Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

MadBimber posted:

No loving way.

That's almost as absurd as mount snakemore. Thank you for that link, I'm thinking about buying MGR now.

I think MGR is required material for any MG fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MadBimber posted:

No loving way.

That's almost as absurd as mount snakemore. Thank you for that link, I'm thinking about buying MGR now.

It's a $30 game now on Steam and on consoles and both DLC campaigns are free. Why haven't you gotten it yet?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

If the goofiness and tongue-in-cheek of Metal Gear is something that appeals to you, then get the game right away. "Don't gently caress with this senator!" is a drop in the ocean of absurdity that is Metal Gear Rising. Even if you don't usually like action-heavy high-speed brawlers it's still a fantastic game; it's one of my least favorite genres but I got hooked almost right away, the combat is just so goddamn satisfying when you get the hang of it.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Or if you like the grizzled soldier trying to understand his place in the world stories of MGS1 and 4 the story will also appeal to you I think. It ain't the Godfather but it's definitely smarter then most games.

mascotte
Mar 21, 2013

Ling-Ling here to destroy all! And give children seizure!

ChaosArgate posted:

It's a $30 game now on Steam and on consoles and both DLC campaigns are free. Why haven't you gotten it yet?
Other than the major frame drops I'm getting in blade mode when making a lot of cuts, I'm pretty satisfied with the PC port. The game looks really nice in 1080p and constant 60fps is great, except blade mode. definitely worth the money.

Major INTERSpess posted:

http://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/428094216992874496

The options button thing breaks my heart, but this fukken title screen is amazing.
I wonder if JAMAIS VU is getting a Snatcher inspired title screen. If it does I'm hoping Kojima won't show it, I'm already really sad that I won't be able to play it. Don't twist the knife Hideo.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Revengeance handles a bunch of the serious/ridiculous Metal Gear stuff better than any Metal Gear game and all that without 30 minute cutscenes and in a game about a faux-ninja cyborg slicing dudes, brains and a dog shaped robot buddy.

Although that last part would fit in any MG game I guess.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

The Jamais Vu mission probably isn't going to be canon, but I'd love to see some interaction between Raiden and the MGSV cast. I kind of want to see what they could do if they completely ignored the timeline just for kicks.
This is why we need a Metal Gear fighting game. :colbert:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Butt Ghost posted:

This is why we need a Metal Gear fighting game. :colbert:

Look how well that turned out for Castlevania. :v:

Seriously though, I always figured Capcom vs Konami would be awesome. Konami's roster would be half MGS half Castlevania, but maybe we could get some fun guys like Goemon or Random Hajile.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

They'd probably also throw in a Harry Mason or Jehuty. Konami acquired Hudson's properties too, so it'd be likely we'd see Bomberman and Master Higgens in there.

(But really, a Metal Gear fighting game is my dream game. To steal some ideas from the Smash thread, imagine Young Ocelot vs MGSV Ocelot vs MGS1 Ocelot vs Liquid Ocelot. They could have a trick off! Or Sam, with custom taunts for every character!)

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 29, 2014

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
AI skull Colonel should be a character.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Ausmund posted:

AI skull Colonel should be a character.

He can float around the screen and shoot words out of his mouth to attack enemies

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Whenever I see someone complain about these games being insane, I ask if they'd keep their peace watching the same thing in an anime. MGS is anime without the art style.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I watched the GZ trailer and it's slick as hell, especially the transition into gameplay. Will we see similar graphical quality on the PS3/360, or even on the PS4?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Butt Ghost posted:

They'd probably also through in a Harry Mason or Jehuty. Konami acquired Hudson's properties too, so it'd be likely we'd see Bomberman and Master Higgens in there.

(But really, a Metal Gear fighting game is my dream game. To steal some ideas from the Smash thread, imagine Young Ocelot vs MGSV Ocelot vs MGS1 Ocelot vs Liquid Ocelot. They could have a trick off! Or Sam, with custom taunts for every character!)

This definitely needs a spectacular Sam vs Vamp battle!

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

NikkolasKing posted:

These kinds of fans are the ones who spent years trying to figure out what color Snake's hair is.

These are the kind of fans that didn't realize there are 3 other games where Snake's hair isn't blond and he has no reason to think he'll be confused with Liquid? 4 if you count MGS2.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Imagine all the crazy grunting, yelling, and screaming that would come from a MGS fighting game. :allears:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Imagine all the crazy grunting, yelling, and screaming that would come from a MGS fighting game. :allears:

Oh God, every time someone dies their name is screamed by one of their allies.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Psycho Mantis has weak attack power, but don't worry, this is balanced with his ability to gently caress with the other players.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 29, 2014

Major INTERSpess
Apr 18, 2013

Call Apogee
Say Aardwolf

Butt Ghost posted:

Psycho Mantis has weak attack power, but don't worry, this is balanced with his ability to gently caress with the other players.

Quick, controller swap!

trash lord
Feb 1, 2012

Hey, bros.
Important leaked dialogue from MGSV. Not spoilery, though.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
There was a shark boss fight originally planned for MGS 2? :stare:

The harrier fight is one of my favourite voice acting bits in the series. David Hayter and John Cygan trying to out-yell each other is great. I'm suprised that there are fans that really dislike MGS 2. It has story telling problems, yes, and it's not as good as MGS 3, but it's still aged pretty well, and has a lot to recommend about it.

I finished MGR - it's a shame Armstrong doesn't have more screen time. Every line of dialogue he has is great. I'm glad the DLC is free, since the Bladewolf DLC is so short that I would have felt ripped off paying for it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

OldMemes posted:

There was a shark boss fight originally planned for MGS 2? :stare:

The harrier fight is one of my favourite voice acting bits in the series. David Hayter and John Cygan trying to out-yell each other is great. I'm suprised that there are fans that really dislike MGS 2. It has story telling problems, yes, and it's not as good as MGS 3, but it's still aged pretty well, and has a lot to recommend about it.

I finished MGR - it's a shame Armstrong doesn't have more screen time. Every line of dialogue he has is great. I'm glad the DLC is free, since the Bladewolf DLC is so short that I would have felt ripped off paying for it.

I played through all of the games in order recently and the one I had played the least beforehand, was MGS2. I didn't have any idea what to expect, but I knew people hated it. GOD drat IS IT AN AWESOME GAME. MGS2 is full on crazycakes and I love it. It takes a while to start ramping up the crazy but when it does, it DELIVERS bigtime.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

I so hope this is in the main game and not a secret theater/blooper reel(like MGS3) or something..

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Detective No. 27 posted:

Look how well that turned out for Castlevania. :v:

Seriously though, I always figured Capcom vs Konami would be awesome. Konami's roster would be half MGS half Castlevania, but maybe we could get some fun guys like Goemon or Random Hajile.

I just noticed that Random Hajile is literally just Sting from David Lynch's Dune.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Improbable Lobster posted:

I just noticed that Random Hajile is literally just Sting from David Lynch's Dune.

Kojima is a noted movie buff. Take a look at the Snatchers (Terminator) or Snake as he looks on the cover of Metal Gear for NES/MSX (Michael Biehn promo shot for Terminator. Or the main characters of Policenauts. They are literally anime versions of Riggs and Murtaugh from Lethal Weapon.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
"Game Designer: 70% of my body is made of movies." Hideo's twitter profile,

His Peace Walker avatar is something very similar, like "70% of me is movies and 30% is whatever you want to do with."

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

OldMemes posted:

The harrier fight is one of my favourite voice acting bits in the series. David Hayter and John Cygan trying to out-yell each other is great.

One of my favorite boss quotes in the series is Solidus' "I'll let you go out in STYLE!"

Butt Ghost posted:

I kinda wanna see MGS2 Raiden vs. MGS4 Raiden vs. MGR Raiden now.

As for potential MGS Fighting Games, Otacon could maybe summon the Mark II to fight for him? His Super Move is falling in love with the opponent as this is guaranteed instant death.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Snake is great in Smash Bros Brawl, and Raiden is one of the best characters in PlayStation All-Stars, so it'd be great to see them in more fighting games. I think there was even a Smash Bros clone on the PS2 which had Snake, Bomberman, and Optimus Prime.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

randombattle posted:

Or if you like the grizzled soldier trying to understand his place in the world stories of MGS1 and 4 the story will also appeal to you I think. It ain't the Godfather but it's definitely smarter then most games.

I felt they dropped that in 4. Snake seemed to just stop caring and felt like he regressed to where he was pre-MGS, which was a bummer because, like you said, his entire arc was him finding purpose and finally living his life.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

grancheater posted:

These are the kind of fans that didn't realize there are 3 other games where Snake's hair isn't blond and he has no reason to think he'll be confused with Liquid? 4 if you count MGS2.

I swear there's a thing which comes up about how Liquid bleaches his hair to avoid confusion between him and Solid, as well. Like, both guys realize they need to differentiate from the other, but they choose totally different Hair Mods to do it with.

Nomad175
Oct 14, 2012

By not beating me, he has beaten me.

Jimbot posted:

I felt they dropped that in 4. Snake seemed to just stop caring and felt like he regressed to where he was pre-MGS, which was a bummer because, like you said, his entire arc was him finding purpose and finally living his life.

Well, to be fair, that's sort of a carry-over from MGS2. MGS1 was about him finding life beyond the mission; MGS2 undid that by making him part of the anti-Metal Gear organization.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I disagree. The most important words in MGS1 are "we're not tools of the government, or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing, the only thing I was good at. But at least I always fought for what I believed in."

The thing about MGS1 Snake is he believed and fought for nothing. He fought just to fight. Liquid points this out when he asks him why he came there and continued on even as he was constantly betrayed and misused by his superiors. Snake is born-and-bred warrior and a part of him can never leave the battlefield. MGS1 is largely about him coming to terms with this side of himself.

MGS2 is about how he found that purpose in his life; a positive and noble way to channel that need for combat. He now fights for a future, a world where people can live without fear o nuclear holocaust. To be frank, MGS2 Solid Snake is the healthiest version of the character. he's stable, articulate and is doing what he believes is right.

MGS4 Snake is just following orders and waiting to die, much like he was at the start of 1.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

NikkolasKing posted:

MGS4 Snake is just following orders and waiting to die, much like he was at the start of 1.

I don't know about this part, I agree with the rest but I felt that Old Snake is just really... tired. He is waiting to die but the only thing stopping him is that he really doesn't know what's going on exactly, and then poo poo starts to hit the fan again and he has to push himself to do it without dying, because nobody else can so he can't afford himself that luxury. The after credit bit was just about him being told that he doesn't have to die to relax, to live life outside of battle.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I really try to hate the MGS4 ending, but seeing Big Boss CQC Snake into a hug almost brings a tear to my eye.

MAN DRAMA

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Butt Ghost posted:

I really try to hate the MGS4 ending, but seeing Big Boss CQC Snake into a hug almost brings a tear to my eye.

MAN DRAMA

Same here but the music plays a huge part. Metal Gear Solid 4 had an amazing soundtrack overall.

Nomad175
Oct 14, 2012

By not beating me, he has beaten me.

NikkolasKing posted:

I disagree. The most important words in MGS1 are "we're not tools of the government, or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing, the only thing I was good at. But at least I always fought for what I believed in."

The thing about MGS1 Snake is he believed and fought for nothing. He fought just to fight. Liquid points this out when he asks him why he came there and continued on even as he was constantly betrayed and misused by his superiors. Snake is born-and-bred warrior and a part of him can never leave the battlefield. MGS1 is largely about him coming to terms with this side of himself.

MGS2 is about how he found that purpose in his life; a positive and noble way to channel that need for combat. He now fights for a future, a world where people can live without fear o nuclear holocaust. To be frank, MGS2 Solid Snake is the healthiest version of the character. he's stable, articulate and is doing what he believes is right.

But Gray Fox's monologue was meant to show how fundamentally hollow his life had been, how he'd tried to make the best of a bad situation.

That's a fundamental aspect of the ending: Snake walks away from it all, something Fox couldn't do. The part where he tells Meryl his real name was him casting off his old life, and moving on; it's fundamentally the same as those '80's action movies where the retired guy comes back because, "he's the only one who can save us," and walks away at the end. The point is: it's over, he's done, he's moving on.

I do agree that MGS2 Snake is definitely the healthiest by a wide margin, but my point was that it was still a backslide from where his character was at the end of MGS1.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

NikkolasKing posted:

MGS4's world is partially a consequence of his actions in 2. Snake is also in an unbelievably unwin-able situation. No matter what he does, he's screwed. May as well clean up what mess he can with whatever time he has left.

quote:

MGS4 Snake is just following orders
He doesn't follow anyone's orders in that game. Everything he did was out of a favor between Campbell and personal obligation. He worked with Otacon, not for him.

Ausmund fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 29, 2014

Major INTERSpess
Apr 18, 2013

Call Apogee
Say Aardwolf

SeANMcBAY posted:

Same here but the music plays a huge part. Metal Gear Solid 4 had an amazing soundtrack overall.

Every metal gear game had an amazing soundtrack*

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Jimbot posted:

The whole point to the MGS4 ending carries over from the ending to MGS, where Snake does what Big Boss failed to do: Fight for much more than himself.

Big Boss even thinks Solid Snake would have been strong enough to resist killing The Boss.

Pretty much big chunks of the MGS4 story is Solid Snake and Otacon working to find ways where they can bring down the Patriots without severing key infrastructure.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ausmund posted:

MGS4's world is partially a consequence of his actions in 2.

In what way? Are you talking about the war economy? That seems to be Raiden's fault. With or without Snake, he would have put in a perfect performance in the S3 Plan and doomed everyone else.

That's another problem I have with MGS4 to be honest. I have no idea why The Patriots' goal of digital control and manipulating every facet of human life was changed to "let's make a bunch of wars."

quote:

Snake is also in an unbelievably unwin-able situation. No matter what he does, he's screwed. May as well clean up what mess he can with whatever time he has left.

He doesn't follow anyone's orders in that game. Everything he did was out of a favor between Campbell and personal obligation. He worked with Otacon, not for him.

Those are fair points.

Butt Ghost posted:

MAN DRAMA

CQC Hug vs. the Handshake Hug

The muic helped a lot there too. Plus it was touching to see Snake offering some comfort to Otacon. It's not something you expect from him ya know.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jan 29, 2014

• Locked thread