Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

I'm going to say Sylar, mostly because of how poorly written his character was. He was pretty much the prime example of the producers not knowing what they wanted to do. He swung from bad guy to good guy to bad guy and just constantly back and forth.

Thinking about Heroes is just reminding me of all the incredibly stupid things they did. Like Nathan's giant hobo beard he grew in exactly one week.

What about the amazing Larter sisters? A new one every season! Also Mohinder turning into a giant fly was pretty loving funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
Despite my love for hating The Following season 1, I have to admit that last night's episode was actually on the positive side of enjoyment. No riffing necessary, it was perfectly agreeable, which makes me happy. I want to love Bacon and Purfoy.

Also, Heroes was terrible and the worst character was Alejandro and his sister, She Who Should Not Cry.

Tupping Liberty posted:

Season 5 episode 5 now, and I have to know: did Paris Hilton have a contract to be in every CW show? I mean, I'm only going by this and Veronica Mars, but still...

The most surprising part of that episode was that Paris Hilton was actually decent in the role.

Manos del Sino fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 21, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

I'm going to say Sylar, mostly because of how poorly written his character was. He was pretty much the prime example of the producers not knowing what they wanted to do. He swung from bad guy to good guy to bad guy and just constantly back and forth.

Thinking about Heroes is just reminding me of all the incredibly stupid things they did. Like Nathan's giant hobo beard he grew in exactly one week.

It was more of what happens when the breakout character was meant to be the villain so they had to figure a way to keep him on the show.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Mohinder was the worst. I just remember him sleeping and painting. He did other stuff right? I don't remember.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CaptainHollywood posted:

Mohinder was the worst. I just remember him sleeping and painting. He did other stuff right? I don't remember.

He also gave speeches. Lots of stupid obvious speeches.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

bobkatt013 posted:

Heroes was basically Grey's Anatomy

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

CaptainHollywood posted:

Yeah, he held doors shut like it was his purpose in life. I would love it if someone was able to post that. gif of him holding the door shut so we couldn't see Peter vs Sylar: The Greatest Battle In The History Of The World.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

bobkatt013 posted:

When that new iPad Air commercial first came on I wracked my brain trying to figure out which episode of Heroes Apple had lifted it from.

Then I recognized Robin Williams' voice.

That's right, Heroes forever associated uplifting voiceover narration with itself in my mind because they used it so drat much.

[Edit: It helps that Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society does kinda sound like Mohinder.]

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Manos del Sino posted:

Also, Heroes was terrible and the worst character was Alejandro and his sister, She Who Should Not Cry.

Mya y Alejandro were muy bueno, tho, especially compared to the NBC "Vote for the Next Heroes" online thing where they produced a short for the winners, one a super-soccer guy who can see graph paper in his mind and do angles, trajectories, and other math sciences.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Remember the internet power lady who dies between seasons in one of their online tie-in comics?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Remember the internet power lady who dies between seasons in one of their online tie-in comics?

Remember the guy who can phase and he gets shot and killed?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

That's less of a grasp than any inclusion of Micah after S01. And my word was his copycat cousin the biggest waste in the entire show.

Chick should have become one of the main characters.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

How can we forget West?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

How can we forget West?

Bobkatt013 is an alien. Bobkatt013 is not a robot.

E: VVVV And here I thought the total lack of chemistry was a total lack of acting talent.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Remember the guy who can phase and he gets shot and killed?

That was some behind the scenes poo poo since apparently he and Ali Larter didn't like each other and when forced to chose the producers of course chose the pretty white woman instead of the black man.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

soapgish posted:

That's less of a grasp than any inclusion of Micah after S01. And my word was his copycat cousin the biggest waste in the entire show.

Chick should have become one of the main characters.

The copycat cousin watching wrestling then using the 619 in a fight was the best thing ever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Did any of the new characters from Season 2 survive the season?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Manos del Sino posted:

The most surprising part of that episode was that Paris Hilton was actually decent in the role.

For those of you who don't watch Supernatural, the premise of that episode is that a pagan god uses a wax museum to take on the forms of different historical and modern-day figures. Which leads to hilarity like Paris Hilton monologuing about the biblical apocalypse, James Dean's car murdering somebody, Abraham Lincoln exploding heads, and and the brothers having a knock-down, drag-out fight with Gandhi.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Did any of the new characters from Season 2 survive the season?

David Ander's was not completely ignored. They were willing to bring him back to kill. Stephen Tobolowsky and Kristian Bell also survived long enough to die in season 3.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Also I think that Sylar is responsible for the continuous misspelling of Skyler White's name, and thus Sylar is the worst.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

David Ander's was not completely ignored.

Despite what the show tried to express about Hiro being his own hero, and even the champion of legend, I still think Takezo Kensi is Adam Monroe.

And in that, Hiro was a villain. Because other than that whole fiasco, he did no good in all his power. Opposite.

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Also I think that Sylar is responsible for the continuous misspelling of Skyler White's name, and thus Sylar is the worst.

Unisex name, and I've never met a likeable one. I did like Mrs. White on BrBa, though; as a safe and sane person, I agreed with most her choices.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Criterion pool is toasty, but is there any other heat but being a DVR catching the occasional missed airing?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What about the amazing Larter sisters? A new one every season! Also Mohinder turning into a giant fly was pretty loving funny.

Going to be honest here, the sisters are what kept me coming back. It was too ridiculous not to keep watching and hoping for a quadruplet to turn up.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Best thing on Heroes was the Andocycle, no discussion.

Edit: And the inept shilling for various Nissan cars.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Decius posted:

Best thing on Heroes was the ... inept shilling for various Nissan cars.

To be fair, it worked marvelously. Even now I can't see one of the cars without chirping, "NISSANVERSA!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I still think that was really clever for product placement.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Jingleheimer posted:

Okay, if you had to pick the absolute worst character on Heroes, who would it be? Too bad Minka Kelly was never on it or it would be a no brainer.

this is a really tough choice considering how many of the characters just sucked. Do you mean actively annoying, poorly acted, or most useless? under the first category is Matt or Mama Petrelli or Adam Monroe or Daphne from the third season, the second Nikki, and the third, Isaac or Simone or the Spanish siblings or ...I want to say Monica? or Kristen Bell's character or Claire's real mom or D.L. or loving West.

I always liked Sylar even when he made no sense because Zachary Quinto is AWESOME.
I think we can agree the best character was always Claire's dad.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
My favorite character is Peters irish gf he abandons in the future concentration camp.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So I finally got around to watching the first two episodes of True Detective tonight, and it made me wish that I had a time machine so that I could go back like 6 years and tell past-me that some day I'd be watching Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson sit at a table and monologue, and that I'd be absolutely captivated. At this point I don't care if the next four episodes are just filler and nothing more than the two of them recapping those times that they went to get KFC.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is House of Lies well liked? I really dig Ben Schwartz, Kristin Bell and Lauren Lupkus but for some reason stalled at the first episode when it first aired. Didn't dislike it, just didn't grab me as much as I hoped. I'm watching the HOL:Live show and I'm not even finished through the first skit and it's amazing, so much so I'm stopping it to watch with friends later. If the TV show is as good as this, then I'm definitely going to jump back in.

fake edit: sorry, House of Pies.

I loved the Happy Endings Live from last year too, production quality was terrible compared to this (I can actually understand the cast easily), but it was so damned funny. I wish they did one this year, regardless of the shows demise :(

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I just started watching Cheers now that my Futurama rewatch is almost complete... Holy hell, this show is loving fantastic.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Sober posted:

Well later seasons of Heroes is also proof Bryan Fuller obviously knows what he is doing because when he came back to do a few episodes they were surprisingly good.

Hahah the fascinating thing was, reading those posts about Heroes, I was mentally going over a checklist of what I've seen recently, pulling out the Heroes/Dexter moments, then pulling out the Hannibal moments. Then I read your post and giggle like a dumbass. I just woke up, that might have something to do with it.
But yeah, Fuller is a talented maniac and everyone should go to youtube and see him block Hannibal with Mads. caffeinecaffeinecaffeine

soapgish posted:

Mya y Alejandro were muy bueno, tho, especially compared to the NBC "Vote for the Next Heroes" online thing where they produced a short for the winners, one a super-soccer guy who can see graph paper in his mind and do angles, trajectories, and other math sciences.

I try and do this with synaesthesia as often as possible. Graph paper is a good idea, but a coloured gradient is even more useful in some situations, especially dynamic ones when you can't adjust the 'grid' of it on the fly if you need to. How come I've never heard of this show?

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 21, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The kid who plays Glenn Close's son on Damages looks so much like Katie Sackhoff it's loving with my head.

....and my feelings.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

VDay posted:

So I finally got around to watching the first two episodes of True Detective tonight, and it made me wish that I had a time machine so that I could go back like 6 years and tell past-me that some day I'd be watching Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson sit at a table and monologue, and that I'd be absolutely captivated. At this point I don't care if the next four episodes are just filler and nothing more than the two of them recapping those times that they went to get KFC.

Yeah, True Detective is a treat. It makes an hour of grim drama feel like 20 minutes.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
AV Club put a positive review for new series Broad City, which made me go watch the first episode on the Comedy Central website: I thought it was pretty drat great, laughed a lot. Definitely worth checking out if you're into podcasts/UCB stuff because it's got loads of those people being very funny - Hannibal Buress, Chris Gethard, John Gemberling all in that first episode (and recurring I think).

GraPar fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 21, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Man Rick and Morty is goooooooood.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

GraPar posted:

AV Club put a positive review for new series Broad City, which made me go watch the first episode on the Comedy Central website: I thought it was pretty drat great, laughed a lot. Definitely worth checking out if you're into podcasts/UCB stuff because it's got loads of those people being very funny - Hannibal Buress, Chris Gethard, John Gemberling all in that first episode (and recurring I think).

I found it humorous but not funny. I'd say it will get there shortly but it's on Comedy Central so it is likely already cancelled.

cvnvcnv fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 21, 2014

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Sleepy Hollow's season finale was one fantastic bit of television that rivalled Arrow for :supaburn: levels and did one of the neatest jobs in tying together the entire season that I've seen in a long time. The show has definitely jumped up to a new level with that.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I just started watching Cheers now that my Futurama rewatch is almost complete... Holy hell, this show is loving fantastic.

gently caress yeah it is! And you've got about 20 years of television to go, because when you finish Cheers, you'll definitely want to start Fraiser, which is just as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Just saw Broad City. I'm going to be very interested in hearing reactions to this.

• Locked thread