Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

DrBouvenstein posted:

AA is clearly Littlfinger.

Let me try this Madlibs thing:

Littlefinger is Azor Ahai. The first "sword" was Catelyn Tully, the second was Lysa, the 3rd is Sansa who is Lightbringer. By conceiving a child with Sansa Stark he'll kill her (or himself, either way), but create a weapon that can defeat the Others.

He knows that there has to be 3 attempts and the first two attempts at creating Lightbringer would fail. The dragon needs 3 heads.

Don't forget that Azor Ahai is also "Born amidst salt and smoke". AA was "born" in Littlefinger when he got beat by Brandon Stark at the Vale. The salt are his tears and the smoke is....uh, somebody had lit a fire nearby so there was some smoke in the air. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Mike N Eich posted:

Maisie Williams: "The Starks are coming back stronger"

Uhh...they are??

Well, a season without any more dying maybe? Oh.. wait. Maybe?

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

James R posted:

Well, a season without any more dying maybe? Oh.. wait. Maybe?

I think that line was just to help out show-only people that are still reeling from Robb being a moron

James R
Dec 22, 2006

Friendly Factory posted:

I think that line was just to help out show-only people that are still reeling from Robb being a moron

Or it could be due to the fact that we don't have to listen to Catelyn talking/whining anymore.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

In It For The Tank posted:

I wonder if, given Show Littlefinger's propensity for sharing his plans with anyone who will listen, it will be him spelling out the plan step by step for the audience to understand.

I'd like to see a Wes Anderson style montage on how he did it, complete with pull down charts with vintage graphics.

Was it this thread where I read that the Epilogue should be titled "The Price that was Promised" and simply be a chapter on Rhaegar Targaryen putting his solemnly putting his armor on before the Trident, or was that one of the dedicated forums?

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
I'm curious how far into the events at Mereen we'll get this season. That along with the introduction of some Dornish characters have me most excited for this season.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

sulphix posted:

I'm curious how far into the events at Mereen we'll get this season. That along with the introduction of some Dornish characters have me most excited for this season.

That interests me as well. From the casting of Hizdhar, Hazzea's father, and some of the teaser shots, it seems like they'll be already going into some Sons of the Valkyrie related troubles. I could definitely see them using the shot of the burned bones as a stinger for the ninth or tenth episode, or maybe the imprisonment of her dragons.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 28, 2014

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Episode 9 is going to be 55 minutes of Dany wandering down from the mountain and making GBS threads herself.

It is known.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Professor Shark posted:

Was it this thread where I read that the Epilogue should be titled "The Price that was Promised" and simply be a chapter on Rhaegar Targaryen putting his solemnly putting his armor on before the Trident, or was that one of the dedicated forums?

It was here, and it's still a dumb idea unless there's some actual closure before it.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Episode 9 is going to be 55 minutes of Dany wandering down from the mountain and making GBS threads herself.

It is known.

In a stunning change from the books to make up for cutting Strong Belwas, at the climax of the trial by combat, Dany will fly in on Drogon and poo poo on the Mountain.

It is known.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
I honestly, truly believe that the perfect scenario when the show overtakes the books is to turn it into a sketch comedy show and just sit back and watch the rage.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Long-form improv between all the actors as their characters. DANYYYYYYYYY, BUT YOU CAN'T USE DROGON TO MELT THE MEEREENESE KNOT!?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

computer parts posted:

It was here, and it's still a dumb idea unless there's some actual closure before it.

Definitely disagree with you on that. The notion that EVERYTHING has been decidedly hosed by Rhaegar's death, which happened long before the story of the book and the show? That's a proper kick in the nuts, especially if things can resolve to some level of stability with the main cast of the show/books, but with the finality of the world's end being set in stone due to, say, the dragons being the only thing to stop the Others/Walkers and all having been killed by the dumbasses in Slaver's Bay plus whatever happens to Drogon. Or that ruling over a peacefully held-together Westeros over this coming Long Winter was necessary for some reason. Without the future novels, I don't even see what threat there is to anyone outside of Westeros by The Others. It's just a continent. There's a few of them. Move.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Apoplexy posted:

Definitely disagree with you on that. The notion that EVERYTHING has been decidedly hosed by Rhaegar's death, which happened long before the story of the book and the show? That's a proper kick in the nuts, especially if things can resolve to some level of stability with the main cast of the show/books, but with the finality of the world's end being set in stone due to, say, the dragons being the only thing to stop the Others/Walkers and all having been killed by the dumbasses in Slaver's Bay plus whatever happens to Drogon. Or that ruling over a peacefully held-together Westeros over this coming Long Winter was necessary for some reason. Without the future novels, I don't even see what threat there is to anyone outside of Westeros by The Others. It's just a continent. There's a few of them. Move.

No, it's still really stupid.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Friendly Factory posted:

I honestly, truly believe that the perfect scenario when the show overtakes the books is to turn it into a sketch comedy show and just sit back and watch the rage.
Turn it into a alow as hell soap opera, call it the Dragons of our Lives and suddenly EVERYONE who was complaining about not remembering who is who will be magically able to recite the full biography of the most minor characters.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
I'm in the middle of a rewatch and does the stupid fighting move where somebody incapacitates an enemy and then shoves a sword down their back irritate anybody else? What loving choreographer came up with that poo poo?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Friendly Factory posted:

Just give us an entire season of Tywin and Arya hanging out and making fun of dumb nobles

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

computer parts posted:

It would be horrible as literally the last chapter of the series. I think it would be great as, say, the prologue chapter to the last book (A Time for Wolves, or whatever), a rewarding look into the mind of a deceased major character and prelude to all this horrible poo poo that's gonna go down.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Apoplexy posted:

Without the future novels, I don't even see what threat there is to anyone outside of Westeros by The Others. It's just a continent. There's a few of them. Move.

GRRM definitely has a lot of ground to cover in terms of setting up the rules of magic in WoW because right now the Others are unstoppable (well, except for the impregnable magic wall they can't get past).

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Mammon Loves You posted:

I'm in the middle of a rewatch and does the stupid fighting move where somebody incapacitates an enemy and then shoves a sword down their back irritate anybody else? What loving choreographer came up with that poo poo?

Point a specific fight out, because you're doing nothing but reminding me of the amazing Bronn vs Ser Vardis Egen where Bronn kept poking at places his armor left unexposed until he just had the guy right next to the Moon Gate completely out of fight, that's where he jams his sword basically through the chest cavity from the top down. Not an easy survival to that. If you mean in a much broader sense of knocking out a combatant and then 'shoving a sword down their back', that's called finishing their life 85% of the time, or breaking the spinal connection, leaving them alive but needing significant care for their entire lives.

Cpt.Sean Luc Picard
Nov 24, 2006
man why you even got to do a thing?

Irish Joe posted:

GRRM definitely has a lot of ground to cover in terms of setting up the rules of magic in WoW because right now the Others are unstoppable (well, except for the impregnable magic wall they can't get past).

Wait, I thought that there was a horn that can take down the wall (Horn of Joramun) and that the Others can be killed with dragonglass or fire? I need to re-watch(read) everything.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cpt.Sean Luc Picard posted:

Wait, I thought that there was a horn that can take down the wall (Horn of Joramun) and that the Others can be killed with dragonglass or fire? I need to re-watch(read) everything.

You can kill them with dragon glass, you can also probably kill them with fire but we've only ever seen their zombie minions die from that.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

Apoplexy posted:

Point a specific fight out, because you're doing nothing but reminding me of the amazing Bronn vs Ser Vardis Egen where Bronn kept poking at places his armor left unexposed until he just had the guy right next to the Moon Gate completely out of fight, that's where he jams his sword basically through the chest cavity from the top down. Not an easy survival to that. If you mean in a much broader sense of knocking out a combatant and then 'shoving a sword down their back', that's called finishing their life 85% of the time, or breaking the spinal connection, leaving them alive but needing significant care for their entire lives.

The first time I remember seeing that 'move' properly was in Achilles starring Brad Pitt doing it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Cpt.Sean Luc Picard posted:

Its literally a zombie invasion. Yeah, you can kill them with fire and dragonglass, but chances are they'll still eventually win through attrition.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
Definitely happens to Yoren and then two eps or so later Brienne does it to one of the rainbow guard after Renly dies. The one where the combatant some how gets knocked into a kneeling position and then they walk around them to stab vertically along their spinal column like its a Mortal Combat animation or something.

FINISH HIM !!

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

computer parts posted:

Yes this ending is just bleak not "bittersweet" (which I assume means humanity is saved but at great cost/death of main characters).

quote:

Apoplexy posted:
Without the future novels, I don't even see what threat there is to anyone outside of Westeros by The Others. It's just a continent. There's a few of them. Move.

Do you really think the Others would just stay in westeros? I always considered them a global threat.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

ShaqDiesel posted:

Yes this ending is just bleak not "bittersweet" (which I assume means humanity is saved but at great cost/death of main characters).

Do you really think the Others would just stay in westeros? I always considered them a global threat.

What's keeping them from breaching the Wall is magic, simple, can't gently caress with The Wall for them. I'm thinking they see unfrozen sea as treacherous. But what's keeping them from killing a ton of Wildlings and turning them into a big wightboat of bodies that can get one or two of the White Walkers/Others proper to Braavos? Either they're completely bound to Westeros or controlling Westeros gives them exactly what they need to be at before their next step can ever start.

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 28, 2014

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

computer parts posted:

No it's a really cool idea. Not sure how well it'd work but it's ballsy and really reflects the bleakness of the series as a whole.

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...

Mammon Loves You posted:

That's an authentic kill strike. The sword goes behind the breast bone into the heart, not through the back.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
To the surprise of no one, Theon's ADWD Moat Cailin adventure is confirmed by the presence of a new cast member.

I hope they at least mention Victarion.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011

Twisted Perspective posted:

That's an authentic kill strike. The sword goes behind the breast bone into the heart, not through the back.

Yeah that's not the one I'm talking about then. The awkward one where they stand behind the enemy kneeling and shove the entire sword through the spinal column like nobody has every legitimately done.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
Calm down. It really is a legit way to execute someone. Also, reminds me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-svD7t4ZTI

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ShaqDiesel posted:

To be fair, from everything we saw in the books yet, I would hardly consider the Others a threat even to Westeros. They cant get past the wall and, after those few attacks, seemed to disappear. They never even striked the wildling army outside the walls, for example. I know we are told a lot of times that they are an existential threat to humanity, but nothing they actually did in the books seems to justify that.

Which got me thinking by the end of book 5: everything Jon does as LC (specially the wilding alliance) would be justified if, and only if, the Others are that huge threat to humanity Jon seems to believe. But we have almost no reason to believe that, and his brothers didnt either. That's why the alliance seemed absurd to then, a betrayal, and that's why they stabbed Jon.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

To be fair, from everything we saw in the books yet, I would hardly consider the Others a threat even to Westeros. They cant get past the wall and, after those few attacks, seemed to disappear. They never even striked the wildling army outside the walls, for example. I know we are told a lot of times that they are an existential threat to humanity, but nothing they actually did in the books seems to justify that.
They did, just not in the same sized force as there was at the Fist of the First Men. Tormund or Mance mentions that they've suffered significant losses to the Others during the siege.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
The wildlings also expected the Others and took preventative measures, like ringing their camps with campfires. Tormund mentions it to Jon when explaining that they had some nibbles here and there but no real attacks. Some piece of the puzzle is missing though, by everything that is known so far the Others could have overwhelmed the wildlings and had no reason not to. Either they didn't want to for some reason or they couldn't, maybe there are too few Others. The verdict is still out on how impervious the Others are to fire as well, a torch doesn't seem like enough to do it but maybe a ring of campfires is enough to give them pause.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Elias_Maluco posted:

Which got me thinking by the end of book 5: everything Jon does as LC (specially the wilding alliance) would be justified if, and only if, the Others are that huge threat to humanity Jon seems to believe. But we have almost no reason to believe that, and his brothers didnt either. That's why the alliance seemed absurd to then, a betrayal, and that's why they stabbed Jon.

You are wrong. They didn't mutiny against him when he allied with the wildlings and let them through the wall. The conspirators left the shield hall as Jon was announcing that the Nights Watch Lord Commander was going to march south in force against one of high lords of the Seven Kingdoms. The betrayal is him declaring war on the seven kingdoms, not letting the wildings through. They stabbed him because he broke his oath.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yes, in good Stark tradition, Jon's 'death' is 100% his fault and could have easily been avoided if he just acted a little smarter.

Rereading his chapters, it's telegraphed pretty well. Not so much the actual stabbing, but that he gradually alienates everybody around him with his decisions.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bluedust posted:

No it's a really cool idea. Not sure how well it'd work but it's ballsy and really reflects the bleakness of the series as a whole.

No it really doesn't. GRRM as of now hasn't killed anyone who is a named character and wasn't basically asking for it.

That ending is just "heh bad guys have to win because that's edgy :smug:" incarnate.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Regarding the Prince that was Promised ending with Rhaegar. I think it sounds cool in concept but would likely fall flat in execution. Once the reader got past the realization of what happened the remainder of the chapter would likely just be a dull fade out. Despite all the talk of GRRM going against tropes and the bleak nature of the series I do expect there to be some closure, even if it is bittersweet.

Also regarding the Others. I seem to recall they have a weakness to Valyrian steel too. Was this said in the books or is this something that I just misread or assumed would happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

lifts cats over head posted:

Despite all the talk of GRRM going against tropes and the bleak nature of the series I do expect there to be some closure, even if it is bittersweet.

The second to last chapter is Arya dying alone in the snow, slowly coming to the realization that being a ninja assassin means jack poo poo when you're fighting an unflappable army with no clear command structure.

• Locked thread