Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

mascotte posted:

Armstrong was a real let down for me. I don't know why they gave all the villain buildup to Sam if they're just going to introduce some mystery suit wearing guy for the final showdown. It made me stop caring about what was going on completely. And because the battle wasn't that easy on hard difficulty it made me frustrated because I had to replay it a couple of times and I just wanted it to be over at that point.

Edit: Not having the final boss fight be a samurai duel was stupid.

Well, Armstrong had buildup from the lab and a few times before that and Sam was trying to find someone stronger then him to beat Armstrong./

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

mascotte posted:

Armstrong was a real let down for me. I don't know why they gave all the villain buildup to Sam if they're just going to introduce some mystery suit wearing guy for the final showdown. It made me stop caring about what was going on completely. And because the battle wasn't that easy on hard difficulty it made me frustrated because I had to replay it a couple of times and I just wanted it to be over at that point.

The "rival" character is almost never the final boss in Platinum's games. Like Jeanne and the Devil Hand. It's the same in DMC1 and 4 too now that I think about it.

dashKADE
Apr 8, 2013

O C C O Q U A N
I think the plot of every Metal Gear game is astonishingly awful but I love the games regardless :colbert:

mascotte posted:

Did you just say that you got mad because Hard mode was Hard?

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

NikkolasKing posted:

You've already said you don't think any of the MGS games were good in terms of story so I don't expect you'd find it satisfying. But I love MGS and I loved shooting Liquid down in the HIND only to have him pop back up like nothing happened. I loved how he was inside REX when it exploded and walked it off while merely being besides REX when it blew knocked out Snake. I loved knocking him off the back of REX only for him to pop back up driving a car and saying "not yet Snake! It's not over yet!" And then to top it all off he survives a car crash and is about to shoot you in the head when FoxDie kicks in.

It was awesome.

I honestly don't see how you can have a better underdog story than defeating the guy who was literally created to be better than you in every way.

To be honest, I found it pretty stupid that Liquid can survive a hind crash and several stingers to chest but still whine about being an inferior creation. Cam Clarke's voice acting really saved Liquid.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

NikkolasKing posted:

In a straight up fight, would you choose the guy who can be inside an exploding mech and be pretty much unharmed, or the guy who was KO'ed from merely being near that exploding mech? Or the one that can't survive a 40 foot fall and the one who can?

You're right of course that, in the end, Solid Snake was the better soldier, and that's the point of the game. Thanks to genetics, Liquid is the loving Terminator but he just never had the willpower of Solid Snake. But obviously the people who created them to begin with didn't care about such things or else why try to harvest the best genes from the best soldier and place them all in one person? I doubt a mad scientist cares about indefinable, abstract and uncontrollable factors like "Heart."

I dunno, it's just something I like about the trilogy. Naked and Solid Snake are just dudes in a world of psychics and cyborgs and yet they come out on top due to their sheer grit.

You're romanticizing the 'weakness' of Naked Snake and Solid Snake. They're just as much "Terminators" as any of the bosses, they're 'weak' primarily because cutscenes demand that they be vulnerable enough for the sake of drama, and game mechanics exist to present a varying level of challenges for players to experience. They carry arsenals for an entire squad on their person, survive an amazing amount of bullshit in all of their respective games, and are only ever removed as threats because the story says now its time for them to sit around while the villains monologue about whatever garbage they're trying to preach. I mean, Naked Snake alone recovers from injuries within, say, a week, in order to go back to Russia to kill the Boss. Injuries that would have put anyone else out of the game for over a month at least, and that's being generous given that the fall from the bridge should have KILLED HIM. Apparently radiation sickness isn't even a thing for him to worry about considering he was present for a nuclear blast. Within minutes of returning to Russia, a horse stomps on his hand, not a problem.

Naked and Solid Snake are 'normal' only compared to, say, crazy bosses, but they're basically superhumans themselves.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Ever since the first MGS I've figured that the "soldier genes" are how people inside the game world interpret the condition of being a video game hero, the ability to choose Continue when you die. I mean I assumed the thing with Liquid coming back after injuries that would kill any human being over and over was sort of a joke; you (as Snake) and him are both clones of the same person, so he has Video Game Guy genes and can't really be killed unless the plot demands it.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I'm just surprised no one ever brought up the fact that Johnny is the only Genome Soldier still alive.

Major INTERSpess
Apr 18, 2013

Call Apogee
Say Aardwolf

randombattle posted:

I'm just surprised no one ever brought up the fact that Johnny is the only Genome Soldier still alive.

He isn't, the Genome soldiers who took part in the rebellion on SMI were detained at Pease AFB in New Hampshire for treason after the incident was resolved. He is the only one that managed to evade arrest, however.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

"Evade" is a strong word for "being left in disgust as he shits himself over and over while sobbing".

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

"Evade" is a strong word for "being left in disgust as he shits himself over and over while sobbing".

Johnny has an IQ over 180 and you notice how he stops crapping his pants when he has to save Meryl. Clearly it was the longest con to make people underestimate him.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

randombattle posted:

Johnny has an IQ over 180 and you notice how he stops crapping his pants when he has to save Meryl. Clearly it was the longest con to make people underestimate him.

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was making people believe he didn't exist...

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!

randombattle posted:

Johnny Sasaki, AKA Revolver Ocelot Mk. II

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

randombattle posted:

I thought it was because the rations they ate weren't very good since normally people with nanomachines can handle it. Johnny didn't have nanomachines so the food gave him the shits.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was making people believe he didn't exist...couldn't hold his poo poo.

FTFY.

Do we have a release date for Phantom Pain? I've preordered Ground Zeroes but I didn't think we had a release date for PP.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

FTFY.

Do we have a release date for Phantom Pain? I've preordered Ground Zeroes but I didn't think we had a release date for PP.

Not yet, probably not for another year but its anyone's guess right now.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

FTFY.

At a guess, I imagine the "Holiday" sales period of 2014 at the earliest.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I'm pretty sure they've said "2015" but other than that, nothing

dashKADE
Apr 8, 2013

O C C O Q U A N
Didn't Kojima explain that the reasoning behind releasing Ground Zeroes was because the complete Phantom Pain was going to take a long time and he wanted to release something to hold fans over? Regardless of the more obvious reasons for a double release, it still points to TPP not releasing for quite a while. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it didn't show up till the end of 2015.

mascotte
Mar 21, 2013

Ling-Ling here to destroy all! And give children seizure!

dashKADE posted:

I think the plot of every Metal Gear game is astonishingly awful but I love the games regardless :colbert:

Did you just say that you got mad because Hard mode was Hard?

In a way, yes. I didn't have a problem with the difficulty before that because I was enjoying the game. When Armstrong showed up though I lost all interest and I wanted the game to be over so I got frustrated when I had to fight him a couple of times. So the problem wasn't really the difficulty, it was the boss.

dashKADE posted:

Didn't Kojima explain that the reasoning behind releasing Ground Zeroes was because the complete Phantom Pain was going to take a long time and he wanted to release something to hold fans over? Regardless of the more obvious reasons for a double release, it still points to TPP not releasing for quite a while. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it didn't show up till the end of 2015.
It was that and also Kojima thinks that TPP would just overwhelm us with it's scope so he's giving us a taste with Ground Zeroes first.

mascotte fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 26, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This Johnny talk made me remember that when Johnny's face was finally revealed they did it in a really dramatic way as if he was gonna be the next Snake or something. Then they made a bunch of prequels, and a sequel where the only returning cast members were Raiden and Sunny.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
Turns out Johnny is essentially a 1/4 clone of Big Boss, while the rest of the dna comprised of random sperm doner samples.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

mascotte posted:

It was that and also Kojima thinks that TPP would just overwhelm us with it's scope so he's giving us a taste with Ground Zeroes first.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's also going to be a testing grounds, see what resonates with players and what they don't like, etc.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Comic posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's also going to be a testing grounds, see what resonates with players and what they don't like, etc.

Kojima in March 2013 about development costs - "There's a different way of tackling this problem," he said, "something similar to a TV series, where you can use pilot episodes to test the waters before you jump completely into the project. It can be distributed via download channels, so the player can try it out before production continues. Something like that wouldn't take that long to create, maybe a year, and if it's successful, you can continue."

So be prepared for ZOE3 except you get two missions and then you have to wait two years to play the rest sorry it got canned because the Metacritic was 2 points off. I'd rather have smaller teams reuse tech and make something like Blood Dragon and Gunslinger and those UbiArt games.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

This Johnny talk made me remember that when Johnny's face was finally revealed they did it in a really dramatic way as if he was gonna be the next Snake or something. Then they made a bunch of prequels, and a sequel where the only returning cast members were Raiden and Sunny.

Ground Zeroes exceeds everyone's expectations. Anticipation for The Phantom Pain in sky high, and when it finally releases, players are granted with the familiar lines: "This is Snake. Colonel, can you hear me?"

They're unusually high pitched and uncertain-sounding, and Snake's sneaking suit appears to have a rather large patch.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
I don't get Kojima's whole "getting us prepared" thing. He can't honestly believe that our minds can't wrap around an open world game.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Friendly Factory posted:

I don't get Kojima's whole "getting us prepared" thing. He can't honestly believe that our minds can't wrap around an open world game.

You are talking about Hideo Kojima.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Friendly Factory posted:

He's "getting us prepared" to pay for two games because we know we're going to and we can't do anything it.

Major INTERSpess
Apr 18, 2013

Call Apogee
Say Aardwolf

Aurain posted:

He's "getting us prepared" to pay for two games because we know we're going to and we can't do anything it.

To be frank, I don't mind paying $20 for two Metal Gear games at release. I pay $60 for (insert AA+ title) on release anyway.

I think it's more of him getting us ready for open world getting caught anywhere by guards with ever changing patrol paths, and slow motion encounters when you do ultimately get spotted.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Friendly Factory posted:

Keep in mind video game fans are not fans of change. I think it's more an attempt to prevent 'this isn't a metal gear game at all wtf this is bullshit 0/5' as it eases into new game systems and styles.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Any word on how this is going to run on a PS3? I have no reason to get a PS4 for now. Are they going to release a demo for it or anything?

mascotte posted:

In a way, yes. I didn't have a problem with the difficulty before that because I was enjoying the game. When Armstrong showed up though I lost all interest and I wanted the game to be over so I got frustrated when I had to fight him a couple of times. So the problem wasn't really the difficulty, it was the boss.
I'm surprised you didn't enjoy it. I think Armstrong is the most satisfying final boss in any video game ever. He's ridiculously over powered and can kill you in two or three hits. His lava attacks have ridiculous range. Even in cutscenes he seems impossible to take down. But once you figure out his patterns and how he works, and the lyrics for "Has to be this Way" kicks in, he is hands down the most rewarding fight in the game.

Ausmund fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 26, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Ausmund posted:

Any word on how this is going to run on a PS3? I have no reason to get a PS4 for now. Are they going to release a demo for it or anything?

We know that it's going to run at 30 fps on current-gen consoles, and 60 fps on next-gen consoles.

Ground Zeroes pretty much is a large demo for The Phantom Pain, but released much earlier. There were some launch games for the PS4 that let you upgrade the PS3 version for $10, but that offer only applied for a few months, and that was probably just so the games would sell well on launch day rather than having everyone wait until the new consoles launched.

I have a feeling that MGSV is going to feel pretty held back on the last-gen consoles, so I'd recommend holding out until The Phantom Pain comes out, and getting a PS4 around then for it. I'd also guess that it's coming out in early 2015, but late 2014 is a possibility.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Early reports say that last-gen versions run at 30fps-ish, meaning it can get a tiny bit choppy and texture resolution isn't great (though to be fair, I'm sure they're comparing those to the PS4/Xbone versions where it's a steady 60fps and textures are really sharp) and as far as I know, there hasn't been a word about a demo.

According to Kojima, the main point of GZ is exactly as Comic put it above; Kojima said both GZ and TPP will have a whole bunch of new mechanics and stuff MGS veterans might have a tough time getting used to so GZ is literally a taste of what's to come and an introduction to the new mechanics and gameplay to get players used to them before TPP comes out.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I know Ground Zeroes is like a pre-game dlc to Phantom Pain but I was wondering if they were going to release any sort of free demo for it pre-release on PSN like they do for some games, just so everyone could get an idea on how it runs.

dashKADE
Apr 8, 2013

O C C O Q U A N

Ausmund posted:

I know Ground Zeroes is like a pre-game dlc to Phantom Pain but I was wondering if they were going to release any sort of free demo for it pre-release on PSN like they do for some games, just so everyone could get an idea on how it runs.

Considering how short the game is going to be in the first place, as well as how cheap it will be (on PS3 anyway), I doubt a demo will appear.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything

dashKADE posted:

Considering how short the game is going to be in the first place, as well as how cheap it will be (on PS3 anyway), I doubt a demo will appear.

Is there a confirmation on how short "short" will be?

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Ironsolid posted:

Is there a confirmation on how short "short" will be?

according to the leaked trophy info there will be two missions and six side missions

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
I expect speedruns to be near 15-30 minutes for all of GZ in like 2-3 weeks time. Assuming something like Peace Walker like weapons can be used for non-lethal runs.

I'm easily going to put 20 hours into it, so $40 is fine by me.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I just hope GZ won't be a complete cocktease: if it gives me the same feel as playing one episode of The Wolf Among Us or Walking Dead, I will absolutely kill myself. I've been blueballing for the next episode of Wolf Among Us like crazy and it's only been a couple of months. Year and a half for Phantom Pain after would be painful.

MGS2 though is a game I've always wanted to like but I've never could. Big Shell is the most boring place in the world and while the story has it's interesting and/or fun moments, presentation of it is messy and a bit tiring - i.e. codec - plus a lot of the characters are just pretty bad. Rose can go die in a fire. Solidus is awesome though.

I found MGR to have the best plot of all the games in the series: the writing is so much better and way more natural than what Kojima ever did, plus the self-awareness was kust a lot of fun.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, it is legitimately better in narrative and dialogue than the others. I like that REVENGEANCE gave Raiden a bit of closure and stuck closer to the themes of memes and child soldiers than MGS2. You can argue that the whole "Jack is back :unsmigghh:" thing was really goofy, and it was, but it was an infinitely better reveal of his inner character and conflict than "Your room was empty, Jack :qq:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

...MGS2 Is the most self-aware game ever because it is literally saying gently caress you to the person playing it. It took everyone's expectations and turned them on their head. I don't see how MGR is more self-aware. It has its silly moments but so does every MG game. Just because Armstrong punts Raiden while giving a villainous monologue doesn't make him any better than the villains who monologued in the original. In fact, I got the distinct impression they were basing Armstrong somewhat off Solidus.

I also don't agree that glorifying psychopathy as the cure for PTSD is better writing. Solid Snake retiring to Alaska to drink himself to death in solitude is a tad more realistic and less horrible don't you think?

• Locked thread