Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

extra stout posted:

edit

gently caress I just now read about the CEO of Upper Deck drinking himself to death and though it happened this week, not a year ago.

I didn't know it until I read your post. Googling around a bit pointed to a book from 1995 called Card Sharks by Pete Williams. The description of it reads, "How Upper Deck turned a child's hobby into a high-stakes, billion-dollar business."

Apparently Richard McWilliams, the now dead CEO of Upper Deck, doesn't come out looking very good in it.

The few reviews at Amazon for the book are good. Anyone here read it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Anton Chigurh posted:

I didn't know it until I read your post. Googling around a bit pointed to a book from 1995 called Card Sharks by Pete Williams. The description of it reads, "How Upper Deck turned a child's hobby into a high-stakes, billion-dollar business."

Apparently Richard McWilliams, the now dead CEO of Upper Deck, doesn't come out looking very good in it.

I read it, it's a really good book. I think it cost me like $6 shipped, definitely worth picking up.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Anton Chigurh posted:

I read it a few years back. It's definitely worth the read to someone interested in the hobby.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think McWilliams was the guy who got caught shredding counterfeit Yu-Gi-Oh cards in his office, which was part of the lawsuit by the Japanese company that makes them.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Sweet mail day, did a TTM for Jim Snyder because I just love the portrait of him on this card.
Sent 1 card and a short note, got back 4 signed cards. Dudes a beast.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I wanted to put together something that would bridge baseball from it's early days to the modern era and not cost a pile. (for me) and I opt'd to go after a card of every player that hit four home runs in a game. I have most of them (Still need a Bobby Lowe and a Lou Gehrig) but this is one of my faves.

I started collecting in 1987 and I got this at one of the rare card shows that show'd up in my hometown (I annoyed the poo poo out of my dad to go). I paid ten bucks. I was pretty sure it was mint and I was going to be very wealthy. I got it graded for giggles even in its weak condition if only because I spent a lot of time staring at it as a kid.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
On a whim, I picked up 2 packs of MLB Chipz. These are pretty fun - but are they going to make another series past this year?

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Red posted:

On a whim, I picked up 2 packs of MLB Chipz. These are pretty fun - but are they going to make another series past this year?

Assuming you mean a 2014 release, Yes they are.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

theacox posted:

Assuming you mean a 2014 release, Yes they are.

Awesome - I have one random George Brett Topps "coin" from '87. I always thought the concept of a baseball pog coin or chip was pretty neat.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
If anyone wants to open the first product of 2014 as soon as possible, Target and Wal-Mart have started to sell 2014 Topps Series 1 packs and blasters.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Apparently 2014 Series 1 retail is live some places, according to some forums and ebay auctions. Also Panini Elite Extra Edition baseball is available in retail form somewhere? Can anyone confirm? This is news to me.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

theacox posted:

Apparently 2014 Series 1 retail is live some places, according to some forums and ebay auctions. Also Panini Elite Extra Edition baseball is available in retail form somewhere? Can anyone confirm? This is news to me.

I saw EEE at Target today. Series 1 should be coming out tomorrow here.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Hey guys. Just wanted to point out this horseshit ebay seller..

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=301073592810&pt=US_Baseball&hash=item46196271ea&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_ssn=tobaccoroadcards&_sop=3

Didn't want to have anyone that wasn't on top of their game getting scammed....

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

theacox posted:

Hey guys. Just wanted to point out this horseshit ebay seller..

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=301073592810&pt=US_Baseball&hash=item46196271ea&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_ssn=tobaccoroadcards&_sop=3

Didn't want to have anyone that wasn't on top of their game getting scammed....

I don't get it. What's the scam, homemade grading?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

AsInHowe posted:

The vast majority of listings are absolute bullshit. There is no 1918 wheat penny Babe Ruth rookie, much less a 1919 wheat penny Babe Ruth rookie. None of the jersey cards have any branding on them. And though I've been out of the card collecting business for some time, I've never heard of a printing plate being up for sale.

Wow. The wheat penny listings go on and on and people are falling for them.

Oh, this is good. An unbranded Michael Jordan baseball rookie. With a sketchy 1986 Topps design.

EDIT: And a ripoff of 1986 Donruss, too..

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 26, 2014

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Haha a Lou Gehrig jersey card, yeah right. From what, the fake one on Pawn Stars?

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

AsInHowe posted:

I haven't looked at every item he has for sale, but every one I've taken the time to look at seems to have something wrong with it.

edit: My new favorite example.

theacox fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 26, 2014

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
I've got a feeling Puig is going to be forged a lot since his signature is so simplistic and deliberate, it looks like a small child's first cursive written name.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Those Gehrig and Mantle jersey 'cards' usually sell for like $20. They were these oversized unbranded cards you used to be able to get 2 free per 20 pack box.

I'm going to start marking every card I put on Ebay $500, god drat.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
What's really amazing is the guy's feedback rating.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
God, what a shyster. As if putting a card in a holder with a sticker that says "Grade 10" or "Certified Authentic" on it makes it legitimate.

Where is he even getting some of those cards like the Michael Jordans? Printing them himself?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
From the Dmitri Young collection, I assume.

(At least they're legit cards, I guess.)

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Are the "Lou Gehrig" and "Mickey Mantle" cards pasted over something? The jersey pieces are pretty clearly from modern era fabric.

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack
God, that guy really pisses me off. I wish there were a way non-sellers could report him, but I don't think he's technically breaking any rules. Seems he covers his bases with the item descriptions.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

The Machinima Man posted:

God, that guy really pisses me off. I wish there were a way non-sellers could report him, but I don't think he's technically breaking any rules. Seems he covers his bases with the item descriptions.

I guess you could try to track down the copyright holder of the images he is using and see if they might want to start levying fees for non-licensed use of their material.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I have no idea how the licensing works or who makes the best baseball jerseys, any tips? I'd like the least expensive but genuine and genuine looking Mantle or Gehrig jersey that I can find. Maybe one of the old away game jerseys that looked more like a grey cotton shirt than a modern jersey. Any tips on where to buy, how to avoid fakes, how they fit and what to pay would be appreciated.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Well, for absolute top-of-the-line stuff Mitchell and Ness has period-perfect jerseys like that for $250.

The problem with retired players is they are harder and more expensive to license. Another common problem you run into with Yankees jerseys is companies putting names on them.

psychosockmonkee
Jan 31, 2010

I have to return some video tapes
So I decided after 10 years of being a member of eBay I would try selling something for once. Why would I expect that to go smoothly? I would love to get some feedback on how I handled this.

So I sold my 2013 Bowman Chrome Carlos Correa Blue Refractor Auto 76/150. I was selling at $274.99, the same sold price of the last 2 sales on this card ungraded. I accepted the best offer price of $250.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=191064902748

Buyer:
I received this card in the mail today and it is by far in the worst shape of any card that I have received on eBay. I suppose I should have asked questions before bidding, but your lack of explanation of condition of the card was incomprehensible.

Me:
I'm sorry you feel that way. Unless it was stomped on during shipping, I don't understand at all what your complaint could be. The card is almost flawless. The pictures I posted prove that. It's in better shape than 90% of the cards I've bought on ebay. I didn't put anything about the condition of the card because the photos speak for themselves. I packaged it better than anything I've ever received myself. I just can't understand what you were expecting. If it was a graded 10 card it would've been a much higher price. Plus I sold it to you for $25 less than the last 2 sold for and gave free shipping.

Buyer:
Imperfections on refractors are very easy to hide in pictures by changing the angle. I bought another blue Correa last week that is currently at BGS. This card has vertical lines that happen in production, a dimple in the bottom left corner and some kind of dent/ding/something that somewhat appears evident in your pictures. I have bought hundreds of cards on eBay and won hundreds in razzes and this is easily the worst condition of any card received. I received a Jay Bruce with a bent corner in better condition than this. Someone shipped me a purple /10 chrome in a top loader with no sleeve and it arrived in better shape. The condition of this card is a shame and you should have disclosed. You didn't seem to want to make it right from your first reply, so thanks for the card.

Me:
There is no change in angle...it was done on a scanner...which lays completely flat and picks up pretty much everything....that's why I used a scanner, so that no detail was left out of the picture. I think your expectations are off base and I am sorry your not happy with the purchase, but I did not misrepresent this card in any way.

So...I guess my first sale on eBay will also be my last. This is exactly the kind of crap that was keeping me from even trying to sell on there.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

psychosockmonkee posted:

So I decided after 10 years of being a member of eBay I would try selling something for once. Why would I expect that to go smoothly? I would love to get some feedback on how I handled this.

So I sold my 2013 Bowman Chrome Carlos Correa Blue Refractor Auto 76/150. I was selling at $274.99, the same sold price of the last 2 sales on this card ungraded. I accepted the best offer price of $250.

Buyer:
I received this card in the mail today and it is by far in the worst shape of any card that I have received on eBay. I suppose I should have asked questions before bidding, but your lack of explanation of condition of the card was incomprehensible.

Me:
I'm sorry you feel that way. Unless it was stomped on during shipping, I don't understand at all what your complaint could be. The card is almost flawless. The pictures I posted prove that. It's in better shape than 90% of the cards I've bought on ebay. I didn't put anything about the condition of the card because the photos speak for themselves. I packaged it better than anything I've ever received myself. I just can't understand what you were expecting. If it was a graded 10 card it would've been a much higher price. Plus I sold it to you for $25 less than the last 2 sold for and gave free shipping.

Buyer:
Imperfections on refractors are very easy to hide in pictures by changing the angle. I bought another blue Correa last week that is currently at BGS. This card has vertical lines that happen in production, a dimple in the bottom left corner and some kind of dent/ding/something that somewhat appears evident in your pictures. I have bought hundreds of cards on eBay and won hundreds in razzes and this is easily the worst condition of any card received. I received a Jay Bruce with a bent corner in better condition than this. Someone shipped me a purple /10 chrome in a top loader with no sleeve and it arrived in better shape. The condition of this card is a shame and you should have disclosed. You didn't seem to want to make it right from your first reply, so thanks for the card.

Me:
There is no change in angle...it was done on a scanner...which lays completely flat and picks up pretty much everything....that's why I used a scanner, so that no detail was left out of the picture. I think your expectations are off base and I am sorry your not happy with the purchase, but I did not misrepresent this card in any way.

So...I guess my first sale on eBay will also be my last. This is exactly the kind of crap that was keeping me from even trying to sell on there.

Absolutely offer to refund him and have him send the card back to you. If he won't return the card, it's a huge red flag, especially if he asks for a partial refund. You risk that he is a super rear end in a top hat and will damage the card just to be a douche, but you are in the position right now to get your card back and sell it again. At this point, as an ebay seller, you can easily be hosed. It's really a giant problem with cards on ebay right now.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

psychosockmonkee posted:

Buyer:

Me:

Buyer:

Me:

First off, you should demand scans from him of the card. Since the card is serial numbered, it would be very easy to see if there is any damage.

Second, if he complains in any way towards eBay, or demands his money back plus the card or something, eBay might overrule his complaints and put him on a watchlist. I've seen lots of buyers try to bully inexperienced sellers around like this.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

AsInHowe posted:

demands his money back plus the card or something

Don't do this.

edit:

In case you aren't aware, ebay is not on your side as a seller any more. That's why I gave you the above advise.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

theacox posted:

Don't do this.

A partial refund? I had a guy complain that something was damaged irreparably, and wanted his money back without sending the card back. eBay ended up banning the guy.

Also, if the buyer is demanding a refund, make sure you receive the card before you send him the refund. He could send you a bubblemailer and an empty toploader or something.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

AsInHowe posted:

A partial refund? I had a guy complain that something was damaged irreparably, and wanted his money back without sending the card back. eBay ended up banning the guy.

Also, if the buyer is demanding a refund, make sure you receive the card before you send him the refund. He could send you a bubblemailer and an empty toploader or something.

Partial refund is a common ebay scam on high end cards.

edit:

AsInHowe, I think we're on the same page here.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

theacox posted:

Don't do this.

edit:

In case you aren't aware, ebay is not on your side as a seller any more. That's why I gave you the above advise.
Yeah this is true, if a buyer claims 'item not as described' now in a dispute, you as a seller are pretty much screwed. My fiancee got hit this way on a purse she sold on eBay, where the person claimed that the 'item was not as described' and ended up not only getting back her money, but kept the purse and never had to return it.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
psycosockmonkee please let us know what happens with this as I am genuinely curious as to what happens with all shady ebay card things.

psychosockmonkee
Jan 31, 2010

I have to return some video tapes
I appreciate the input and I will keep you guys up to date if anything changes. He replied to me one additional time and at this point, however unwise it may seem, I'm going to just ignore him. He has made no indication that he will dispute this sale through eBay, and I am so annoyed at this point that I don't want to deal with him any further. Stupid and stubborn as it may be, I can go another 10 years without selling on eBay.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

psychosockmonkee posted:

I received a Jay Bruce with a bent corner in better condition than this. Someone shipped me a purple /10 chrome in a top loader with no sleeve and it arrived in better shape.

It sucks when people suck, but in your honor the next time I get a poorly made hoagie I'm going to quote this verbatim to the kid at the shop who sold it to me.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's not about baseball cards, it's about magic cards, but I have a story to tell about how eBay handles high end cards and condition disputes. I was the buyer in this case, and I just spent $500 on a card that turned out to be counterfeit. Upon receipt I sent the following message to the sender:

quote:

Dear wagatagaboo713,

1. The item in question doesn't match scan.
2. The item is counterfeit.

and then immediately opened a dispute because this auction was obviously a scam. They ask for additional information on these types of claims, so here is the giant wall of text I provided them (Note SA is changing all the Imageshack links to something else for some reason, I'm not going to take the time to fix this. If you look at the pictures, the fake card was literally printed with an inkjet and pasted on a real card (they used a fake picture for the auction). They didn't make any attempt to hide the fact it was a sticker.

quote:

(Note, all images linked are 600dpi, Imageshack's zoom-in/fullsize
feature will give a lot more details).

Here is a link to the item in question:
http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/i/ancestrale.jpg/

There are some pretty obvious tell-tale signs that the item is
counterfeit. For comparison, I uploaded a scan with two real cards
from the same set, i.e. they share many similarities:
http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/i/powerscan.jpg/

Here are the things to note, that even someone completely unfamiliar
with magic cards can observe:

1. Magic cards are printed with a printing process that, upon VERY
close inspection, produces circular patterns. This is almost
impossible to reproduce without professional equipment -- top of the
line business and consumer level inkjets and laser printers cannot do
it. The fake card does not have the tell-tale circles.

From where the raindrop symbol is on the upper right corner:
http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/i/manasymbol.png/

The line in the center of the card where it says "Instant":
http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/i/compasionhexagons.png/

On that same line, there is a purple "splotch" on all three cards that
is part of the background image towards the far right of the card:
http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/i/purplesplotch.png/

2. The crease. Magic cards are basically two pieces of cardboard
with a thin plastic layer between them. They crease in a very
specific way because of their unique physical construction. Compare
the crease on the center of the ancestral, with the crease on the
upper right hand of the timewalk. The timewalk has the tell-tale
magic-card crease. The ancestral crease actually "bubbles up",
similar to how you sometimes get air bubbles under stickers.

There are a ton more things that make this obviously fake when you
have a real card to compare with in real life (bendability, fails the
"light test" i.e. you can actually see the blue plastic layer in a
real card when you put it in front of a very bright light, the texture
is wrong, the "crease" in the fake card actually is a bump, not a teal
like in a real card, etc.) but the above two are the most obvious in a
scan.

I also sent a 2nd e-mail where I found the source of the scan they used in the auction.

My claim was denied!

I immediately called eBay about this, and they started discussing about how their "does not match the description" claim process works. I was fairly confused, and we both quickly realized that they completely missed the word "counterfeit" in both those e-mails and were treating this as your standard "does not match the description" claim.

When eBay botches the claims process this badly you can then enter into a super-special claims dispute process that is basically between eBay and you personally -- since the seller officially won the dispute he's out of the picture.

To make a long story short, I had to have a dealer send in a statement corroborating that the item was fake; and then wait for eBay's internal dispute process to process the special claim. It took a long time to get my money back.

The thing I'm most pissed off about this though is the guy who sent me the fake card, for all intents and purposes, got away with it.

EDIT (tl;dr): If you list an item with where the scan shows this but get a card that looks like this; unless the item is literally counterfeit there is a good chance eBay will determine that the two items are similar enough in condition to deny your claim.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 17, 2014

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

psychosockmonkee posted:

Buyer:

Me:

Buyer:

Me:

This kind of thing has been happening more and more to me on ebay lately. I've had 4 cases in the last month where the buyer bought a card on a best offer, it shipped quickly, and upon reciept they insisted the card was "not as described". I simply asked for proof of the damages via a scan, and told them I would gladly issue a refund when the proof is shown and the card has been returned to me. None of the 4 complied, and 2 of them got my money AND the card.

The problem is that ebay is SO tilted towards the buyer anymore that it allows for more scams than ever. In an effort to protect the buyer, ebay has opened the door to a new wave of scam artists - as a seller, I can't even leave negative or neutral feedback for a buyer, even in cases where they don't pay! Buyers can use feedback or "opening a case" as extortion to get a lower price or a free card.

5 years ago I would have told you to not let this one bad experience influence you, but with the way ebay has changed the system it probably SHOULD encourage you to stay away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Ebay is just passing the buck and not helping but under the old system legitimate complaints against lovely sellers would just get you negative feedback for daring to complain. It was really annoying to see all the listings with "I leave positive feedback after you leave it for me" and "DO NOT leave negative feedback, contact me first or I will leave YOU negative feedback"

• Locked thread