Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jippa posted:

play on a server with active admins.

This is the only anti-cheat that works. Its even better now that you can spectate people to make sure you are banning actual cheaters and not some guy who is really good / got a lucky streak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

FadedReality posted:

I know, and it bums me out that after this long of PB being absolutely terrible, there's still no serious competitor besides VAC.
The MMO market is actually full of competitors in particular, many of which are very aggressive about making it hard to interface with the cheat-protected application, similar to what DRM packages usually do.

The problem is that the greater degree of protection, the more intrusive it is, and in turn, the more problems users will have with it when some awkward hardware or driver setup makes it vomit. PB is at least pretty stable in that regard. The only thing I really don't like about it is that its self-update functionality clearly has issues, running pbsetup isn't something that should be necessary ever.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Can anyone help me start the loving game? I've played a few days after release, then it started crashing constantly. Reinstalled it twice, no deal. Wanted to play again yesterday, reinstalled again and it doesn't even start. It just crashes / disconnects from EA online as soon as I join a server. I've obviously updated the plugin, and my computer isn't dying (well cooled, CPU at 30c GPU at about 50c)

I just don't know what else I can try. I've paid 100$ for base + premium and want my moneys worth :smith:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Skilleddk posted:

Can anyone help me start the loving game? I've played a few days after release, then it started crashing constantly. Reinstalled it twice, no deal. Wanted to play again yesterday, reinstalled again and it doesn't even start. It just crashes / disconnects from EA online as soon as I join a server. I've obviously updated the plugin, and my computer isn't dying (well cooled, CPU at 30c GPU at about 50c)

I just don't know what else I can try. I've paid 100$ for base + premium and want my moneys worth :smith:

What browser are you running battlelog from? Also I assume you have tried the usual update your drivers, tried a bunch of different servers, etc.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

OneEightHundred posted:

Publishing the source code to anti-cheat software would effectively be publishing instructions on how to circumvent it.

It's deliberately as obscure as possible in its operation because without hardware support for software modification restrictions, obfuscation is really the only defense against cheats that emulate superhuman skill.

It's kind of a tricky thing to discuss the usefulness of because keeping the game completely unhackable isn't a sane goal. What are sane goals, ones I think it does accomplish, are limiting how popular a cheat can become and frustrating the development of them. Getting hold of a cheat these days usually takes money and effort, which is a substantial improvement from when public cheats were common (and weren't keyloggers).

I don't think security through obscurity is a good thing here. I think it would be better if it was out in the open with tons of people hacking away on it so the the holes can be patched.

There's gotta be some sort of way to connect all the people that don't want cheaters in their game with the authors of the cheat software (and the game studio so they can patch it). Why do people make cheats? Probably because it's fun to break stuff. There's also probably people that are in it for monetary gain. I assume there's websites you can buy leet hax for games?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I got AA Service Star 100 and it didn't even give me a dogtag or anything :(

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Skilleddk posted:

Have you updated Punkbuster manually? That issue sounds like a textbook punkbuster fuckup.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

fletcher posted:

There's gotta be some sort of way to connect all the people that don't want cheaters in their game with the authors of the cheat software (and the game studio so they can patch it). Why do people make cheats? Probably because it's fun to break stuff. There's also probably people that are in it for monetary gain. I assume there's websites you can buy leet hax for games?

All the people making cheats these days are in it for the money, the best sites even gives you new copies of the game if you get banned.

(or so I've heard)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Back in good old CS days, hacking was a matter of finding one, installing and try to not get banned by all the admins. When PB came out (and a bunch of other anticheats), it was the same but you just had to search for a non-popular one or modify it by yourself.

Today if you want to cheat without having to worry, you just pay a subscription and keep it up to date. But I still don't understand why people do that as routine.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What browser are you running battlelog from? Also I assume you have tried the usual update your drivers, tried a bunch of different servers, etc.

Firefox, done all this but I'll try updating Punkbuster manually. How exactly do you do that though ?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Skilleddk posted:

Firefox, done all this but I'll try updating Punkbuster manually. How exactly do you do that though ?

http://www.punkbuster.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

fletcher posted:

so the the holes can be patched.

This suggests you believe this leads to some unbreakable anti cheat solution. It won't. There is no such thing as flawless. These holes will always exist. It is not sane to expect otherwise. Cheat development can be slowed down and made annoying/harder to accomplish by monitoring development of said hacks and using that to improve detection/make it harder to get hacks to even run but in the end it is flawed human work and it will be circumvented in time.

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

SplitSoul posted:

Any tips on getting past that awful first sniper rifle? I can't hit poo poo. I used to do pretty well with the M40 in BC2.

Do you also use "scope zeroing" ?
Helped me a lot to get a hit on the first shot. Instead of shooting and adjusting... and seeing my target run away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmGej7_jYkA

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I don't know how LevelCap manages to do so well with the M4 with comp/grip/laser to convert it into a big AR. In his video it seems like a laser but when I try it it sprays all over the place.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

WastedJoker posted:

I don't know how LevelCap manages to do so well with the M4 with comp/grip/laser to convert it into a big AR. In his video it seems like a laser but when I try it it sprays all over the place.

Level is actually really loving good. I mean, I know there's the montage effect but he's done a lot of videos where there's barely any editing beyond stitching some long clips together, and he just demolishes poo poo.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Gonkish posted:

Level is actually really loving good. I mean, I know there's the montage effect but he's done a lot of videos where there's barely any editing beyond stitching some long clips together, and he just demolishes poo poo.

Yeah, I watch his stuff and Sandy Ravage and they seem to have a natural ability that far exceeds mine!

I just wonder if there's a technical issue I'm missing out on with the MG4 thing though - I tap the mouse button for a couple of shots to avoid the automatic fire penalty but it still gets a bit wild. LevelCap must do similar but his results are so much more accurate.

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

Regarding PB and how poo poo it is, it seems the new server side program FairFight is actually working pretty well. Their facebook is littered with forum posts of hackers complaining about being FairFight banned. It seems fairfight tracks player action rather than simply detecting cheats and determines if what the player is doing is "humanly possible". I don't know much more about how it works than that but the hacker posts are pretty entertaining.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fairfight works by monitoring player stats to see if they have a ridiculous KDR or getting a silly number of kills regularly at a high rate etc, doesn't it?

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Chronojam posted:

Update punkbuster.

You never know!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Chronojam posted:

You get 1 dogtag for doing god's work :patriot:

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Haha. I think if you counter-knife you get a kill with the knife skin that the other person is using. I have 2 kills with the carbon fibre and 1 with each the survival and scout, without having any of them unlocked.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

A fly swatter tag would be pretty cool actually

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Man, I've revisited the MG4 the last couple of days, and that video posted previously is spot on. It just utterly wrecks mans. I'm only running with holo/stubby at the moment, since I don't want the auto fire penalties from comp/brake, and haven't unlocked hbar or flash hider yet. Seriously, just playing on infantry servers (dom/tdm), I was going 13-3, 19-6, etc. I've done that well from time to time with other guns (usually the MTAR on a more cramped map), but not as consistently as with this beast.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

MAVFLAM on the China Rising maps is just silly. You can control the entire loving map with just a handful of dudes with SRAWs or Javelins. It's NUTS.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

Gonkish posted:

MAVFLAM on the China Rising maps is just silly. You can control the entire loving map with just a handful of dudes with SRAWs or Javelins. It's NUTS.

Or an attack heli with laser guided missles. With the laser guide as the gunner you can kill any vehicle by yourself. I took out a mobile AA and tank because they were sitting right next to each other. I also took out an attack boat with 1 strafe. The things do a ton of damage.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Guillermus posted:

Today if you want to cheat without having to worry, you just pay a subscription and keep it up to date. But I still don't understand why people do that as routine.

Probably for the same reasons us "honest" people use(d) the UCAV/SOFLAM glitches.

To bath in the glorious waves of pubby tears.
Only they are taking it to the next level.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Taking advantage of glitches is completely different to cheating.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

mcbexx posted:

Probably for the same reasons us "honest" people use(d) the UCAV/SOFLAM glitches.

To bath in the glorious waves of pubby tears.
Only they are taking it to the next level.

Most of the people willing to pay for cheats or to, back in the old days, J-Tag an Xbox are doing it to have inflated internet numbers. It is very important to these people to have larger numbers than other people to prove that they can spend more money to get banned from BF4 than other people.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

WastedJoker posted:

Fairfight works by monitoring player stats to see if they have a ridiculous KDR or getting a silly number of kills regularly at a high rate etc, doesn't it?

Yes, and from what I've read every FairFight ban is reviewed by humans to avoid the VAC/PB controversies. No idea how true that is, but it seems about right since it likely just flags things outside of statistical averages for review.

Lazyfire posted:

Most of the people willing to pay for cheats or to, back in the old days, J-Tag an Xbox are doing it to have inflated internet numbers. It is very important to these people to have larger numbers than other people to prove that they can spend more money to get banned from BF4 than other people.

It's a control thing.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

krispykremessuck posted:

Yes, and from what I've read every FairFight ban is reviewed by humans to avoid the VAC/PB controversies. No idea how true that is, but it seems about right since it likely just flags things outside of statistical averages for review.
That would make more sense, I've seen people put up crazy numbers in a game and not get kicked by Fairfight. Though the server did try to kick the guy because apparently breaking 100 kills over a 1000 ticket game is a "clear sign of cheating" when the guy was flying a little bird with two repair bros all game.

krispykremessuck posted:

It's a control thing.

I had a friend in college who would challenge people to Halo 2 games, but stipulate that it had to be on Xbox live. He then called his friend who was great at the game over, or me if that guy wasn't around, and had that one of us beat whoever he challenged. That's the feeling I get from a guy using cheats in online shooters, you don't want to be good at the game, but you want to make it look like you are.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

A no skill lock on weapon should never be a one hit kill.

I forget how much skill it takes to fly an unkillable flying tank.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

WastedJoker posted:

Incorrect. It monitors how you move and shoot. It can tell if you're getting several snap headshots at 100 meters out within a second which would set off a flag for using an aimbot and/or no recoil cheat. If you're just being really amazing but not using a cheat, you'll be fine.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
BF3 almost, almost got me to understand the mentality of the average cheater for one very simple reason. I found that I really, really hated dying to a speck on the horizon 500 meters away. Dying isn't so bad; dying to an enemy you never even saw because of bloom effects, or dull graphics, or retarded-rear end 3D spotting lighting you up from half a world away... less so. I never went so far as actually cheating, but I was sorely tempted to find out if there was a hack that highlighted enemy soldiers so they didn't just blur into the background all the goddamn time. While headshotting you through a bush with the aid of floating doritos.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 17, 2014

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I forget how much skill it takes to fly an unkillable flying tank.

So your solution to an overpowered thing is to make something else even more overpowered? Maybe dota is a better game for you?

There are ways to decrease somethings power without making everything else around it more powerful such as possibly decreasing it's power. See: The last patch.

Judas Priest
Jul 25, 2003
Breaking the law, breaking the law
Just thought I'd post that I've been enjoying the game much more since switching to hardcore.

Bind C to full map. Not as useful as the minimap obviously, and they should add a compass, but it helps quite a bit.

It's a much prettier game in hardcore. Not nearly as many ugly HUD elements.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

SplitSoul posted:

Any tips on getting past that awful first sniper rifle? I can't hit poo poo. I used to do pretty well with the M40 in BC2.

The first rifle is fine with the right attachments and approach. 4x scope, canted iron sights and straight pull makes it a beast at medium range, headshots all day. It sucks for traditional long range sniping but low to medium range stuff is solid. If you have no attachments then stick to iron sights for awhile and go help the squad, kills will come. If you just want to unlock all of the sniper rifles or attachments quickly then find a no explosives locker server, use an XP booster and go hang outside with that setup. Its annoying but you'll get it done quickly.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

ChirreD posted:

Do you also use "scope zeroing" ?
Helped me a lot to get a hit on the first shot. Instead of shooting and adjusting... and seeing my target run away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmGej7_jYkA

That would require unlocking the range finder. I have six kills and an accuracy of 6.28% with the CS-LR4. :lol:

Merica
Jan 28, 2009
90% of your shots don't really need the zeroer unless you are going for ###420SICKH3ADSH0TZ##. It's mainly useful over 500M. prone and bipod also helps a ton.

also the ACE-23 is cheating. That with the angled grip is a death laser.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Seriously, find a sniper only server and use 3.4x and a laser sight, it's really really easy because you get to skip the hard part of fighting against non sniper weapons and skip straight to the terrible pubbies.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/battlereport/show/1/423765706858243776/351592419/
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/battlereport/show/1/423759974339389120/351592419/

Those are the only reports I have on my feed (apparently you can't open them from view all), but seriously, it's easy and guaranteed to be much more enjoyable than sitting on a hill going for headshots. You just find a good area and plonk a tugs down and kill anyone who approaches it.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Backhand posted:

BF3 almost, almost got me to understand the mentality of the average cheater for one very simple reason. I found that I really, really hated dying to a speck on the horizon 500 meters away. Dying isn't so bad; dying to an enemy you never even saw because of bloom effects, or dull graphics, or retarded-rear end 3D spotting lighting you up from half a world away... less so. I never went so far as actually cheating, but I was sorely tempted to find out if there was a hack that highlighted enemy soldiers so they didn't just blur into the background all the goddamn time. While headshotting you through a bush with the aid of floating doritos.

The only time I ever cheated in a game was back when Counter-Strike was a big deal but still on WON rather than Steam. I was in like high school so I was dumb, and this was back when the worst thing that could happen if you got caught was getting banned from an individual server. I'd always been an okay player, but not great, and I was getting tired of the game after having played it for a really long time. For me, it was mostly about the variety of playing the game in different ways ("ok I'll turn on wallhacks but not aimbot and only use pistols this game") rather than feeling good about winning or whatever.

• Locked thread