Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Might and Magic X: Legacy is a turn-based, first-person computer RPG that reboots the Might and Magic series after a nearly twelve year long hiatus.

Although it is the tenth game in the series, it is not necessary to have any knowledge of the other M&M games to jump in. The campaign shares a backstory with Ubisoft's Heroes V/VI and Dark Messiah, though references and callbacks to New World Computing's older M&M games are mixed in as well.

Steam Store Page - Website - Metacritic - Wot I Think

:siren: This title uses Ubisoft's Uplay DRM. :siren:
:siren: You may encounter performance problems, especially in the 32-bit version. Some users have been helped by setting AA/shadows to 'low' and maxing out the other settings. :siren:
:siren: 6/26/14: Ubi announces that no further updates are planned to this game. :siren:
:siren: 4/16/14: Now available for Mac! :siren:
:siren: 3/17/14: First DLC released, along with the version 1.5 patch. :siren:
:siren: 2/19/14: New patch! See here for patch notes. :siren:

Gameplay

You control a party of four adventurers, known in-game as "Raiders," as they roam around the Agyn Peninsula in grid-based fashion. Moving around on the grid or taking certain actions will advance the clock by a certain number of minutes, otherwise time stands still. Combat, too, is turn-based: during the player's turn, each of your characters can take a swing at a nearby opponent, fire a bow, cast a spell, activate a skill or use an item such as a potion. Once each player character has taken an action, all nearby opponents will have a chance to attack or move one square. In lieu of attacking, the player may move during combat by a square per turn, but only if no opponents are in your face. If you're engaged in melee, it's usually a fight to the death!

Tried and true strategies from MM6-8 such as "run backwards and hold A" or "fly around spamming Meteor Shower" aren't the bread and butter of combat anymore, as many encounters require you to take advantage of the strengths and weaknesses of your party members. Even the most basic spells and abilities have useful effects like pushbacks, snares and taunts, opening up many tactical options from the get-go.

Like in most RPGs, cutting down enemies and completing quests will provide the party with gold, gear and level-ups. You are free to guide the development of your party as you choose by assigning stat and skill points. Investing a skill unlocks training to "Expert," "Master," or "Grandmaster" status, which provides a bonus to stats and unlocks powerful new spells, gear and abilities. Classes are limited in how far they can progress in a skill, and it's wise to play to the strengths of each party member.

Player characters can be Humans, Elves, Dwarves or Orcs, and each race has its own strengths and weaknesses as well as three unique character classes: a warrior, a spellcaster, and a hybrid proficient in both might and magic. Since there are twelve possible classes and only four slots in your party, it might take multiple playthroughs to fully experience each style of play. The game is split up into two difficulties: "Adventurer" (hard) and "Warrior" (harder). Warrior mode is difficult, but winnable with a carefully built party. Adventurer is still challenging, but once you get the basic mechanics of the game figured out your team will grow quite strong if you have at least a vague plan in developing them.

Races & Classes

Humans have a natural resistance to air and start the game with additional skill points.
  • The Mercenary is the human "Might" class, boasting high defensive capabilities and the ability to master any melee weapon. However, the Mercenary is the only non-caster lacking access to a Grandmaster weapon skill. Upon promotion, the Merc becomes a Windsword, gaining a bonus to opening strikes and a special movement ability.
  • The Crusader is a hybrid class that is skilled in both close combat and Light magic. The combination of shields and heavy armor grants incredible durability for a class with GM in a magic shcool. Promotion to Paladin unlocks a pair of spells that heal the party and enhance their damage output, respectively.
  • The Freemage is the magic class with the largest selection of spells in the game, but also the most limited access to weapons and armor. They are the only class that can use Dark magic, and they have access to Grandmaster Air and Primordial magic as well. Once promoted to Archmage, they gain the ability to freeze time.
Elves have a natural resistance to Earth and have a bonus to Dodge.
  • The Blade Dancer is a warrior class that can put out arguably the highest damage output in the game while dual-wielding swords or daggers. They can reach Grandmaster in Dodge, but this is their primary defensive option: eschew most armor skills in favor of avoiding attacks entirely. Once they are promoted to Blademaster, they gain extra attacks on kill and gain the option to attack all nearby enemies.
  • The Ranger is a hybrid class that boasts the most effective archery talents in the game, hits hard with daggers and can use both Air and Earth magic with some proficiency. Promotion to Warden enables this class to launch a full-damage hail of arrows against all enemies in range.
  • The Druid is a magic class that can reach Grandmaster in Water, Earth and Prime, and can train Mysticism to the highest level. Promotion to High Druid enables an area of effect calm skill as well as Nurture, a very effective regeneration ability. Although limited in hand to hand combat, the Druid is one of the game's most effective healers with Nurture and GM Earth magic.
Dwarves have a natural resistance to Fire and have a bonus to HP.
  • The Dwarven Defender is a might class that sports some of the heaviest armor in the game in addition to the most advanced aggro-management skills. His incredible defense is balanced out by a middling offensive output, though he can still reach GM in axe or mace. Promotion to Shield Guard unlocks a special blocking ability.
  • The Scout is a hybrid that can wield axes and crossbows to the highest level of proficiency. Scouts have decent defensive capabilities and can use Fire and Light magic up to Master level. Promotion to Pathfinder increases crossbow range and unlocks an immobilizing shot.
  • The Rune Priest is a magic class that can Grandmaster in Fire, Earth and Light, and can handle itself reasonably well in melee with a mace or spear. Promotion to Runelord grants the ability to explode things in an area of effect around a tile.
Orcs have a natural resistance to status effects and have a bonus to critical damage.
  • The Barbarian is a warrior class that can do heavy damage with maces, spears or two-handers. This class cannot learn magic, and has only limited access to defensive skills beyond raising his health via Endurance (which he can Grandmaster). Promotion to Warmonger enables this class to put out more damage as his health sinks lower.
  • The Hunter is a hybrid that can reach Grandmaster Spear or Mastery in daggers and maces, and can become proficient in Air magic. GM Endurance, Dodge and Arcane Discipline give good opportunities for survivability. Promoting the Hunter to a Marauder allows this class to lay traps, and to send out a harpoon to pull unsuspecting enemies into melee range. Get over here!
  • The Shaman is a magic class that can Grandmaster in Water, Earth and Air, and can access Mastery in spears, maces and two-handed maces. Promotion to Bloodcaller allows them to regain mana after losing health.
======

Early Game Tips
  • Avoid specializing in bow/crossbow skills too heavily early on. Most fighting happens up-close and your Scouts and Rangers can be very formidable in melee. It's nice to have at least a point in them, though.
  • If your melee characters are missing a lot, put more points into their primary weapon skills.
  • Have one character reach Expert in Primordial magic with their first few level ups to unlock the Identify spell. Otherwise you will be paying out the rear end to identify stuff in the beginning.
  • Regeneration (Earth) and Celestial Armor (Light) can drastically improve a party's survivability when starting out.
  • If you have a freemage, raise Dark to at least Expert so that you can take advantage of Sleep and Purge. It's worth it.
  • Other spells worth learning: Burning Determination (Fire Expert), Purge (Dark Expert), Water Flows Freely (Water Expert), Strength of the Earth (Earth Expert), Spirit Beacon (Prime Expert)
  • Pumping Spirit for a spellcaster's first few levels will make them much more effective, as mana is a big limitation at first. Once you are comfortable with your mana pool, work on your casters' Magic stats as well.
  • Gold is tight at first, but you will be flush later on. Spend wisely, but don't worry about saving up for the endgame.
  • If you're in an area where the enemies wipe the floor with you, you might have wandered there at a too-low level. Go exploring!
General Tips & Non-Obvious Game Mechanics
  • Many buildings have multiple NPCs to talk to besides the one you meet when walking in. If so, there will be more than one portrait at the top of the screen. Click on them to start a new conversation.
  • To target a specific enemy up close, click them or use tab to cycle through nearby enemies. You can't pick an enemy at range: ranged attacks go for a random enemy downfield.
  • Your characters have a limited number of block attempts per turn: 0 by default, but you can increase this by by wearing a shield or training up certain skills.
  • NPCs also have limited blocks: if an enemy keeps blocking your big bruiser's melee strikes, make him waste his block attempts on weaker characters' attacks each round before bringing in the big guns.
  • Arcane foci are unblockable, never miss, and don't depend on stats, but do dogshit damage below Grandmaster.
  • Resistance-boosting spells can be quite useful, especially in elemental-themed areas.
  • Although a Freemage is the only class with access to Dark magic, it's not vital to have one. Most Dark spells can be approximated by other spells, hirelings or effects such as Blessings.
  • Having a Loremaster or using the Whispering Shadows spell allows you to see secret areas. A high Might, Magic or Perception stat will increase a character's chance to access a detected secret.
  • If your stats are low, you still have a chance to pass through a secret door. Cast regeneration and keep trying. Buffs such as Eagle Eye should help as well.
  • Some areas or encounters might require you to rest frequently, or suck down potions. It happens. The game balance tends to encourage you to actually use your consumables.
Gameplay Videos & Goon Streams
Other Useful References
Let me know if anything can be added or improved to this post. Additionally, feel free to talk about other titles in the series in this thread.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This is a good rpg and you should buy it and play it and then post here about how unfair the spider queen is and if you should restart because your party is bad

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Awesome OP :golfclap:

Running with a Crusader, Blade Dancer, Rune Priest, & Shaman. Pretty good so far, but I'm half-tempted to restart after about three hours in. I've kind of been blindly jumping at stat allocation and skills, but I'm having second-thoughts on some skill points thus far. Then again, I'm only level 5 or so :psyduck: Haven't hit a wall per se, but I just feel like I might have wasted some points.

Geop fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 27, 2014

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Reposting my question from the old thread: I'm on the fence right now regarding in what direction I should focus my Crusader. Are they decent melee fighters or should I focus solely on the caster aspects?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

From old thread:

alarumklok posted:

The class/skill chart floating about isn't 100% accurate by the way. Shaman can only expert bow (says master on chart) and crusader can master air (can't even train it according to the chart). I found that one on the forums pre-release from some guy who datamined it, so it's no surprise it's a bit inaccurate. Whoever is redoing the OP should hold off on using it though.

edit: 5 minutes too late!

I tweaked up the table with photoshop to reflect these changes. Let me know if anything else needs fixing!

vvvv Added a note about getting Expert Primordial early on. Pinch every penny!

dhamster fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 27, 2014

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Maybe a note under Tips to get Primordial magic up quickly? Screw those Identify prices! Price gouging, I say!

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

dhamster posted:

From old thread:

I tweaked up the table with photoshop to reflect these changes. Let me know if anything else needs fixing!

I'm sure other people will find any other changes if there any, but that's all I know. Nice OP.

I have a question: does anyone know if focus smacks scale, and if they do with what stat?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Geop posted:

Awesome OP :golfclap:

Running with a Crusader, Blade Dancer, Rune Priest, & Shaman. Pretty good so far, but I'm half-tempted to restart after about three hours in. I've kind of been blindly jumping at stat allocation and skills, but I'm having second-thoughts on some skill points thus far. Then again, I'm only level 5 or so :psyduck: Haven't hit a wall per se, but I just feel like I might have wasted some points.

Skills are weird because you get so many points, but it feels like you don't. As long as you're still able to GM your weapon (or spell schools) of choice and Two-Handed/Dual-Wielding if you need those, along with armor if that's your thing, everything should still be okay. I have some dubious skill choices myself, like giving my Barbarian warmaster when all I use it for is shattering, but he's ready to GM spears and two-handed as soon as I finish off his promotion quest so I'm not too worried. Now I just need to find that stupid air shard so I can get up to the quest area. :v:

On the topic of spell schools, Earth is ridiculous for dealing with trash. I love poison so much, and Acid Splash is great for things with high armor. My Runepriest is focusing on Fire/Earth magic and it's giant explosions of fire and acid all day, every day.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Most people are saying they're finishing around level 30ish.

You get 4 stat points per level and 3 skill points per level, so plan appropriately. I think that's enough to GM 3 skills and Master 1 more.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Well, I've got Swords to Master on my Blade Dancer, but I'm suddenly really feeling the itch to try daggers :staredog: Think I'll forge ahead and start working on daggers. At the very least, I've got sword to Master as a utility of sorts (ie: awesome weapon drop).

On the topic of blade dancers, does anyone usually bother with upping their medium armor skills, or do folks typically zip in to dodge and leave them in light armor? Tempted to raise medium armor to avoid the made-of-wet-paper-character conundrum.

Geop fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 27, 2014

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
I'd recommend putting a warning about the performance problems of this game to the OP, so other people won't end up in the same trap as I did - I love the game, but I can't really play it properly because it just chugs way too badly. The graphics settings etc. don't affect anything. Someone did some digging and found out that the game doesn't use more than 2gb of RAM ever, and only used up to 40% of his CPU, while it stuttered like crazy. There is no solution as of yet, and since it's made by Ubisoft, there probably won't be. So it's not a problem about our rigs themselves; most other games look magnificent and run at a smooth 60fps, while this is just a mess.

See more here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/238750/discussions/0/558746089016714487/#p1

Buyer beware, since Steam doesn't do the whole refund thing. Good game, terrible engine, and if you happen to be one of the people affected by whatever glitch causes this.. well, it sucks.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Nice OP, great game. Too bad mainstream games journalism websites seem to be giving it some pretty average scores - I hope that doesn't affect the sale numbers (and the chances of a Might and Magic XI) too much. It's a niche game, true, but a very good one. Surprising, too, giving that it wasn't made by Jon van Caneghem.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Geop posted:

Well, I've got Swords to Master on my Blade Dancer, but I'm suddenly really feeling the itch to try daggers :staredog: Think I'll forge ahead and start working on daggers. At the very least, I've got sword to Master as a utility of sorts (ie: awesome weapon drop).

On the topic of blade dancers, does anyone usually bother with upping their medium armor skills, or do folks typically zip in to dodge and leave them in light armor? Tempted to raise medium armor to avoid the made-of-wet-paper-character conundrum.

I took medium armor to expert because it does provide a pretty substantial bonus to armor value, and now I'm working on getting Evade up however high I can get it with the points I'm going to have left. Although, looking back I could probably have eschewed armor altogether on him and just stuck with robes and GMing Evasion with points in Endurance to give a buffer to HP. Either seems viable.

How have swords been working for Bladedancer? I went straight for daggers because they become a giant fountain of damage numbers really fast-- the jump in damage from novice to expert dagger is enormous. I'm curious how their other option balances out hitting harder but fewer times.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Dropbear posted:

I'd recommend putting a warning about the performance problems of this game to the OP, so other people won't end up in the same trap as I did - I love the game, but I can't really play it properly because it just chugs way too badly. The graphics settings etc. don't affect anything. Someone did some digging and found out that the game doesn't use more than 2gb of RAM ever, and only used up to 40% of his CPU, while it stuttered like crazy. There is no solution as of yet, and since it's made by Ubisoft, there probably won't be. So it's not a problem about our rigs themselves; most other games look magnificent and run at a smooth 60fps, while this is just a mess.

See more here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/238750/discussions/0/558746089016714487/#p1

Buyer beware, since Steam doesn't do the whole refund thing. Good game, terrible engine, and if you happen to be one of the people affected by whatever glitch causes this.. well, it sucks.

I'm having a hard time parsing through the back-and-forth in that thread. Did they track down the guy's performance problems or any possible fixes? I mean I could put in sirens on top saying "you might have performance problems" but I'd like to add in some more specifics if I can.

vvvv Well, for now I put a notice near the top about it (along with a reminder that it uses Ubi's in-house DRM). If any fixes are found I'll put them up there prominently.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 27, 2014

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

dhamster posted:

I'm having a hard time parsing through the back-and-forth in that thread. Did they track down the guy's performance problems or any possible fixes? I mean I could put in sirens on top saying "you might have performance problems" but I'd like to add in some more specifics if I can.

No fixes; plenty of other people with the same issue (monster rig, game is still unplayably slow, only uses a fraction of the GPU / CPU / RAM available) did pop up, though. I think there's ranting about the same thing on Ubisoft's own forums, but I didn't really dig much there. Some people managed to get some sort of error-log files from the game; the problem might be related to audio somehow, of all things (plenty of error rows about audio issues there), but honestly, who knows.

The only thing that might have helped a bit for me was going into task manager, selecting the Might & Magic process and putting it on high priority, but the game is still stuttering pretty badly especially on the overworld map. For some people turning animation quality to low jumped their FPS from ~10 to 70, or at least someone said so on that thread; didn't really affect anything for me.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm 20 hours in to the game in the middle of act two and I'm thinking of restarting. :negative:

I think I've spread my skill points out way too much. I was giving everyone eveade and endurance and dabbled a little bit in each magic tree and...

Thinking I'm going to drop my barbarian for a bladedancer, too. Daggers any good, or should I go with swords?

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
New thread, some mod may want to link this thread in the old one. It's pretty annoying having to search around for a new thread.

I've been frustrated during combat, and hope there are some answer to be had here. Can someone please explain how movement works during combat?? It's seems utterly random, when you can move and when you cannot. This is especially concerning during that drat battled with the Murmasi (sp?) character, and I kept getting back up against the edge, and swiped off instakill style.

Also, is there a way to target a specific enemy? That is some major frustration there as well, when you're heavy hitter is up, and the target is some guy with 2 hp left, and there's an elite mo-fo looming over you waiting to strike. No way to hit the big guy, AFAIK...

Past those frustrations, it is a pretty serviceable M&M game... wish it had free movement though.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

You can't move while an enemy is in melee range. Knock them back with a spell or you're stuck.

Click on who you want to target in melee. You can't pick targets at range.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
Tab also works to cycle through current enemies. Because clicking on them is wonky, for me at least. There's only a certain spot on the model that lets me switch to them.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
For me, the most important aspect of getting that Might & Magic "feel" right is filling the world with all sorts of weird little encounters that really encourage exploration. To anyone who's played it, how is this game on that front? I've read complaints that the world is kinda bland, but could really tell if they were due to "generic fantasy" :argh: or the world being relatively empty.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Bussamove posted:

How have swords been working for Bladedancer? I went straight for daggers because they become a giant fountain of damage numbers really fast-- the jump in damage from novice to expert dagger is enormous. I'm curious how their other option balances out hitting harder but fewer times.
Well, I've been whiffing a lot :( When both strikes hit, it's pretty good damage! Guess I need to build up some stats a bit more. Perception maybe?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Early (Act 1 / Act 2) tips.

Melee:
    Focus skill points into your primary weapon skills first and foremost. This helps get your attack value up early without having to invest into Perception. Defensive/Support skills like Dodge/Endurance/Arcane Discipline can all wait until late game.
Magic:
    Get at least Novice Earth and Novice Light for Regeneration and Celestial Armor respectively. Invest more into Spirit early on so you get a bigger mana pool. Start going more into Magic once you have a comfortable mana pool. Rush Expert Prime for Identify to save a lot of gold in the long run. If you have a Freemage, rush Expert Dark by Act 2 for Sleep.
Ranged:
    Have 1 point in a ranged skill so you can have an extra item to equip for stat boosts I guess.

Important Spells:
Regeneration (Earth Novice), Celestial Armor (Light Novice), Burning Determination (Fire Expert), Identify (Prime Expert), Sleep (Dark Expert), Purge (Dark Expert), Water Flows Freely (Water Expert), Strength of the Earth (Earth Expert), Spirit Beacon (Prime Expert)

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 27, 2014

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
So I decided to try and build a Destiny+Evade focused party. I'm playing on Warrior difficulty.

I'm rocking about 35 Evade at level 4, but I'm getting hit a lot fighting Kenshi in the Light House. Should I expect this throughout the game, or will it get to a point where I find myself evading lots of attacks?

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Fintilgin posted:

I'm 20 hours in to the game in the middle of act two and I'm thinking of restarting. :negative:

I think I've spread my skill points out way too much. I was giving everyone eveade and endurance and dabbled a little bit in each magic tree and...

Thinking I'm going to drop my barbarian for a bladedancer, too. Daggers any good, or should I go with swords?

I built my bladedancer as a high perception, high destiny dual dagger wielder, with might lagging somewhat behind. The idea is given his high number of strikes, he'll crit fairly often. He's been an awesome damage dealer up through the middle of Act 2. I finally got my crusader an expensive sword, so he's catching up, but that's partly because I've found the sword master trainer but not the dagger master trainer.

For FuriousGeorge, there's M&M staples like obelisks and weird puzzle treasure rooms and riddle chests. It doesn't have lasers and it doesn't have stupid humor, but I feel like exploration is rewarded. My main complaint about exploration is given the fast day/night cycle and the muddy green/brown colors, I spend half my time squinting at my monitor to tell where I'm supposed to go. Even the minimap can be tough to read, since it likes to make some of the terrain squares really dark.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
How blocking works:

Each character (and monster) has a "block percentage" chance, defaulting to 50 for characters. However, you only get a specific number of blocks per turn, defaulting to zero. Equipping a shield will give you +1 block, as will expert skills in shields, dual wield, two-handed, and spears. This makes a two-handed spear tank a completely reasonable thing. Blocks only apply after evasion on what would have otherwise been a hit, and are thus unaffected by the attack stat.

Blocks are per turn, meaning that if you have only a shield, no skills, and are hit with 4 attacks you'll block at most 1 of them. This also works for monsters: if you feel like your tank is worthless because all of his shots are blocked and he can never get off a challenge, have your tank attack second in the round instead of first.

Arcane focus attacks are unblockable and never miss. I have yet to try arcane focus tanking, but there might be some logic to it.

edit: I suggest putting this in the OP.

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 27, 2014

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dropbear posted:

The only thing that might have helped a bit for me was going into task manager, selecting the Might & Magic process and putting it on high priority, but the game is still stuttering pretty badly especially on the overworld map. For some people turning animation quality to low jumped their FPS from ~10 to 70, or at least someone said so on that thread; didn't really affect anything for me.

This is so weird, I have an older rig with everything turned up to the max and it runs extremely fluently except for the loading screens. I did hear the 32-bit version was utterly crippled, though.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

FuriousGeorge posted:

For me, the most important aspect of getting that Might & Magic "feel" right is filling the world with all sorts of weird little encounters that really encourage exploration. To anyone who's played it, how is this game on that front? I've read complaints that the world is kinda bland, but could really tell if they were due to "generic fantasy" :argh: or the world being relatively empty.

There's grandmaster trainers/promotions in random corners of the world who make you do quests for them before they'll train you, obelisks, a bajillion side dungeons, "dangerous caves" (minibosses), shipwrecks off the coast, secret doors, puzzles and riddles and poo poo, and the usual random chests/lootables and color barrels. The actual Act 3 stuff was probably 4-5 hours, but I spent 25-30 in it.

Dahbadu posted:

So I decided to try and build a Destiny+Evade focused party. I'm playing on Warrior difficulty.

I'm rocking about 35 Evade at level 4, but I'm getting hit a lot fighting Kenshi in the Light House. Should I expect this throughout the game, or will it get to a point where I find myself evading lots of attacks?

It'll get better. I'm pretty sure it compares attack value to evade, so if you look at Kenshi they have 50 attack value, which is miles ahead of everything else at that point.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

FuriousGeorge posted:

There's lots of little things to find, but they lack the campy charm of earlier games. Obelisks are back, there are chests that require you to solve riddles to open them, there's lots of tombs around that have puzzles inside that will yield relics when you solve them, and there are caves with rather challenging unique monsters inside guarding caches of loot. Dungeons are fairly large and have a good amount of secrets, provided you have either a Loremaster or a Freemage to find them with. Monster design and the world in general is kind of bland, although having played lots of Duel of Champions it's nice that they kept the look and feel consistent between the two games. One dungeon in particular felt like I was fighting through my own Necro deck and good god is that what I've been doing to people this whole time I'm a monster.

One thing the game does very right in respect to the older ones is not holding your hand about where quests send you, and quests that will take you to the far end of the map from where they were given. A big fear of mine through Act 1 was that everything was going to be very compartmentalized and local since you're stuck on a small portion of the map for the entire duration, but pretty much as soon as you finish that up the rest of the world becomes available (to a point: you do still need to obtain certain abilities to reach places) and quests will start sending you further abroad to get them done, often with only vague clues as to where to go and no giant markers or anything of the sort. Usually they'll indicate a town you need to go to, and all of them tell you which specific region the goal is in, but from there it's up to you to find out how to complete it, most of the time. It really encourages exploration and poking around the world. The setting itself is boring, but honestly I've never found M&M's plot to be overly engaging. The background is kind of cool and the concept of devils and angels actually being very advanced aliens was interesting at the time, but it always felt like more of a prop to support the real meat of the game, which was dungeon crawling and loot gathering.

My big gripe with the game is a lack of hirelings. There's one or two of each type squirreled away somewhere, I miss being able to hire randomly generated people off the street to give me bonuses, although in a modern game that isn't using the exact same pixelated model for every townsperson that's not very feasible.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Bit late, but for those who were wondering whether or not to pick up Medium Armor for their Bladedancers, stick with Light; there's a relic light armor that gives a rather nice boost to both Dual Wield and Dodge. It's in a shipwreck south of Karthal, you can get there without much difficulty as soon as you grab the water blessing.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Unoriginal One posted:

Bit late, but for those who were wondering whether or not to pick up Medium Armor for their Bladedancers, stick with Light; there's a relic light armor that gives a rather nice boost to both Dual Wield and Dodge. It's in a shipwreck south of Karthal, you can get there without much difficulty as soon as you grab the water blessing.

Well now I feel like a dip for investing all those points in medium.

Now I just need the water blessing! Where ever that is.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

FuriousGeorge posted:

Mechanically, it plays more or less like Isles of Terra/World of Xeen, plus some modern conveniences and some more interesting spell effects and combat. It doesn't have any of the old sci-fi weirdness, and while there is a sense of humor to be found, it isn't as front and center as it has been in past games. The UI isn't perfect, but if you can stand the one from the older games you aren't going to have any issues.

I think this game is a really good come back for the series. The combat on warrior difficulty requires more than just mashing an attack key or spamming the same spell over and over. Some fights are unwinnable if you do not pay attention to positioning, or ignore the secondary effects on some of your spells (That first ice attack spell is goddamn life saver) and while it is missing the soul of the older games, maybe this one will sell enough to see some follow ups produced that bring back some of that old charm. Even if it doesn't, there really aren't many dungeon crawler games like this out there, and while it isn't the best game I have ever played, I am still really enjoying it.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Bussamove posted:

Well now I feel like a dip for investing all those points in medium.

Now I just need the water blessing! Where ever that is.

You can get there without it, but you'll have to be strong enough to fight your way through a couple packs of Black Guards and Dark Wizards.

Oh, and Fluffy. Can't forget about Fluffy.

With the blessing you can take the back route that starts by the Lighthouse, that path only has a few Blackfang goons sitting in it.

Morricone
Jul 7, 2005
It's great fun and all but it's the buggiest game I've played in 15 years or so. Seriously, it must've been coded by hamsters with alzeheimers disease.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
So, I take back my bad words about the dwarf defender - I just soloed the cyclops with him. The rest of the party died pretty fast, but the cyclops just couldn't damage my dwarf. His blows were either blocked (around 65% of the time) or just did 0 damage (I suppose this is thanks to the heavy armor?). I just wailed on him for what seemed like forever until he dropped. Not sure if the fight was supposed to go quite like this, or even be done this early, but hey - I'll take it!

I also used him to solo some ghoul / skeleton spearman-groups. Again, the rest dropped fast, but he just kept on smashin'.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just got the relic in the dark room with the red lights and floor plates. That one was nightmarish, and took me a while to solve.

There is a staff relic on the third floor of the tower of enigma which is really easy to miss too. Be sure to check every view angle.

Where is the detect secrets companion? I feel like I should have found them by now.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I have encountered a pretty nasty bug where the game thinks I am permanently in combat. This means that I cannot rest, save, or enter any other maps. Loading my autosave doesn't fix it, but my last manual save is over 2 hours ago. Has anyone encountered this bug and know how to fix it?

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Morricone posted:

It's great fun and all but it's the buggiest game I've played in 15 years or so. Seriously, it must've been coded by hamsters with alzeheimers disease.

Only major bug I've had is the music looping one, and turning off music (after a reload) took care of that. There may be some mechanical stuff going on (I'm pretty sure the light spell that keeps the target from blocking just takes away one block) but I'm finding the whole game so far above my initial (admittedly very low) expectations that it's hard to complain.

I mean, let's be serious, the M&M series is not exactly renowned for its production values.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

KnoxZone posted:

I have encountered a pretty nasty bug where the game thinks I am permanently in combat. This means that I cannot rest, save, or enter any other maps. Loading my autosave doesn't fix it, but my last manual save is over 2 hours ago. Has anyone encountered this bug and know how to fix it?

I have encountered this multiple times. Retrace your steps prior to the bug and see if there's a respawned group of enemies you fought recently. Kill them again and it should fix it. I've had this happen in the Wyshin Jungle against Goblins and in the water of the northern coast against Elementals.

I used Spirit Beacon soonish after completing a battle in both cases so that might be causing it.

Morricone
Jul 7, 2005

Lewd Mangabey posted:

Only major bug I've had is the music looping one, and turning off music (after a reload) took care of that. There may be some mechanical stuff going on (I'm pretty sure the light spell that keeps the target from blocking just takes away one block) but I'm finding the whole game so far above my initial (admittedly very low) expectations that it's hard to complain.

I mean, let's be serious, the M&M series is not exactly renowned for its production values.

The game is great fun and I have nothing to complain about there, it's just the technical stuff. Textures stuck at medium, no voices, game often demands 3 times the memory Skyrim does (2.5-3 gig RAM eaten up), stuttery, crashes every 30-60 mins, loses savegames so you have to restart the game, loadingtimes above 2-3 mins when leaving cities etc. It's no masterpiece of coding :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Gyoru posted:

I have encountered this multiple times. Retrace your steps prior to the bug and see if there's a respawned group of enemies you fought recently. Kill them again and it should fix it. I've had this happen in the Wyshin Jungle against Goblins and in the water of the northern coast against Elementals.

I used Spirit Beacon soonish after completing a battle in both cases so that might be causing it.

It was indeed Spirit Beacon from me as well. Thanks for the answer.

• Locked thread