Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Thanks! I'll see what I can find around here as far as groups. And yeah the Pbone is hilarious, I wish I was in a marching or pep band so I had an excuse to get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM JAMES FRANCO
Jul 23, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

Thanks! I'll see what I can find around here as far as groups. And yeah the Pbone is hilarious, I wish I was in a marching or pep band so I had an excuse to get one.

Groups are good but its also pretty helpful to find a teacher starting out. If you google for voice lessons you can usually find independent teachers as well as studios that has teachers.

On another note, does any have a good resource or recommendation for vocal exercises for warm-ups and stuff? I've always just done scales and I want to do some flexibility exercises and other ones to expand.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

HondaCivet posted:

gently caress that, just get a Pbone. I take mine everywhere, it's sweet to go skiing or play it off a boat. I wouldn't ever take my real trombone out on an excursion but Pbones? That's something you take backpacking with you.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Hello singing thread! I started singing lessons a couple weeks ago with a lady who teaches out of her house. So far I have learned to make mouth bubble noises and speak in a singsongy Disney Princess voice. We covered some technical things too but I think it will take a while for those to click. My goals as I explained to my teacher are to learn fun things and develop my abilities so it's looking really good so far.

I forget who made the post in this thread but it explained the teaching process like teaching someone how to play a guitar but you're both blindfolded. That makes a lot of sense to me. My teacher kept prefacing her instructions with disclaimers like "okay this is going to sound really silly/stupid/gross but just trust me on this." At some point I ought to tell her to stop because we already talked about vomiting and being constipated and practiced the whooping noise you make after you take a shot.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Hi Charmmi! Adults are usually some of the most painfully shy and/or suspicious students, so yeah if you're down with the silly noises give her a heads up. You will probably become her favorite student! (Much as I understand and sympathize with them, students who are hesitant are kind of frustrating to teach.)

It sounds like she is doing good things with you. My old teacher used to call it the Julia Childs voice. I usually call it the Mickey Mouse voice because none of my students know who Julia Childs is. :( Princess voice is a good idea though, pretending to be a princess probably helps with posture too.

etcetc
Apr 22, 2013
Sorry if this is in the wrong place! Could I get some critique on this sample please? http://www.mixcloud.com/etcetc0/best-is-yet-to-come/

etcetc fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 28, 2013

Ilya Bryz
Apr 3, 2006
I have until the 21st of Feb to post my :toxx: or I will be banned.
I've been meaning to develop my voice for years; I just moved about 800 miles from home and all my friends, so I figured this would be a really good time to put some serious work into it. I've read the OP and watched some Youtube videos, but I'm a grad student and there's no way I can fit actual lessons into my budget. What I'm doing right now is:

Sit up straight. Relax my shoulders and breathe from the diaphragm. Let the air I'm pushing out bounce off the inside of my skull; the sound will be fuller than it would be if I were forcing it out hard. Try to sing "over the pencil," meaning the sound comes out from the top part of my head as opposed to straight from my throat.

I do some breathing exercises that I found online, but that's the only sort of drill I've been using. I mostly just record myself singing songs I like, watch the video, and note the things that sound OK and the things that sound terrible. From there I just guess at what might fix it, and record again doing that.

Is there a better way to go about this? Is my form accurate? I've only been at it about a week and I think I've improved, but perfect practice makes perfect so I need to make sure what I'm doing is the best way to go about it (other than getting a teacher). Thanks for any advice.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

If you are a grad student, go join the choir. If you are a boy and willing to learn, they will find a spot for you, believe me. It will help you a lot more than asking people to imagine what you're doing and check your form that way. I'd guess I have a better chance of loving you up than giving you solid advice.

Etcetc, it's not bad. Sounds like you've got some jazz voice training under your belt. There's some technical issues, but more glaring for me is you're not playing off your backing track at all. You sound like you're in a club that holds 20 people, whereas the track probably has 20 people playing on it. It's tough when it's a track and not real people to play off of, but try listening to it and note the variations in intensity and dynamics and try to play off of that. And smile when you're singing, you do it sometimes and it's nice, but then other times you just sound bored.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Can anybody recommend a good teacher in Montreal? I'm looking to learn pop / rock singing, I've been getting better (less lovely) and want to get lessons to get good the correct way.

edit: Barring that, how do you people recommend I go about looking for a teacher? What should I be on the lookout for?

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 17, 2013

Tetris Crowley
Aug 17, 2007
who wants waffles!?
Can anyone give me some pointers on screaming? I'm not sure where else to post.

I'm aiming for kind of the style of Devin Townsend (Yes, I know I will never be as good as him). To give you an idea, I'm aiming for these sort of vocals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLucWiyBsJk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouoXdO49_hk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vghuTrKZJAk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmgbutPsNfQ

So basically I'm looking for something diaphragm-dominated. I know how to push with my diaphragm, but I don't know what to do with my head and throat to get the right way to get something similar to come out. And I'm semi-afraid to do trial and error cause I don't wanna hurt myself. It's also hard to find a teacher on this kind of thing.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Knowing where to push with your diaphragm is one thing, but its like training for a sport by training up one limb, if that poo poo isnt operating in tandem its not going to work.

What often happens is that you "push" with your diaphragm, your throat feels the incoming pressure and goes "uh uh, no way" and closes up, and what comes out is a strangled yelp, rather than a yell.

You gotta learn to ease in to a growl, and crucially OUT of a growl.

I had a big post written up but I closed the browser and lost it, send me an email at bigcrunch@hotmail.co.uk

massive spider fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 22, 2013

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I basically can't sing at all. I don't mean "my singing sounds terrible and is totally off pitch, etc." (although I imagine that's true), I mean that nine times out of ten, when I try to sing, it hurts my throat and I stop very quickly. And I don't know enough about what I'm doing to know what's different when it doesn't hurt.

AriTheDog posted:

If it hurts you're doing damage. If you keep doing it, it can take a long time to heal or even cause permanent damage. That's not something you want.
With this in mind, I figure I need a vocal coach to tell me "this is what you're doing wrong, basic singing is done like this." Am I right about this? (Or are vocal coaches only for more advanced training and there is some video I should watch to get past this initial hurdle?) If so, what is a recommended way to find a good teacher for beginners?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Nah, vocal coaches are for everyone. That's probably going to take like 2 minutes to diagnose and give you the tools to fix, though, so I would super recommend finding your closest local university and seeing if they offer a Vocal Pedagogy/Vocal Development/vocal something-something class, then contacting that professor. It's a 400-level class that vocal educators have to take that specifically goes over the anatomy of singing and how to fix singing issues in private students. And at least at my university, one of the homework assignments was to find 10 people who had never sung before and give them a free lesson and write about it. At minimum the professor will have a favorite former student he or she will direct you to who will do it for cheap.

It won't take long to fix from the teacher's perspective, but you might have to practice a bunch just to get your body used to singing the right way instead of singing the hurty way. Good luck!

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I took a voice class over the summer and have had some one on one lessons, so now I'm better equipped to handle all of the ridiculous repertoire that gets thrown our way in Chorale. I now have a better idea of my vocal range.

The zone: 1.5 octaves

Low: F#2
High: C4

Quite comfortable: 1.8 octaves

Low: E2
High: D4

Basic, practical SATB range: 2.25 octaves

Low: D2
High: F4

Approximate limits of useable solo range, with training: 3 octaves

Low: B1
Full Voice: A4
Falsetto: C#5

Absolute maximums: 3.7 octaves

Lowest note sung with vocal fry: A1
Highest note sung in full voice: A4
Highest note sung with falsetto: F5

Not sure where this puts me classification wise, but I'm not at the point where that can be determined just yet. Most likely a baritone or bass with somewhat of an extended range. Right now for practice I'm working one a couple of German art songs, Leiderkreis #1 by Robert Schumann and Verborgenheit by Hugo Wolf (this piece is just just amaaaaazing). I'm also a member of an A Capella singing group and we are doing some sick jazz charts. Church choir also, which is hymns and gospel of course.

Wohoo, singing!

(By the way, I'm actually a piano major who needed to join an ensemble and walked into Chorale one day, then fell into this wonderful world!)

CowOnCrack fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 9, 2013

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

helopticor posted:

I basically can't sing at all. I don't mean "my singing sounds terrible and is totally off pitch, etc." (although I imagine that's true), I mean that nine times out of ten, when I try to sing, it hurts my throat and I stop very quickly. And I don't know enough about what I'm doing to know what's different when it doesn't hurt.

With this in mind, I figure I need a vocal coach to tell me "this is what you're doing wrong, basic singing is done like this." Am I right about this? (Or are vocal coaches only for more advanced training and there is some video I should watch to get past this initial hurdle?) If so, what is a recommended way to find a good teacher for beginners?

Work from a point that does not hurt to use your voice - can you change the pitch of your voice while you talk without pain or tension? If so, start there.

Pain while playing music is always going to be from the use of muscles that are unnecessary to tone production, or tension in any muscle. You do not have to be tense or "push" to play music or sing. Motions should be easy and fluid or they are wrong. Learn to tense the offending muscle on purpose, and once you are certain of which muscle is hurting and why, learn to relax it. The best way to learn to do something right is to be quite certain of how to do it wrong.

It might seem like I am oversimplifying but I'm not. It's as simple as: relax.

Also, an exercise for you to try: take as full a lungful of air as you can and then speak in a normal voice, like you would any other time. Can you do this? If not, try stuff until you can. You should feel the activation of the same muscles you take a poo poo with. These are what you will use to control how fast and how much air you are expelling - if you aren't controlling it there, you will have to control it with your throat(fast track to pain while singing due to proximity to vocal chords) or somewhere even dumber(for instance clarinet students bite their reed).

Dollars to donuts your problem is lack of diaphragmatic breath support.

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Unlikely as it is, does anyone have advice for teaching singing to a kid with cerebral paralysis?

I have a high school student who I tutor privately in English (as a foreign language), so I am familiar with her difficulties and how to work through them. She would really love to sing, and is very passionate about it. But when she tries, she shifts by reflex to a high-pitched monotone. Obviously, her main problem is controlling the muscles of the vocal cords. When she speaks, it's also with some difficulty.

I know this is probably a lost cause, but it doesn't hurt to ask. The goal wouldn't be to achieve some high technical level, just to be able to gradually practice towards following a tune.

My approach was to tell her to try gradually shifting the pitch, from low to high and back. To see if she can feel the difference, and just practice that for a while. So that she gains some manner of control over it. I warned her emphatically to be careful not to hurt her voice, if she feels it hurting, to relax and rest for a while, likewise if she gets tired. I would not want to cause her any harm, especially since I'm not a professional music teacher by any stretch.

I also tried to get her to sing in her normal speaking register, or to just hold one note in it so that her voice relaxes.

This is not something we can practice a lot, but she always asks me about it, so I keep thinking how I might be able to help. Maybe someone here has some good ideas. :)

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I'm new to singing (with the exception of singing along to the radio while I'm driving) and I'm looking around for a vocal coach to teach me. Thing is, I don't really know what I should be looking for in a teacher. Do you fine folk have any advice on what to look for as far as finding a good coach (and avoid bad ones) goes?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Rasselas posted:

Unlikely as it is, does anyone have advice for teaching singing to a kid with cerebral paralysis?

Fascinating question. There's a bunch of different kinds of cerebral palsy, so it's even harder to think of ways to help. But a real medical doctor is probably the best consult. Maybe an ENT? If she could find an ENT who is also a vocalist, they would probably have the best understanding of how her muscles work and how that could be harnessed for singing. But really, the girl herself might be the best judge of what to do. I think your advice is sound and you should just encourage her to experiment and see what works.

Upmarket Mango posted:

I'm new to singing (with the exception of singing along to the radio while I'm driving) and I'm looking around for a vocal coach to teach me. Thing is, I don't really know what I should be looking for in a teacher. Do you fine folk have any advice on what to look for as far as finding a good coach (and avoid bad ones) goes?

It's kind of a crapshoot, unfortunately. Try local university choral departments, both students and professors. Think about what kind of sound you're aiming for and find some obscure local artist in that genre and ask them for suggestions. Do you want to learn classical/bel canto voice? That's easier to recommend for.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

At the risk of sounding like a moron (I am completely new to the art of singing), I want to be a pop singer, since thats where my musical interests mainly lie. I don't know what an actual singer would call that.

I will definitely check out the local colleges around here, though.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Hawkgirl posted:

Nah, vocal coaches are for everyone. That's probably going to take like 2 minutes to diagnose and give you the tools to fix, though, so I would super recommend finding your closest local university and seeing if they offer a Vocal Pedagogy/Vocal Development/vocal something-something class, then contacting that professor. It's a 400-level class that vocal educators have to take that specifically goes over the anatomy of singing and how to fix singing issues in private students. And at least at my university, one of the homework assignments was to find 10 people who had never sung before and give them a free lesson and write about it. At minimum the professor will have a favorite former student he or she will direct you to who will do it for cheap.

It won't take long to fix from the teacher's perspective, but you might have to practice a bunch just to get your body used to singing the right way instead of singing the hurty way. Good luck!

Thanks for this tip! I asked a friend who's a vocal major at a nearby university and now I'm getting an entire semester of free singing lessons!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Jazz Marimba posted:

Thanks for this tip! I asked a friend who's a vocal major at a nearby university and now I'm getting an entire semester of free singing lessons!

I am jealous of you because that is awesome!

Alright: trip report on my first Disney musical. I played Gaston in Beauty and the Beast. Holy poo poo lots of work in musicals/plays. The singing was such a minor part of everything we worked. I haven't been doing many vocal exercises at all recently (E/N - big relationship ended, beer, working too much, not interested in training my voice). This got me back on board a little bit but man, the last week before open was so insane (work 9 to 5 then at the theatre until 11pm) I was crushing a six pack every night before bed to keep my sanity. Go easy on me - we all were.

The only thing that bugged me was the costume. I had tights, a tight vest, hair extensions, makeup, a belt to hold my mic pack under it all, plus choreography to observe. Not my most comfortable singing environment. Also the lights on stage were insane, but I knew that was going to suck. In the middle of "Me" my entire mouth went bone dry. Thank god I had a dialogue break to put myself back together. Also I picked up Belle in my arms to carry around while singing which was actually not that bad. The last note of "Me" left me dizzy a couple nights, too. Just too much exhaustion/adrenaline I guess from the number.

My advice if anyone has to do it? Breathe big breaths. That's what I was forgetting to do and once I forced that as my priority everything else fell in place. Made me nervous up there with the whole show going on.

Anyways - a couple of songs.

"Belle" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a81BugZAIeA
"Gaston" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuYtUhpKgys

Great thread and I welcome any comments/criticism/ideas to make me better. I know I flubbed a couple notes here and there, so go easy? There were some serious singers from Denver who came up to play with us and it was intimidating getting a vocal lesson again after years of none. Good, but my fragile ego! :)

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Hawkgirl posted:

Fascinating question. There's a bunch of different kinds of cerebral palsy, so it's even harder to think of ways to help. But a real medical doctor is probably the best consult. Maybe an ENT? If she could find an ENT who is also a vocalist, they would probably have the best understanding of how her muscles work and how that could be harnessed for singing. But really, the girl herself might be the best judge of what to do. I think your advice is sound and you should just encourage her to experiment and see what works.

Thank you for this advice! It's an approach I hadn't considered, probably not something I can help with, but good to try and think in that direction.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Recording scratch tracks all weekend! Finally on the road to making my EP happen.

PrivRyan
Aug 3, 2012

This rock smells like stone.
I've had a vocal coach, and to be honest, he really didn't help at all except for clarifying that I had good resonance and a pretty wide range.
I stopped taking the lessons a couple of months ago. I still owe him around 200$, but that's besides the point.
Where should I go now to further my vocal needs? I feel like he was the only vocal coach around my area, so maybe something online?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Anyone have some tips on how to belt an eeee sound? Specifically, belting the word "seemed"? I am auditioning for fantine and am sounding really tight on that word.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 14, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I am not sure about 'belting' really, but in opera for high register 'ē' sounds singers will often change them to or toward a short 'i' sound. It will sound funny to you, but right in context. Record it and listen to it to see if that works for you. The reason opera singers do this is because the 'ē' sound in high registers is too cutting and considered ugly, more or less. This would mean you would be singing something like 'drim' instead of 'dream'. This should drop the tongue a bit, bringing the vowel sound back from the nasal resonation 'ē' often has. To see what that is like just go between the short 'i' sound and the ē to find a place that works for you.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)
^^^Thank you for this. I hate eeeee sounds.

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich
My holy grail song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuYMmQlhQt4

In the "high voice" version the highest note is G4, which I want to learn to sing full throated as a Bass. I can already kind of do it and see getting there with a lot of practice. Oh my god is this song amazing. Oh my god oh my god *heart thumping like crazy*.

The text translated:

Tempt me not, oh world again. Lure me not with joys that perish...let my heart, unspoken cherish all it's rapture, all it's pain.

Unknown grief consumes my days, t'is with eyes all veiled by sorrow that, when dawns each hopeless morrow, on the glorious sun, I gaze.

Only dreaming brings me rest, only then a ray of gladness, sent from Heaven cheers my sadness, lights the gloom within my breast.

Tempt me not, oh world again. Lure me not with joys that perish, let my heart, unspoken cherish all it's rapture, all it's pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_W0QRy8_0

Yes.

CowOnCrack fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 15, 2013

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey all.

So I've been doing singing lessons for almost a year now. I can generally get on pitch and sing with a song as long as it's not out of my range or anything like that. I'm still a bit shonky in terms of precise control, but I'm certainly in the ballpark most of the time.

So I recorded a vocal cover yesterday and I'm way too embarrassed to show it so I'm not going to :P. I sang along to a guide track so that I could make sure I was on-pitch the vast majority of the time. This I succeeded in, but I still sounded like a karaoke singer. There was nothing "solid" about my voice and it felt like I was lacking conviction. It also sounded like I was imitating a singer, rather than just singing, but I assure you, this was not the case. I wasn't worried about performance in terms of putting "emotion" in, I just wanted to sing the melody and get the right notes.

So I was pleased that I was hitting the right notes, but displeased that I still sound like I don't know what I'm doing. Is there some fundamental technique I may have not been doing or do you "lose" the karaoke voice after a while or am I doomed to be an on-pitch karaoke singer?

Cheers!

Hover
Jun 14, 2003

Your post hits a tree.
The tree is an ent.
The tree is angry.

19 o'clock posted:

Holy poo poo lots of work in musicals/plays. The singing was such a minor part of everything we worked.
That's the weirdest part, isn't it? You spend so much time learning to sing just so you don't have to think about it while you dance around and do a ton of costume and set changes.

19 o'clock posted:

The only thing that bugged me was the costume. I had tights, a tight vest, hair extensions, makeup...
In the one musical I volunteered for, I had to get a proper wig pinned to my scalp each night. Thank god the rest of the costume was comfortable.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
So I'm a long-time musician that just recently got a vocal coach and started singing. I have a question about a specific song and singer I heard recently. The singer is Howard Jones, and the song is "End of Heartache" by Killswitch Engage. I notice that Jones sounds very bassy and deep and according to a google search, is a baritone; my vocal coach voiced me and said I am a baritone, and I feel like I can hit the same notes as Jones in this song, but they don't sound nearly as deep and boomy, so my question is, is there something specific he is doing to sound this way? Is it something to do with the shape of his mouth, how hard and where he is pushing from, is it just a unique character to his voice that I might never be able to reproduce? Or am I overthinking this and its something much simpler like studio effects or the fact that I am a huge newbie and Jones is an pro (its probably this even if there are other factors)?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

It's probably a little of everything but there's certainly studio effects going on. I can't find it but I saw a fascinating video once of a Broadway singer's original voice recording and then the official, tinkered with recording and there was a huge difference in depth of sound. It was similar to those photoshop demonstrations of magazine cover models. Wish I could find it.

Anyhow, the point is don't get too hung up on sounding exactly like another singer...but if you want to pick up some of their traits, the best way is to sing along with their recording, a lot.

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Semesters over, and I had some fine accomplishments.

My A Capella group performed three times, once in a student recital and twice with our Opera workshop. All three times my first A Capella arrangement was performed, in the latter two there was some staging and choreography.

I got to travel to San Francisco to sing Benjamin Britten's Ceremony of Carols as part of the MACCC Conference celebrating his centennial and St. Cecilia's day, which was a blast.

Our Chorale's own concert was a stunning success. Our own performance of the Ceremony of Carols was jarred somewhat by the harpist who had trouble keeping up with our lunatic conductor, but there was so much that was good (especially our soloists) that it hardly mattered. Our A Capella pieces were a wonder to behold, and we performed them surrounding the audience from the aisles. Our Eric Whitacre sounded as good or better than his own singers and we performed a piece composed by one of our own members that equaled any Eric Whitacre piece in beauty. Our spirituals and gospels as usual melted down the audience requiring an encore. For our individual numbers, one of our soprano soloists sang Holy Night and the whole audience was standing and applauding while she was still belting her high C#.

My own vocal technique has improved enormously from the chorale experience, the voice class I took over the summer, a short period of private lessons, and my own study.

Did I mention that my instrument is piano? In Fall 2012 walking into the Chorale group because there was no other ensemble I could join, I had no idea where singing would take me.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
I prefer all women's Ceremony of Carols. Also everyone should hear all men's Ave Maria by Biebl.

I haven't looked at this thread in like a year, but now that I have a semester of college under my belt I feel much more qualified musically. I've been in two opera choruses (Curlew River, school and Amahl and the Night Visitors, professional) and I've been cast in our opera for next semester as a named role with an aria and everything. I've also started trying to learn from my high school voice teacher how to teach by observing lessons. Hopefully it will only get better from here.

helopticor posted:

Voice teachers are for everyone. One trick I learned to get proper support is to sing while doing a push up against a wall. It works pretty well. A big trick to singing is letting your voice does what it does best, without interfering. Also don't spread your mouth really wide. That's a killer.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

CowOnCrack posted:

I took a voice class over the summer and have had some one on one lessons, so now I'm better equipped to handle all of the ridiculous repertoire that gets thrown our way in Chorale. I now have a better idea of my vocal range.

The zone: 1.5 octaves

Low: F#2
High: C4

Quite comfortable: 1.8 octaves

Low: E2
High: D4

Basic, practical SATB range: 2.25 octaves

Low: D2
High: F4

Approximate limits of useable solo range, with training: 3 octaves

Low: B1
Full Voice: A4
Falsetto: C#5

Absolute maximums: 3.7 octaves

Lowest note sung with vocal fry: A1
Highest note sung in full voice: A4
Highest note sung with falsetto: F5

Not sure where this puts me classification wise, but I'm not at the point where that can be determined just yet. Most likely a baritone or bass with somewhat of an extended range. Right now for practice I'm working one a couple of German art songs, Leiderkreis #1 by Robert Schumann and Verborgenheit by Hugo Wolf (this piece is just just amaaaaazing). I'm also a member of an A Capella singing group and we are doing some sick jazz charts. Church choir also, which is hymns and gospel of course.

Wohoo, singing!

(By the way, I'm actually a piano major who needed to join an ensemble and walked into Chorale one day, then fell into this wonderful world!)

I want to address this separately. A bass/baritone with good high notes is a great thing and not too uncommon (though not as common as it used to be). One of my friends has been a low bass since he was 12 but also has a fantastic high A. There's more to a voice part than range. A lot of it has to do with tone. If you listen to Domingo now, he's singing baritone repertoire, but he sounds like a tenor. He has changed voice parts many times, just because he wanted to. He's also never sung a high C in performance, so range is important for repertoire, not voice part. Unless you want to argue that Domingo isn't one of the best tenors alive.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Godsped posted:

I want to address this separately. A bass/baritone with good high notes is a great thing and not too uncommon (though not as common as it used to be). One of my friends has been a low bass since he was 12 but also has a fantastic high A. There's more to a voice part than range. A lot of it has to do with tone. If you listen to Domingo now, he's singing baritone repertoire, but he sounds like a tenor. He has changed voice parts many times, just because he wanted to. He's also never sung a high C in performance, so range is important for repertoire, not voice part. Unless you want to argue that Domingo isn't one of the best tenors alive.

Domingo is often considered a baritone with a developed tenor capacity, as opposed to someone like Pavarotti who is considered a 'true' tenor. This does not make Domingo any less amazing both as a singer and a human being.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

I hate to post do much in a thread that doesn't move very quickly, but I need to say: gently caress this one girl who thinks opera singing is loud singing and that we're learning how to sing well and loud. She doesn't get it.

Sogol posted:

Domingo is often considered a baritone with a developed tenor capacity, as opposed to someone like Pavarotti who is considered a 'true' tenor. This does not make Domingo any less amazing both as a singer and a human being.

True. I can't describe this (it might be easier once I've taken vocal ped) but when I listen to Domingo, I hear a distinctly tenor timbre. Even that's not quite the way I want to put it, but as with most things in music, there's no unified terms for these things.

If anyone's interested in some good literature, look at Jerome Hines Great Singers on Great Singing.

Edit for anyone who doesn't sing - opera voices are loud, but they rely on piercing. Anyone who says opera singing is just really loud and lacks musicality hasn't heard good opera.

Hoshi fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 10, 2014

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I'm looking for some advice on singing...I'm really not much of a singer, I mostly sing along to stuff in the car and do karaoke/Rock Band every now and then. I recorded myself singing this song by Corelia (https://soundcloud.com/paul-fake/corelia-red-sky-harbor-vocal), and I've identified the following things that I don't like or would otherwise like some advice on:

-When singing high, I either sound thin or nasally. I'd prefer to be able to sing high with some grit like the original singer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKyl2Xs3GxM) but I can't make it happen.
-It almost sounds like I'm whispering or singing tentatively even when I feel like I'm singing loudly and proudly. Maybe that's just in my head though.
-How the hell do you sing into a condenser mic without overloading it? I had to literally shout from 10 feet away for some parts, but when I see studio footage singers are always right up close to it the whole time.
-I did some distortion on lower parts, but it started to hurt my voice a bit. I know it's possible to do it in a way that doesn't hurt, but I don't know how.
-Any other advice that would make me better.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Did you do any post-processing to your recording or are you comparing your raw vocal to the heavily polished production? The vocal in that track probably has at least a couple of different compressors and reverbs and is likely to be comprised of the best bit of several different takes, and may have even undergone mild pitch correction. A very big part of recording voice is the post processing even if you have a tremendous voice, so don't feel too put out by how you sound in comparison, with a little bit of work you can get pretty good results. Using compressors will even out the vocal levels and can add body if used correctly, there are tons of youtube tutorials and free software that will let you get started. And yeah a lot of how you think you sound is totally in your head so listen to yourself recorded as much as you can, I do most of my singing practice while wearing headphones to monitor my voice, still has a bit of my own internal head reverberations clouding things but it's a lot better for seeing how I sound especially in relation to the guitar.

With your condenser mic you should be able to turn down the gain on whatever you are recording it through so that it doesn't overload when you are up close, if you have to get 10 feet away then it sounds like your gain dial is set pretty high. There should be a little light or something to indicate if it's too much signal but turn it all the way down and move up from there. Some condensers have a pad switch that can take 10 to 20db off the signal when dealing with very loud sources but this is more close-mic'd guitar amps and not vocalists.

If you are hurting your voice while doing anything then immediately stop doing whatever that is, some vocal techniques need quite a bit of work to be able to do correctly and safely. Again youtube vids are a pretty good resource but depending on how serious you are it might be worth getting one or two lessons to put you on the right path.

The best advice is to just pracice as much as you can. I was a pretty ordinary singer for a while, in a punk band I can get around it by being loud and screaming a lot but that doesn't help if I need to actually hold a note or do a vocal melody line, so after one particularly demoralising recording session (it sounded great in my head, I swear!) I started learning tons of songs that I could play on the acoustic guitar and sing along to and for the past 3 months I have spent at least two hours per night playing and singing songs and my voice has leveled up considerably in that time, also my general guitaring and fretting callouses have also improved significantly but it's the voice that I'm most happy about. I built myself a vocal booth over a year ago because I wanted to improve without anyone seeing how poo poo I was during the process but now I barely use it because I am confident enough with my voice that if anyone did hear me then I am totally cool with that and will gladly play them the rest of the song so they don't have to hear it through a door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivvyO
May 21, 2001
Copa & Maxixe!
Singers!

I want to start making music with vocals, and I know I'm a horrible singer!

Does anyone want to work with someone out to take his electronic dance music up to the next level? The jam session thread doesn't seem to have anyone over there...

If anyone wants to hear my work, it's right here. Message me if you're interested!

• Locked thread