Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Morby posted:

Wouldn't it be wonderful of Thompson turned out to be Tebow 2.0? :allears:

I will gladly tolerate my quarterback trying to proselytize to me if he's winning a natty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

RumbleFish posted:

I will gladly tolerate my quarterback trying to proselytize to me if he's winning a natty.

USC winning a natty would be real cool.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Apparently Jordan Lynch stunk up that East-West Shrine Game. 2 of 7 for 3 yards, and 2 picks. QB rating of -25.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Korranus posted:

Apparently Jordan Lynch stunk up that East-West Shrine Game. 2 of 7 for 3 yards, and 2 picks. QB rating of -25.

BG destroyed him :getin:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Korranus posted:

That doesn't seem like a large sample size, although the two picks is concerning. I also have trouble putting a ton of stock into QB's during that game. They are basically forced into a system with only a few days to actually pick up an offense and practice with their players. I think its great for watching WR's, RB,s defensive players, and maybe some line play (but less so than the others).

You can watch WR's run routes, how they get open, how they get seperation and catch the ball. You can watch the DB's coverage skills, so I think its best for evaluating those positions. RB is still really dependent on the line, but you can see how they are at blocking and picking up blitzes, and also how they are as a runner (decisive, a dancer, speed vs. power, etc). I just think QB is the hardest position to come in looking good during these games. In fact, come to think of it, has any QB really set the game on fire? Senior Bowl or Shrine? It just seems like they all either do mediocre or terrible.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Lynch will probably get converted to H-Back or something and end up with maybe a package where he takes direct snaps and gets to improvise

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It amazes me to know that Steve Spurrier is a part of my earliest football memory: a 1985 Tampa Bay Bandits promotional team photo from Subway. How or why I had it, I have no idea. poo poo, I wonder if I still have it... Also amazes me that he hasn't ever replicated his Florida days or tried the NFL more.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Sash! posted:

It amazes me to know that Steve Spurrier is a part of my earliest football memory: a 1985 Tampa Bay Bandits promotional team photo from Subway. How or why I had it, I have no idea. poo poo, I wonder if I still have it... Also amazes me that he hasn't ever replicated his Florida days or tried the NFL more.

Dude likes saying what he feels and playing golf and gets paid millions to do it, why would he upset the apple cart?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He was a fairly spectacular failure in the NFL, I don't think it's entirely his choice that he hasn't had another shot.

Apollo Greed
Dec 26, 2013

R.D. Mangles posted:

Hutson Mason sounds like a Confederate General.

I bet Tannehill has an ebay store selling CSA memorabilia. You can't come back from a mullet that glorious. No way.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

He was a fairly spectacular failure in the NFL, I don't think it's entirely his choice that he hasn't had another shot.

But it was the Redskins, where it seems everyone has been a spectacular failure for the last 20 years.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Sash! posted:

In light of the Redskins experience, why on earth would he go back to the NFL? He has a cushy job at South Carolina and has brought them to prominence more than any other HC in their history, all while being paid millions, playing golf, and spending his Augusts shirtless on a yacht and trolling people. It must be an amazing way to spend your 60s.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sash! posted:

But it was the Redskins, where it seems everyone has been a spectacular failure for the last 20 years.

Well no one is likely to hire Jim Zorn as head coach anytime soon either, but anyway he was really bad by even those standards. Like he honestly thought that the only thing keeping Danny Wuerffel and Shane Matthews from being great NFL players was that they weren't playing for him anymore. And by all accounts the whole NFL lifestyle and time crunch didn't agree with him well either. Some guys are just meant to be college coaches, it's fine.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The NFL lifestyle is really a giant leap from college and its not hard to see why some guys will never try it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Sash! posted:

While he hasn't exactly replicated his glory days at Florida, its not like he has been bad. He has South Carolina constantly competing for the SEC East, which is as good as they have ever been. If he wins a single NC there, it would be almost the same.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
If he won the goddammed division it'd be the same thing considering how historically bad usc has been.

I mean, the guy is already (deservedly) a saint for most usc fans.

Dead Pressed fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 19, 2014

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

Dead Pressed posted:

If he won the goddammed division it'd be the same thing considering how historically bad usc has been.

We've already won the division did you mean the conference.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

He had a better record in two years with Washington than Shanahan did in his first two years. It wasn't a success by any means, but he is right on par with every Redskins coach since Gibbs (outside of Shotty).

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

UNC's WR Ryan Switzer had an insane amount of punt returns this year, 5. He also looks funny because of his stubby legs, long torso, and upright running
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN4Sia8jMAs

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Dead Pressed posted:

We actually haven't been THAT bad historically; just mediocre and generally underwhelming. I guess 0-11 is still fairly fresh in some people's minds, though, and yeah, that was real loving bad.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
https://vine.co/v/hlXUvPXJEgl

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

This is the best

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005

RumbleFish posted:

We actually haven't been THAT bad historically; just mediocre and generally underwhelming. I guess 0-11 is still fairly fresh in some people's minds, though, and yeah, that was real loving bad.

I think it's less that SC has been terrible historically in terms of record, which has been admittedly mediocre as hell, but more they've just been so drat unfortunate it was always easy to say "God those guys are lovely." Never being ranked #1, losing the one chance at that by blowing it against a 3-win Navy team, reaching a #6 ranking then rattling off 6 straight losses, and on and on and on. The fact that Spurrier has managed to turn a team with such a history of expecting the worst and never getting the best into a consistent winner, while keeping recruits in-state and actually winning his bowl games, etc is nothing short of a miracle. If he actually won a championship there, they wouldn't be able to build his on-campus statue fast enough. They still may even now.

Also Rumble I know you know all of this already I'm just expanding on it, I'm pretty sure we were students there about the same time so we saw all the mediocrity.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

whitepeople.rv

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

This is a pro-click. Wish it were longer.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

But why isnt he doing the robot? :confused:

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

and it's gone :(

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe
And the dude who posted it was never heard from again

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Oodles of Wootles posted:

And the dude who posted it was never heard from again

He will be running stairs for the next thousand years.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

RumbleFish posted:

We actually haven't been THAT bad historically;

This isn't really true.

Spurrier has been great at recruiting and program development at South Carolina, not so much on the offense or at least until Shaw came around.

SmellsLikeToast
Dec 30, 2005

A GREATER MAN THAN I DESERVE
What was the vine?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
I assume it was Saban doing the electric slide.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Frinkahedron posted:

Yep it was

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Kim Jong Il posted:

Spurrier has been great at recruiting and program development at South Carolina, not so much on the offense or at least until Shaw came around.

The absurd thing is that Shaw was the first Spurrier-recruited QB to complete his eligibility here. Given Spurrier's reputation as an offensive mastermind and quarterback guru, it's wild that it took so long for him to get some quality players at that position. Of course, Stephen Garcia remains the most talented QB recruit we've ever pulled, and had he played up to his full potential, who knows.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Frinkahedron posted:

It was and I'm glad I saw it and it will live on in my heart forever

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Apparently current UNC football players are trolling NC State fans about Russell Wilson. College football best football.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Video of The Saban Slide™.

http://deadspin.com/nick-saban-doing-the-electric-slide-1504708481

e: Also Miami lineman Malcolm Bunche is transferring to UCLA to play out his final year of eligibility.

VDay fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 20, 2014

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20140119/fowler-davis-musburger-nfl-network/

News: Brent Musburger no longer being considered the #1/Headliner announcer for ABC/ESPN.

Views: I hope he stays on for a while, he calls the best games and his excitement every time he shouts "FUMMMBLE!" is magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Maxwells Demon posted:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20140119/fowler-davis-musburger-nfl-network/

News: Brent Musburger no longer being considered the #1/Headliner announcer for ABC/ESPN.

Views: I hope he stays on for a while, he calls the best games and his excitement every time he shouts "FUMMMBLE!" is magical.

Agreed. To me he's the voice of OU-Texas and, while I know he can't go on forever, I do wish he could stay a little longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1MpHG5x6q0

Who could have called this any better? (click for a "gently caress Texas")

• Locked thread