Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Finally got my SSD in. I used the 128GB Samsung Evo. I couldn't justify anything more than that right now (considering that 64GB was 2 years of use and two upgrades without full reformats, not too bad). I'll definitely put a larger one in my next build when I can budget it a bit more.

The speed difference is immense though, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

SlayVus posted:

Eh, get like 16+ GB of RAM, make a 4GB RAM Disk, put 3GB page file on RAM disk. No more writes to SSD.

But who pages the pagefile????

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

SlayVus posted:

Eh, get like 16+ GB of RAM, make a 4GB RAM Disk, put 3GB page file on RAM disk. No more writes to SSD.
That's a really bad idea! Windows absolutely operates under the assumption that it has a real pagefile separate from RAM. If you have enough RAM, writes should be relatively limited anyways.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

phongn posted:

That's a really bad idea! Windows absolutely operates under the assumption that it has a real pagefile separate from RAM. If you have enough RAM, writes should be relatively limited anyways.

Yeah, was going to comment on that but I know Windows paging behavior has at least historically been a bit crazy (aggressive preemptive paging when tons of memory is free because Inscrutable Microsoft Reasons). Assuming they've fixed that in modern Windows, the 16GB RAM with a 3GB page file in a 4GB ram disk setup should behave normally for 0 to 12GB real memory used, degrade in performance up to 15GB, and then fall over and die thanks to running out of memory plus page file. A normal setup would have normal performance up to 16 used and then start hitting a page file on disk. If you turned paging off it would be mostly okay up to 16 used and then fall over and die. So there's just no point to the RAM disk thing, even if you're trying to avoid paging to a SSD. Turning paging off altogether is a better idea (which is still not a very good idea on almost all modern desktop operating systems).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Long live OCZ?

Anandtech reviews the OCZ Vertex 460

quote:

Toshiba has finalized the purchase of the OCZ Technology group, making it a wholly owned subsidiary of the Toshiba Group Company. OCZ will still act independently as OCZ Storage Solutions, focusing on SSDs, meaning that the future of OCZ products is essentially confirmed for the future.

They have a new logo as well.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Bob Morales posted:

Long live OCZ?

Anandtech reviews the OCZ Vertex 460

They have a new logo as well.

No-one was crazy about Toshiba SSDs either, but they didn't have the awful reputation of OCZ.

Not sure what the point of this venture is.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

No-one was crazy about Toshiba SSDs either, but they didn't have the awful reputation of OCZ.

As far as I can tell, they wanted the Indilinx assets from OCZ.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Xenomorph posted:

I know the OP mentions going for Mushkin for mSATA. I grabbed a Mushkin Atlas Deluxe mSATA, 120GB, for an older device I'm using. It has some weird mSATA adapter with a Marvell chipset or something.

Well, the Mushkin Atlas (SandForce) keeps "disappearing". Like it's getting unplugged when in use. With Windows XP, it works, but with Windows 7 or 8, it just keeps dying. You have to power down completely, then back up. Then is disappears again with Windows 7/8. Basically, it's unusable.

I don't know if its an issue with the SandForce controller or what. So, I've been looking at other cheap mSATA devices.

One that stands out is the Crucial M500 (CT120M500SSD3, 120GB for $95). It has a Marvell controller, and I believe others have said it works with the weird Marvell-based adapter I'm using. But, "Crucial" is specially mentioned as what not to get for mSATA.

Is there some other recommended mSATA device? I'm wanting 120GB, cheap.

I tried two Mushkin Atlas Deluxe mSATA SSDs. Both had the weird issue where they just disappeared from the system.

Ubuntu 12.04: installed fine
Windows XP: installed fine
Windows 7: drive disappeared
Windows 8: drive disappeared

I went with the Crucial M500 120GB mSATA ($79.99 on Amazon right now) to try something "non SandForce", and that has been working well.

Windows 8.1 installed without issue.

Because I'm using a weird PATA to SATA bridge, OS TRIM must be disabled (crazy performance issues, stuttering, and the drive reporting "100% active" if TRIM is not disabled). So I'm at the mercy of the drive's built-in garbage collection.

Is anyone familiar with the M500 series' features? Like, how aggressive is the garbage collection? Is it active, like SandForce, or more passive, like Samsung?

I got this upgrade for my 2006 ThinkPad T43. I've been using it, daily, for a quite a while; so this Crucial M500 will see a lot of use. If mSATA is around for a long time, I will probably upgrade it to 240GB or higher, once the prices have come down enough. The mSATA SSD plus a PATA to SATA adapter is an easy plug and play solution for the T43. I'd rather not mess with soldering a SATA connector to the motherboard.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

Is there something wrong with Toshibas? I bought a Toshiba Q Pro 128GB yesterday because it was on sale for $80 and I read that benchmarks for the 128 GB were so far the best for that size.

That said this is my first SSD of my own and wow, what a boot time. Also just plain everything is nice and snappy. I reinstalled Windows as well so it feels so fresh :3:

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Nah. It ain't the fastest or most energy efficient SSD around, but it is pretty good for the money. AnandTech was pretty impressed by the rebrand of the non-Pro Q, the Strontium Hawk. You made a good purchase.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ignoarints posted:

Is there something wrong with Toshibas? I bought a Toshiba Q Pro 128GB yesterday because it was on sale for $80 and I read that benchmarks for the 128 GB were so far the best for that size.
In the past toshiba has made some pretty awful drives. They've had some with lovely under-performing controllers, and sandforce drives that were snappy but omitted error correction space so had terrible reliability. But they sold most of their drives directly to major OEMs so they didn't get as much stink on them as the retail-focused brands with problems.

The Q Pro looks way better than past efforts, but I'd only buy one at a pretty hefty discount.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Toshiba sourced SSD for macbooks have all had serious firmware updates needed to prevent data corruption.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

incoherent posted:

Toshiba sourced SSD for macbooks have all had serious firmware updates needed to prevent data corruption.

"Have all"? No, that's not even close to true. The Toshiba SSDs used in one model year (2012) of one Apple product line (MacBook Air) have needed one firmware update to prevent data corruption and/or failure. Apple's been using a mix of Samsung and Toshiba SSDs almost the entire time they've been shipping SSDs, and have only recently branched out to throw something else in the mix (SandForce controllers). They'd be nuts to keep going back to Toshiba if literally every time they had to issue critical firmware updates.

(Also, Apple likes to get a bit involved in requesting firmware customization and doing extensive qualification testing, both HDD and SSD. I don't think they get into writing firmware themselves, but there are more reasons than cosmetic as to why their Samsung and Toshiba SSDs identify themselves via SMART as "APPLE SSD SMxxx" or "APPLE SSD TSxxx" instead of retaining the full Samsung or Toshiba brand name. That particular bug reflects badly on Apple, not just Toshiba -- it's something they probably ought to have caught with their own in-house qualification testing.)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Speaking of Apple SSDs, I got my new rMBP today:

Holy poo poo, PCIe SSDs are fast!

invid
Dec 19, 2002
What and how is the easiest way I can clone my existing Windows installation from a Samsung 840 256GB to my freshly purchased Samsung 840 EVO 250GB? Is a clean installation recommended at all?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
The Evo comes with free hard drive migration software that works perfectly fine, obviously have 6gb free on your original drive.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Also the goto app for cloning frequently mentioned here, Macrium Reflect Free is also great, I've cloned XP and Win 7 installs without a hitch.

It will auto resize partitions so you don't have to worry about wasted space.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Just make sure System Restore is still functioning properly after you're done cloning.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
Hi Alereon et al. I just buyed the 1TB Samsung 840 EVO. Thanks for doing the research and telling me this is the best one.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I created a separate thread for my continuing SSD problems, so it doesn't take up this thread, but dropped a link here, since I assume most of you don't frequent the Tech Support forum.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Samsung 840 Evo mSATA drives are out and available at Newegg, you may have trouble finding them as the form factor is set to 2.5" and the interface to mini-SATA (correct is mSATA form factor, SATA600 interface). Pricing is slightly more expensive than the 2.5" versions but not as bad as MSRP would suggest. I have updated the OP to make these the default mSATA recommendation, with a fallback to the Intel SSD 525.

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Speaking of Apple SSDs, I got my new rMBP today:

Holy poo poo, PCIe SSDs are fast!

I have an rMBP on the way so :smug:

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
If you just want >1GB/sec transfer rates you don't have to buy a $3000 facebook machine :)

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Any reviews yet on the Evo mSATA drives?

It would be nice to see how they stack up to the Crucial and Mushkin mSATA drives.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

SlayVus posted:

Any reviews yet on the Evo mSATA drives?

It would be nice to see how they stack up to the Crucial and Mushkin mSATA drives.
Anandtech's review is here, mSATA is just a different form factor so performance isn't any different from desktop drives with the same firmware.

E: I should use the right words so I make sense.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 27, 2014

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
Finally got my RMA replacement. Apparently Sandisk are bad at updating their external RMA status checker, drive said waiting in return and I got a knock from fedex.

Will post benchmarks on the extreme II but I doubt I will add anything new to this thread. It did come with a sticky expander to help place within a laptop which is nice.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

barbarianbob posted:

Hi Alereon et al. I just buyed the 1TB Samsung 840 EVO. Thanks for doing the research and telling me this is the best one.

"Hey, here's your SSD. And here's the data migration utility for you, on a CD-ROM"

:geno:

*doesn't have a DVD drive*

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

barbarianbob posted:

"Hey, here's your SSD. And here's the data migration utility for you, on a CD-ROM"

Macrium Reflect Free runs within Windows. Just disable/reenable System Restore when you're back up and running from the new drive, otherwise it gets confused when the Volume IDs change.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

Alereon posted:

Macrium Reflect Free runs within Windows. Just disable/reenable System Restore when you're back up and running from the new drive, otherwise it gets confused when the Volume IDs change.

Muchas gracias, my friend. My new drive is working smashingly now.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
Also if you do run from CD remember to turn off AHCI during the boot from cd process as most DVD drives will not read properly without an ahci driver as I found out first hand.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The samsung migration software runs from inside windows.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

NerdPolice posted:

Also if you do run from CD remember to turn off AHCI during the boot from cd process as most DVD drives will not read properly without an ahci driver as I found out first hand.

Don Lapre posted:

The samsung migration software runs from inside windows.

barbarianbob posted:

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
I installed Macrium Reflect Free and It Just Worked. You don't have to talk about it anymore.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you have an older ocz product i feel bad for you son

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7727/an-update-regarding-oczs-warranties

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
oh no, my old :rice: DDR1 :(

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

If you have an older ocz product i feel bad for you son

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7727/an-update-regarding-oczs-warranties

I feel bad for PC Power & Cooling. They went from one of the best / most respected enthusiast PSU manufacturers to OCZ-esque quality, and now they get orphaned. Hopefully they get bought by someone like Enermax/Antec or let off as an independent manufacturer again. Though, if they go independent again, it's a rough time to do so. The DIY PC market ain't what it used to be.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

krooj posted:

I feel bad for PC Power & Cooling. They went from one of the best / most respected enthusiast PSU manufacturers to OCZ-esque quality, and now they get orphaned. Hopefully they get bought by someone like Enermax/Antec or let off as an independent manufacturer again. Though, if they go independent again, it's a rough time to do so. The DIY PC market ain't what it used to be.

I can't imagine the premium PSU market has anywhere to go but down. Everyone made the biggest margins on high wattage stuff and after the next CPU and GPU die shrinks it's going to be incredibly hard to sell 650/750/850 watt PSUs to anyone but dummies who don't know better. Even SSDs and RAM are shaving off watts these days. My dual 770s can't pull more than 505 watts from the wall.

I remember the early Tom's hardware SSD tests showed that they didn't save wattage at all over spinners, but I guess everyone figured it out eventually with little fanfare.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Zero VGS posted:

I can't imagine the premium PSU market has anywhere to go but down. Everyone made the biggest margins on high wattage stuff and after the next CPU and GPU die shrinks it's going to be incredibly hard to sell 650/750/850 watt PSUs to anyone but dummies who don't know better. Even SSDs and RAM are shaving off watts these days. My dual 770s can't pull more than 505 watts from the wall.
Keep in mind that power demands from videocards have increased every generation, Crossfired R9 290(X) cards can easily use most of a 1200W power supply before overclocking. It's also important not to max out your power supply for power quality, noise, efficiency, and reliability reasons, so if you're buying less than a 750W power supply for a high-end system you are making a Bad Choice(tm).

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Alereon posted:

Keep in mind that power demands from videocards have increased every generation, Crossfired R9 290(X) cards can easily use most of a 1200W power supply before overclocking. It's also important not to max out your power supply for power quality, noise, efficiency, and reliability reasons, so if you're buying less than a 750W power supply for a high-end system you are making a Bad Choice(tm).

This is true, but my impression is that the enthusiast PSU market is actually in trouble thanks to reduced demand for fuckoff ridiculous CF / SLI gaming systems. Same is true of most other specialty "enthusiast" components. The money's in console games and mainstream PCs, and fancier graphics in games cost more to create, so fewer and fewer game developers deliberately target their games at running well only on cutting edge gaming PCs. For quite a while CF/SLI demand was driven mostly by people wanting to play on large and/or multiple monitors, but that's melting away as single GPUs get better and better. Maybe we'll see a return to that pattern as 4K+ monitors get cheap enough to appeal to gamers.

That's why OCZ was desperate to reinvent itself by moving into the then-new SSD market. SSDs have mainstream appeal, it was a chance to break out of the enthusiast niche. Too bad they were apparently run by incompetent jerks who thought the path to glory was doing any shady thing to grab market share, and that lovely products would surely not come back to bite them in the rear end.

(of course, that formula kinda sorta worked for them on RAM and so forth, but I think people get more pissed off by losing data than anything else, and also the mainstream has increased expectations for reliability compared to the overclock-till-it-smokes crowd)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

BobHoward posted:

This is true, but my impression is that the enthusiast PSU market is actually in trouble thanks to reduced demand for fuckoff ridiculous CF / SLI gaming systems. Same is true of most other specialty "enthusiast" components. The money's in console games and mainstream PCs, and fancier graphics in games cost more to create, so fewer and fewer game developers deliberately target their games at running well only on cutting edge gaming PCs. For quite a while CF/SLI demand was driven mostly by people wanting to play on large and/or multiple monitors, but that's melting away as single GPUs get better and better. Maybe we'll see a return to that pattern as 4K+ monitors get cheap enough to appeal to gamers.

That's why OCZ was desperate to reinvent itself by moving into the then-new SSD market. SSDs have mainstream appeal, it was a chance to break out of the enthusiast niche. Too bad they were apparently run by incompetent jerks who thought the path to glory was doing any shady thing to grab market share, and that lovely products would surely not come back to bite them in the rear end.

(of course, that formula kinda sorta worked for them on RAM and so forth, but I think people get more pissed off by losing data than anything else, and also the mainstream has increased expectations for reliability compared to the overclock-till-it-smokes crowd)

They left the RAM market because the consumer market for performance memory is basically gone. The only reason to get high-performance RAM is if you're a competitive overclocker; the actual performance benefits are virtually nonexistent at this point. This left OCZ to head for greener, higher-margin pastures. Unfortunately, SSDs quickly became a low-margin, commodity market as manufacturers quickly hit the performance limits of the SATA interface and any idiot on the Pacific Rim with a pick-and-place line and a reference design from Sandforce could crank out a perfectly acceptable consumer drive. If you didn't have some secret sauce of your own, you had no way to make any money compared to the vertically integrated manufacturers that had their own fabs, firmware teams, or controller tech. The Indilinx purchase was their last desperate gasp at relevance in the market before the whole thing came crashing down.

• Locked thread