Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

demonR6 posted:

Went to MK today thinking it's Monday, holiday but kids in school so how bad can it be? Other than getting into Be Our Guest in under a half hour and there being boatloads of college / university cheerleaders everywhere I have nothing positive to say about the experience. Also Fast Pass+ can suck a hot bowl of donkey penises. The line at Buzz Lightyear on the mobile app said half hour, we had just left BOG so we said let's do it. On the way there notice that it is pretty crowded. We pass Cosmic Ray's and see just loads of people eating anywhere, on the curb, in planters, standing up. So we get to Buzz and the notice is 35 minutes stand by. When we eventually get around so we can see the front entrance again the FP line is around the building. An hour into the wait and we get to the part of the queue where FP and the stand by victims intersect. They were letting only 1 party go through to 15+ FP, we counted. Every ride was this way. FP+ is backed up, they are letting them go through in droves while the poor idiots who are on stand by sit there and wait until later. Disney should just make all the rides reservation only because honestly this is BS. Everyone in our line was pissed off at the wait and on the way out they had the idiots taking surveys and people were going off on them. I was so pissed off by the time we got to the ride I just sat there and rode it out. My wife actually participated in the ride but I was having nothing of it. Sorry but FP was bad, FP+ is just making GBS threads on anyone who is not using the system and that is not fun.

Because of their high capacity rides like Buzz, Mermaid and Haunted Mansion really don't need FastPass, the end result is usually just longer standby lines that move occasionally instead of a single, continuously moving line. The Fastpasses probably aren't going anywhere though because believe it or not, the average number of Fastpasses used by a guest in a day was pretty close to 1. I'm sure there's people here who got four or five per day, but they were balanced out by people not using any. Now they're giving everyone three per day, which requires a greater supply of Fastpasses and that makes high capacity rides prime targets to push that demand on to. I've seen FP lines backed up into walkways a few times now, but that's usually just a bottleneck at the front of the line where they're first checking Fastpasses. It takes quite a bit longer now to check everyone's passes compared to just flashing a few pieces of paper and going in. Now if you've got a party of five, everyone's gotta sit there and tap their bands up to the podium just right and grandma can't get it situated the right way to get it to read. Then there's Brazilian Tour Groups using FastPass+!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
About 2P they actually came out over the intercom, park wide and announced the MK was going to be open an extra hour. You could hear the cast members in the shop we were in let out a very unhappy sigh. Outside though people were whooping and hollering. After the disappointment at Buzz we stopped at the Christmas shop at Adventureland my wife wanted to make a quick stop at and left for home. It was not worth being there. We will try again this weekend where we know there are no holidays.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

mearn posted:

...Brazilian Tour Groups...

A topic deserving of its own thread.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
So what's the word on free meal plans this year? I remember hearing they may not bring doing them again.

Anyone have any idea?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Lincoln posted:

A topic deserving of its own thread.

Wait...is this a problem or something at Disney World? I'm going for the first time in a couple of weeks and I'm actually kind of curious if this is something I should keep in mind.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Noisy, raucous, rude and the girls/women are barely clothed but otherwise not a problem at all.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I love Brazillian tour groups. They're obnoxious but not any more so than any organized group. What I like is that they're always so happy; that's a big thing for me. Their tour guides not so much but the hundred people they have following them make up for it.

It's the American school groups I loathe. They don't listen and are grumpy in general and they can't even claim a language barrier, they're just being rude for rudeness sake.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Last time I went at the same time as some of those groups I saw what had to be a 13 year old girl wearing what amounted to a string bikini with pockets. Just another day at the ol' Magic Kingdom.

Also: I am amazed they just threw the FP+ system out there as quickly as they did. With the MagicBands it works like a charm, but then throwing everyone else into the mix at the drop of a hat seems...dumb.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Last time I went at the same time as some of those groups I saw what had to be a 13 year old girl wearing what amounted to a string bikini with pockets. Just another day at the ol' Magic Kingdom.

Also: I am amazed they just threw the FP+ system out there as quickly as they did. With the MagicBands it works like a charm, but then throwing everyone else into the mix at the drop of a hat seems...dumb.

The lines to get into FP+ kiosks were insane..

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

demonR6 posted:

The lines to get into FP+ kiosks were insane..

Can you get a FP to the kiosk?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
No idea what it does other than they are all over and always jam packed with a line outside at some.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I doubt it will make you feel better but FP+ literally just went live (completely live, with no legacy FP available) within the last week or two; a bunch of my friends who work in the parks were talking about the live date as if it were the coming apocalypse. I'm not defending FP+ (it's pretty dumb IMHO) but remember that new things will always have a rough learning curve.

Also remember that the CMs who are letting a billion FP+ people through the line at the merge point are being literally scolded every time they go outside the ratio of Fastpass to normal riders entering the line; more often then not, there are even cameras on them to make sure they follow the ratio. 9 out of 10 CMs would happily let a torrent of normal guests through because they feel bad making them wait for so long.

The system is silly and pretty bad but the CMs have no control over it whatsoever, try to save frustration for the powers that be instead of the overworked college kid that has to enforce the rules.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

If you are looking for a kiosk and can't find one, look for a cast member with an Ipad strapped to their hand, just wandering around. Usually they can do all the things a kiosk can and they don't have lines.

(also go to Pete's Silly Sideshow. The kiosks near there are not very busy at the start of the day)

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Roar posted:

I doubt it will make you feel better but FP+ literally just went live (completely live, with no legacy FP available) within the last week or two; a bunch of my friends who work in the parks were talking about the live date as if it were the coming apocalypse. I'm not defending FP+ (it's pretty dumb IMHO) but remember that new things will always have a rough learning curve.

Also remember that the CMs who are letting a billion FP+ people through the line at the merge point are being literally scolded every time they go outside the ratio of Fastpass to normal riders entering the line; more often then not, there are even cameras on them to make sure they follow the ratio. 9 out of 10 CMs would happily let a torrent of normal guests through because they feel bad making them wait for so long.

The system is silly and pretty bad but the CMs have no control over it whatsoever, try to save frustration for the powers that be instead of the overworked college kid that has to enforce the rules.

I never complain to the cast members.. I save that for the guest services office always. They get paid for that, not the poor guy trying to get everyone through the line without having a meltdown.

cf1140
Jun 28, 2008
They should just get rid of fastpasses because they just increase the standby wait times and piss those guests off.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
we'll see this weekend how it goes and I will be sure to post up how the lines were doing.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Roar posted:

I doubt it will make you feel better but FP+ literally just went live (completely live, with no legacy FP available) within the last week or two; a bunch of my friends who work in the parks were talking about the live date as if it were the coming apocalypse.

OK, so. Sounds like it's time to update the OP again. I didn't write a lot about FastPass because detail would have been confusing (remember, this is the "first-timers'" guide) and because everything as about to change when I wrote it. Here's what's in the OP:

I originally posted:

Once inside the park, a number of goofballs always make a dash for the “mountains,” which are Space, Splash and Big Thunder Mountain, three of the MK’s most popular rides. They’re hurrying to get their FastPasses for one of the mountains, then get in line for another.

What is a FastPass, you ask. It’s a ticket that lets you cut in line later in the day. Let’s say it’s 11 AM, and the wait for Peter Pan is an hour. Who the hell wants to wait an hour to ride Peter Pan? Not you! So you insert your park ticket into Peter Pan’s FastPass machine, and it spits out a piece of paper that lets you come back between 2:00 and 3:00 (for example), and enter the ride through the Fast Pass line, which is very short because they only distribute a small number of FastPasses.

You can only get a limited number of FastPasses each day. Learn to use them; they can save you a LOT of time.

If the park isn’t going to be very full that day, don’t worry about the goofballs, you’ll be able to get your FastPasses as you naturally work your way through the park and get on the rides without too much of a wait. However, if the park is going to be packed, you want to get your FastPasses quickly, as they do run out of them on busy days.

NOTE: Disney is rolling out a new system called MyMagic+ ("My Magic Plus"), which will supplement and possibly replace the existing FastPass system. It’s not fully implemented as of this writing (December 2013), but once it looks like it's park-wide and stable, we'll discuss here. Stay tuned.

I haven't been to WDW in 2 years, and I'm not going back until this coming November. I HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED FAST PASS PLUS. I'll need help updating. Can someone pen a quick overview of FP+? You will be given proper credit and five Disney Dollars not really about the Disney Dollars I don't have any left.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Lincoln posted:

OK, so. Sounds like it's time to update the OP again. I didn't write a lot about FastPass because detail would have been confusing (remember, this is the "first-timers'" guide) and because everything as about to change when I wrote it. Here's what's in the OP:

I haven't been to WDW in 2 years, and I'm not going back until this coming November. I HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED FAST PASS PLUS. I'll need help updating. Can someone pen a quick overview of FP+? You will be given proper credit and five Disney Dollars not really about the Disney Dollars I don't have any left.

I can do that for you:

FastPass+ is Disney's upgrade to the original FASTPASS System. Unlike before, with paper tickets dispensed at the rides, instead, you can book your experiences all at once in one of two ways. If you are staying at a Disney operated resort you will receive a MagicBand before your trip. This is a plastic wristband that contains your park ticket and room key, among other things. With a MagicBand you can make FastPass+ reservations up to 60 days before your trip. To use these FastPasses, simply tap your band to the scanners at the entrance. If you are staying at off property or visiting for a day, you can book your FastPass+ reservations using your plastic park ticket at one of the many kiosks in the Disney World theme parks. In both cases, you are limited to three choices a day at one theme park. If you parkhop, you'll have to choose which park has priority for FastPasses.

"If on-site guests can book in advance, will I get a FastPass+ for what I want?" Yes and No. Disney holds a select amount of FastPasses for each attraction for the people booking on the day of. They will go fast, however, and the early bird gets that particular worm. The exception to this is the new ability to FastPass certain entertainment options like Fireworks, parades, or shows. At this time, there are no day off passes for those events, which may or may not change in the future. Even if you can book in advance, these fill up fast.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
We went on a Disney trip yesterday to the Magic Kingdom, and I thought I could give a good perspective on the Fastpass+ system.

Our group was myself, my wife, our almost three-year-old daughter, and our one-year-old daughter (yesterday was her birthday, the purpose for our trip).

As always, we didn't get to the Magic Kingdom until the afternoon. We're not morning people to begin with, and two toddlers makes getting out of the house even trickier. My wife made some Fastpass+ reservations reservations a few weeks ago, so we already had our three (one for Winnie the Pooh, one for Rapunzel Meet and Greet, and one for Peter Pan). Due to our late arrival and the Monorail being down, we would have missed our first Fastpass+ time. Luckily, we have Smartphones with the MyDisney Experience app and so could change that first time, even just before it expired. Seriously, if you can, use the app instead of the kiosks. It's so much more convenient.

The park was kind of on the high side of low attendance, so lines weren't too bad and there were always many options for Fastpasses. We had one other situation in which we had to change a Fastpass time and could do so easily, letting us avoid a 40-minute line. Because of Fastpass+, we were able to see both sets of princesses with less than 5 minute waits each.

So for low attendance, Fastpass+ is fantastic since it lets you avoid the few long lines. For moderate attendance, the only difference would probably be less ability to change attractions and times. Since we usually get to the parks late, we used to be lucky to get even one Fastpass. Now we get a guaranteed three. If you plan ahead, a guaranteed three Fastpasses for a high attendance day seems like a good deal, but we avoid the parks on those days, anyway. Yeah, they can mess with the standby lines, but with a good selection of times, it saves guests like me significantly more time than it costs.

So, that's my little dissenting opinion.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Paul Allen posted:

So what's the word on free meal plans this year? I remember hearing they may not bring doing them again.

Anyone have any idea?

I'm not saying they won't do a general public free dining promo, but word in the TA circle is that it's being phased out. Disney is sending out a lot more discount PINs to people via email. I actually got a free dining PIN about a week ago.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

demonR6 posted:

Oh yeah, I knew that but typically this is not a major holiday, they type you pack up the entire family for a trek to Orlando. There were a lot of locals to be honest because the kids were wearing their school shirts and you could see all the annual passholders everywhere.

I made a mistake with the kids in school holiday, I know they are off but what I meant is that it is not an extended holiday like Christmas or spring break..

Just a head's up for people considering it next year, almost every school in Florida is closed on both Friday and Monday for MLK (Friday's a planning day for teachers), so it's pretty much a four day weekend for public schools. We were there for a few days before that and it was decently mild. We did have to evacuate Spaceship Earth via stairs from close to the top, that was interesting.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Oh my gosh we're going to Disneyworldland!

Not WDW, but a question for those in the know: Mousesavers is promoting a special deal Cheaptickets (apparently a subsidy of Orbitz or something like that) has, where you can buy a 3 or 4 day Park Hopper Pass and get an extra day free. I want in on this, but they send you a voucher you redeem at DL, and I'm absolutely paranoid of arriving and find that they aren't accepted. How much of a risk am I running?

RabbitMage fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 26, 2014

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Mousesavers is reputable so the deal is more than likely legit. I can't say for certain because I haven't dealt with this but I don't think Mousesavers would back it if it was scammy.

WDW is running the same deal but it's not a voucher situation.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
My husband is a big Disney guy and spent alot of his time at Disneyland growing up but has never been to WDW and i'm looking pretty far ahead to getting a week in around Oct 30th 2014, his birthday. This seems to be non peak from what I can tell - kids are in school everywhere and no major holidays. Any time on when I should book? It looks like restaurant reservations aren't even allowed until 6 months out. Also will disney deal with all the plane flight details? We are two hippish well off adults with no interest in the kid stuff - Would the Contemporary be the best? We are definitely happy to do it right and have a good budget.

Ugh, that was alot of words for when should I call Disney to plan my stuff?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I think Mousesavers is pretty good about the deals they list, so not sure it's much of a risk. Just be sure to read the fine print to make sure it's not something weird like "must be used within 14 days" or something. Also be sure the price is good for you since it needs to be a park hopper. My wife and I were perfectly content devoting each day entirely to each park by themselves, but with the free day anyway, might still be cost-effective. And have fun in Disneyland! It's a different experience but a lot of fun.

On a side note, has anyone else been noticing a definite increase in quality at the counter service restaurants lately? I was kind of assuming it was over the last couple years since we didn't hit them up much for a long while, but it seems like every time we go to one now, each place has at least one new specialty item worth checking out. I looked at the menus on allears, and all menus from early last year don't have the new stuff but the ones from December do. Not sure when these changes went down, but it seems to be all over Disney World.

The counter service at the Polynesian has a great pulled pork sandwich, French Quarter has some really good po' boys, and the Grand Floridian has a weird but good burger that, while I can't remember the name exactly, was some kind of play on The Great Gatsby.

EDIT ^^^^

I'd recommend planning your stuff 180 days out if you want to hit the high demand stuff (Le Cellier, Be Our Guest, Fireworks Fastpass+ seats, etc.). I'm not sure about your budget, but if you're looking into the Contemporary, I'm assuming cost is less of a factor for hotel. In that case, I'll put forth that The Wilderness Lodge is absolutely awesome for couples. It's not on the monorail, but there are boats to take you to the Magic Kingdom or any other monorail connection. The atmosphere is just really great for unwinding. Otherwise, if you're looking for something "elegant," that's the Grand Floridian. Its lobby and the live music they have is pretty cool. For the best pools, look into the Beach Club (Yacht Club?) resorts. The Contemporary has some nice features, but it lacks a lot of the themeing that make the resorts fun to stay at. I would recommend the Polynesian, but I'm not sure how long the construction around it is gonna last.

We generally always take a trip in late October ourselves, so you're pretty much right about the crowd levels. It's nothing too bad except on the weekend at Epcot because of the Food and Wine Festival, which you absolutely must do. Just go to it on a weekday.

I'm not sure how soon you should try booking if you're using a travel agent, but if doing it yourself, definitely start booking the stuff 180 days in advance just to be on the safe side.

HPanda fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 26, 2014

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Tigntink posted:

My husband is a big Disney guy and spent alot of his time at Disneyland growing up but has never been to WDW and i'm looking pretty far ahead to getting a week in around Oct 30th 2014, his birthday. This seems to be non peak from what I can tell - kids are in school everywhere and no major holidays. Any time on when I should book? It looks like restaurant reservations aren't even allowed until 6 months out. Also will disney deal with all the plane flight details? We are two hippish well off adults with no interest in the kid stuff - Would the Contemporary be the best? We are definitely happy to do it right and have a good budget.

Ugh, that was alot of words for when should I call Disney to plan my stuff?

If I were you, I'd book sometime soon so you can get in on the current prices before they go up this summer. More than likely, there will be a discount available for Oct, but in case there isn't, you'll have paid the lowest price possible.

You can book your entire package through Disney, airfare and all, if you want.

Contemporary resort is nice, Polynesian would be my recommendation but they're doing some refurb right now. It's supposed to be done in Sept but stuff falls behind.

I'm a travel agent who specializes in Disney. If you'd like help planning your trip, shoot me a PM.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Do this ^^^

Disney can be so much more phenomenal with some know-how, and if you're not into an absurd amount of research, a specialized agent would be the way to go.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I was trying to squeeze in a trip during presidents week since our school system is closed for winter break. Flights were a bit high, but that is my fault for waiting. I could play around with some off-day, off-hour times to get a better rate. More important is that my employee discounts were not turning up any rooms at the Boardwalk / Beach / Yacht. All I was coming up with was Caribbean, which we stayed last time, or they were pushing me off to higher end suites. We decided to bag it for now and start looking at April instead.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Braksgirl posted:

If I were you, I'd book sometime soon so you can get in on the current prices before they go up this summer. More than likely, there will be a discount available for Oct, but in case there isn't, you'll have paid the lowest price possible.

You can book your entire package through Disney, airfare and all, if you want.

Contemporary resort is nice, Polynesian would be my recommendation but they're doing some refurb right now. It's supposed to be done in Sept but stuff falls behind.

I'm a travel agent who specializes in Disney. If you'd like help planning your trip, shoot me a PM.

PM sent. I'm so appreciative of help and direction here. Thanks!

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I haven't seen this thread before until tonight, so here is my rap sheet: Bought annual passes for my wife and I to WDW since we've been living in Florida and love to visit the parks. Prior to that, I had vacationed at Disney roughly once every 4-5 years. We're also DVC members and are about to sail on our third Disney Cruise Lines adventure in November. Incidentally, my wife's company worked on the Magic Bands and MyMagic+ so we got to beta test that last year.

As an aside, If anyone is curious about DVC or DCL, feel free to ask me.

Although on DVC, just to preface that with this: You are NOT limited to just Disney properties. Points can be used at hundreds of resorts and hotels around the world.

On topic, so far I really like the new FastPass+ system. The old system was optimal if you had a plan of attack. We would always get a FastPass to Peter Pan (the longest drat line in WDW) and then go standby at Big Thunder Mountain or go hit three short wait times before coming back to use the FP. Although now I like just having 3 guaranteed ones to use so we're not running around "attacking" the park, and just sort of float around and take our time, planning around three times.

Although I am curious - Has anyone else attended Star Wars Weekends at Hollywood Studios? I went for the first time last June and was pretty underwhelmed. I was expecting a full Star Wars blowout immersion, but it was just a handful of character meet and greets and a couple of the marches played on loop over the parks sound system. Oh, and a giant merchandise tent tucked away behind the Tower of Terror.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I went to Star Wars Weekend in 2012. I am not a huge fan of Star Wars so it was just enough Star Wars for me. I could see how it could be lacking if you're a rabid fan. I did like the storm troopers patrolling on top of the main gate. They did a little show and it was cool.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Just got back from MK, we went for opening and had lunch at Be Our Guest.. I just love that place so much. One of the best dining locations in our opinion. FP+ kiosks were still a mess in Tomorrowland (surprise) and Peter Pan somehow still manages to run over an hour wait even though the website say 45 minutes. You can tell when they have the auxiliary queue around the building and almost in the tavern restaurant they are understating the lines. Buzz was almost an hour because of FP, the stand by queue is deceiving as you can see the line is not that long, it's just that they shovel through so many more FP over stand by that it turns into nonsense. Haunted Mansion though seems to be going more efficiently now but it seems like they are running the doom mobiles more quickly.

It's slow season crowded. Weather is nice though, overcast and mild.. not too cold.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I just got this in the mail:

They're offering up to 35% off your room rate or a free Dining Plan. I notice the room rate deal runs off and on through late September, but the Dining Plan deal is only through early March.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I got the same deal in my email. Too bad they're not transferable. I'm definitely not using mine.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Braksgirl posted:

...Too bad they're not transferable...

Actually, I didn't realize this was an invite-only deal. This is the first time I've noticed a PIN on Disney promo mats, and honestly, I thought it was just a marketing gimmick to make me think I'm special. I work in marketing, so that made perfect sense.

Also, TheBigBudgetSequel, I'll add your FP+ stuff to the OP as soon as I can. Thanks for the assist.

And I updated the Avatar-land info in the OP.

On a totally unrelated note: wife & I had drinks with friends last night, and we're all now seriously considering a mutual trip to WDW the week after Thanksgiving this year. The other couple has never been, and their two boys will be 3 and 6. So I guess I finally get to put my money where my mouth is, with regard to giving advice to families with young kids. Yeesh.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Lincoln posted:

On a totally unrelated note: wife & I had drinks with friends last night, and we're all now seriously considering a mutual trip to WDW the week after Thanksgiving this year. The other couple has never been, and their two boys will be 3 and 6. So I guess I finally get to put my money where my mouth is, with regard to giving advice to families with young kids. Yeesh.

Three and six and they're going to have all the Salute To All Holidays But Mostly Christmas going on by then? Yikes, good luck.

Meanwhile, our Magic Bands arrived today. So far my favorite part is the "You probably should consult your doctor before using this" warning for people with pacemakers, since I have not seen a single notice about that until opening the box. (It doesn't directly affect anyone in my group, but honestly.) On the other hand, we experimented with making some FastPass+ reservations on the website and so far that seems to be working fine. The app is pretty neat too, but I wonder how well the older people in my group would be able to navigate it on their own.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
After talking to Braksgirl i'm now just locking down my decision on the hotel still. I have a reference question that I haven't seen asked/answered in thread. I realize the park is extremely larger than life but just how important is being right in a monorail hotel? For reference, in Vegas, I feel like staying in a hotel on the rail lines is pretty much the most important thing ever due to how dang hot and sunny it is + the fact that every hotel basically takes up a 15 block length of space.

After looking at pictures and amenities my husband and I really like the Contemporary and the restaurants in the hotel but I just want to be super confident in my decision. I've read in some of the disney for adults blogs that a lot of people love the Port Orleans hotel for adults. It looks cute, for sure. Is there a massive difference in the whole quality of stay at the deluxe hotel vs the moderate hotels? The price difference isn't an issue if it really feels worth it.

Also - are there any hotel/room options that give for a big comfy soaker tub? Every bathroom picture at every hotel i've looked at is a piddly 4.5' tub like I have at home. dangit, everyone should have an awesome bathroom on vacation, especially after a long day of zooming around.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Tigntink posted:

I realize the park is extremely larger than life but just how important is being right in a monorail hotel? For reference, in Vegas, I feel like staying in a hotel on the rail lines is pretty much the most important thing ever due to how dang hot and sunny it is + the fact that every hotel basically takes up a 15 block length of space.

It's an extra convenience some days and utterly meaningless other days. You still have to board busses to get to some of the parks. Animal Kingdom for instance isn't anywhere near any of the rail or water access. If you want to get there, your travelling experience will be near identical no matter where you're staying unless you're at the AK Lodge which is right there.

Monorails are a nicer way to get around than the buses, but they only get you to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot.

quote:

After looking at pictures and amenities my husband and I really like the Contemporary and the restaurants in the hotel but I just want to be super confident in my decision. I've read in some of the disney for adults blogs that a lot of people love the Port Orleans hotel for adults. It looks cute, for sure. Is there a massive difference in the whole quality of stay at the deluxe hotel vs the moderate hotels? The price difference isn't an issue if it really feels worth it.

I personally really like the Contemporary. I dig the aged ultra-modern getup. It is arguably the least "Disney" of all the hotels though and some people don't like the noise/gimmick of the monorail going through the building. That said Port Orleans is my favorite hotel that my family could regularly afford to go to and I think it's swell too. Compared to the Contemporary you'll be walking and waiting on busses a little more, but it also has a pretty chill atmosphere with jazz and stuff and a cozy bar for late night drinks if that's your thing.

There is a discernable difference in the quality of stay at the Deluxe level hotels over moderate, but I wouldn't call it massive so much as a "god is in the details" approach to service. The most obvious difference between your two choices is the themeing and ambiance. Ultimately I think it comes down to asking yourself which you prefer: classy ultra-modern-ish or new orleans-ish. If your answer is the former, consider if you're willing to pay a couple hundred bucks extra a night for it, and a few other perks. If it's the latter, I doubt you'll weep and moan over your loss of easy monorail access and more complimentary soap.

quote:

Also - are there any hotel/room options that give for a big comfy soaker tub? Every bathroom picture at every hotel i've looked at is a piddly 4.5' tub like I have at home. dangit, everyone should have an awesome bathroom on vacation, especially after a long day of zooming around.

Yeaaaah I'm pretty sure you can't get that without shelling out some serious dough for like a cabin or maybe a suite at the Grand Floridian. Even the super-awesome savannah view room I once got at AK Lodge had a standard tub.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Awesome, thanks. Definitely makes me a lot more confident in my choice. Definitely going to stay with the Contemporary for the ultramodern theme and because even though the monorail will only help half the time, its still going to be good for that half the time. Especially thinking about drinking around the world at Epcot and then getting back :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Access to the monorail and boat to HS was huge for us when we stayed at Boardwalk, but we're also Ok with lots of walking. The few times we had to wait for and then ride a bus made not having to ride buses really nice. What was also nice was the ability to use alternate buses; we had dinner at jiku at the AK Lodge after a day at AK and were able to take a bus back to Epcot and then walk to the hotel. Being at contemporary would presumably allow you to do the same with a bus to MK which is nice because the buses from the lodge mostly went to the parks, not other resorts.

Also, drinking around the world was something I considered until I read the report on easywdw. The prices and the general mediocrity of booze choices turned me off. There were a few good options but too many stops consisted of a foreign version of Coors.