Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, this was posted in the Games thread: An article about the solo eggplant run.

He talks about how the eggplant and the other tricks needed to do the run were first discovered. Then he goes through the run step by step, talking about what's going on.

And interestingly, in the end he links to a way to break the game I did not know about yet: Draining Olmec's lava pit. Some strange things happen. If he had gone a little bit lower he would have just died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Slowbeef posted:

I have one issue:

Would a "no attack button" run end up that much differently than a pacifist one? I mean, to hardcore Spelunky fans sure, but I think it'd go fairly similarly to this one. I guess the only exception would be how lucky he got with bombs.

Absolutely! You can still jump on enemies or use bombs/ropes against them, it's not about avoiding. The hard part is your inability to open crates without bombs or have any sort of holdable item.

Also to the person who said "(poo poo, I forgot, you couldn't buy things from shops either!)", isn't the purchase button a different button? Stuff like spike shoes, spring shoes, cape, etc, all get picked up automatically when you walk over them, so I think they don't use the button.

And yeah you can't "throw" bombs manually (or pick them up) but I think using them automatically throws them? Which, once again, fine because it doesn't use the attack button.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

The stream is also hilarious.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Killing the mummy by getting a crushing block to ram into it was a really clever play. Brilliant run, Psych.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.
NEW UPDATE

Here's for a challenge that you can get actually rewarded for! This one has a Steam achievement, but that certainly won't make it any easier to get. It's time to tackle the Low Scorer run, which means we must beat the game without picking up any money. And yeah, it's a lot harder than it sounds. At least Kaubocks is here to help me out!

Chapter 20 - No Gold Run

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I've been trying this for a few days now, I almost always die on the door to olmecs lair or grab a hidden goldbar in the snow in the ice caves! :argh:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I think my favorite part from the out-takes was when you dropped your shotgun in the abyss and then dived after it. NUUUU MY SHOTGUN! Also, holy hell this looks like a difficult challenge, and not in a fun way.

What was the music for the out-takes?

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Dang. There were some really good Rube Goldberg deaths in that montage.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

When, in the montage, you fell into the bottomless pit in the ice caves while holding a damsel, I was wondering what gold boy and damsel's conversation would be like after they realize they weren't hitting bottom any time soon.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Carbon dioxide posted:

When, in the montage, you fell into the bottomless pit in the ice caves while holding a damsel, I was wondering what gold boy and damsel's conversation would be like after they realize they weren't hitting bottom any time soon.

"So then...what's your name?"

"Isabella Van Damme Sel. Yours?"

"Golden Boy. So...what are you doing later today?"

"Falling. Same as you."

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The failed run section of the video was hilariously tragic at times. I tried the no gold run a little after watching the video and couldn't get past the jungle. It's a lot harder than it looks.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I'd like to see a miserable run, sped up and put to Yakkity Sax.

How about a Two Hour Run. Where you exploit the Ghosts in order to Become a Double Millionaire

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I guess getting a monkey to make you drop money doesn't really work?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Gensuki posted:

I'd like to see a miserable run, sped up and put to Yakkity Sax.

How about a Two Hour Run. Where you exploit the Ghosts in order to Become a Double Millionaire

Spooky run; ghostrun every single level for maximum profits.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Boxturret posted:

I guess getting a monkey to make you drop money doesn't really work?

You guess right: you can't pick up any gold to begin with.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

How about a real ironman? Hurt yourself in 1-1 until you have one health, then beat the game. Without picking up any health along the way. :unsmigghh:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Manatee Cannon posted:

How about a real ironman? Hurt yourself in 1-1 until you have one health, then beat the game. Without picking up any health along the way. :unsmigghh:

Same results could be achieved by just doing a 'perfect' run where you restart if you take damage.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Man no gold runs are so infuriating! Everything was going well and then I get a dark temple level in the last map before Olmec. An arrow trap knocked me into a gold bar. :(

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
It's a shame the game doesn't acknowledge that you just did a no gold play through. It seems like a big gently caress you to finally get through the game without picking up a single coin and at the end they're like oh and here's $50,000. :dealwithit:

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Neruz posted:

Same results could be achieved by just doing a 'perfect' run where you restart if you take damage.

The failure reel wouldn't be as funny, though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Law posted:

It's a shame the game doesn't acknowledge that you just did a no gold play through. It seems like a big gently caress you to finally get through the game without picking up a single coin and at the end they're like oh and here's $50,000. :dealwithit:

Yeah, I was kind of hoping that the giant idol would crumble to dust, or turn out to be made of chocolate, or something.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Law posted:

Well, there IS an achievement. :shrug:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

And you'd be part of the 0.3% of players to obtain that achievement. I'll get it one day...

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, I was kind of hoping that the giant idol would crumble to dust, or turn out to be made of chocolate, or something.

Or the game scrolls right to show needy children and your character throws the idol to them for charity.

But crushes them.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Slowbeef posted:

Or the game scrolls right to show needy children and your character throws the idol to them for charity.

But crushes them.

Gotta fill that Kapala.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Crossposting from games to vent my frustration:

Fuckkk this is like my third run where I get ruined like before olmec! I made it through a dark level without picking up gold, was almost at the door to olmec. Then I ran into this alcove so i can bomb the exit and not have any gold fly into me. A gold bar was hidden behind the decoration! :suicide:

Edit: Roughly 100 deaths later...

Victory at last! This was the most intense olmec battle I ever had. I went into it with 2 bombs, a few ropes and a shotgun. After digging a huge pit (and dispatching even more enemies with lots of near death situations with snakes and scorpions) I managed to kill him and claim my ultimate prize!

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 18, 2014

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Attempting to get Low Scorer was what made me take a long break from Spelunky. There is just so much gold to get :suicide:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you're still looking for challenges how about "I knew him well." Pick up the first skull you find and monolog to it as if it were your departed childhood friend incessantly, live. Beat the game with it.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 19, 2014

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Eifert Posting posted:

If you're still looking for challenges how about "I knew him well." Pick up the first skull you find and monolog to it as if it were your departed childhood friend incessantly, live. Beat the game with it.

You are aware that he's not doing live commentary, and that there are serious logistical issues with doing so for a roguelike when one is trying to record a successful run, yes?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Hedera Helix posted:

You are aware that he's not doing live commentary, and that there are serious logistical issues with doing so for a roguelike when one is trying to record a successful run, yes?

Still, nothing stopping him from monologuing in post.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A skull is about as fragile as an eggplant, right?

Just like in real life.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Im pretty sure skulls are exactly as fragile as the eggplant, so a skull run and an eggplant run would be precisely the same, except without the eggplant head reward at the end.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Ghost invasion: Get a crystal skull, after you angered Kali enough to be haunted by a ghost, and wait for the 2:30 mark.
I.e. spawn three ghosts at the same time.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Air is lava! posted:

Ghost invasion: Get a crystal skull, after you angered Kali enough to be haunted by a ghost, and wait for the 2:30 mark.
I.e. spawn three ghosts at the same time.

This isn't possible. The ghost spawned by the crystal skull and the one from angering Kali are the same ghost, so you can only ever have two ghosts at once.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hedera Helix posted:

Yes.

:getin:

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

This isn't possible. The ghost spawned by the crystal skull and the one from angering Kali are the same ghost, so you can only ever have two ghosts at once.

I have seen a video where it happened. It is entirely possible.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
You can only get three ghosts on a restless dead/rushing water combo level. Killing Ol' Bitey and retrieving the other idol will both spawn ghosts.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I think it depends on the order.
If you wait until the first ghost appears, before you get the skull a seconde one should spawn. And destroying the altar afterwards should work as well.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
Here we go, this is what I was referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98xS7000ano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!

Professor Clumsy posted:

Here we go, this is what I was referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98xS7000ano

Shouldn't you be able to quadruple ghost if you also bombed enough altars too?

• Locked thread