Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:
I kept waiting for you guys to go inside the dance studio, but you never did. :(

There's two insane cancers there and I always imagine they're all tuckered out from ballet practice when Heather enters. :3:

I feel like Team Silent decided to put the story on hold for the first couple of hours of the game because the reveal would actually be pretty easy to guess if they dropped any more hints about it. Especially since Silent Hill 3 got advertised as a direct sequel to the first game. (spoilers only to the newest vid, just in case someone ends up on this page first before watching it)

It's pretty sloppy writing to be honest.

Snoop Radley fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Glazius posted:

It is, however, actually possible to get so cool you die

That's the official cause of death given if you die while attempting a 1080 kickflip off a halfpipe.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

So Shark Tank is just Dragons' Den?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
If you need justification for why Heather's stomps do poo poo damage, just assume it's because she has like 50-60 lbs. less stompin' weight than Harry or James.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Mister Chief posted:

So Shark Tank is just Dragons' Den?

Yes it is just the American version with very little if anything changed.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I like what you guys linger on versus what you skip right over.

R.I.P. wheelchair baby flavor text.

Also nice voice acting Vincent. :eyepop:

no_shit_columbo
Jul 26, 2013

I've never played Silent Hill. After watching your LPs, I have no regrets.

Thank you for making it bearable :gbsmith:

Also, does Heather look like Ke$ha to anybody else?

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

ThatPazuzu posted:

Yes it is just the American version with very little if anything changed.
This just means I now get to go watch all of Dragons' Den too. Muahahahaha!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

no_shit_columbo posted:

Also, does Heather look like Ke$ha to anybody else?

Before I leave, brush my teef with a bottle of Health Drink.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

turtlecrunch posted:

I like what you guys linger on versus what you skip right over.

R.I.P. wheelchair baby flavor text.
I liked what happened when they were looking through the art gallery.

Junkfist posted:

Yep, that was the poo poo-myself noise I remember from this game.

Do you go back to that room and see what made it?
I don't think they are going to go back to look at where the scream came from, which is a shame since it is a pretty :wtc: moment when you do

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Are you guys really still bewildered by the nutcracker thing? It's not a nutcracker , it's a nutcracker . For removing nuts from bolts.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I agree with Kyle, Shark Tank is really good. But then again I'm a security management BBA so begging people for money is quite relevant.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 26, 2014

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Are you guys really still bewildered by the nutcracker thing? It's not a nutcracker , it's a nutcracker . For removing nuts from bolts.

I refuse to believe this because the alternative is way funnier.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Yeah, here's the google image search for nutcracker
https://www.google.com/search?q=nut...iw=1745&bih=868
tell me how long you have to scroll down until you find what normal people call a wrench

Radio! posted:

I refuse to believe this because the alternative is way funnier.
Because it's not a real thing

Somethingdumb fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 27, 2014

Supersonic Buddha
Sep 6, 2010

Inertia is a property of matter.

Somethingdumb posted:

Yeah, here's the google image search for nutcracker
https://www.google.com/search?q=nut...iw=1745&bih=868
tell me how long you have to scroll down until you find what normal people call a wrench

I'm kinda with you on this cause that's what I thought it was too, but it's literally the only name for the tool. The nut cracker itself isn't a wrench, it's a tool that's used with a wrench.

So what you do is you put the thing that you want to crack into that spikey death trap then tighten it with the wrench until it breaks.

Also you could totally use it to crack a walnut so that's bullshit.

edit: vvv Oh man, it is totally a nut splitter. Well I take back the crap about it being the only name for it then.

Supersonic Buddha fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 27, 2014

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010
They are actually most commonly known as nut splitters, but yes, nut cracker is a perfectly acceptable name for them. Here's an example: http://www.chain-auto-tools.com/general_auto_tools/AMR713L.htm

Snicker-Snack fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 27, 2014

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
I know those as nut removers, particularly for broken nuts that wouldn't work with a wrench.

anyway, I think its fair to say that based on how fringe a tool that is and on how weird SH is, they definitely were talking about a classic nutcracker.

Somethingdumb fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 28, 2014

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Somethingdumb posted:

anyway, I think its fair to say that based on how fringe a tool that is and on how weird SH is, they definitely were talking about a classic nutcracker.
It doesn't look anything like a classic nutcracker! :mad:

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

01/28/14

Episode 11: Goodnight, Sweet Prince
Well, that was fast.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Since you guys are wondering about it at the start of the episode: The Good+ ending of Silent Hill 1 is not canon, just the regular Good one; the Kaufmann sidequest is because of the stuff it revolves around but saving Cybil is unfortunately not. I don't remember where it was made clear, it might have been in this game! This episode is 40 minutes long so if you figure it out somewhere in here, my apologies.

Alternate explanation: The UFO ending is always canon. Always.

Supersonic Buddha
Sep 6, 2010

Inertia is a property of matter.
We may have raised your expectations a little too high on this one. Well, at least this is the point where the story really picks up.

I don't see what's so likable about Harry as a protagonist, he's a super boring character. The only remarkable thing about him is he's from the first game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, he is a pretty sneaky guy according to Vincent. :v:

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

thought you guys were being like really mean to Keith's girlfriend until i realised it was a dog

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
His name was Harry Mason;
he went there on vacation.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
This is also where the visuals start getting absolutely insane and I hope you guys take some time to look around for the what the gently caress factor.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
"Do they look like chips to you?"

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Your playthrough makes me ashamed at how highly I thought of Silent Hill 3 in recollection.
I'm going to blame the dog for you guys just casually jogging through these locations whereas I was always frightened of what was around the corner.

Any thoughts on SH2 however, aside from it being "the door checking game," are entirely your fault. :regd09:

I agree Harry was the best protag.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The games work better when you're a teenager, see also: Slenderman.

(and also not talking about star wars with your cousin after a decade's worth of improvements in the design of videogame graphics and controls and playing all three games within two years time but that goes without saying)

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:
I'd say story-wise Silent Hill 3 is easily the weakest out of the four original Silent Hill games (before they switched development teams). Four takes the cake when it comes to irritating gameplay, but I found it to actually be the most engaging on story level.

Silent Hill 3 works the best as a series of weird set pieces that you gawk that, and a lot of that is lost when you speed through the environments talking about reality television. Obviously it can't be helped if you're not into that in the first place.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Despite my avatar, I have to agree. Silent Hill 3 on a visual level is as crazy as the PS2-era games ever get. The monsters are gross and the setpieces are either also gross or totally bonkers depending on where you are. On a plot level it's a little bit subdued (by which I mean, the plot really jumps up on you the closer you get to the end). The gameplay is overall an improvement over Silent Hill 2, but like the guys complained about, Heather's stomp not killing downed monsters is a pretty damning change to the combat.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 29, 2014

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I never played SH4 (or any of the ones after) because I saw that trailer...and then it came out and everybody said it sucked and you repeat the same levels over and over again. My expectations sort of imploded on themselves so it just never held interest after that.

And also I didn't own a PS2. I played SH3 on a fat PS3...then it broke, I bought another PS3, and it wasn't able to play PS2 games anymore. :stonk:

So that's my story. Maybe Kyle/Keith will play SH4 so I never have to but I'm not sure there's any point as it's where the series started sucking.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 29, 2014

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
I wouldn't take the money because I'd assume I'd be punished for it. Like the Cave of Wonders, only instead of wonders it's sentient meat monsters wearing go-go boots.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I wasn't paying attention and thought you were asking Heather if she needed to poo poo all over the place.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010

quakster posted:

The games work better when you're a teenager, see also: Slenderman.

(and also not talking about star wars with your cousin after a decade's worth of improvements in the design of videogame graphics and controls and playing all three games within two years time but that goes without saying)

I cannot vouch for the impact of Star Wars discussions with cousins, but I did play all four Team Silent games within the past two years and am indeed no longer a teenager, and I think the impact of age is overemphasized. The things I had problems with in the games (the triteness of the cult plot in general; the excessive obtuseness with which 1's plot is relayed; the lack of logic in many of 3's puzzles on Hard mode; the emphasis on combat in 3; 3's pacing issues; 4's gameplay issues) aren't really the result of the games aging badly - they're mostly the result of decisions that would be considered bad both then and now. (The odd voice/cutscene direction is perhaps a different story, but that didn't quite bother me as much as the aforementioned issues.)

Supersonic Buddha posted:

I don't see what's so likable about Harry as a protagonist, he's a super boring character.

He's kind of charming in his gormless doofiness ("what a wheelchair why would" etc.), and he's driven by love for his daughter, which is a rather refreshing motive for an everyman game protagonist and just kind of :unsmith: in general. Er, that love is not very well-articulated in events next episode, but still.

ETA: VV Being in my thirties, I'm probably one of the older people in the thread.

Blenheim fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 30, 2014

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You generally become more jaded as you get older. I gotta hype up myself and be mildly sleep deprived to get the intended reaction out of Silent Hill these days.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

ThatPazuzu posted:

I wasn't paying attention and thought you were asking Heather if she needed to poo poo all over the place.

I heard something along the lines of "she's licking her own genitals" and was confused and frightened.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

quakster posted:

You generally become more jaded as you get older. I gotta hype up myself and be mildly sleep deprived to get the intended reaction out of Silent Hill these days.

I get mad hyped about games i like, this is not the issue.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Snoop Radley posted:

I'd say story-wise Silent Hill 3 is easily the weakest out of the four original Silent Hill games (before they switched development teams). Four takes the cake when it comes to irritating gameplay, but I found it to actually be the most engaging on story level.

Silent Hill 3 works the best as a series of weird set pieces that you gawk that, and a lot of that is lost when you speed through the environments talking about reality television. Obviously it can't be helped if you're not into that in the first place.

While I'll hold to Silent Hill 2 being the best of the bunch, SH3 actually works really loving well as a sequel and gives the previous Silent Hill story a lot more depth. I think the cinematography in 3 is the best the franchise pulls off, and the off-kilter story and dialog actually convalese into a strangely coherant fable. It's bizarre in a lot of weird places, but 3 is by far the most memorable of the bunch to me--it lacks the focus of 2, but gains a lot better imagery as a result. Plus I really like Heather as a protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_shit_columbo
Jul 26, 2013

Coffee And Pie posted:

I heard something along the lines of "she's licking her own genitals" and was confused and frightened.

Try watching their Mario LP prior and assume that Keith's girlfriend is still in the room.

• Locked thread