Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Deteriorata posted:

On Saban's teams, kickers are for extra points, not field goals.

Ahem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Note that Alabama lost due to missing four field goals, which supports my point.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Yeah, if you're going to "ahem" you're going to have to go further back:

Ahem

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

James Franklin ‏@coachjfranklin
52s

Two years ago we lost a #PSU legend! Remembering Coach Paterno today. We are proud & honored to add on to the foundation he built. #WeAre

:toot:

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Yep, great foundation.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

pillsburysoldier posted:

52s

Two years ago we lost a #PSU legend! Remembering Coach Paterno today. We are proud & honored to add on to the foundation he built. #WeAre

I bet that'll make him popular with lots of PSU dudes

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
There is literally no reason to not cheer against Penn State

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

pillsburysoldier posted:

52s

money money money moneeeeeyyyyy

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress James Franklin.

To contribute, Stoops is putting together a rather impressive recruiting class at Kentucky. What do you guys think is their ceiling? Basically where Vandy's been recently?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

For lack of a better place to put this, OU tweeted half an hour ago about a shooting on campus and advising its students to seek shelter. Not a lot of info available at the moment. Hope it doesn't go bad.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

For lack of a better place to put this, OU tweeted half an hour ago about a shooting on campus and advising its students to seek shelter. Not a lot of info available at the moment. Hope it doesn't go bad.

the journalism building is directly across from where everything is going down and the school president was last seen right next to the building where shots were fired

it's a surreal mess

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

To contribute, Stoops is putting together a rather impressive recruiting class at Kentucky. What do you guys think is their ceiling? Basically where Vandy's been recently?

I dunno, they might be able to field the occasional top-25 or even top-10 team again like they did with Andre Woodson a while back, but yeah, I don't see that being a regular thing.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

MAO TSE-TUNGACUNT posted:

the journalism building is directly across from where everything is going down and the school president was last seen right next to the building where shots were fired

it's a surreal mess

just now

@UofOklahoma
As of this time, no evidence has been found of any shots being fired. There are no injuries reported at this time.

hopefully just a backfiring vehicle or some poo poo. Stay safe y'all.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I'm a homer and hope it results in 5 straight SEC championships, but I don't think that's realistic. I think the recruiting momentum going forward is going to depend on getting some wins. Can't go 2-10 again and expect the same level of recruiting. Ultimately, I think it's hard to project where UK ends up or what the ceiling is. If I were guessing, I would guess recent SCAR-type seasons.

Kentucky was '12-'13 Vandy in '06-'07 with better wins and a harder SECE.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

pillsburysoldier posted:

52s

:stare:

loving wow. Completely tone deaf.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I think UK can have more sustained success than Vandy because its a big school and their fans are SEC as gently caress. They just tend to be focused on basketball because the school emphasizes it more.

It seems like UK is starting to take football more seriously though, and I think they can be consistently good. I don't know much about their facilities and whatnot, but if they put together some success they are pretty well-triangulated by fertile recruiting grounds.

People forget how much they were behind football during Tim Couch's days under center. Their ceiling is higher than Vandy's.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Well twitter has a character limit so he didn't have the space to write 'We are proud & honored to build kind of next to the foundation he built. I mean, there's definitely like a fence between us. It's a chainlink fence so you can still see the foundation, but it's got a lock on it and everything.'

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

It is important to selectively remember the past

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Holy poo poo you make it easy to cheer for Urban, James.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

:stare:

loving wow. Completely tone deaf.

Most Penn State fans still love Paterno and think he got a raw deal, and that's who he's trying to appeal to.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Frinkahedron posted:

just now

@UofOklahoma
As of this time, no evidence has been found of any shots being fired. There are no injuries reported at this time.

hopefully just a backfiring vehicle or some poo poo. Stay safe y'all.

Oh god this news comes not a moment too soon. I came within a hair's breadth of expressing concern for the wellbeing of Sooners. It feels like when your chair almost tips over backwards but you save it at the last instant.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

Most Penn State fans still love Paterno and think he got a raw deal, and that's who he's trying to appeal to.

Oh, I know. That doesn't make it less idiotic though.

Maybe I'm crazy, but the indifference displayed by Paterno while children were raped (with his knowledge) is nearly as criminal as the act itself. I can't even fathom how people rationalize his innocence.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He won lots of football games and they spent their whole lives getting it drilled into their brains that he was a borderline saint who was above the usual corruption of NCAA athletics and set an example that all should follow.

But mostly because he won lots of football games.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

I love winning football also, but some things trump winning. Like silent consent of pedophilia.

The more I talk about this, it's awakening that ol' burn-State-College-to-the-ground feeling I had almost forgotten.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Former Everything posted:

I'm a homer and hope it results in 5 straight SEC championships, but I don't think that's realistic. I think the recruiting momentum going forward is going to depend on getting some wins. Can't go 2-10 again and expect the same level of recruiting. Ultimately, I think it's hard to project where UK ends up or what the ceiling is. If I were guessing, I would guess recent SCAR-type seasons.

Kentucky was '12-'13 Vandy in '06-'07 with better wins and a harder SECE.

I think it is sort of like Missouri, no reason why they can't have a great season but you will be partially reliant on Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee squandering their superior recruiting hauls. Coaching can make up for some of that, but any coach at UF, UGA, or Tennessee that is losing to the rest of the East is going to be fired soon.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

MourningView posted:

Vocal minority

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Well, at least we know Franklin is telling the truth with those comments.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MourningView posted:

He won lots of football games and they spent their whole lives getting it drilled into their brains that he was a borderline saint who was above the usual corruption of NCAA athletics and set an example that all should follow.

Not to belabor the point, but Tom Osborne is similar to Paterno in "coaches deified by their fanbases" and I wouldn't hesitate to say "gently caress him, he got what he deserved" if the same thing happened.

I just don't get how people can rationalize child rape with football wins.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dango Bango posted:

Not to belabor the point, but Tom Osborne is similar to Paterno in "coaches deified by their fanbases" and I wouldn't hesitate to say "gently caress him, he got what he deserved" if the same thing happened.

I would guess this is probably not true of a large number of Nebraska fans given everything else they give him a pass for.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Dango Bango posted:

I just don't get how people can rationalize child rape with football wins.

"it was a lot of wins" + "well paterno didn't actually rape them himself"

People are p. gross

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Lasagna Pilot posted:

I think it is sort of like Missouri, no reason why they can't have a great season but you will be partially reliant on Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee squandering their superior recruiting hauls. Coaching can make up for some of that, but any coach at UF, UGA, or Tennessee that is losing to the rest of the East is going to be fired soon.

I am of the mind that Mizzou will be pretty damned good as long as Pinkel is there because of superior talent identification and development. Those schools will always have to rely on superior coaching unless they run into the perfect fit (UF-Spurrier in 90) that will change their football culture for the better and elevate the level of discourse among fans and administration.

Stoops seems to be building pretty well, he just needs to start winning. If Pinkel can keep Mizzou in the SECE hunt every year, I could see them really having staying power in the Top-10 or so. I've been most impressed by Mizzou's defensive line talent.

Schools like UF and UGA (and to a lesser extent, UTK), will continue to draw talent on reputation and resources and rely on their coaches not to gently caress it up.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 22, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Man, it's a really good thing shots weren't fired on Oklahoma's campus, otherwise I was going to type up a really tasteless post consisting of Harvey Updyke calling into Finebaum bragging about it.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

Lasagna Pilot posted:

I think this is probably true. If Kentucky continues to recruit well in Ohio, Florida and Georgia, there's no real reason UK won't be competitive on a yearly basis. Being competitive can easily turn into an SECE championship, as everyone saw with MIZZ this year. Nobody could credibly argue that UK (or MIZZ, for that matter) will turn into a UF/UGA/BAMA recruiting power, so an SECE championship likely rides on the East being a little down and UK being significantly up.

I'm just enjoying the improved recruiting and have pretty high hopes that UK gets the UF streak over with in the next year or two.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

LeeMajors posted:

Oh, I know. That doesn't make it less idiotic though.

Maybe I'm crazy, but the indifference displayed by Paterno while children were raped (with his knowledge) is nearly as criminal as the act itself. I can't even fathom how people rationalize his innocence.

It's basically akin to those people who say "Yeah, what Hitler did was terrible, but he sure knew how to run a government."

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Scarf posted:

It's basically akin to those people who say "Yeah, what Hitler did was terrible, but he sure knew how to run a government."

Hearing that in SC makes me wish there was a real life :godwin:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Scarf posted:

The Sash as a nazi meme works on so many levels.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Former Everything posted:

I'm just enjoying the improved recruiting and have pretty high hopes that UK gets the UF streak over with in the next year or two.

Please God let this happen.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Paterno was God at Penn State for decades, for reasons that originated with football but eventually far superseded football. Whether their continued adoration if him is misguided or not, it's not really reasonable to expect them to let go overnight.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
The ACC has released their schedule: http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/2014-ACC-Football-Schedule_01-21-14_pmwi99

VT gets a home Thursday night game against Miami :getin:

e: And UVA@VT is officially gonna be on Black Friday. Please be at night.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Frinkahedron posted:

The ACC has released their schedule: http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/2014-ACC-Football-Schedule_01-21-14_pmwi99

VT gets a home Thursday night game against Miami :getin:

e: And UVA@VT is officially gonna be on Black Friday. Please be at night.

Dammit, still showing as unavailable for me :\

edit: Nevermind, got it off twitter.

Eh, no real exciting home games aside from SC. Probably go up for the Louisville game, I guess.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
also off Twitter

edit: does NCSU not play ECU? that's weird

edit2: Bigger size here

swizz fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 22, 2014

• Locked thread