Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I finally beat the game with a rogue assassin, after 256 tries (total games). I think the thing that got me through this time was saving my upgrade scrolls for a higher-tier weapons. I used one or two on a spear at the beginning, then found a glaive on level 3 or 4 and spent the rest on that until I could handle it. I found a scale armor slightly after and pumped that, too. I didn't end up finding anything useful until a firebolt wand from the wizard NPC. I used to spend my upgrades on whatever weapon/armor I had, but it seems to pay off better to suffer a little at the beginning for bigger rewards with upgraded weapons at the end. A +6 or +7 glaive was taking huge chunks out of everything in the teens to 20's.

Do you guys usually clear out the whole level on 22/23/24? I usually find the enemies too bothersome and the treasures/drops not worth enough to really try to discover the whole level. I get a few health potion drops, but the evil eyes and sucubii get too annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

lessthankyle posted:

I finally beat the game with a rogue assassin, after 256 tries (total games). I think the thing that got me through this time was saving my upgrade scrolls for a higher-tier weapons. I used one or two on a spear at the beginning, then found a glaive on level 3 or 4 and spent the rest on that until I could handle it. I found a scale armor slightly after and pumped that, too. I didn't end up finding anything useful until a firebolt wand from the wizard NPC. I used to spend my upgrades on whatever weapon/armor I had, but it seems to pay off better to suffer a little at the beginning for bigger rewards with upgraded weapons at the end. A +6 or +7 glaive was taking huge chunks out of everything in the teens to 20's.

Do you guys usually clear out the whole level on 22/23/24? I usually find the enemies too bothersome and the treasures/drops not worth enough to really try to discover the whole level. I get a few health potion drops, but the evil eyes and sucubii get too annoying.

Eh, I've beaten it four or five times and I always 100% the levels. But you are right, it's much much better off saving your upgrade scrolls. I typically drop them when I start a level, clear it off and then move them so they don't accidentally burn up.

It's very possible to beat Goo with a set of un-upgraded weapon and armor. If you find a plate armor before you get to him you can just put it on and stand on water fight him standing still. Once I get a plate armor, I usually have enough upgrades to bring it down to a level I can wear anyways.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Watabou posted some new stuff on facebook recently. A screenshot of water reflections and a screenshot of the new rankings screen which appears to contain a new glyph.

Reflections:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=598526496883721&set=a.449149225154783.100346.440156436054062&type=1&theater

Rankings screen:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=601554889914215&set=a.449149225154783.100346.440156436054062&type=1&theater

Btw, are we allowed to use [img] tags with photos on facebook or do we have to rehost them on imgur first?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
So apparently if you use a scroll of terror in a shop it scares the shopkeeper and he takes all his stock with him :(

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

kemikalkadet posted:

So apparently if you use a scroll of terror in a shop it scares the shopkeeper and he takes all his stock with him :(

Welcome to Rogue-likes! Hope you enjoy your stay.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

kemikalkadet posted:

Also, scroll of lullaby does this, and probably psionic blast.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

kemikalkadet posted:

Also if a mob runs in and you kill it inside he also gets spooked and disappears with the loot

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I just cheesed the poo poo out of the game with a wand of regrowth. At the last shop there's a big room where you can just plant a shitload of stuff and get a bunch of seeds. Since dewdrops heal 5 on that level you'll never die and end up with a huge surplus of them. After that, take your seeds to one of the alchemy pots and take advantage of this:

the littlest prince posted:

Also of note, there is currently a bug where if you have a stack of 4+ seeds and you plant one on an alchemy pot, it turns into a potion.
You have to plant them one at a time and pick up the potion before you plant the next one. Plant all but three of each kind. I ended up with a shitload of potions and it made everything after that easy. If I got in a tough spot I could turn invisible, and I could paralyze and gas rooms full of enemies. If all else failed I could just take advantage of the 40-something healing potions I ended up with. I got a few experience potions from killing the warlocks and added with the ones I found I ended up at level 30 at the last boss.

When I got to the last boss I stayed invisible and killed the hands with gas potions and then just killed the eye with my crappy +3 longsword.

If they ever fix the bug with the pots you can still do the trick, but it will take a lot longer since you'll need 3 times as many seeds.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

I'm playing this game and Dark Souls at the same time. I must really hate things.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

So if you're ever having trouble dealing with wraiths, I've noticed a weakness in their annoyingly high evasion, which I'm not sure is a bug or not. Lure a wraith into a doorway, then immediately attack it. It seems wraiths can't evade attacks on the same turn they open a door! I think this holds true for all enemies, actually.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Yeah that works for all enemies, pretty sure it's intended.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
When you strike an enemy right after it comes through a door, it counts as a surprise attack which always hits 100%. Its the same status as when you strike an enemy that is asleep.

For another wraith trick position yourself so there's as few open spots as possible since they only spawn on open squares.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Are the levels supposed to be perfect squares or just close? I feel like I'm searching everywhere there's not a straight edge and wonder if I'm wasting my time.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

nexus6 posted:

Are the levels supposed to be perfect squares or just close? I feel like I'm searching everywhere there's not a straight edge and wonder if I'm wasting my time.
Close to it. There will be a lot of levels where the outer edge is jagged in a few places, and sometimes there are holes in the middle of the map, too. After you play for a while you'll figure out what kind of walls might have doors. Usually it's best to clear out the accessible rooms first and then look at the shape to see where you need to look, for example, dead-end hallways are likely to have a hidden door. The starting and ending rooms also seem to have a higher-than-normal chance. You can also use a potion of mind vision like poor-man's mapping scroll.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Close to it. There will be a lot of levels where the outer edge is jagged in a few places, and sometimes there are holes in the middle of the map, too. After you play for a while you'll figure out what kind of walls might have doors. Usually it's best to clear out the accessible rooms first and then look at the shape to see where you need to look, for example, dead-end hallways are likely to have a hidden door. The starting and ending rooms also seem to have a higher-than-normal chance. You can also use a potion of mind vision like poor-man's mapping scroll.

Also every floor has food on it and all the required "keys" to "obstacle rooms". If you don't find them, then there's a hidden room somwehere.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

"obstacle rooms"
Speaking of these, I noticed a new one the other day. It was just like the traps room, but it was all chasm instead. You can't cheat that one by throwing darts on the traps to make a path and then coming back when the gas is cleared, which is what I usually do when it's not obvious which of my potions is levitation.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Thanks.

Is there a decent explanation of the UI anywhere? I've been playing like mad the past few days so I understand most of the mechanics, but I still don't get what some of the UI indicates. It took me a while to work out what the experience bar even was.

Here I'm a warrior with strength 11. What does the text mean if it is in orange? The knuckledusters are below my strength level and the armor is above it but both are orange?

The sword and the shuriken are in red, despite the armor requiring a higher strength. What does that mean? Also, I know I can wear armor above my strength level, as long as I don't move around much, to benefit from it. Is there a penalty for using a weapon that's too high above your strength?

What do the question marks indicate? Is there a reason for the colon before the level numbers of the other items?

Finally, are potions of strength the only way to increase strength? Seems like you could grind levels faster than your strength increases.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

nexus6 posted:

Here I'm a warrior with strength 11. What does the text mean if it is in orange? The knuckledusters are below my strength level and the armor is above it but both are orange?

Orange with a question mark indicates that the item is unidentified, so the number actually reflects what a "vanilla" item would have. A cursed item or upgraded item (+1, +2, etc) will have different strength requirements, but you wont know the actual strength requirement until the item is identified. The purple background means the item itself is not identified, but not all un-IDed items have strength requirements.

nexus6 posted:

The sword and the shuriken are in red, despite the armor requiring a higher strength. What does that mean? Also, I know I can wear armor above my strength level, as long as I don't move around much, to benefit from it. Is there a penalty for using a weapon that's too high above your strength?

Red means the item is identified and you are not strong enough to use it effectively. The only penalty I know of for using something you are not strong enough for is slower movement and attack rate - i.e. enemies can move two squares to your one, attack twice to your one attack, and the like.

nexus6 posted:

Finally, are potions of strength the only way to increase strength? Seems like you could grind levels faster than your strength increases.

Yes, potions are the only way to increase your strength.

Cidrick fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 27, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

nexus6 posted:

Thanks.

Is there a decent explanation of the UI anywhere? I've been playing like mad the past few days so I understand most of the mechanics, but I still don't get what some of the UI indicates. It took me a while to work out what the experience bar even was.

What do the question marks indicate? Is there a reason for the colon before the level numbers of the other items?

The orange is to indicate that's what the default requirement is, but since those items aren't identified you can't be sure that they aren't +1 -1 etc, which impacts the requirement.

Red is because you know you aren't strong enough for them.

Edit: god damnit

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

There's also a red background which means the item is cursed. Sometimes you'll find a bones file with a wraith in it. The item is always cursed, but not necessarily inferior (and might even be upgraded.)

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

There's also a red background which means the item is cursed. Sometimes you'll find a bones file with a wraith in it. The item is always cursed, but not necessarily inferior (and might even be upgraded.)

I thought the red background meant unidentified? For example, my potions have all had red backgrounds until I identified them; surely they aren't cursed?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

nexus6 posted:

I thought the red background meant unidentified? For example, my potions have all had red backgrounds until I identified them; surely they aren't cursed?
It's more red.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

http://pixeldungeon.wikia.com/wiki/Hero%27s_remains

I actually did not completely understand how this worked until just now. For some reason I thought a level was subtracted AND it was cursed. But that doesn't seem to be true, it just becomes cursed!

Here's a list of item level caps based on the formula in that page:
code:
Level of death	Item level cap
1		1
2		1
3		2
4		2
5		3
6		4
7		4
8		5
9		5
10		6
11		7
12		7
13		8
14		8
15		9
16		10
17		10
18		11
19		11
20		12
21		13
22		13
23		14
24		14
You could theoretically take three different heroes to levels 6,7,8 with +4 or +5 items, kill them, and then take the fourth hero and have him pick up these items. You might need to stagger their deaths and the retrieval of their equipment. It's not clear whether only one hero's remains can exist at one time or not. Also none of the items would be guaranteed since it picks an equipment slot at random.

A more successful option would be to keep trying on every floor. Kill another character, advance to next floor, repeat until you're satisfied.

This sounds pretty tedious though. Don't think I'll bother beyond maybe trying it once for the novelty.

nexus6 posted:

That's purple, not red.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Deep in the dungeons, got pretty good equipment and on a good run, and I die with 8 healing potions in my inventory because I'm too stupid to watch my health bar while fighting.

I've lost count how many times I've done this.

edit: Dew vial to the rescue!

Civil fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 27, 2014

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

quote:

1.6.2 released!

- Added: New glyph - armor of stench
- Added: New glyph - armor of viscosity
- Added: New quest-giving NPC
- Added: Dew vial
- Changed: New Rankings screen
- Changed: Some glyphs are tweaked
- Changed: Items dropped atop of shopkeeper's goods can be picked up for free
- Fixed: Loads of bugs
...and more

:buddy:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I can't wait to die horribly in new and exciting ways! How does the Dew vial work?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I can't wait to die horribly in new and exciting ways! How does the Dew vial work?

I was about to tell you I had no idea, but then I found one!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I love this game.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

So it's like a fairy jar or eke eke or whatever? Can you get more than one? Can you use it if it's partially filled? Can you refill it after use or does the jar disappear too? Oh man I'm unreasonably excited about this.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
You need to be full health, and have the dew jar in your inventory. Then, any dew drops you 'use' will go into the dew jar, which you can then proceed to use at any time and it'll heal you for however many dew drops you had in the jar. I don't think it disappears after you use all the dew stored in it, but I may be wrong.

Found it earlier before I realized there was an update and was pretty lost, had no idea how I had never seen it before.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Too lazy to upload screenshot, but not to type:

Dew vial (x/10)
You can store excess dew in this tiny vessel for drinking it later. If the vial is full, in a moment of deadly peril the dew will be consumed automatically.

edit: you drink all the dew you've collected when partially full, no sipping

Civil fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 27, 2014

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Babyface Mingo posted:

You need to be full health, and have the dew jar in your inventory. Then, any dew drops you 'use' will go into the dew jar, which you can then proceed to use at any time and it'll heal you for however many dew drops you had in the jar. I don't think it disappears after you use all the dew stored in it, but I may be wrong.

Found it earlier before I realized there was an update and was pretty lost, had no idea how I had never seen it before.

It does not disappear, and it apparently fully heals you when it gets used automatically.

I keep finding it on level 1, I think it's a guaranteed drop.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

the littlest prince posted:

It does not disappear, and it apparently fully heals you when it gets used automatically.

I keep finding it on level 1, I think it's a guaranteed drop.
Looks like it's there to help the huntress out. And make the wand of regrowth even better :getin:

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
I haven't gotten a strength potion in 4 games on the first floor. I thought it was guaranteed?

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
It seems like some potions/food are actually behind some of the "obstacles", such as the wood barricade that needs to be burned or the piranhas you need to go invisible to deal with. Have you perhaps skipped some of these "obstacles" ?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Inudeku posted:

I haven't gotten a strength potion in 4 games on the first floor. I thought it was guaranteed?

Pretty sure you're guaranteed 2 per 5 levels. It's been totally reliable for me, but I haven't played the new version enough to know.

Maybe you never found the rooms they were in?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Civil posted:

Pretty sure you're guaranteed 2 per 5 levels. It's been totally reliable for me, but I haven't played the new version enough to know.

Maybe you never found the rooms they were in?
You always get two strength potions before the goo, that's for sure. What sucks is you're not guaranteed any healing potions until you make it to the shop.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Dumb question, what do the green '+1' or '+2' numbers mean for armor and weapons? Does it mean they protect 1 more point of damage or cause 1 more point of damage? Is this taken into account in the description? Say I have armor that's +1 and it says it protects 3 points of damage, does that take +1 into account or does it actually protect 4 points of damage?

I understand the idea in a roguelike of discovering mechanics for yourself but don't know why there isn't a reference for the kind of thing.

Also, the description says "tier-1". Is is tier 1 or tier -1 with unforutunate formatting?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

nexus6 posted:

Dumb question, what do the green '+1' or '+2' numbers mean for armor and weapons? Does it mean they protect 1 more point of damage or cause 1 more point of damage? Is this taken into account in the description? Say I have armor that's +1 and it says it protects 3 points of damage, does that take +1 into account or does it actually protect 4 points of damage?

I understand the idea in a roguelike of discovering mechanics for yourself but don't know why there isn't a reference for the kind of thing.

http://pixeldungeon.wikia.com/wiki/Armor

nexus6 posted:

Also, the description says "tier-1". Is is tier 1 or tier -1 with unforutunate formatting?

The former

e: vvvv :downs:

Tamba fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Tamba posted:

The latter

Surely you mean the former. It's "tier 1", not "tier -1".

• Locked thread