Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Grendels Dad posted:

That's because that's a fair way to describe him in a world where drones are public knowledge. It doesn't mean that they'll handle the accompanying commentary well. My point with bringing up The Avengers was that a movie can have those elements, and a remake of RoboCop will have those elements by default. I mean, they'd have to do really badly to not have any kind of subtext in a remake of RoboCop, but the trailers makes it look like it's going to be The Avengers kind of subtext and not the Verhoeven kind of subtext.

The trailer comes right out and says the public face of law enforcement will be an emotionless robot that only thinks it's human. I'm pretty sure that's Verhoeven level of subtext, if not quite so cheesily 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Grendels Dad posted:

That's because that's a fair way to describe him in a world where drones are public knowledge. It doesn't mean that they'll handle the accompanying commentary well. My point with bringing up The Avengers was that a movie can have those elements, and a remake of RoboCop will have those elements by default. I mean, they'd have to do really badly to not have any kind of subtext in a remake of RoboCop, but the trailers makes it look like it's going to be The Avengers kind of subtext and not the Verhoeven kind of subtext.

No it doesn't.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Come on, now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Whether or not this will be a decent movie is up in the air but these arguments are getting funny.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

If the grenades don't have an LED clock counting down, I'm not going to see this movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8vuu0ZbvX8

This was posted by IGN yesterday but I just saw it. It's a training scene in which Robo has to take out a few drones set to some generic rock music. Not particularly exciting, but it's only a minute long and doesn't show him fighting any real threatening enemies.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 17, 2014

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

set to some generic rock music

Come on now... Hocus Pocus is awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ouPGGLI6Q

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pingiivi posted:

Come on now... Hocus Pocus is awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ouPGGLI6Q
Okay, that is pretty great, I won't deny it :neckbeard: But whatever was used in that scene wasn't. It didn't get me hyped up at all.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Okay, that is pretty great, I won't deny it :neckbeard: But whatever was used in that scene wasn't. It didn't get me hyped up at all.

It's the album version of that song.

E: And yeah it doesn't really fit albeit being a great track. The action is boring.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Oh sure, the enemy drones with guns run up straight at you to shoot you and you don't have to deal with them until they're ten feet away? Huh?

Uhhh, now compare that to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBccZfvPXFc

I think I have decided that with Basil Poledouris dead, this film has no hope at all.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pingiivi posted:

It's the album version of that song.

E: And yeah it doesn't really fit albeit being a great track. The action is boring.

To be fair, the action scene hasn't even started.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8vuu0ZbvX8

This was posted by IGN yesterday but I just saw it. It's a training scene in which Robo has to take out a few drones set to some generic rock music. Not particularly exciting, but it's only a minute long and doesn't show him fighting any real threatening enemies.

:geno: That was a pretty lame and boring action scene.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I just got my press invitation to this. Rather ominously its the night before general release (usually press screenings are a month or so out). I don't want to pre-judge the film but in my experience this is not a sign of confidence from the studio.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I just got my press invitation to this. Rather ominously its the night before general release (usually press screenings are a month or so out). I don't want to pre-judge the film but in my experience this is not a sign of confidence from the studio.
Oh no. That along with the lack of promotion really has me thinking that this got shoved out the door :ohdear:

Release is a little less than 4 weeks away, so I guess we'll see if they start pushing it closer to release. But I still have yet to see anything on TV about this or any YouTube ads or...really any promotion at all for this movie aside from cardboard cutouts in the local AMC theaters and the trailer being shown before one movie I saw in theaters.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Young Freud posted:

To be fair, the action scene hasn't even started.

Also there's a :krad: drum and bass version of that song so they might transition into that when the proper action starts.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
The trailers are trying to get butts in seats for an action movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

oneof27 posted:

The trailers are trying to get butts in seats for an action movie.

Yup! I would bet any amount of money there's like ten minutes of action tops in this movie.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

AlternateAccount posted:

Oh sure, the enemy drones with guns run up straight at you to shoot you and you don't have to deal with them until they're ten feet away? Huh?

Uhhh, now compare that to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBccZfvPXFc

I think I have decided that with Basil Poledouris dead, this film has no hope at all.

I had a feeling that this was the scene linked. Man, I can watch it forever.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Such generic action crap...

"On the count of 3.... 3!!!" :downswords:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Vintersorg posted:

Such generic action crap...

"On the count of 3.... 3!!!" :downswords:

I would care more if I thought this was going to be an action movie.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I don't know the background of that song, and I don't really care to. But, it does not fit that scene.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Vintimus Prime posted:

I had a feeling that this was the scene linked. Man, I can watch it forever.

It's interesting that in both scenes, the bad guys(or drones) really present zero threat to Robocop, yet only one of them manages to still be entertaining.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hockles posted:

I don't know the background of that song, and I don't really care to. But, it does not fit that scene.

I dunno, I liked the yodeling that kicked in the last few seconds. Action sequences are crying out for more yodeling.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Looks like Robocop got a 12 rating in the uk.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/robocop-new

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

It's interesting that in both scenes, the bad guys(or drones) really present zero threat to Robocop, yet only one of them manages to still be entertaining.

That makes me think that Maddox or whatever his name is supposed to be the modern equivalent of Boddecker.

Also, notice he's wearing a power armor rig. If Elysium hadn't come out a few months earlier, he might be a somewhat memorable character. Now, it's going to look like a Kruger ripoff.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Slasherfan posted:

Looks like Robocop got a 12 rating in the uk.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/robocop-new

From what I'm able to find the thing you're linking to is the trailer for RoboCop.

And it's from 2007, so it's not the one you're thinking of.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Young Freud posted:

That makes me think that Maddox or whatever his name is supposed to be the modern equivalent of Boddecker.

Also, notice he's wearing a power armor rig. If Elysium hadn't come out a few months earlier, he might be a somewhat memorable character. Now, it's going to look like a Kruger ripoff.

Elysium came out in August. It's a full six months apart. It doesn't look like an Elysium ripoff at all.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

computer parts posted:

From what I'm able to find the thing you're linking to is the trailer for RoboCop.

And it's from 2007, so it's not the one you're thinking of.

That's really strange. It was on the bbfc front page about 10 minutes ago but it's gone now, it was the new one cause I read the cast list.
I hit the back button on my phone and it came up This Page Cannot Be Displayed, very strange.

Slasherfan fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 17, 2014

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Clarence Boddicker almost killed Robocop and he weighed about 160lbs, wore glasses and didn't need any drat power armor.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

AlternateAccount posted:

Clarence Boddicker almost killed Robocop and he weighed about 160lbs, wore glasses and didn't need any drat power armor.

He did need a pile of steel girders to be dropped on Robocop first, though.

The 2010s aren't the 80s in any case, and this is a different Robocop, which is evidenced in some of the quick, smooth movements he makes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AlternateAccount posted:

Well haven't you heard? He's the man in old Detroit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

parasyte posted:

The 2010s aren't the 80s in any case, and this is a different Robocop, which is evidenced in some of the quick, smooth movements he makes.

That line really highlights something unfortunate about NuRobocop. Especially after playing Metal Gear Rising: REVENGEANCE.

See, New Rowboat Cop is neither fish nor fowl nor good red herring. He's not slow like old Robocop, an immovable object that doesn't give a rat's rear end what you throw at him. He's going to keep going, and eventually he's going to crush you.

But he's not like Raiden in Revengeance either. No ridiculous feats, no moves that would snap John McClane's spine like a twig, no backflipping over a robot as he plunges a knife into its skull.

He's just moving like any other action movie protagonist of the last decade.

I mean, I'm not demanding that he move like the old model. I just want something that says the dude lost his humanity in the way he moves, and they don't have it.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
Yeah, I see your meaning. There are some graceful movements in the IGN clip, but there are some that would be at home in the 80s still and others that just look like a dude in a thin rubber suit. I think MGS:R is way over the top for whatever the movie intends, but the scene depicted feels a bit off.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

I just want something that says the dude lost his humanity in the way he moves, and they don't have it.

Everything I've seen in the trailers suggest that this movie isn't about a loss of humanity. Even the design doesn't look like a machine with a human soul trapped deep within, it just looks like Alex Murphy is wearing videogame space marine armour.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, I'm with Moviebob on this one: "Sometimes it's just impossible to not pre-judge these things. The new Robocop movie is probably going to suck. But let's all try to act surprised anyway…when it sucks."

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Speedball posted:

Yeah, I'm with Moviebob on this one: "Sometimes it's just impossible to not pre-judge these things. The new Robocop movie is probably going to suck. But let's all try to act surprised anyway…when it sucks."

Moviebob is a fuckhead.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Everything I've seen in the trailers suggest that this movie isn't about a loss of humanity. Even the design doesn't look like a machine with a human soul trapped deep within, it just looks like Alex Murphy is wearing videogame space marine armour.

I thought people have said the deal is Murphy doesn't realise he doesn't have free will and he's just following a program that makes him think he's choosing to do what he's doing because they just want to make their robots more people-friendly. Sounds like it fits the theme to me.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Grab Meatcastle posted:

I thought people have said the deal is Murphy doesn't realise he doesn't have free will and he's just following a program that makes him think he's choosing to do what he's doing because they just want to make their robots more people-friendly. Sounds like it fits the theme to me.

Someone suggested earlier that this movie might be an inverse of the first- where the original was about Murphy being made into a cyborg, but retaining his humanity, this film might make him look more human, but it's just a facade. I would be very alright with that, since they really can't have him move and look the way he does and keep the old theme.

By the way, the remake and this thread convinced me to watch the original and its sequel. I'm really glad I did.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Apparently, Rubbercop is a machine that think it's a man.
Also, there's a scene in the Chinese trailer where RoboCop is getting shot to poo poo by ED-209 and you can clearly see an edoskeleton beneath his torn flesh.

Castor Poe fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AGirlWonder posted:

By the way, the remake and this thread convinced me to watch the original and its sequel. I'm really glad I did.
You'd never seen them before? I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on them if this was your first time seeing them!

And by sequel I hope you mean Robocop 2 and not 3 ;) You probably did, though, because you'd be singing a different tune if you had watched 3.

• Locked thread