Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Bathtub Cheese posted:

I'm really only looking forward to the inevitable stream of howlers that come from DevChat. They can't even get their poo poo together well enough to release a DLC on PC and PS4 that already exists on Xbone platform for "player appreciation" month.

Apparently what happened is that EA cracked the whip over development so it came out to compete with COD and why it was completely broken.

By law they now have to give their employees time off because sweden is 50 years ahead of every one else on this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
They've taken that time off and they're all back to work.

Demize was off for even longer because he went on leave to get married as soon as the game went gold, which means he hasn't been around to review data and address balance issues until now.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

It is a glitch guys, but it's an hilarious one and I'm gonna abuse it til DICE fixes it, just like the M26 DART in BF3.

If we make the playerbase scream about it they might even fix it faster than 3 months!

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

TheRationalRedditor posted:

It's not. The MG4 is a great LMG. The M240B is a great LMG. If you're not using those when in the LMG category, you could be doing much, much better.

Depends on the situation. I almost exclusively play support, and I think you guys are vastly underestimating it. You can see from my usage I know all about the other MGs, but I still like the RPK-74. http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/Duck_King/weapons/175510792/pc/ In the right hands it is a good gun.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Sandweed posted:

It is a glitch guys, but it's an hilarious one and I'm gonna abuse it til DICE fixes it, just like the M26 DART in BF3.

If we make the playerbase scream about it they might even fix it faster than 3 months!

It seems that even if your hyper-focused MAVFLAM squad completely shuts down the enemy's ability to use vehicles, your team will still win or lose based on their propensity to hold points in general. The team that is currently winning will continue to win even if deprived of armor and choppers.

Duck_King posted:

Depends on the situation. I almost exclusively play support, and I think you guys are vastly underestimating it. You can see from my usage I know all about the other MGs, but I still like the RPK-74. http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/Duck_King/weapons/175510792/pc/ In the right hands it is a good gun.

In the right hands every gun is good though? I mean, I hate to be all "look at the stats" but I'm fairly sure that the 74's main advantage is looking badass.

Then again, I have the odd opinion of currently preferring the 249 to the MG4. I'd rather limit the length of my bursts while pulling down than burst longer while pulling down and to the right.

moller fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 29, 2014

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
My point is it's a good weapon to keep a bunch of shots on point, while saturating an area, and fast (for an LMG anyway) reload. I've found you can hold the trigger longer than others and still have your shots land where you want them too, even when zoomed. Longer bursts mean more dead guys, and when not using a bipod, it's a huge benefit.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Target Practice posted:

I'm sorry, but in my opinion MAVLAMing is waaaaaaay less bullshit then some rear end in a top hat in an LB or attack jet that goes 50-4 cause you're team loving sucks.

Haha, oh man. I would so use this as a blurb on the cover of my non-existent book about flying in the battlefield series.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's just goes back to the age old problem of balance in bf games.

I think they really need to come up with some sort of match making or PUG system for the next game. Obviously it wouldn't replace pub servers but just be an option.

I realise there already are PUG's but in my mind they are just "pro" infantry domination type things aren't they? That game mode doesn't need fixing really.

The more I think about it the more I see problems with the idea. The ideal would be having even amounts of pilots and drivers and also even amounts of infantry in each class. Maybe you could have predefined slots or some thing?

The most frustrating thing about bf games is that when it all comes together it's a totally unique and amazing experience. But how often do you actually get? One in ten games or probably even less?

There has to be some way players can be channelled into making things better.

e - If any of you are interested about that EA youtube drama. Jackfrags did a video. None of it sounds that sinister what so ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=311tmt063hw

Jippa fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jan 29, 2014

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Jippa posted:

By law they now have to give their employees time off because sweden is 50 years ahead of every one else on this stuff.

As a Scando-goon, I'll defend them on this. :getin:

About MAVFLAM, when it was first discovered, I tried it a round or two, but got bored of it. I mostly play on decent local servers, and wouldn't want to get banned from them for it. I actually came across the enemy team doing it for the first time yesterday, and it was quite annoying. I called them out in chat and they quit, I think. I did go up in my own MAV to see if I could find their SOFLAM or MAV and take it down, but on Paracel Storm, that's a lot of ground to cover.

About the unlock shortcuts: I already unlocked everything, but I wouldn't cheat myself out of the grind. because I'm a massive masochist, apparently. At some point, the grind does become the game. In BF3 I got bored of the same weapons, so got 500 kills with every primary, and it wasn't too bad. But then again, BF4 does not yet have the CQ maps with 48p SQDM... I probably won't bother in BF4 though.

Platoon sizes: BF3 platoons have 100 people, so I'd assume BF4 platoons would have at least that.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

http://gfycat.com/FailingGrandioseFireant

Literally my entire experience in this loving game.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

As a Scando-goon, I'll defend them on this. :getin:

Yes it's a very good idea.

Gonkish, luckily that hasn't happened to me for ages.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Gonkish posted:

If you are getting hit markers they should die, i'd say that the person is hacking.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

wyoak posted:

It is an exploit, but the SUAV is a joke. Want to counter it? Stay still for two seconds as it flies by, then runs out of battery.

I never tried it myself but I think I saw somewhere that if you're beside an ammo box, the SUAV's battery recharges...

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

How low are you guys flying? You can be up real high and still lase things and spot doritos for your team. The thing that gets me most of the time are jets or sometimes a chopper.

That's boring. Usually if I use the MAV I'm more distracted with blowing up enemy armor or infantry with their own explosives to remember to soflam stuff and usually fly lower. I also chase C4 dirt bikes as best as I can.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Gonkish posted:

That looks dodgy as hell. Not really experienced anything like that though.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Yeah if you watch it in slo-mo the guy does take damage but his health jumps from empty to full a couple of times. Odd.

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014
J4G Crybaby :frogout:

ShiroTheSniper posted:

I never tried it myself but I think I saw somewhere that if you're beside an ammo box, the SUAV's battery recharges...

Think someones pulling your chain. I've never been able to get that to work... unless you need to be holding a button maybe?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I'm getting a little annoyed with the guns in this game.

Pretty much all but two in each class are absolutely useless and there's little point using them unless you enjoy intentionally gimping yourself merely to enjoy how a gun looks.

There's wide differences between the various classes, of course, but I'd like to see unlocks/stats which are weapon specific to help overcome a particular guns issues.

Examples:

G36C (as pointed out by LevelCapGaming) is a modern gun made out of lightweight materials. He points out that the gun is very very average (slow rpm, average bullet spread etc) so maybe it should have a much quicker ADS time. He mentioned the G36C has ammo clips/magazines (don't sperg me, gun nuts) which can clip together for quick reload.

So why not give it better ADS time and a unique unlock for a specific type of magazine/clip which gives quicker reload/larger bullet amount but, to make it a little fairer, make that re-balance unlock take up another unlock slot so you can't have that and a barrel attachment etc.

Same goes for other guns - if they have a weakness, give them an unlock which address that but you have to sacrifice another unlock for it.

And isn't it about time launchers got unlocks? So we can choose to have better lock time vs more damage vs greater range etc.

Edit: And maybe introduce a new grenade unlock which means you can opt to carry NO grenades and instead carry 30/40% more ammo for your main weapon etc.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DICE posted:

UPCOMING BF4 WEAPON TWEAKS
DMRs
1) Increased the damage of all DMRs across all ranges. Specifically, damage has been increased at long ranges to allow three-hit kills against unarmored opponents. Additionally, reduced the penalty to accuracy for sustained DMR fire, allowing more rapid follow up shots in combat. The amount of the damage increase varies from weapon to weapon, according to its intended range, rate of fire, and damage. We will continue to monitor the effectiveness of DMRs in combat, and determine if additional action is needed to make DMRs a viable mid to long range weapon.

Pump Action Shotguns
1) Increased the accuracy of pump action shotguns (870 MCS, HAWK 12g, SPAS-12, and UTS 15) while on the move and aiming. The accuracy has been approximately doubled. These weapons did not have any available barrels or grips that would allow a player to enhance their aimed accuracy. This change should make the use of pump action weapons with slugs much more viable at medium and close range by allowing more accurate fire.

Carbines
1) Reduced the long range damage of the MTAR to bring it in line with the rest of the Carbines.

General
1) Adjusted the way inaccuracy is handled when transitioning from Hip fire to Aimed fire. Previously, if a player began firing before aiming, he would keep his hip inaccuracy while aimed, until he stopped firing. This was especially obvious with LMGs on the move. Players will now only be subject to the maximum aimed inaccuracy after the transition. While still terribly inaccurate, this allows for substantially more accurate fire than the old method and should allow players with LMGs to panic fire in close quarters, provided they are aiming.

2) The Heavy Barrel’s Accuracy bonus now also applies on the move, at a reduced bonus. This should give the Heavy Barrel a wider role for players who desire accuracy while aimed in all situations.

3) Synchronized the timing of the aim down the sights animation of sniper rifles with their ability to fire with full accuracy. Players no longer need to wait for additional time after the aiming animation plays to get accurate shots. There is still a delay to achieve full accuracy, so Quick Scoping is still not possible.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Considering the entire G36 family was HK clumsily trying( and failing) to convince organizations that they needed to buy guns to replace the M16/AR15 family of rifles, it only makes sense that it's completely average and offers no advantages over its competition. :v:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

TheRationalRedditor posted:

It's not. The MG4 is a great LMG. The M240B is a great LMG. If you're not using those when in the LMG category, you could be doing much, much better.
If the stats are right, the RPK-74 has a much lower FSRM than the other mag-feds, which seems like a pretty useful advantage, especially when it's already one of the most accurate LMGs in every other category.

Also the accuracy bonus to HBs sounds like it's going to be a straight buff to any weapon that's primarily hip-fired, since the compensator/brake already suck on them, so have fun with your even-more-accurate MTARs and Skorpions.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 29, 2014

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I still don't understand why :dice: decided to lower the G36's rate of fire from 750 rpm to 650 rpm. Also, if I remember correctly the transparanet clip-on clips are not sold on the export versions of the G36, so the Reload kinda makes sense. (Well, considering how stupid reloading times in this game are anyhow.)

I'd actually pay good money for a game that has a full-sized G36 instead of some smaller variant and also includes the original dualsight.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Randler posted:

I'd actually pay good money for a game that has a full-sized G36 instead of some smaller variant and also includes the original dualsight.
Especially since this is one of the few games that would actually quickly and easily support the dual sight, given the canted/scope combination.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Liking the sound of those changes. But

quote:

Previously, if a player began firing before aiming, he would keep his hip inaccuracy while aimed,
explains so much.

In that vein, the new heavy barrel sounds good, too.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 29, 2014

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

MTAR changes are probably fair but :( my gun :(

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
So every one will be able to unlock all the dmr's and shot guns for this patch. I think that's great. I'm looking forward to having more medium range fights with them on vehicle maps.

I'm not a gun goon what so ever so please don't sneer at me but I always lumped in dmr's with sniper rifles any way. In dayz they just have a gun called a "dmr" which is basically a sniper rifle it just ins't as long range as the m40. You still just snipe with it though.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Generally DMRs will be semi-auto while sniper rifles have a tendency to be single shot. Afaik, the DMR in Day Z is actually just an M14, which was one of the most satisfying guns of BF3.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 29, 2014

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Did we ever get that mumble mess figured out last night after I left? We had 2 different squads on two separate mumbles both called KFS somehow unless someone was just mistaken about the others name. That was fun until the server started making GBS threads itself, I see that happen on Hainan all the time on various servers so I wonder what it is about that map.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

Generally DMRs will be semi-auto while sniper rifles have a tendency to be single shot. Afaik, the DMR in Day Z is actually just an M14, which was one of the most satisfying guns of BF3.

Ah yeah you are right. In dayz they have the "svd camo" as well. Is that just the svd 12 from bf4 with some ghillie stuff on it?

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

OneEightHundred posted:

If the stats are right, the RPK-74 has a much lower FSRM than the other mag-feds, which seems like a pretty useful advantage, especially when it's already one of the most accurate LMGs in every other category.

Also the accuracy bonus to HBs sounds like it's going to be a straight buff to any weapon that's primarily hip-fired, since the compensator/brake already suck on them, so have fun with your even-more-accurate MTARs and Skorpions.

RPM is still one of the most critical stats and at 600 RPM, you're going to get beaten by... virtually every other gun in the game. Meanwhile, the M240B has 50 higher RPM, a lower FSRM and a much higher damage model.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Leb posted:

RPM is still one of the most critical stats and at 600 RPM, you're going to get beaten by... virtually every other gun in the game. Meanwhile, the M240B has 50 higher RPM, a lower FSRM and a much higher damage model.

And much better range.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Jippa posted:

Ah yeah you are right. In dayz they have the "svd camo" as well. Is that just the svd 12 from bf4 with some ghillie stuff on it?

It's probably a Dragunov rifle, the DMR version of the Ak-47.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I'm trying to level Assault and I'm awful at it, what's the gun I should be aiming for? I seem to lose almost every engagement with the starter one.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

WastedJoker posted:

MTAR changes are probably fair but :( my gun :(

only change is to range it will still be a death laser at close range.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm trying to level Assault and I'm awful at it, what's the gun I should be aiming for? I seem to lose almost every engagement with the starter one.

The AK-12 is actually pretty decent when you look at the stats. The SCAR is pretty top notch as well, though the lower magazine size is a bit annoying at first. I unlocked the SAR-21 this weekend and did pretty well with it sans attachments. Oddly the M416 edges it out in nearly every category but I couldn't do poo poo with that one.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Lazyfire posted:

The AK-12 is actually pretty decent when you look at the stats. The SCAR is pretty top notch as well, though the lower magazine size is a bit annoying at first. I unlocked the SAR-21 this weekend and did pretty well with it sans attachments. Oddly the M416 edges it out in nearly every category but I couldn't do poo poo with that one.

If there is one gun that deserves the term death laser its the SAR-21.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

Sandweed posted:

The SAR was my best gun until I got parts for the ACE-23. The SAR is insane especially with its max stability with grips.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

davmo1 posted:

Think someones pulling your chain. I've never been able to get that to work... unless you need to be holding a button maybe?

I can't verify it because I'm at work and can't look at YouTube videos but... It was Major Nelson who told that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EkZIzGyQbs

If I remember correctly, he tells that the battery recharge... ?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Sandweed posted:

I thought things seemed to be going awful well when I switched over. It was also the first time I had seen the "Shoot a man and watch as no hitmarker appears" thing happen, so I figured something had resolved itself on the server shortly after I switched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

ShiroTheSniper posted:

I can't verify it because I'm at work and can't look at YouTube videos but... It was Major Nelson who told that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EkZIzGyQbs

If I remember correctly, he tells that the battery recharge... ?

I'm pretty sure he just means you can get a new one from ammo boxes.

• Locked thread