Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Ginguiser, sadly only the first ep fansubbed thus far in a fit of madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That sounds familiar, is that the one where the pilot launch sequence is about ten minutes long?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Sakurazuka posted:

That sounds familiar, is that the one where the pilot launch sequence is about ten minutes long?

Yes

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Ginguiser is the greatest of the 70's era super robots, possibly the greatest super robot of any era.

We will not see its like again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I am (very slowly) downloading the one subbed ep as we speak.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I really want to see Guinguiser in a (mainline) Super Robot Wars game. If people can get hyped about God Mars and it's amazing two frames of animation, they'll go nuts for Ginguiser's janky, jerky, confusing animation!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mercury Crusader posted:

I really want to see Guinguiser in a (mainline) Super Robot Wars game. If people can get hyped about God Mars and it's amazing two frames of animation, they'll go nuts for Ginguiser's janky, jerky, confusing animation!

Don't forget the explosions that take 30 seconds to finish

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Ginguiser would no doubt have one of the greatest spectacles of a Combo Finisher Special with any/all of the J9 outfits---the lines between painfully awkward and stilted would blur unto lavish style.

Then Baratack would appear from nowhere and minds would be blown.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So during this week a friend had me watch Zeorymer. Is it just me or were there bits of interesting stuff in there or is it just a bad show with a manga that we don't speak of here.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
There's a manga of Zeorymer? :psyduck:

Actually, looking it up, there's three of them. :psyboom: I thought no one liked Zeorymer even in Japan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

So during this week a friend had me watch Zeorymer. Is it just me or were there bits of interesting stuff in there or is it just a bad show with a manga that we don't speak of here.

Zeorymer could be interesting but whatever interesting stuff it has isn't getting fleshed out in that period of time.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I didn't know there was a comic but the show is fantastic.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

The manga was published in an adult magazine and has a lot of very questionable scenes. I'll leave it at this, they aged Miku up. A lot. You have been warned. The manga is also pretty garbage so there's that too.

SethSeries fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 19, 2014

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Zeorymer the OAV and Zeorymer the manga are both very different from each other. The greatest difference is that the OAV was good.

Aside from the original manga, there was also Zeorymer Omega, a separate manga that came out maybe five years ago. I haven't heard much about it aside that it exists.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Schwarzwald posted:

Aside from the original manga, there was also Zeorymer Omega, a separate manga that came out maybe five years ago. I haven't heard much about it aside that it exists.

So that's what I kept hearing about. :catstare: I thought it was another OVA attempt that never really happened.

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

The manga is also pretty garbage so there's that too.

Yeah, there is no redeeming point to the original Zeorymer manga, and the OVA has only a very tenuous link to it (even the robot designs are different, including Zeorymer itself to a degree), so just... don't ever read it.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 19, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Is Zeorymer the one where someone gets raped with an icicle or something

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

muike posted:

Yep. That is also the part where I dropped the entire manga.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ImpAtom posted:

Zeorymer could be interesting but whatever interesting stuff it has isn't getting fleshed out in that period of time.

I actually think the opposite; Zeorymer's an amazing show because it doesn't gently caress around and overstay its welcome.

muike posted:

Yeah, don't read the manga. The show lacks this, thankfully.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zeorymer the show owns. There is no manga. :tinfoil:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

I actually think the opposite; Zeorymer's an amazing show because it doesn't gently caress around and overstay its welcome.

I think there's a midpoint between the two which Zeorymer doesn't hit. It doesn't overstay its welcome but it really could afford to flesh itself out a bit more. Had it been a 6 episode OAV or something I think that would have been the sweet spot for it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm surprised to see so much love for the Zeorymer anime. I thought I was the only one who really liked it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's generally well received whenever it comes up in here. I had fun with it and so did some other super robot loving friends of mine.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Shaezerus posted:

Yeah, there is no redeeming point to the original Zeorymer manga
I disagree. I like Zeorymer's design better in the manga.

You can see a lot of what would be come Guyver in it two years later.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Awaken Zeorymer is still probably the most ominous sounding BGM I've ever heard in mecha anime though.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Zeorymer is just one of those 80s OVAs that excels in being a dumb popcorn flick and not much else, so it gets a pass by me. You just kind of shut off your brain and accept that there's this giant robot that is nigh invulnerable and can destroy everything as though it were a giant metallic Arnold Schwarzenegger and the plot is just thin enough to barely support itself.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mercury Crusader posted:

Zeorymer is just one of those 80s OVAs that excels in being a dumb popcorn flick and not much else, so it gets a pass by me. You just kind of shut off your brain and accept that there's this giant robot that is nigh invulnerable and can destroy everything as though it were a giant metallic Arnold Schwarzenegger and the plot is just thin enough to barely support itself.

The way I've always described the show is that it's not really a giant robot show. The robot fights are among the most one-sided slaughters in robot anime. It's a character drama about a cast of characters with ridiculously overexaggerated character flaws.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Zeorymer simply belongs to that small, but hopefully always growing, stable of Super Robot shows that is made ridiculously better once tended to by the SRW team in SRPG form---all the disjointed and off bits just get melted down to distilled awesome.

On a lighter note than the freaky stuff in Zeorymer's manga, let us indulge in the Good Times that is this esteemed gentleman's cover of Daimos Battle Turn and generally become unable to do other than hype ourselves up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-njXcQsMrk

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Zeorymer simply belongs to that small, but hopefully always growing, stable of Super Robot shows that is made ridiculously better once tended to by the SRW team in SRPG form---all the disjointed and off bits just get melted down to distilled awesome.

On a lighter note than the freaky stuff in Zeorymer's manga, let us indulge in the Good Times that is this esteemed gentleman's cover of Daimos Battle Turn and generally become unable to do other than hype ourselves up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-njXcQsMrk

That was majestic.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
He has some other well done pieces related to Super Robot fare like Mazinger Z and whatnot---but Daimos being Daimos, well, Battle Turn just has the most soul to it of anything so far. I've looped this so many times now it is just nuts...

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUzwb8UQMDY

This dude is great.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So as of late I got to add Kotetsushin Jeeg and Turn A to my completed series week. The latter felt like a poignant and just amazing end to one of my favorite series and the ride it took me on was completely perfect. Honestly it's soured pretty much all non Build Fighters series in my mind, because they just know feel like they were the unnecessary sequel years later.

Jeeg on the other hand was just dumb, fun and the last couple of episodes succeed in upping the previous episode in ways to make me go gently caress yes. Jeeg was fun and honestly between it and Shin Mazinger, I really hope we get more "Shin" series.

SethSeries fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 26, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I believe you mean 'Latter,' not former.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

I believe you mean 'Latter,' not former.

That I did. Thanks for catching that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Currently watching Star Driver, haha, this show is about a subtle as a brick to the face. 'Break the maiden's seal', indeed.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Star Driver is brilliant. I was watching Utena and thought I'd give it a look just to compare, and found it was fantastic. I legit don't know which to finish now.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Definitely Utena.

Also, Layzner is almost finished! They've released a whopping 5 episodes this month which is normally the amount they'd release in a year. Just one episode to go!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26TRBXmL3Vo

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Wow, could that actress show any less emotion? :effort:

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
Baxinger 8 is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
Baxinger 9 is up.

Even with the occasional month like January, this seems to be on track to finish faster than Bryger.

• Locked thread