Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I can't shoot down your ESP or spot it for others, or receive directional warning as to where the attack is coming from or that it's being used in the first place. MAVLAM won't tell you there are guys setting up beneath the left building on Zavod. MAVLAM takes up two inventory slots; ESP takes no gear slots and yet invalidates using MAV/TUGS/thermals/Wizballs/spotting/proximity/IRNV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I hope I can get my computer working again by February so I can take advantage of player appreciation month. I've only been able to play a couple matches over the past month or so because my computer broke, then I built a new one, then had to RMA my motherboard from the new one after a few days :( I've been wanting to play more of it, so it'll be nice to start playing it again in a month jam packed with double XP events and free battlepacks and stuff like that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

whatspeakyou posted:

No. Not even a little bit. MAV spotting works as intended. You're comparing lazing a tank to wall hacks. You have to compare the exploits for what they are: ability to laze targets or see through walls to know where any enemy is ever.

I'm not trying to draw some moral equivalence between the two, obviously ESP is much worse, and literally cheating.

I'm just saying MAVLAM is also bad and exploity.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

PittTheElder posted:

I'm not trying to draw some moral equivalence between the two, obviously ESP is much worse, and literally cheating.

If :dice: came out and said it was an exploit I would give a drat but they have flat refused to even put it on their public bug tracker thing nor have I heard of anyone from Dice even mention it. If there are servers that actively boot for doing this then it's clearly something they've been made aware of by this point. I'll stop doing it when they admit it's a problem.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 28, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SwitchbladeKult posted:

If :dice: came out and said it was an exploit I would give a drat but they have flat refused to even put it on their public bug tracker thing nor have I heard of anyone from Dice even mention it. If there are servers that actively boot for doing this then it's clearly something they've been made aware of by this point. I'll stop doing it when they admit it's a problem.

I would assume it's because it isn't really known, so addressing it publically would just let everyone know how to do it. But then again, :dice:

Don't try to kid yourself though, its obvious a bug and exploit.

pankus
Jul 30, 2003
I mavflam when I get mad at other vehicles so add me if you're down with that. I also like to play in squads whose leaders set orders and use some voice chat.

Is your voice chat heard when you die?

origin id is yeahboats

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
The usefulness of the SOFLAM/MAV exploit just shows how tardy those other airborne gadgets are. Or it shows how crappy anti-vehicle rockets are. Or maybe it shows that recharging health in vehicles is a lovely mechanic.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

:hurr:

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I would assume it's because it isn't really known, so addressing it publically would just let everyone know how to do it. But then again, :dice:

Don't try to kid yourself though, its obvious a bug and exploit.

Yeah it's obviously a glitch, but from all the posting about it I would imagine like half the goon population will stop playing after they patch it out.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

I'm RLDMOTO on Battlelog. I'm also a MAVLAMer.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
MAVLAM is balanced by making it obvious how bad your team is playing. Enemy armoured columns can get blown to smithereens by rockets all round long but your team will find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory the time.

Judas Priest
Jul 25, 2003
Breaking the law, breaking the law
Balance and glitches don't have anything to do with one another.

Glitches are exactly that, and need to be fixed.

Is anyone actually arguing that instantly lazing opponents (effectively through walls) from a murder boat or a LAV isn't a glitch?

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

I'm pretty sure no one thinks that. I'm pretty sure everyone enjoys 0/0 KD's and more or less griefing other players.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Judas Priest posted:

Is anyone actually arguing that instantly lazing opponents (effectively through walls) from a murder boat or a LAV isn't a glitch?

It's more like you had a SOFLAM lashed to your boat, because you still need line of sight from your position to the enemy. Still a glitch though. It's neither instant nor functional through walls, which would be absurd.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

WastedJoker posted:

The usefulness of the SOFLAM/MAV exploit just shows how tardy those other airborne gadgets are. Or it shows how crappy anti-vehicle rockets are. Or maybe it shows that recharging health in vehicles is a lovely mechanic.

It mostly shows that lasing targets in general is incredibly useful and that players not taking advantage of it is an awful thing.

The problem with players either not lasing or not making use of lased targets is one that fuels itself. Though MAVFLAMing takes that to the opposite end of the spectrum, and gives your teammates an abundance of lased targets that they otherwise wouldn't have because you've gone from things being lased within 500m and LOS of an object fixed to a ground surface to things being lased within 500m and LOS of something that can fly allover the map, you have safety in it's mobility while also not needing to be concerned about the LOS getting blocked by terrain.

People posting screencaps of folks topping the scoreboards at 0-0 showing how ridiculously effective it is should only really add to sentiments of how terrible and cheaty it is, but I'm guessing that because it seem to be something mostly unknown by pubbies that goons are happy to abuse it, at least that's how it is in other games with a significant goon presence.

Judas Priest posted:

Chronojam posted:

It's more like you had a SOFLAM lashed to your boat, because you still need line of sight from your position to the enemy. Still a glitch though. It's neither instant nor functional through walls, which would be absurd.

If it was just the LAV and boat it worked with then it would be less of a problem(but still awful), working with the MAV makes it completely gamebreaking though.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

If you guys posting your OriginIDs on the last pages get a request from BromanJenkins that is me. Since leaving my Xbros behind and going to PC my ability to communicate with my team is greatly diminished and so has my fun so I'm always looking for people to play with.

Sticksy can tell you I'm able to fly a transport chopper reasonably well.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
One reason the MAVLAM works so well is that once you get a lock, you actually can hold it. In normal play, the few times I see a laser designator I give it a high chance of being lost almost as fast as I can lock onto it. Prior to the MAVLAM stuff, my Jav/SRAWs almost never hit because its pretty easy to juke a recon lasing you.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

lohli posted:

It mostly shows that lasing targets in general is incredibly useful and that players not taking advantage of it is an awful thing.

Yep. It also really makes me wonder if the lasing range on the PLD shouldn't be extended a little bit. It seems exceptionally rare that recons will lase targets right now, which might have to do with the short range on the thing, or might just be because every recon is running Beacon and C4.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Yep. It also really makes me wonder if the lasing range on the PLD shouldn't be extended a little bit. It seems exceptionally rare that recons will lase targets right now, which might have to do with the short range on the thing, or might just be because every recon is running Beacon and C4.

I've been trying a bit, but it's real hard to stay hidden. Being within 500m and LOS of a vehicle is generally not a healthy thing.

I'm guessing most vehicles are running with IR optics, meaning they'll spot you right quick. The laser warning makes them real skittish too, darting behind cover or running out of range. Area denial complete I guess, but for some reason that's alot more annoying than a LB ducking behind a building when I igla it.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

PittTheElder posted:

The problem with the PLD isn't range, it's the ease of breaking LOS unless you're up close. lohli identified correctly why the MAVLAM is broken, it's because you have an aerial spotting platform that doesn't have to abide by ground based LOS rules.

Technically you do the exact same thing with a Scout Heli and a recon spotting things with a PLD. I'll be sad when MAVLAM gets nerfed, but I still think you can run a PLD in a squad with voice com. You just can't dominate the entire map anymore.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Just added a bunch of you - I've been itching to play this game with a squad that actually does squad stuff. Even if that is making GBS threads JAVs all over the enemy team and watching our own team totally fail to take flags anyway. I'm CptB33fheart on Origin. Just had a couple quick games with suboptimal and a random cooperative pubbie, was fun.

moller fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 29, 2014

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

lohli posted:

If it was just the LAV and boat it worked with then it would be less of a problem(but still awful), working with the MAV makes it completely gamebreaking though.

Personally (as someone who abuses the MAVLAM bug with a boat and TOW) it's more of a problem and more game breaking with the LAV/Attack Boat. With the MAV you're dependent on others playing along for the exploit to be worthwhile. In a vehicle you can just ride around raining death down all by yourself. Posting up KDRs in the 20+ range is more problematic.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

moller posted:

Just added a bunch of you - I've been itching to play this game with a squad that actually does squad stuff. Even if that is making GBS threads JAVs all over the enemy team and watching our own team totally fail to take flags anyway. I'm CptB33fheart on Origin. Just had a couple quick games with suboptimal and a random cooperative pubbie, was fun.

And case in point about how having an effective squad that MAVLAMs or hell even just communicates isn't enough to save a lovely team from itself. We had shut down all of their armor and our team failed to exploit it.

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.

OGS-Remix posted:

The problem with the PLD isn't range, it's the ease of breaking LOS unless you're up close.

Also it takes way too long to acquire a target using the PLD compared to the soflam. Either that or soflam ignores thermal camouflage.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

mexi posted:

Also it takes way too long to acquire a target using the PLD compared to the soflam. Either that or soflam ignores thermal camouflage.
I haven't noticed the difference. I think that the MAVLAM just doesn't have the "acquiring" boxes so it looks like its instant.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal

Delicious Meat posted:

Oh, looks like there's going to be a Player Appreciation Month! I wonder what it'll ha-

I laughed when this page refused to load. Is that a :dice: feature, or are you trolling us?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

I haven't noticed the difference. I think that the MAVLAM just doesn't have the "acquiring" boxes so it looks like its instant.

Yeah, I just think it's the animation that doesn't show up. Designating with the MAVLAM still takes time.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I just sent requests to a bunch of you, I'm SadDuck....
Best part of the MAV is still blowing up people's explosives when they're standing next to them.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Mizaq posted:

I laughed when this page refused to load. Is that a :dice: feature, or are you trolling us?

That's on your end bub. Works fine on my phone

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

The range is pretty small compared to the soflam, but I'd say it's pretty well balanced on account of the mobility you have with it and how quickly you can whip it out for lasing or spotting.

Ravenfood posted:

One reason the MAVLAM works so well is that once you get a lock, you actually can hold it. In normal play, the few times I see a laser designator I give it a high chance of being lost almost as fast as I can lock onto it. Prior to the MAVLAM stuff, my Jav/SRAWs almost never hit because its pretty easy to juke a recon lasing you.

Losing lockons is easier than people think(also incredibly frustrating), losing it because a vehicle went behind a tree momentarily is fine, but losing it because what amounts to an area the size of a wheel/cog on the treads of a tank being blocked by a rock sucks. Really though actively trying to lase stuff is mostly about trying to do it from a location where you're not going to easily lose the lock on, which usually means elevated terrain if you're on the maps that are hilly.

OGS-Remix posted:

Technically you do the exact same thing with a Scout Heli and a recon spotting things with a PLD. I'll be sad when MAVLAM gets nerfed, but I still think you can run a PLD in a squad with voice com. You just can't dominate the entire map anymore.

Riding around on the side of a heli with a PLD is pretty great, but you'd need to be communicating with a compliant pilot otherwise you can't do any more than spot dudes.

Ravenfood posted:

This is correct, the "acquiring" box doesn't show up, just the final "target locked" one, maybe someone wants to test whether or not thermal camo is negated when MAVLAMing?

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal

jisforjosh posted:

That's on your end bub. Works fine on my phone

Weird, I can get to it from the bitly link on their main website http://bit.ly/1mKS4hj but I can't click from here on my desktop.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
I'm sorry, but in my opinion MAVLAMing is waaaaaaay less bullshit then some rear end in a top hat in an LB or attack jet that goes 50-4 cause you're team loving sucks. I've had my MAV repetedly shot/sniped out of the air, so it's much, much easier to beat than a decent aircraft pilot.

Not to mention that it helps other people on the team. That LB rear end in a top hat isn't directly giving points to the rest of the team. The MAVLAM does that, if said team is smart enough to pick up launchers.

Hacks and exploits loving suck because they make the game unfun for everyone and breaks the game. The MAVLAM doesn't do either of those.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

MAVLAM is fun but it's literally an exploit

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

SwitchbladeKult posted:

If :dice: came out and said it was an exploit I would give a drat but they have flat refused to even put it on their public bug tracker thing nor have I heard of anyone from Dice even mention it.

Heck, we still can't see where ammo boxes are on the minimap! :haw:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Target Practice posted:

I'm sorry, but in my opinion MAVLAMing is waaaaaaay less bullshit then some rear end in a top hat in an LB or attack jet that goes 50-4 cause you're team loving sucks. I've had my MAV repetedly shot/sniped out of the air, so it's much, much easier to beat than a decent aircraft pilot.

Not to mention that it helps other people on the team. That LB rear end in a top hat isn't directly giving points to the rest of the team. The MAVLAM does that, if said team is smart enough to pick up launchers.

Hacks and exploits loving suck because they make the game unfun for everyone and breaks the game. The MAVLAM doesn't do either of those.

Well if I am doing the exploit / bug it doesn't count. But someone flying really well and not exploiting at all? That's bullshit!

And I am pretty sure going 50-4 is helping your team, even if you don't give them points as you are probably shutting down everything in the air and covering a large section of the map.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
So a few weeks ago a few people were claiming that there is no difference from the RPK-12 and the RPK-74, aside from the 12 having something like 13 more rounds in the magazine. After spending quite some time with both, I can say this is false. I've been running both with a kobra sight, 2x magnifier, heavy barrel, and angled grip, and the 74 is far more accurate after the first few rounds. I daresay outside of a heavy barrel and deployed bipod, it's probably one of the more accurate LMGs after 3 or 4 rounds. The thing is just a death laser, and the fact that it looks cool as hell doesn't hurt either.

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.

Ravenfood posted:

Using that exploit the target is marked instantly for me. The only times it takes longer is when it just doesn't show up on little birds but you can tell it definitely is when they pop flares the moment the cursor is on them. The PLD can take like 3+ seconds and the acquiring/keeping the lock is incredibly wonky if the target is barely even moving.

edit: had to go try it. Seems the PLD feels like it takes longer because the locking on is so inconsistent. I would keep my cursor over a vehicle and the lock would "break" before it finished and it'd start lasing the target all over again.

mexi fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 29, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Target Practice posted:

Hacks and exploits loving suck because they make the game unfun for everyone [on the other team] and breaks the game. The MAVLAM doesn't do either of those.

It absolutely does.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Target Practice posted:

Other people are good at the game and I don't know how to use a stinger so this vindicates my abuse of a glitch that shits up the game for an entire team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Awesome, I can't seem to join any servers right now. It's cycling between the Game disconnected: could not join server and some message saying it couldn't communicate with BF4 close it in the task manager.

• Locked thread