Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Louisgod posted:

Assuming you've played the others and understand that you're not going to get a $40 experience out of it, it's great. It can be shallow at times and taking pictures can be frustrating due to the poo poo camera the 3DS has but overall I'm liking it more than I thought I did. Also, some of the textures in the game are unreal for the 3DS, it's a very, very pretty game but the frame rate can suffer from it.

Fishylungs posted:

Honestly, you might want to get the demo to find out yourself. I take the opposite position as Louisgod, it's not that good and I personally wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It looks nice but that's about it. Also yea if you're going to build a major feature of your game around the mediocre camera, maybe give a little more leeway on the picture rates.

Hjalmar posted:

The game is pretty much all charm but not much in the way of actual gameplay. If you love exploration and colorful characters, it's worth the $10 absolutely. I'm having a nice time with it.

But, yeah, the photo system is super janky.

so YMMV I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I got the demo anyway, which is why demos are important. If I don't like it, I can always get one of the Oracle games and the Phoenix Wright DLC case.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hold on, if you don't have the PW DLC that needs to be your first priority purchase. It's the best case in the game.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Regy Rusty posted:

Hold on, if you don't have the PW DLC that needs to be your first priority purchase. It's the best case in the game.

So basically, you're saying get it. Works for me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Unoriginal posted:

Yeah, but I'm glad they didn't. Probably never would have picked it up if it were more, and it is really short. Of course duck mode makes up for that.

It's a cell phone game so while they probably could've charged more, I don't think most people would consider the 3D effects worth a premium.
Personally the only thing I don't like about it are the beep-boop Atari sound effects that are totally out of place with the aesthetic of the game.

Xenomorph posted:

I've been sitting at 10/10 Notifications for the Bravely Default demo, and I've yet to start playing it.

Set up HomePass and you'll get dozens of StreetPass Miis an hour.

Even before setting up HomePass, I'd make sure to visit Nintendo Zones as often as possible to fill up mine and my daughter's 3DS XL will a ton of Miis. On the way home from work, I could just slow down when next to a McDonald's and my green LED would come on.

StreetPass is one of the coolest things, ever.

Is there a good tutorial anywhere of how to get that working? I have an old unused WRT54G and I remember reading somewhere that you need one of those, but I can't seem to find an explanation anywhere of what you need to actually do.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 17, 2014

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How's Brain Age: Concentration Training? I'm thinking of picking it up.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I got a streetpass and a mii from it but didn't get a guy in my bravely default village. Do I have to do something special?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You get exactly what you'd expect from it with no surprises. Try the demo. I think it's pretty fun and somehow spent 30 hours on it before eventually getting tired of it.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

big mean giraffe posted:

I got a streetpass and a mii from it but didn't get a guy in my bravely default village. Do I have to do something special?

I think it only works if the person you're SPing with has the BD demo/game as well.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

How's Brain Age: Concentration Training? I'm thinking of picking it up.

It's fantastic, the concentration training is actually very difficult and the Block Head extra puzzle mode is probably my favorite extra out of any of the Brain Age titles.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Ursine Asylum posted:

I think it only works if the person you're SPing with has the BD demo/game as well.

Yeah. I was totally surprised that someone I work with also had the demo. Now I have 2 villagers. Yay!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

You also get a villager every time you streetpass, even if it's the same person.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Davincie posted:

Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars was a good TBS right? I saw it laying around for 70% off so I picked it up but the entire backside is filled with health warnings so I can't really discover if it actually is (a good) one.

I think only Animal Crossing has it beat for most time played on my system, but even then I'm pretty sure GR:SW is still ahead by a little bit.

loving buy it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

did the physical copy of rune factory come with a club nintendo insert? I'm pretty sure gamestop just sold me a used copy as new and I'm curious if I got screwed out of some coins as well. If not I'll probably just keep it and chalk it up to gently caress gamestop.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My spare 3DS I keep around has been giving me 3 streetpasses a day. Had I not gone to the Evangelion 3.0 showing, I would still have had enough to reach the 20 villager mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sgYx6hv5fI

Persona Q has been updating weekly with character videos. This guy translated them all so far.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Was someone still needing one of the game cases? I have oodles of spare coins and can't get stuff sent to me in the UK.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Aerofallosov posted:

Was someone still needing one of the game cases? I have oodles of spare coins and can't get stuff sent to me in the UK.

I do. :shobon: I want the Animal Crossing case, so any codes you could spare would be great. Email me at my username @gmail

One of the unfortunate things about buying a refurbished 3ds is that they don't give a club nintendo insert. Could have used the 160 coins.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Awesome! posted:

did the physical copy of rune factory come with a club nintendo insert? I'm pretty sure gamestop just sold me a used copy as new and I'm curious if I got screwed out of some coins as well. If not I'll probably just keep it and chalk it up to gently caress gamestop.

No, it did not. A lot of third party games don't come with coins.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Aerofallosov posted:

Sure! Do you want anything in return?

PM me or mike.nln@Gmail.com

Stormangel fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 18, 2014

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I Watson posted:

No, it did not. A lot of third party games don't come with coins.

Thanks. I think it was probably used because it wasn't sealed but the dude assured me it was brand new and the plastic just got damaged and it was their only copy. Then I got home and noticed the manual was a little beat up in a way that looks like it happened as it was being taken out of the case. Oh well lesson learned never trust the people at gamestop.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Dropped my XL in just the way to make it so the L bumper doesn't autoreset after being pushed down and needs a little nudge back up afterwards. Ugh.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Sent out an e-mail and a PM! I think that claims my coins for now.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

How long does it take for Product Registration survey to come up? I just registered 3D Land and I'm 5 short of the 400 for a case and that'll bump me up to 400.

Nevermind I already did it woops. Post play surveys come up 7 days after registering so I should be good.

DannyTanner fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 18, 2014

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

deadwing posted:

It's fantastic, the concentration training is actually very difficult and the Block Head extra puzzle mode is probably my favorite extra out of any of the Brain Age titles.

Does it actually help with concentration?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Aerofallosov posted:

Sent out an e-mail and a PM! I think that claims my coins for now.

Sent a reply. Things like this make me wish that I had PMs, but oh well. I can live.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does it actually help with concentration?
All the Brain Age stuff is kind of pseudosciency bullshit but I feel like Concentration Training is the first one that really sticks with you after you stop playing. Almost all the exercises are about focusing for a couple of minutes and memorizing long lists of items, really gives your working memory a good workout.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
How long do the cases stay in the shop? They seem cool, but I'm 100 off and there's no more games I'm interested in buying/playing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MeruFM posted:

How long do the cases stay in the shop? They seem cool, but I'm 100 off and there's no more games I'm interested in buying/playing.

Until they sell out, so you delay at your own risk basically.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Just got my DS and i'm loving it. I could only play it for a bit because the charger isn't going to arrive until at least tuesday but what's blown me away the most so far with the base unit is the augmented reality game. Within moments i forgot i was actually scanning a card sitting on my table.

Have they made a lot more with that other than the base cards in the box?

Also, i'm trying to figure out what games to get for the system and in which order (that might not matter as i've got a fair bit of a backlog of games to play through).

I got OoT, Starfox 64 and Fire Emblem: Awakening, but was really just looking at the games i like the sound of with >70% on gamerankings.com.

So, the new Zelda, Super Mario Land, maybe one of the pokemon games, Mario Kart and Bravely default, etc.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Kin posted:

I got OoT, Starfox 64 and Fire Emblem: Awakening, but was really just looking at the games i like the sound of with >70% on gamerankings.com.

So, the new Zelda, Super Mario Land, maybe one of the pokemon games, Mario Kart and Bravely default, etc.

Some of those games you mentioned (particuarly Fire Emblem and Bravely Default) are absolutely huge in scale, so maybe some games focused around the idea "pick up and play for 10 minutes on the move"?

Pilotwings, Ridge Racer, Mario Tennis and Mario 3D land are all pretty great, and don't feel like you have to play for half an hour at a time. If you didn't already play them on the regular DS, then Wario Ware, Rhythm Heaven and the first New Super Mario Bros are all must-plays.

Pretty much all first-party Nintendo games are worth playing through, and never drop below £30 at retail, so if you happen to see them used for less than £15, rest assured that you can pick them up, play through them and then easily sell them back to a store for roughly what you paid for them.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

That's solid advice. There are sales I learn about in this thread all the time.

Oot has master quest. Which, come on. That's what your really playing to get.

Fire Emblem is long and tends to suck people in for multiple playthroughs.

Play what you got and wait for sales on the others. Might help you decide when on drops.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Do the games go on sale that often?

It was my one major gripe about getting back into console gaming. The massively high prices compared to PC. :smith:

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Every once in a while and it's usually $5-10 off, although Fire Emblem was $15 at Bestbuy for like a day in December.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Kin posted:

Did you ply GTA: Chinatown Wars on the DS? If you didn't then get that. It's brilliant.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Tyma posted:

Some of those games you mentioned (particuarly Fire Emblem and Bravely Default) are absolutely huge in scale, so maybe some games focused around the idea "pick up and play for 10 minutes on the move"?

Pilotwings, Ridge Racer, Mario Tennis and Mario 3D land are all pretty great, and don't feel like you have to play for half an hour at a time. If you didn't already play them on the regular DS, then Wario Ware, Rhythm Heaven and the first New Super Mario Bros are all must-plays.

Pretty much all first-party Nintendo games are worth playing through, and never drop below £30 at retail, so if you happen to see them used for less than £15, rest assured that you can pick them up, play through them and then easily sell them back to a store for roughly what you paid for them.

If you don't care about the minigames that came with it, I'd say skip that one and buy New Super Mario Bros. 2 instead, mostly because the main game of NSMB is inferior to just about every other 2D Mario out there (except maybe if you only compare bosses).

Rest is pretty accurate.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

I'd recommend looking into the StreetPass stuff and see if you like it, because for me it's been one of the best, most unique features of the 3DS, and the $15 to get the premium games was worth it for Flower Town and Monster Manor alone.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Kin posted:

Do the games go on sale that often?

It was my one major gripe about getting back into console gaming. The massively high prices compared to PC. :smith:

Digital games never go on sale in our region. Physical copies only seem to go on sale in very small quantities when a retailer is dumping stock, or a supermarket uses games as a publicity stunt to get people through the doors (as seen recently when Morrisons put 3-6 copies of Ocarina Of Time and Mart Kart 7 on sale at £3 in every store).

The used games market is insanely robust, though. If you only intend to play through the games once, you can order on Amazon to get a good price on a launch day game, and then sell them for cash at CEX a month or two later. Right now, CEX will buy Starfox and Link Between Worlds off you for £5 less than the price of a new copy. £5 is a pretty good price to pay for the pleasure of playing through LBTW.

Here's a CEX buy list for first-party games (cash over the counter).

Starfox : £7
Mario Kart : £14
Luigi Mansion 2 : £14
Mario & Luigi Dream Team : £14
Pokemon : £15
Mario 3D Land : £16
Fire Emblem : £17
Zelda Ocarina Of Time : £17
Animal Crossing : £18
Zelda A Link Between Worlds £25

As a general rule, you can probably find a used copy of a game, play through it, and expect to sell it to a used game store for £5 less than you paid for it. It seems to ring true even for launch games.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 18, 2014

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Tyma posted:

Digital games never go on sale in our region. Physical copies only seem to go on sale in very small quantities when a retailer is dumping stock, or a supermarket uses games as a publicity stunt to get people through the doors (as seen recently when Morrisons put 3-6 copies of Ocarina Of Time and Mart Kart 7 on sale at £3 in every store).

The used games market is insanely robust, though. If you only intend to play through the games once, you can order on Amazon to get a good price on a launch day game, and then sell them for cash at CEX a month or two later. Right now, CEX will buy Starfox and Link Between Worlds off you for £5 less than the price of a new copy. £5 is a pretty good price to pay for the pleasure of playing through LBTW.

Here's a CEX buy list for first-party games (cash over the counter).

Starfox : £7
Mario Kart : £14
Luigi Mansion 2 : £14
Mario & Luigi Dream Team : £14
Pokemon : £15
Mario 3D Land : £16
Fire Emblem : £17
Zelda Ocarina Of Time : £17
Animal Crossing : £18
Zelda A Link Between Worlds £25

As a general rule, you can probably find a used copy of a game, play through it, and expect to sell it to a used game store for £5 less than you paid for it. It seems to ring true even for launch games.

Hmm, interesting, I'd never heard of CEX before. I just checked out their site though and if they're just dealing with used copies of the games it seems a bit off that they're charging the equivalent of the price of a brand new version for a lot of them.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Buying used games is usually pointless unless you can find a good deal. I got a copy of Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow for about €10 in a Gamestop once. I'd never buy a used game unless it was cheap as dirt like that. I'd rather just buy something new rather than a used copy for €5 less (and usually Amazon will sell stuff for cheaper than a used copy in Gamestop or CEX).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I guess Conception II is really coming this spring - sans Europe, boo - since the ESRB have issued their rating for the game. And for a JRPG that involves making off-springs with your class mates, it's M for Mature. Finally a game for discerning adults! :v:

• Locked thread