Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

JGBeagle posted:

in 'Murica you have to have more than half of one tribe.

This isn't really true.

1) The Census doesn't validate in any way, and explicitly acknowledges that they are asking about "a social definition of race recognized in this country and not an attempt to define race biologically, anthropologically, or genetically" - http://www.census.gov/population/race/
2) You don't need any specific amount of blood to be a member of at least three tribes listed below. Generally speaking, it seems to be enough that you can trace direct descent to a member of the tribe as of a certain date.
http://www.lowersioux.com/tribal_regulations.html
http://www.sioux.org/index.php/main/inner/sioux/enrollment_office
http://www.cherokee.org/Services/TribalCitizenship/Citizenship.aspx
3) These listed college scholarships have widely varying requirements, from requiring no specific blood to requiring 1/4 (and at least in one case, they note that can be from any combination of tribes):
http://indianeducation.spps.org/scholarship_information

ulmont fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

We gain a core on Kano, but have bigger problems, our manpower has hit near zero, so we will be relying on mercenaries for now. We form one large army and march forwards once more.

We smash two smaller armies, then march to relieve Rashid.

We lose the battle, and the Abbasids move up behind us and rout our army! This is terrible news!

Our technology advances, we also learn improved harbours.

With no army left, we are forced to sign peace treaties conceding land! At least the farmers are doing well and we can increase our manpower reserves.

We soon improve our weapons. This war has taught us our new armies are no where near as numerous as our old ones. Better training and equipment is needed.

A new army is raised, but it cannot match the enemy yet.

People begin to mutter – Umar brought this disastrous war on us, he is the one who sought to make his name greater than his fathers. He is only in this for his own personal gain. Umar shrugs, and continues to try and marshal his forces.

The war is not going well, even he must admit that.

The army cannot stand against the Abbasids, this battle started with us having a three to one advantage in men, and even with us killing two to one, we still lost!

The peace, when it comes, is humiliating.

We lose almost all of Egypt and the rich provinces therein.

Umar knows he needs to perform a huge amount of reforms before we strike back. He starts with the economy.

We also have a rebel problem in the now unreachable lands.

Next up, we send the colonist into Sierra Leone, but not before the army marches in to deal with the murderous natives first. We then pay off a war lone and reduce inflation before the main program begins.

We also try and smooth over relations with our neighbours. While we are defiantly going to kill all the Abbasids, we need time to rebuild the army first!

We also hire a new advisor to help keep inflation in check – apparently we produce to much gold! Who would ever have thought that would be a problem!

Meanwhile, the army needs to put down the upperty minorities that seem to think that Ghana is collapsing.

Next we improve our trade.

Meanwhile, we continue to put down revolts.

We begin to rebuild the army, and any spare money is thrown at armouries - these give us more men and cheaper regiments. A thing we need now.

We also accept our mission is now to rebuild the army.

Years pass as we slowly rebuild. We have to replace some of our advisor’s as age takes their predecessors.

We also continue our technological advances.

The Andalucians finally get their act together and begin to expand. We of course join their war against the remaining Muslims in the west.

We land troops on Mallorca to try and repair the damage to our military reputation. The war ends before we can make any military gains, but is has been a useful exercise.

There is still trouble amongst the people though, as this push for military power angers them.

We execute some, send more down to Sierra Leone and continue to improve the army.

We finally rebuild the army to a decent state. 42,000 men are now under arms.

We come close to the largest army we can support – over fifty thousand men, most of them in the border region. All know the war is coming soon. A few more years should see our manpower recovered to the point we can wage war. Umar begins to save a war chest.

Casting an eye over Iberia shows us that Castile has been devoured by Andalusia and Portugal.

The last piece falls into place with the development of the spitting snake – or “cannon” as the Europeans call it. The Snakes are a new technology that will allow Ghanans to rain death upon their mortal enemies.

We also continue to improve the bureaucracy.

The generals set their minds to war.

We also see more interesting people at court.

As we head towards war, our greatest General dies.

Ghana readies herself for another major war. Let us see how we fair this time. Our military technology level is 7, the Abbasids 5. They have 53,000 men, we have 54,000. they have a manpower reserve of 10,000 men, we have 15,000.

It is time to retake Egypt!

Also, check out Base Raiders - Lets Raid the Bat Cave!

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 25, 2014

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

Beamed posted:

He was obviously not entirely serious that he personally hated himself for it.

Yes, this.

Sorry, guys, I didn't mean to set off a shitstorm/derail. Let's go back to watching the Ogoonu's conquer and gently caress their way to a pan-African empire.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

ulmont posted:

This isn't really true.

1) The Census doesn't validate in any way, and explicitly acknowledges that they are asking about "a social definition of race recognized in this country and not an attempt to define race biologically, anthropologically, or genetically" - http://www.census.gov/population/race/
2) You don't need any specific amount of blood to be a member of at least three tribes listed below. Generally speaking, it seems to be enough that you can trace direct descent to a member of the tribe as of a certain date.
http://www.lowersioux.com/tribal_regulations.html
http://www.sioux.org/index.php/main/inner/sioux/enrollment_office
http://www.cherokee.org/Services/TribalCitizenship/Citizenship.aspx
3) These listed college scholarships have widely varying requirements, from requiring no specific blood to requiring 1/4 (and at least in one case, they note that can be from any combination of tribes):
http://indianeducation.spps.org/scholarship_information

Thanks for the info.

And drat those Abbasids. :argh:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Guess some things need cleaning up, still.

Alternatively: That's one powerful Ghanan to be pulling that off all by himself.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Looks like Lancaster is winning in England and has almost kicked Great Britain off the island.

Well, Castille is dead and Portugal is landlocked, this will be a pretty quiet New World, just waiting for Irish, Scottish, Norwegian, Breton, and French explorers, all of whom tend to come late.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Gaddamn, Abbasids kicking our poo poo and I don't get to say that I don't care about my ancestry, I can just look it up in the database going back the last 1000 years or so if I care to.

Patter Song posted:

Looks like Lancaster is winning in England and has almost kicked Great Britain off the island.

Well, Castille is dead and Portugal is landlocked, this will be a pretty quiet New World, just waiting for Irish, Scottish, Norwegian, Breton, and French explorers, all of whom tend to come late.
What about the other branch of the Ogoonas? Won't they possible colonize?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Did anyone actually check what ideas Portucale has?

Also, we're going to loving demolish the Abbasids if we have a a +0.5 military tactics advantage (and more if you rusk mil 8, which I don't see why you wouldn't).

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

What about the other branch of the Ogoonas? Won't they possible colonize?

If Andalusia is stealing Granada's idea set from Vanilla, yes, but they probably aren't, just like Portucale isn't doing so from Portugal.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Gaddamn, Abbasids kicking our poo poo and I don't get to say that I don't care about my ancestry, I can just look it up in the database going back the last 1000 years or so if I care to.

Must be nice to come from a pure European background and not have a cloud of doubt about what you actually are. :allears:

Patter Song posted:

If Andalusia is stealing Granada's idea set from Vanilla, yes, but they probably aren't, just like Portucale isn't doing so from Portugal.

Speaking of national ideas where do you go to add the titles and descriptions? Seeing "=dec" is going to get real tired real fast.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

JGBeagle posted:

Must be nice to come from a pure European background and not have a cloud of doubt about what you actually are. :allears:

Speaking of national ideas where do you go to add the titles and descriptions? Seeing "=dec" is going to get real tired real fast.

<mod directory>\localisation\arbitraryfilename_l_english.yml . The existing idea names/descriptions are in <game directory>\localisation\powers_and_ideas_l_english.yml - just copy their format.

E.g.:

code:
 GHA_ideas: "Ghanan Ideas"
 GHA_ideas_start: "Ghanan Traditions"
 GHA_ideas_bonus: "Ghanan Ambitions"
 well_snake: "The Power of the Well-Snake"
 well_snake_desc: "Something something haha (penis)"
Making some assumptions about the country tag & ideas.

e: actually the country tag is a CK2 conversion, so it'll be some autogenerated garbage.

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 25, 2014

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
So why were you losing all the time no matter how much you outnumbered the enemy?

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Looking at it, it seems like he had no generals in charge of his armies. Though I don't actually have the game, so I could be entirely wrong there.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
I didn't notice anything explaining this, so what's the deal with the separation of Portugal and Portucale? Is Portugal some sort of government-in-exile like Taiwan, but not as hosed?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Ghost Stromboli posted:

I didn't notice anything explaining this, so what's the deal with the separation of Portugal and Portucale? Is Portugal some sort of government-in-exile like Taiwan, but not as hosed?

Basically the converter makes the best of a hard job but weird poo poo can and will still happen.

Tiresias2
May 31, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Allahu Ackbar, long live the Caliphate.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Packyy posted:

Allahu Ackbar, long live the Caliphate.

May the snake in the well curse you with swift death from a venereal disease transmitted via dirty needle.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Ghost Stromboli posted:

It's entirely possible to end CK2 with the Kingdom of X and the Duchy of X as the primary titles of separate, independent rulers, so the automatic converter gives them the same name in EU4.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Sindai posted:

It's entirely possible to end CK2 with the Kingdom of X and the Duchy of X as the primary titles of separate, independent rulers, so the automatic converter gives them the same name in EU4.

There is some historical precedent for this. See: the County and Duchy of Burgundy.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

drat it Andalusia, the Qadrids should not STILL be alive after all these centuries :argh:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Flesnolk posted:

So why were you losing all the time no matter how much you outnumbered the enemy?

It may have been a unit level issue. If the Abyssids had stronger units sometimes your army can frustratingly collapse. Or terrain advantages. Or the Abyssids were coming in piecemeal, which would at least explain the casualties. As each group of new arrivals came in, the Abyssids morale went high enough to eventually outdo the Ogoonan army.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Veloxyll posted:

It may have been a unit level issue. If the Abyssids had stronger units sometimes your army can frustratingly collapse. Or terrain advantages. Or the Abyssids were coming in piecemeal, which would at least explain the casualties. As each group of new arrivals came in, the Abyssids morale went high enough to eventually outdo the Ogoonan army.

A bit of both I think - we were defiantly winning one battle until a few thousand reinforcements came in, then we collapsed. This time we have two tech levels on them.

We had generals for most of our forces, but I plan on hiring a few more before we go to war - Research penalty be damned. we'll make the tech loss back with our stunning victories! We just need some early wins with high Abbasid losses to break their manpower bank, once it hits mercenaries, we should have the advantage with our huge gold income!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
At this stage in the game a 2 tech level advantage is going to probably make you utterly destroy their armies unless they have amazing generals (like 5/6 shock and fire) in which case it might be an even fight.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
This world is really blobbing, aside from, oddly, the British Isles.

Is there any chance of Portucale or Gascogne having colonization national interests? Does the AI sometimes colonize even if it doesn't have an AI script that "pushes" them into it?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Veryslightlymad posted:

This world is really blobbing, aside from, oddly, the British Isles.

Nobody tells the celts what to do.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Combats a bit more complicated in Eu4 than CK2, in some ways anyway.

Terrain matters A LOT more than in CK2. For important battles its always worth switching to terrain view, selecting your army and hovering over the province you will be fighting in. It should give you % chance of various types of terrain eg.

34% Mountain
25% Dessert Mountain
20% Dessert
etc

It should be pretty obvious what kind of terrain you want for attacking (flat plains!) and what you want for defending (Big gently caress off mountains) so be aware of that. It can make a huge difference.

Combat in general in EU4 is based on opposing dice rolls. 0-9. These are then helped or hindered by modifiers and damage done depending on some combo of how high the rolls were and the difference between them.

You have 2 main rounds, fire and shock. Before gunpowder gets good, (mil tech 12-15) shock rules the battlefield. Fire still does damage but fights are won with shock then it slowly flips over as the game progresses.

Terrain adds negative modifiers to dice rolls for the attacker. Going over a river (as seen on the actual map) is a -1 on every attack roll. Landing into a battle from ships is -2. Mountains used to be -3! (and they all stack) I think they toned that back to -2.

Generals add their pips for Shock and fire to the respective rounds. If both sides have a general, ATTACK has a 4 shock and DEFENCE has a 2 shock, ATTACK will get a +2 for all shock rounds.

Quality of units will modify again the output of these dice in a way I don't quite know, just understand that all the pips are either orange (do damage) or green (defend against damage).

Bonuses you can get for your Army are based around Discipline, more = more damage done, Moral = obviously how long they stick around before routing, Military Tactics = massively reduces casualties based on the difference between you and your opponents level the main reason teching up military is so important, combat width is just how many men you can fit on a front line, more = better as more guys can then hurt the enemy.

Adding reinformcements (marching in new stacks into a battle) is a key part of fighting in EU4, it boosts moral and encourages enemies into fights they might lose. If you have a 50 man doom stack (even ignoring the attrition) the AI wont really attack you unless it has an 80 man doom stack of its own. If you have 5x 10 man stacks you have a greater chance of getting a fight you can win going as you then slowly plough the other 40k into a meatgrinder.

Manoeuvre on generals is a pretty boss stat and often under rated. It makes armies march on the main map faster, but when fighting, it hugely increases the chances you will fight on favourable terrain if your stat is higher than the enemies, that 6 manoeuvre general can be better than the 2 fire 5 shock guy in the right circumstances.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

34% Mountain
25% Dessert Mountain
20% Dessert
etc

It wouldn't be a Grey Hunter LP without mountains of dessert.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Drone posted:

When in 4th Rome.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Drone posted:

Its my wife, she just likes to bake.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Right, I mentioned running a series of Call of Cthulhu games, and I have started a thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3605054

I am happy to do other systems, as well though!

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
The inflation system could be improved if other people getting money inflates a whole region, and to a lesser extent neighboring regions, with perhaps some increased trade to mitigate it.

Nice to see we're about to smack the Abbasids back to the Middle East. Once we get our badboy down we should gobble up Mecca!
Also, what happened to Burgundy-Rhineland-Brittania is a crying shame. Lancaster is cool though.

Hey, wait, wow, we actually have no major german state except semi-big Bavaria, and they might not stay strong for long.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 27, 2014

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

Readingaccount posted:

Also, what happened to Burgundy-Rhineland-Brittania is a crying shame. Lancaster is cool though.

Hey, wait, wow, we actually have no major german state except semi-big Bavaria, and they might not stay strong for long.

I like seeing the alternate Europes that don't develop the same great powers as every other. Do we really need another Germany in this game? We get it, you stomp in the faces of your enemies. It's been done before, Germany. So I for one welcome this unusually bold Denmark that feels the need to expand into central Europe.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
If wouldn't give it too much hope. The game still has all the original tags, so any really successful German Nation will form Germany sooner or later, same with Great Britain, France and Spain.

I mean, due to the completely different history these countries probably would be culturally nothing like their OTL counterpart, but map and game mechanic wise, I doubt it will get too crazy.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

e X posted:

Great Britain

Nope. The Great Britain tag is in use, by a country about to be completely forced into exile in Belgium. Lancaster can form England, but it can't form Great Britain unless the current Great Britain ceases to exist.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We start the war. Our entire army marches forwards to try and decapitate the enemy.

We chase their army to Aswan before engaging.

It is a long battle, but our numbers pay off, and we smash the enemy, butchering most of their cavalry and huge numbers of their infantry.

We also see some victories at sea.

Another major victory is scored at Alexandria, with another 25,000 Abbasids killed.

A second battle in Alexandria has the same result. The new spitting snakes are proving their worth, raining death from afar.

Of course all this war preparation has a few problems.

Although we continue to do research.

Umar passes on, and his son Maghan takes the throne. He already has an heir, but is useless in anything but diplomacy. At least his son seems to be more balanced.

We repair the stability damage and focus on charging the enemy.

After four long years of war, the Abbasids finally get the hint and cede Egypt back to us.

The nation is whole once more, but at great cost. Once all the mercenaries have been sent home, only 7,000 of the 54,000 soldiers who went to war remain.

After the war we make many effort to bring our stability to maximum, people must know that the Empire is eternal. We then set about rebuilding the army.
Meanwhile, Andalucia expands once more.

We also learn that Sierra Leone is self sufficient, and now a province proper. We send our settlers to Konian.

The next few years are spent in peace, rebuilding the army and constructing temples and armouries across the nation. Every other month we can order a new construction, our wealth is so great.

With our manpower reserves still low, we have to contend with a lack of salt.

Thankfully, this is a good year for snake worshipping, and the population boom it brings with it.

The Andalucians are making up for lost time, and call us into another expansionist war. We agree, but send no troops. Our main function is to keep others from coming to the aid of our cousins.

We do get a ship from it when an enemy fleet is caught in our seas when war is declared.

With this success, we decide to make our participation in this war a naval one, and send the fleet out to hunt. This is then curtailed when Byzantium enters the war against the Andalucians and sends out their mighty fleet. Ours retreats to Tunis.

Meanwhile, we begin to expand our court system.

Our new colony begins to produce ivory,

The Romans are making the war for Valencia painful for our allies. I shall not send in men, partly because they rule the waves, and partly as we are still replacing losses from our own last war! They surrender soon after this.

After ten years, we finally replace all of the losses from the reconquest of Egypt. We celebrate by bringing in conscription.

The Natives get upperty in Konian, they like their elephants apparently.

It is time to expand once more. We march into Benin to bring them civilization.

They only have 1000 soldiers, it is a quick war and we reach another coast.

Things are nice and quiet. Ghanan Ivory is taking the world by storm.

A new century dawns. In Ghana, docks have been built in all the coastal provinces except the newly acquired.

Western Europe and Iberia are not much changed.

Lancaster is slowly reclaiming Britain.

Denmark rules northern Europe.

Finland and Norway are trying to hold them back from Scandinavia.

Central Europe is split between the Croatian Empire and the Kingdom of Kiev.

The Golden Horde is Eastern Europe.

Rome is smaller, but powerful, and the Abbasids remain the Abbasids.

Just as Ghana Remains Ghana.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Great Old Croatia (may its clay be forever blessed) is one of my favorite things about life outside Ghana in the Ogoonuverse.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Where did Gelre come from? They're going to become The Netherlands pretty soon.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, the Spanish tended to keep rather good records; the local churches seemed to be rather good at keeping records of births and baptisms at the very least, probably marriages as well.

Early Spaniards in America mostly kept records of the nobility. The current chilean president, Sebastian Piñera, can trace his ancestry to the last Inca. On the other hand, most of us mestizos have a hard time pinpointing where our european and native ancestors collided.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Yikes, the Abbasids have nearly twice your morale, that is probably one of the major reasons for the loss in the first war.
Also: Wow, that is one massive Denmark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Mecca! Then once that's done we can continue annexing the Abyssinians. But we must never forget, we OWN the muslim world.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 27, 2014

• Locked thread