Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

tankadillo posted:

Thanks for the suggestions for app launchers, even though that's not what I wanted. I assume the answer to my original question is "no."
Probably the easiest way to do this is just manually create aliases for all the applications you want to access on the desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Feenix posted:

I google but didn't uncover much. Any ideas?

Just delete the Google account and re-add it.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Is it possible to stop OS X from trying to mount my linux drive on every boot? It's a tad annoying having to click ignore on that pop-up window every time.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath
Anybody have suggestions for the possible customization options available on Mavericks 10.9.1? I'm talking stuff like changing the window colors, the menu bar, etc. I don't have 10.9.2 because I'm not a developer, and some really nice themes and apps I keep uncovering only work with 10.9.2, 10.9, or anything below Mavericks in general. I keep Googling and searching, but most notable apps and tweaks that I can find only seem to work on Lion, Snow Leopard, and anything older. I'll settle with anything that works, even if my only customization is something mundane like changing the dock color.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Experto Crede posted:

Is it possible to stop OS X from trying to mount my linux drive on every boot? It's a tad annoying having to click ignore on that pop-up window every time.

Try out http://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-mac/

You could also try out this free read-only FUSE extension first, but I have no idea whether it will work in 10.9 as it is fairly old. http://sourceforge.net/projects/fuse-ext2/

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
I recently changed from Firefox to Safari - lots of pages weren't displaying properly and the Firefox address bar search behaviour change wound me up too much. I've found an alternative for RSS feeds that need authentication (newsbar, but please suggest better alternatives if they exist) but the biggest problem I'm having is having to log in to sites much more frequently. In Firefox I would log in every couple of weeks but safari I'm having to do it daily. Is there a setting I can change?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I know it just came out, but just wondering if anyone updated to 10.9.1 that wasn't one of the beta/dev testers. I largely regret ever updating to 10.9 on my late iMac 2012 model, and if it's more unstable I don't want to deal with it.

I used to be able to handle a boot once a week, now i'm rebooting every second day. (I imagine part of this is from not clean installing 10.9).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nuntius posted:

I recently changed from Firefox to Safari - lots of pages weren't displaying properly and the Firefox address bar search behaviour change wound me up too much. I've found an alternative for RSS feeds that need authentication (newsbar, but please suggest better alternatives if they exist) but the biggest problem I'm having is having to log in to sites much more frequently. In Firefox I would log in every couple of weeks but safari I'm having to do it daily. Is there a setting I can change?
Sounds like a bug where it can't write the cookies properly or something. I'd guess try repair permissions, otherwise I just found this possible solution:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/23870796#23870796

the_lion posted:

I know it just came out, but just wondering if anyone updated to 10.9.1 that wasn't one of the beta/dev testers. I largely regret ever updating to 10.9 on my late iMac 2012 model, and if it's more unstable I don't want to deal with it.

I used to be able to handle a boot once a week, now i'm rebooting every second day. (I imagine part of this is from not clean installing 10.9).
Have you looked into or have any clue of why you're having issues? Like looked at console logs or noticed any patterns or anything.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

the_lion posted:

I also have a late 2012 (well March 2013 but it was the same iMac) and do not have that problem at all.

What is happening that you need to reboot?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

japtor posted:

Have you looked into or have any clue of why you're having issues? Like looked at console logs or noticed any patterns or anything.

I don't think i've ever opened console before, actually. Maybe I should read up on that.
I can see there are some errors and a lot of stuff under "all messages," is there something specific I would be looking for?

benisntfunny posted:

I also have a late 2012 (well March 2013 but it was the same iMac) and do not have that problem at all.

What is happening that you need to reboot?

Regularly I get things like lockups and spinny wheel of death, regular 5-10 second pausing too-particularly in ical.

Occasionally I get graphic glitches (I suspect this one is related to using more than 1 Adobe App at once or to do with VMWare Fusion.) I'm hoping it's not a damaged card, it only appears very occasionally.

It's a great machine, but I swear 10.8 was 100% more stable. I'm probably just being lazy not doing a clean install to see if that fixes it all.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

the_lion posted:

I don't think i've ever opened console before, actually. Maybe I should read up on that.
I can see there are some errors and a lot of stuff under "all messages," is there something specific I would be looking for?

Regularly I get things like lockups and spinny wheel of death, regular 5-10 second pausing too-particularly in ical.

Occasionally I get graphic glitches (I suspect this one is related to using more than 1 Adobe App at once or to do with VMWare Fusion.) I'm hoping it's not a damaged card, it only appears very occasionally.

It's a great machine, but I swear 10.8 was 100% more stable. I'm probably just being lazy not doing a clean install to see if that fixes it all.

Anything in activity manager showing lock ups? I had issues with systemstats on my rMBP related to sd cards and something related to citrix on my iMac consuming 100% of a core.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

japtor posted:

Sounds like a bug where it can't write the cookies properly or something. I'd guess try repair permissions, otherwise I just found this possible solution:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/23870796#23870796

Thanks, I've tried all these and we'll see if that works. I didn't think about a problem, I had just assumed it was some silly setting.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

tankadillo posted:

Thanks for the suggestions for app launchers, even though that's not what I wanted. I assume the answer to my original question is "no."

It's interesting that you mention wanting this feature because I think Apple would get rid of the desktop and replace it with something like launchpad if they could get away with it. Too many people use the desktop as a file dump though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Speaking of the desktop, is there any way to make image capture save screenshots to somewhere else?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

wdarkk posted:

Speaking of the desktop, is there any way to make image capture save screenshots to somewhere else?

I Googled and found this :

http://osxdaily.com/2011/01/26/change-the-screenshot-save-file-location-in-mac-os-x/

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I've run into a weird problem on my 2011 MBP since installing Mavericks. The machine has been out of service for a month while waiting for a new SSD (long story), and I installed the OS today from a USB drive. Everything works fine (so far), except I'm unable to change the volume via the menu bar or the keyboard. It started working again after a reboot, but it doesn't work now after another. I'm still getting audio from the internal speakers, though. Any ideas? A quick search showed that some people have had success after a reboot, but there doesn't seem to be a permanent fix.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I'm getting really tired of finder.

When you move a folder on top of a folder sharing the same name, the old one is deleted? Instead of, you know, merging them?

Also, why can't I cut folders and paste them?

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

BiohazrD posted:

I'm getting really tired of finder.

When you move a folder on top of a folder sharing the same name, the old one is deleted? Instead of, you know, merging them?

This has to be my biggest complaint about moving to a mac a few years ago. Seems like merge is no longer a thing.

BiohazrD posted:

Also, why can't I cut folders and paste them?

Hold down alt when you click paste and it will move the folder instead of copy.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Anyone use either Leaf or ReadKit? I'm looking for a replacement for Reeder since the developer is dragging his feet with supporting Feedly, and both seem okay but I want to know if there's any major issues with either.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

syndex posted:

This has to be my biggest complaint about moving to a mac a few years ago. Seems like merge is no longer a thing.

Hold down alt when you click paste and it will move the folder instead of copy.

Will that work with shortcuts? So I would do Option + Control + V?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

BiohazrD posted:

Hold alt/option when you are clicking and dragging (a green + should show up) and when you release a dialogue box will pop up with an option to merge the directories. Drag into the parent directory, not onto what you want to merge.

'Command + alt/option + shift + V' works too.

BiohazrD posted:

Will that work with shortcuts? So I would do Option + Control + V?

Yes.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
May I take this opportunity to recommend TotalFinder.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

pipes! posted:

May I take this opportunity to recommend TotalFinder.

I just wish someone would do an actual TotalCommander version for OSX. :(

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
I really like the gestures for browsing, but I really want one for switching between tabs. Is this something I would do by installing 3rd party OSX software, or is there a Chrome extension for it?

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

tractor fanatic posted:

I really like the gestures for browsing, but I really want one for switching between tabs. Is this something I would do by installing 3rd party OSX software, or is there a Chrome extension for it?

Find out what the keyboard shortcut is for what you want to do, then use bettertouchtool to bind a gesture to it. I like having three finger side swipes for going to adjacent tabs, but anything will work.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Mac OS X and Mac Software - Install BetterTouchTool (and Alfred)

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Find out what the keyboard shortcut is for what you want to do, then use bettertouchtool to bind a gesture to it. I like having three finger side swipes for going to adjacent tabs, but anything will work.

This. To be more specific, Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab are the commands for switching to the next (right) and previous (left) tabs. Binding this to mouse keys/gestures is about the first thing I do on any machine ever.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is it alright to upgrade Skype to the latest version? IIRC there was a point somewhere where an upgrade screwed things up so I've been hitting "later" since version 2.8.0 it seems.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm surprised that version still works, honestly. You're not missing much except a terrible one window interface and more ads.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

carry on then posted:

I'm surprised that version still works, honestly. You're not missing much except a terrible one window interface and more ads.

Well, it no longer recognises my iSight (ever since the update that removed the old drivers, and none of the updates since have been able to restore the functionality)… so there's that, if new versions even fix that problem.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

tractor fanatic posted:

I use nextab I currently have the following set up

Prev tab: stationary middle, tap index
Next tab: stationary index, tab middle
Reload: stationary index & ring, tap middle
Close tab: stationary middle & ring, tap index

Works well enough for me.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

carry on then posted:

Anyone use either Leaf or ReadKit? I'm looking for a replacement for Reeder since the developer is dragging his feet with supporting Feedly, and both seem okay but I want to know if there's any major issues with either.

Been using Readkit with Feedbin for a few months now and I'm very happy with it. Slightly preferred Reeder but until it's updated ReadKit is fine.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

carry on then posted:

I've used both with feedly.

Leaf is more limited in sorting and reading options. I have a way I like my reader set up, and Leaf doesn't let me do that (sorted by feed, then time from earliest to latest), nor does it let you custom anything about the controls or the icon.
Readkit is a lot more customizable, and lets me sort articles the way I like them, and lets me turn off the unread count in the dock icon.

Of course neither of these is as good as my old favorite, netnewswire3, back when google reader was still a thing.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

benisntfunny posted:

Anything in activity manager showing lock ups? I had issues with systemstats on my rMBP related to sd cards and something related to citrix on my iMac consuming 100% of a core.

Not that i've seen, but I never thought to keep an eye on it. Maybe that's what it is when i'm running VMware, because that's when I have the glitches.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I notice that Mavericks syncs with iOS's text shortcuts (did this happen before Mavericks?).

However, I can't get any of the shortcuts to expand without explicitly clicking the shortcut suggestion box that pops up. By the time I've typed the shortcut, moved my hand to the mouse, moused over the little shortcut bubble, clicked it, and moved my hand back to the keyboard I could have typed the whole drat thing anyway.

I've tried various keys (tab, enter, escape) that I thought might cause the shortcut to expand to no avail. Surely there is some way to do this with the keyboard or this whole "shortcut" thing is just useless.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Choadmaster posted:

I notice that Mavericks syncs with iOS's text shortcuts (did this happen before Mavericks?).
It was added in Lion.

Also notice that every symbol that appears has a number under it? Press the number. I assume this is what you're talking about :

edit: Oh you're talking about customer user shortcuts like 'omw' and such? Nevermind -- I didn't realize OS X synced those now. Can we get a screenshot of your problem? I don't understand the interface issue you're having. As best as I can tell, they behave like autocorrect.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 22, 2014

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It was added in Lion.

Also notice that every symbol that appears has a number under it? Press the number. I assume this is what you're talking about :

edit: Oh you're talking about customer user shortcuts like 'omw' and such? Nevermind -- I didn't realize OS X synced those now. Can we get a screenshot of your problem? I don't understand the interface issue you're having. As best as I can tell, they behave like autocorrect.

Related question: can I turn the suggested character thing off somewhere? It prevents me from repeating a character by holding the key down.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

This is still in the OP from when Lion came out. Maybe try that and report back?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How do you turn off the "hold key to get symbols" thing that was adopted from iOS?
    In Terminal, run:
    code:
    defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool NO
    You might have to restart any open apps.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Choadmaster posted:

However, I can't get any of the shortcuts to expand without explicitly clicking the shortcut suggestion box that pops up. By the time I've typed the shortcut, moved my hand to the mouse, moused over the little shortcut bubble, clicked it, and moved my hand back to the keyboard I could have typed the whole drat thing anyway.

I've tried various keys (tab, enter, escape) that I thought might cause the shortcut to expand to no avail. Surely there is some way to do this with the keyboard or this whole "shortcut" thing is just useless.

Did you try space? I can't get it to work in safari for whatever reason (or at least in this text input box), but I know it works in colloquy because it's been annoying me there.

Actually, I just checked in text edit, and it's there. Just hit space when the little box pops up, assuming you mean this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
If you're not using text expansion you're a crude dude who hates being lazysmart.