Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

So, Obama is conning/entraping the poo poo out of corrupt politicians who are involved in ABSCAM? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flour Moth
May 22, 2001

WHAT HATH PONIES WROUGHT

Okay, that one just made me feel a lump in my throat for a moment.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Somebody should send this to Gorrell. It's what a cartoon of his would look like if he actually drew every panel (and had good opinions), right down to the sillyface red-text "twist" ending. I can't help but think of this one as being addressed directly to him.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

:(

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

The best thing about this is if Ted Rall actually saw this his ego wouldn't let him realize he's being insulted. His reaction would just be "Yep, one of my many adoring fans made this and the guy's got a good point, Pro-Hitlers and anti-Hitlers were pretty much the same, eat poo poo fascists!"

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
People on The Onion's Facebook page are having trouble understanding the greatness of Thorsberg Bronze-Quill Award winning cartoonist Stan Kelly.

https://www.facebook.com/TheOnion/posts/10103740906590069

quote:

Oh my. Say it isn't so. The Onion going the way of Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck & Co.?

quote:

So ... someone at The Onion doesn't understand climate change?

quote:

Who is this cartoonist blowing for his job? All of his cartoons are stupid.

quote:

Maybe the weakest most ignorant political cartoon, evah!

quote:

This isn't comedy or even satire it's outright political commentary.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Mt. ORourke posted:

These are awesome and you should post more if you have them

Here are few more Prohias editorial cartoons I found:

"Comrade Nikita, here is a so called "Castro" asking if you fulfilled your promise and placed his statue next to Lenin in the Red Square."

(thanks, ElMaligno!)

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 19, 2014

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

dsriggs posted:

People on The Onion's Facebook page are having trouble understanding the greatness of Thorsberg Bronze-Quill Award winning cartoonist Stan Kelly.

https://www.facebook.com/TheOnion/posts/10103740906590069

quote:

I hear this sort of ignorance all the time. Typically from people who didn't actually watch "An Inconvenient Truth."

:goonsay:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

"Comrade Nikita, here is a so called "Castro" asking if you fulfilled your promise and placed his statue next to Lenin in the Red Square."

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

For those new to the thread, I should mention the Onion's short-lived "Behind the Pen" series that talks about the cartoon and the process of creating it. What makes it good is that Kelly talks about the cartoon, not Ward Sutton, so you have a grumpy old man complaining about his editor or mother while trying to talk up very simple jokes or tricks as very technical parts of the craft. Sadly, it only lasted a few months before they stopped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_aDIY8OJog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVtbkQMwJS4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGVrd1ih6cs

There's a few more than this, but those are among the best.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Does anyone know if that's Sutton voicing Kelly or someone else?

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Mister Beeg posted:

Here are few more Prohias editorial cartoons I found:

(thanks, ElMaligno!)

If anyone bought the one massive Spy vs Spy collection that came out years ago, it has a whole bunch of these and more. Although that might be what your source is!

This one is probably the one that I remember the strongest. It's not particularly amazing, but the quote really stuck with me for whatever reason.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
You know, I--and I'm sure a lot of other posters in this thread--disagree with the message of Prohias' cartoons, but his artistic talent, comedic talent, wittiness, and the way he synthesizes all of those things to develop his message as effectively as possible is more than respectable.

To me, the best thing is that unlike other good art/bad opinions cartoonists--particularly Allie--he doesn't have to lie or be willfully dense to get his point across.

Truly one of the greats

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

JaggerMcDagger posted:

If anyone bought the one massive Spy vs Spy collection that came out years ago, it has a whole bunch of these and more. Although that might be what your source is!

"Tovarich" came from the book, but the others are from other sources.

Here are the others from that book:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

"Because the US controlled dictator will kidnap and torture me to death."

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Or, alternatively, "Because your OSS/CIA-backed death squads enjoy raping and killing people who have the slightest Soviet sympathies."

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Mister Beeg posted:

(thanks, ElMaligno!)

Also, don't miss the sacks of Cuban sugar ("Azúcar Cubana") and bars of Cuban currency ("Divisa Cubana") next to Khrushchev's desk, making some rather obvious implications about the USSR's motives.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Gonzo McFee posted:

"Because the US controlled dictator will kidnap and torture me to death."

I think Prohias would have been OK with that...

Anyway, I found a site with a HUGE collection of Prohias editorial cartoons. I'll post few at a time. Many are pantomime, but there are also quite a few with Spanish captions.

These ran 1960-61 in El Avance Criollo, a Spanish language paper from Miami, Florida.

Reading these cartoons gives "Spy vs. Spy" an entirely new meaning.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 19, 2014

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Vogon Poet posted:

Perhaps the truth... is somewhere in the middle? :shrug:

This needs more recognition. Fantastic.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Vogon Poet posted:

Perhaps the truth... is somewhere in the middle? :shrug:

I actually thought the original version of this was less about "The truth is in the middle" and more about "I hate the both of you and will thus commence trolling you." :shrug:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Ted Rall doesn't fit into your pathetic sheeple binaries! His genius and moral self-possession allow him to see that sometimes...murder is justified!!

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

Randler posted:

I actually thought the original version of this was less about "The truth is in the middle" and more about "I hate the both of you and will thus commence trolling you." :shrug:

It's Rall, so sure, there is an element of that, but he has literally said that he thinks abortion is murder but should still be legal. If that's not "truth is in the middle" I don't know what is.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Vogon Poet posted:

It's Rall, so sure, there is an element of that, but he has literally said that he thinks abortion is murder but should still be legal. If that's not "truth is in the middle" I don't know what is.

And it's not that he thinks that but that he thinks it for no good reason other than "look how much better, smarter, and cooler I am than the rest of you." He's picked his position just to stick it to both sides.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I'd just like to congratulate Bruce Tinsley for not using hilarious racial stereotypes in a comic containing both a muslim and a jew.

Also, gently caress you, Bruce Tinsley.

achillesforever6 posted:

I bet Rogers knows what it's like to have rivers that are choke full of industrial and literal poo poo. I mean all three of our rivers were probably worse than the Elk.

If we had a complete deregulation, there would be nowhere for the toxic waste to spill out. ABC.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Wow, am I crazy, or does Castro look like a giant stereotypical Jew? Of his most defining features, "huge nose" is not one I'd describe Castro with.

Or maybe I'm just confusing that person in the cartoons with Castro.

Horon
Sep 9, 2008

quote:

"A Defense of Abortion" has an argument that acknowledges the fetuses right to life but still says abortion is morally permissible. It's the one about waking up with the violinist stuck to your body, if you've heard of it. However,

Chantilly Say posted:

And it's not that he thinks that but that he thinks it for no good reason other than "look how much better, smarter, and cooler I am than the rest of you." He's picked his position just to stick it to both sides.

Edit: I had put in the fake cartoon before

Horon fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 19, 2014

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Vogon Poet posted:

Where has he said abortion is murder, though? Maybe it's a question of semantics, but I don't think "A fetus is alive." (this cartoon) is the same thing as "Abortion is murder." Also, the fact that Rall's position arguably lives in a place equidistant to the pro-life and the pro-choice positions does not make it necessarily unsound. (And technically "Fetus is alife" and "Woman have the right to an abortion" are not even opposite to each other, making the "Truth in the middle argument" not applicable.)

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Rorus Raz posted:

Wow, am I crazy, or does Castro look like a giant stereotypical Jew? Of his most defining features, "huge nose" is not one I'd describe Castro with.

He's supposed to be Castro. Not sure why Prohias drew him with such a big nose.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Randler posted:

Where has he said abortion is murder, though? Maybe it's a question of semantics, but I don't think "A fetus is alive." (this cartoon) is the same thing as "Abortion is murder." Also, the fact that Rall's position arguably lives in a place equidistant to the pro-life and the pro-choice positions does not make it necessarily unsound. (And technically "Fetus is alife" and "Woman have the right to an abortion" are not even opposite to each other, making the "Truth in the middle argument" not applicable.)
Here: Ted Rall: Hypocrites aplenty on both sides of abortion issue

Ted Rall posted:

If you believe (as I do) that life begins at conception, then the first cellular division after a sperm fertilizes the ovum represents human life every bit as much as you and me. The standard feminist claim that a baby isn’t alive until it’s “viable” outside the womb is ridiculous. I know 25-year-olds who aren’t fully viable.

Abortion is murder. In my view women have — and ought to continue to have — the right to murder their unborn babies. Each abortion is a tragedy, some necessary and others not, and all of them are murder

Basically never give Rall the benefit of the doubt.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

ThirdPartyView posted:

So, Obama is conning/entraping the poo poo out of corrupt politicians who are involved in ABSCAM? :confused:

Don't give it too much thought. Payne is just ripping off a joke he heard on Jay Leno.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Randler posted:

Xylo already beat me to pointing this out, but remember; Rall is a contrarian rear end in a top hat. Of course he loving said abortion is murder, but fetuses should be murdered. That's not him saying the truth is in the middle, that's him saying he wants both sides of the abortion argument to come together in hating him. He wants to piss off as many people as possible because that'll make them remember Ted Rall has lovely opinions, and any time you think of Ted Rall, his dick grows a little more erect.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

That mannequin looks familiar.

Aha.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

This would have been :thurman: without the speech bubble and the label. Hmm, how else could we visually illustrate that he is not just homeless but also a veteran?

There should be some kind of DHS poster on the wall, too.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Rorus Raz posted:

A large nose is actually pretty typical of Fidel Castro caricatures. It's unfortunate, but with a beard, hat and prominent nose, depictions are going to line up with the Judaic stereotype. It's unlikely that Prohias has any antisemitic leanings- at least I've not detected them in his work.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

wrap it up, public schoolailures
homeschooling is better :colbert:

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mighty Stalker posted:

This is magical.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Mighty Stalker posted:

I will never get over that homunculus child. Fourth panel is killing me.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Mighty Stalker posted:

Out of the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Discendo Vox posted:

A large nose is actually pretty typical of Fidel Castro caricatures. It's unfortunate, but with a beard, hat and prominent nose, depictions are going to line up with the Judaic stereotype. It's unlikely that Prohias has any antisemitic leanings- at least I've not detected them in his work.

Dude, you've seen Spy vs Spy. That's actually a tiny nose. :colbert:

• Locked thread