Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

timeandtide posted:

I was recommended Alien Bees as good but cheap general first time studio lights, and of course now that I'm ready to pick some up I can't seem to find them on Adorama, B&H, or Amazon (only accessories come up searching for "Alien Bees"): is there something else goons recommend in the $100-200 range? Used is fine.

They're only sold directly through the website:

http://www.paulcbuff.com/alienbees.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

timeandtide posted:

I was recommended Alien Bees as good but cheap general first time studio lights, and of course now that I'm ready to pick some up I can't seem to find them on Adorama, B&H, or Amazon (only accessories come up searching for "Alien Bees"): is there something else goons recommend in the $100-200 range? Used is fine.

Search the Google. Alien bees sell from paul buff, direct.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
^Goddamn you

Dude, do you even google?

http://www.paulcbuff.com/alienbees.php

Two people posted before me? How did this even happen.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

All that said, check on KEH and whatnot for potentially a better deal, ideally something that you can still get replacement flashtubes for if you need to (I got a White Lightning 5000 for like $79, it's certainly old but it still works great).

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I ordered up some prints from Costco, and some of the pictures are pretty far off from what I saw on my laptop, especially ones I messed around with. I'm using a lovely netbook, so it's not like I have a super accurate IPS monitor or anything. Is there some way to check the profile of the printers or something to see what you're going to get? These ones were not super important and still came out ok, but it would be nice to know what I'm gonna get.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
You're going to have to calibrate the screen you're using to get a decent idea of what you'll get back printed.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Dial M for MURDER posted:

I ordered up some prints from Costco, and some of the pictures are pretty far off from what I saw on my laptop, especially ones I messed around with. I'm using a lovely netbook, so it's not like I have a super accurate IPS monitor or anything. Is there some way to check the profile of the printers or something to see what you're going to get?

You may already know this, but if you're doing your own adjustments, make sure you specify no corrections when you order the prints. It's a couple clicks at Costco.com (and it doesn't always stick if you change your order) or a checkbox at the in-store terminals.

Dry Creek provides ICC profiles for Costco stores.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Can someone tell me what micro calibration is and how the hell I do it? I know it has to do with basically honing focus between a specific body and lens, but that's about it. I have a 60D and I want to try to get some more sharpness out of the 400mm I've just started to play with.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

rcman50166 posted:

Can someone tell me what micro calibration is and how the hell I do it? I know it has to do with basically honing focus between a specific body and lens, but that's about it. I have a 60D and I want to try to get some more sharpness out of the 400mm I've just started to play with.

No MFA on the 60D. Not nearly as necessary as the internet would like you to believe - if you have a super off lens, send it and your body to canon and they will calibrate together for you, in a professional manner which doesnt involve shooting a chart printed on letter sized paper taped to a wall in your basement from 10ft away.

Edit: That sounds pretty snarky, sorry. I just think MFA is a super measurebator thing - I'm not going to quibble about focus locking on an eyelash instead of the iris of someones eye, and if it was doing something horrid like focusing an inch in front of that on the tip of their nose, I'd send it to Canon to have it done by people who know what they're doing and have proper equipment. YMMV.

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 22, 2014

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I thought about putting this in the medium format thread, but that seems a bit, ah, digiphobic...

It appears that both Hasselblad and Phase One are on the verge of announcing 50mp CMOS-based medium format sensor packages. The rumor articles allude to the Phase One coming as a back, and the Hasselblad being a new integrated body.

Given the sudden and similar (rumored) announcements, what do you think of the possibility that they're both going to be using the same underlying chip tech?

In any case, these will be beyond the pricepoints of anyone I know, but it's an interesting jump. The move to CMOS leaves open the interesting possibility of, withing a generation or two, medium-format digital video. Time to start hoarding old large-format cine lenses?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

thetzar posted:

In any case, these will be beyond the pricepoints of anyone I know, but it's an interesting jump. The move to CMOS leaves open the interesting possibility of, withing a generation or two, medium-format digital video. Time to start hoarding old large-format cine lenses?
This would be interesting but I'd say it's a long way away yet. Digital video is still trying to perfect a 35mm sensor. Even when 65mm film was still a viable option, it wasn't really used that much so I'm not sure we'll ever see MF used in cinema.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hey, here's a question. I've ben shooting a Nex3 for a while, which auto ISOs up to 3200 but can manually be pushed to 16k.

I just got a 30D because I'd never shot with a full-sized DSLR and wanted to try it out. You can manually push the ISO up to 1600, but you can also toggle a function to let it go to "H", which most places say is relative to 3200.

So why did they feel like they need to hide 3200 behind a menu function? Is 3200 that much worse on an 8-year-old body? Did they want to hide the camera would even do it from the types of folks who wouldn't read the manual anyway, and might end up there and think their camera is broken because all their outdoor pictures look like poo poo?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
"H" is just adding a stop of exposure digitally from a 1600 exposure or the same as if you added a stop in post. It's not a real 3200 ISO on the 30D.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Huxley posted:

Hey, here's a question. I've ben shooting a Nex3 for a while, which auto ISOs up to 3200 but can manually be pushed to 16k.

I just got a 30D because I'd never shot with a full-sized DSLR and wanted to try it out. You can manually push the ISO up to 1600, but you can also toggle a function to let it go to "H", which most places say is relative to 3200.

So why did they feel like they need to hide 3200 behind a menu function? Is 3200 that much worse on an 8-year-old body? Did they want to hide the camera would even do it from the types of folks who wouldn't read the manual anyway, and might end up there and think their camera is broken because all their outdoor pictures look like poo poo?

Honestly, on an 8 year old body even 1600 is probably risking it a bit.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Also, those "high" and "low" ISO values only apply to the JPG.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RangerScum posted:

Honestly, on an 8 year old body even 1600 is probably risking it a bit.

Yeah, it's not amazing. But I'm just experimenting with things cheaply, trying to decide if I like the full body/lens system of Canon better than the small body/limited lenses of the Sony. Basically I love the Canon has better AF and tons of lens options in the $200-400 range, where I love the old lenses and smaller size of the Sony, but mirrorless seems to be intently focused on <100mm, and I know I'll want to shoot sports and stuff eventually.

But I've bought everything used, so it's not like I can't turn all my lenses into even money if I decide it's time to go one way or the other.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
3200 on a 30D/40D era camera is pretty painful unless you know how to work with it, which your average user wouldn't. I'd throw the kitchen sink at it for processing and noise reduction and there were still lots of times I had to just give up on the image because it was so noisy.

wasey
Apr 6, 2009
Can I get a little feedback from people who have bought open box items from Adorama? Is the item clearly used, or mint? The rx100 is $80 less than everywhere else I'm looking and it seems like that is enough money to take a chance...

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Does anyone here have their photos printed on metallic paper? I want to print and frame a B&W photo at 20"x30". I've heard metallic paper looked great in B&W but I also saw a few comments that metallic leaves you with light grey whites instead of white whites. Proofs are so cheap through WHCC, I'll probably just order a few so I can see for myself but it can never hurt to ask the DR for thoughts.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I've made some metallic prints and I'd agree that it looks great in b/w, but none of the ones I printed had really white whites to begin with. I've printed some color pics that had lots of white that came out looking good though.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Metallic prints on vehicles look fantastic, by the way.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Saint Fu posted:

Does anyone here have their photos printed on metallic paper? I want to print and frame a B&W photo at 20"x30". I've heard metallic paper looked great in B&W but I also saw a few comments that metallic leaves you with light grey whites instead of white whites. Proofs are so cheap through WHCC, I'll probably just order a few so I can see for myself but it can never hurt to ask the DR for thoughts.

I use WHCC and while I've only gotten color prints, the metallic paper they offer looks amazing and is well worth the slight bit more they cost.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Cool, I'll probably go for it then. Any issue with framing them? I saw someone post somewhere that it lost the wow factor when behind glass/acrylic, not sure what that would happen.
Here's the one I want to print for refernce:

_MG_0380-247-257 by spf3million, on Flickr
No cars or chrome in there. Actually not really a ton of full white now that I look at it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I've both sent and received metallic prints in print exchanges. The glass of a frame does dull the effect a little, but not very much at all and the effect on clouds, ice, water, and vehicles still comes through very nicely.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
A photo magazine has contacted me and wants to use some of my shots for a feature. They say there is a fee depending on how my shots are used. Is that normal? They want me to pay them to use my shots? I thought it was the other way around :/

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 24, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

LOL of course it should be.

You might be misunderstanding though, and indeed usage fee is normally dependent on usage.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Ringo R posted:

A photo magazine has contacted me and wants to use some of my shots for a feature. They say there is a fee depending on how my shots are used. Is that normal? They want me to pay them to use my shots? I thought it was the other way around :/

I design magazines for a living, and I have never ever gotten a photographer to pay me to use their images haha. You are correct that payment should go the other way. Sounds like a scam to me.

What's the name of the magazine, if you don't mind my asking?

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
This is what they wrote: "There is a small fee, but this will depend on how we use your images on the page." Am I misunderstanding the word fee? English is not my mother tongue.

Edit: Should probably not name the mag but looks pretty legit.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Ringo R posted:

That is hilarious. Do not pay them.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Ringo R posted:

This is what they wrote: "There is a small fee, but this will depend on how we use your images on the page." Am I misunderstanding the word fee? English is not my mother tongue.

It sounds to me as though they intend to pay you a small fee, not the other way around.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ringo R posted:

Ask them what the intended usage is, then send a quote.

I'm 99% you understood them wrong.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
I want to print out all of your photos. What's your address so I can send you my invoice?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ZippySLC posted:

I want to print out all of your photos. What's your address so I can send you my invoice?

And then sell those printouts to other people, don't forget that part.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

ZippySLC posted:

You'll have to pay me more if I want to blow them up though, I have costs to cover here sheesh

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Ringo R posted:

"Fee" is generally shorthand for "photographer's fee", which is itself a weird backwards corruption of "photographer's fee" where the client, not the photographer, decides what's paid. It's relatively safe to replace "fee" with honorarium or payment or royalty.

To translate from what is most likely lazy industry English:

"We pay some money, but it's not great. The amount will depend on how we use your images, for example how large we print them, where in the story we use them, etcetera."

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
My wife's kit lens for her Nikon D5100 seems to be malfunctioning. It can't zoom fully, only from 18mm to around 24mm, and any photos taken with it are severely out of focus? Any suggestions for what I can try to rectify this?

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Oxford Comma posted:

My wife's kit lens for her Nikon D5100 seems to be malfunctioning. It can't zoom fully, only from 18mm to around 24mm, and any photos taken with it are severely out of focus? Any suggestions for what I can try to rectify this?

Get a kit lens on the cheap. You can find Canon's are $50 on ebay. I personally wouldn't pay more than 20 though.

edit: I said Canon because I know jack poo poo about Nikon stuff

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 27, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If it's new enough you could try sending it back to Nikon, but kit lenses go for like $30-60 on eBay or KEH.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Anyone know anything about lens calibration with Adobe's lens profile creator? I'm getting a lot of distortion in my stills and panoramas (with panoramic head) and a lens profile in LightRoom 5 (it only has one Sony lens by default which is ridiculous) would do a lot to help, I think. I want to create one but I have to photograph a chart for the program to calculate the distortion, and though I have read instructions I still don't understand. Mostly I don't understand which chart I have to use, if I have to print one at full size, what size I need to begin with, etc. The instructions I've read show a large chart like half the size of a poster and I don't know how I would print one out unless I do it with a few sheets of paper and tape them together, which seems like I'd have to be 100% precise so as not to mess up the calibration.

Am I missing something here? Does it matter what size chart I use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe your installation is incomplete? Because LR has a mountain of profiles already built in:

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/lens-profile-support-lightroom-4.html

I think if you do some googling you can find people putting up profiles they've generated up for download as well.