Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Anyone find a key for this chest in the Vigil?

There's a lever puzzle in one of the southern rooms that I can't quite figure out either (I did find the secret room with the lever though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Mirthless posted:

I get the feeling that the people developing the game didn't necessarily intend for it to be shoehorned into HOMMVI, and tried to make their game as unobtrusively related as possible once that decision came down, only to get overridden in the end by somebody in charge of brand management. Setting it in the same world as the most recent HOMM games worked only in the sense that there's some interesting poo poo in there, but trying to make a plot that actually interacted with and referenced the story of the games ends up making everything kind of stupid. They should have just divorced the two plots and given the players a completely original story in a world that happened to have some dumb poo poo going on on the more grand scale.

That's what I always liked about the earlier Might and Magic games, Xeen especially. If your character ended up saving the world, it was pretty much incidental from the primary goal of the player, which was killing monsters and amassing treasure. You weren't 'thrust into a battle of good vs evil' or whatever. You were just there. If you happened to save a town from an evil ninja dojo or stop an ancient evil superwizard from stealing a spaceship, it was just a nice bonus to all the treasure you were getting. This seems to be where a lot of the more modern attempts at this genre miss the point. The games that seem to understand the plot elements do other terrible things to ruin themselves (I really, really wanted to like Grimrock but not being able to find a sword for three floors in a game where you have to specialize in weapons was horseshit, bad game design. And no shops? Really? Even Wizardry had shops!) and the games that understand the mechanics seem to ruin themselves with plot, or they have a vague enough understanding about both that they just end up making GBS threads out a turd. In the case of MMX, the base game is so good that it covers any deficit in the story, and the story is just unobtrusive enough that you can ignore it if you skip all the cutscenes.

MM6-7 had decent synergy with HOMM2-3's storyline, but they did it better than shoving a deadpan history lesson into the beginning. The story elements ported over were simple enough to make sense on their own, anyway. And it was cool to see the change of perspective between exploring the settings in first person and in the overland map. Sometimes it was just name dropping though.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

dhamster posted:

MM6-7 had decent synergy with HOMM2-3's storyline, but they did it better than shoving a deadpan history lesson into the beginning. The story elements ported over were simple enough to make sense on their own, anyway. And it was cool to see the change of perspective between exploring the settings in first person and in the overland map. Sometimes it was just name dropping though.
Yeah, as someone new to the series (probably a demographic they were shooting for), the boring/generic opening scene and name-dropping lost my attention if anything :( I'm not really paying attention to any of the game's storyline at this point (which is something I typically only do with MMOs). Thankfully, the game is fun :v:

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Geop posted:

Yeah, as someone new to the series (probably a demographic they were shooting for), the boring/generic opening scene and name-dropping lost my attention if anything :( I'm not really paying attention to any of the game's storyline at this point (which is something I typically only do with MMOs). Thankfully, the game is fun :v:

Welcome to the M&M games! The storylines have always been horrible clichefests that even the developers didn't take seriously, so just don't put too much thought into it, it's all about the gameplay itself. Kind of a shame that this one has dialed down the wackiness a bit (The old ones had you meet Captain Picard on his spaceship, for example), but there's still a twinkle here and there. I love the callbacks to the older games you can collect in lore tomes, for example. Also, the crossbowmen using their bows as pogo sticks etc.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Geop posted:

I'm new too. I haven't paid any attention to the lore stuff but the game's pretty much got everything I want in an rpg plus some nice extras.

For example, actually running out of consumables/supplies mid-dungeon and having to make a trip back to town is something I have not done in a long, long time before this game, but something about that is charming. Hell potions from the beginning not still being in my inventory when I beat the game is a welcome change from most modern rpgs.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 29, 2014

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
How does block chance, combined with multiple block attempts, work against a single monster with single or multiple attacks?

Examples:

- The monster has a single attack and it attacks. My Defender has 3 blocks available with 55% chance to block. The dice is rolled, and the "first" block chance fails -- will my other 2 block chances be applied? In other words, is it just a 55% chance to block or is it a 55% chance to block, then if the hit still goes through, another 55% chance to block, and if the hit still goes through, another 55% chance to block on a single hit? Or because the "first" block was rolled against the attack and failed to block, the hit goes through and rolls aren't made for the other 2 block chances? (The latter makes the most sense.)

- The monster has 3 attacks and my Defender has 3 blocks available for a round. I block the first attack. Is there a reduced chance for me to block the second attack and third from the same monster?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've been reading the steam forums and am somewhat shocked at all the whining. The game is too hard? I have died a few times, yes, but only once was it during normal questing.

My first try against the Naga boss I got thrown off the edge. Tried again and beat him.

All the other deaths are to things like the Cyclops: not strong enough yet. Manticore boss, regen was higher than my damage. Got him a few levels later. Level 3 in the lost city: clearly I am too low a level..will go back later.

If a fight is too hard, then go do something else. This isn't a hard game.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dahbadu posted:

How does block chance, combined with multiple block attempts, work against a single monster with single or multiple attacks?

Examples:

- The monster has a single attack and it attacks. My Defender has 3 blocks available with 55% chance to block. The dice is rolled, and the "first" block chance fails -- will my other 2 block chances be applied? In other words, is it just a 55% chance to block or is it a 55% chance to block, then if the hit still goes through, another 55% chance to block, and if the hit still goes through, another 55% chance to block on a single hit? Or because the "first" block was rolled against the attack and failed to block, the hit goes through and rolls aren't made for the other 2 block chances? (The latter makes the most sense.)

- The monster has 3 attacks and my Defender has 3 blocks available for a round. I block the first attack. Is there a reduced chance for me to block the second attack and third from the same monster?

You either block or don't. 3 attacks vs 3 block chances happen as an individual roll for each attack attempt. If you have 3 blocks and 4 attacks incoming from the same mob, you'll only get 3 block attempts.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

I've been reading the steam forums and am somewhat shocked at all the whining. The game is too hard? I have died a few times, yes, but only once was it during normal questing.

My first try against the Naga boss I got thrown off the edge. Tried again and beat him.

All the other deaths are to things like the Cyclops: not strong enough yet. Manticore boss, regen was higher than my damage. Got him a few levels later. Level 3 in the lost city: clearly I am too low a level..will go back later.

If a fight is too hard, then go do something else. This isn't a hard game.

I've basically smoked all the dangerous cave bosses, but holy crap those ravenous ghouls in lost city level 3 are DANGEROUS. SOOO many attacks per round.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Stanley Pain posted:

I've basically smoked all the dangerous cave bosses, but holy crap those ravenous ghouls in lost city level 3 are DANGEROUS. SOOO many attacks per round.

Yep. So far, they are the hardest normal mob I've come up against. One wouldn't be so bad, but they have always been in a group. Admittedly I've only seen them a few times, but right now they are my warning to come back a little later.

I would like to finish my Paladin quest, though.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Stanley Pain posted:

They are. Water spells that reduce the opponent's attacks per round help, or just bring a heavy armor tank that is immune to melee damage and wail on the attack button forever.

The game is a bit harder than the usual bollocks-easy RPGs these days, so I can see why some people complain. I like it BECAUSE it is harder; as someone said earlier, actually having to use consumables and use debuffs is great. In other games they often feel like a waste; why even have debuffs when stuff dies easily without any? Why even implement potions and other consumables if nobody ever needs them? It's a nice change.

VVV I'm playing on warrior. The difficulty there seems pretty spot on; you have to use the stuff you're given, but you don't need to do some ridiculous min-maxing or optimize your party perfectly to make it.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 29, 2014

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Speaking of which, what difficulty are all you guys playing on? I'm having trouble deciding between adventurer or warrior.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I've been playing on Warrior. It's brutal, but in the right way. I fear the game would be too easy on Adventurer because, like in all of these games, it's really, really easy to go off the rails if you have any inkling of what to do.

edit: Like dropbear said, you don't have to minmax to play on Warrior but you also have to play smart and the game rewards you for doing so. Managing consumables is actually really important, gold is hard to come by early on and you can't easily lock down monsters turn after turn after turn.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

-Blackadder- posted:

Speaking of which, what difficulty are all you guys playing on? I'm having trouble deciding between adventurer or warrior.

I think a lot of people in this thread are on Warrior, but I've seen some mention playing on Adventurer too. From what I've heard, Warrior seems to require more careful planning of your party, and Adventurer doesn't require as much min maxing but enables your party to snowball in power more in the late-game.

Warrior might not be all that bad if you make use of the tips in this thread, Adventurer gives you more freedom to develop your party as you like in exchange for the difficulty dropping off at high levels.

Spome unrelated questions: How would one allocate stats effectively for a hybrid class, or a fighter? How much investment perception would a party of just Warrior/Caster classes need, if only to access all the secret doors? A viable stat path for casters seems to be pretty well figured out in this thread (spirit to a reasonable mana pool, then a mix of spirit/magic), but I'm not really sure what I'm doing with my Defender and Blade Dancer, or what I would do if I had a Hunter or Crusader in my party.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dropbear posted:

They are. Water spells that reduce the opponent's attacks per round help, or just bring a heavy armor tank that is immune to melee damage and wail on the attack button forever.

The game is a bit harder than the usual bollocks-easy RPGs these days, so I can see why some people complain. I like it BECAUSE it is harder; as someone said earlier, actually having to use consumables and use debuffs is great. In other games they often feel like a waste; why even have debuffs when stuff dies easily without any? Why even implement potions and other consumables if nobody ever needs them? It's a nice change.

Yeah I love the difficulty. It's always been the thing I liked about the M&M series. Exploring the world always meant you could die just around the next corner.

As far as those ravenous ghouls go I don't have a heavy tank. Both my melee damage dealers are evade tanks, which they evade really well. Problem is that those filthy ghouls get more attacks the lower HP they are and the more they've missed. On a bad roll one can take out any character because they're hitting for 8+ attacks in a round :gonk: Just GM'd my ice magic guy and my light magic guy so we'll see how that goes.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I started out blind with Warrior. It was pretty difficult at first, but it wasn't like "first time playing dark souls" difficult or anything. I wouldn't bother with adventurer at all. Warrior feels just right.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Ravenous ghouls are particularly hard because you're tempted to do them earlier than you should. Most of the promotion quests aren't possible until post-blessing of air, but you can get the bits necessary for crusader as soon as you have access to karthal. The other area they show up with frequency is lost city 3, which is really poorly numbered, because you can actually got from 2 -> 4 and 4 is roughly as difficult as 2. 3 is the holding place for a specific quest's miniboss: The Curse.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Does poison ever wear off on its own?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Gort posted:

I don't think so but then again it does too much to let it just keep going so hard to say.

I've restarted my party a couple times already trying to find a setup I like; starting with two mages seems like it will pay off later but early on you just don't have the mana capacity to really use it well. Might try a Crusader-Barb-Bladedancer-Druid group out next. This game is definitely a good reminder of how much fun I had with Xeen back in the day.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Honestly, if you've ever played this sort of game (or any older RPG) before I'd go with warrior. It's tough but fair, you just have to not be afraid to know when to fall back and come back later.

Now that I'm really enjoying myself, I'm preparing myself for the news that sales weren't good enough for M&MXI. If that's the case, at least we got one last real Might & Magic. :3:

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Fintilgin posted:

Honestly, if you've ever played this sort of game (or any older RPG) before I'd go with warrior. It's tough but fair, you just have to not be afraid to know when to fall back and come back later.

Now that I'm really enjoying myself, I'm preparing myself for the news that sales weren't good enough for M&MXI. If that's the case, at least we got one last real Might & Magic. :3:

Yeah. It feels good to say this for goddamned once after being disappointed so many times on various games that try to dig some classics back from the grave, but this really does live up to it's predecessors. It isn't perfect, and it isn't as good as, say, World of Xeen.. But it is really good and scratches the exact same itch.

And by that I mean the gameplay itself; the gazillion bugs and the godawful engine are an entirely different issue, but maybe modders will figure something out!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Gort posted:

As far as I can tell, no. Get a point in earth magic and buy Cure Poison ASAP. Before you go into the well if you can manage it. You will never have enough antidotes to cure all the poisonings you're going to get, especially once you get to the bandit dungeons. Brigands will poison the poo poo out of your party.

quote:

And by that I mean the gameplay itself; the gazillion bugs and the godawful engine are an entirely different issue, but maybe modders will figure something out!

Man, all of the Xeen games had bugs in abundance, both major and minor. If anything, this just makes the experience more true to the original!

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 29, 2014

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm playing Adventurer because I want to "breeze through". I bought the GOG MM1-6 special at 2.75$ and I want to play them now...

... Is that suicide? Is MM1-4 aged well? I heard 5-6 was still ok.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Mirthless posted:

Man, all of the Xeen games had bugs in abundance, both major and minor. If anything, this just makes the experience more true to the original!

They did? I'm not sure if the version I played was patched up or something, but I don't think I ran into any - then again, it's been ages since I played the Xeen games. M&M 7 & 8, now those I had tons of similar performance issues with, especially since GPUs (3d-cards, as they were called back here) were a new concept and especially the M&M games seemed to have a pretty hard time dealing with them.

ShiroTheSniper posted:

I'm playing Adventurer because I want to "breeze through". I bought the GOG MM1-6 special at 2.75$ and I want to play them now...

I'd say 3-5 have aged brilliantly, although the UI can be a bit clunky. 6 to 8 less so, but they're still very playable. 1-2 were too janky for me.

EDIT: I just turned the texture quality to very high just to see how bad the performance gets, and if I'm not going crazy, it actually improved. I don't even understand anymore, this engine is madness itself.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 29, 2014

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Yeah, 3-5 aged pretty well. I would suggest learning keyboard shortcuts for it since mouse control is annoying. I also don't recall them being very buggy beyond the double shot bug and being able to shoot/close door before things get to react.

Via keyboard shortcuts the UI clunkiness is almost entirely bypassed.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Sloober posted:

I don't think so but then again it does too much to let it just keep going so hard to say.

I've restarted my party a couple times already trying to find a setup I like; starting with two mages seems like it will pay off later but early on you just don't have the mana capacity to really use it well. Might try a Crusader-Barb-Bladedancer-Druid group out next. This game is definitely a good reminder of how much fun I had with Xeen back in the day.

Barbarian is kinda poo poo until you upgrade him to Marauder and that could take a while. Druids are poo poo altogether, get a runepriest instead.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

m-o-o-n posted:

Barbarian is kinda poo poo until you upgrade him to Marauder and that could take a while. Druids are poo poo altogether, get a runepriest instead.

I haven't tried a runepriest, but at least my druid has been pulling my party through all kinds of mad poo poo. Regeneration and poison spray get crazy good when you level earth magic and he gets to wear medium armor so he isn't hacked to pieces in one shot either. Also, liquid membrane.

Space Turtle
Mar 1, 2007

SPOOON!!!
I'm playing Adventurer difficulty and it is by no means easy. I think no matter what you choose the game will still throw some challenge your way.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

m-o-o-n posted:

Druids are pretty much the exact opposite of poo poo. Nurture and GM water are much better support than GM light. Nurture is 1 action for 4 direct heals over 4 turns. It's a superHoT that full heals whatever it targets. GM water has liquid membrane (25% damage reduction for 10 turns is easily achievable), tsunami (aoe knockback for hard hitting poo poo), and -1 attacks baked into their damage, which can drastically lower damage output of anything that attacks more than once.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

Once you finish the forge (fought and won vs. the earth lord elemental), finish the quest at the castle, which should then open up the blocked bridge. If the bridge remains locked, you need to make sure that the game is fully updated and activated in uplay since you're running an older/not activated version, or potentially :filez: :shobon:, or try the following http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/826555-Important-Notice-if-you-can%92t-access-Act-2?s=fd3b458a87c31626248eb28a095729ad

Thanks, I was running a not activated version (because gently caress Uplay, that's why), that was probably the problem. Downloaded the Uplay-version from Steam now, but I can't get the savegames imported...

The savegames are in "Save002.sav" format (plus a "saves.ini"), while the Uplay-version seems to save things in multiple files with different names ("2.save" + "2.save.metadata"). I've tried just renaming the files to match Uplay's system, but no luck. Any suggestions?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

So I can't play until I get my computer repaired, but how would a Crusader/Freemage/Shaman/Scout party fare?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Sloober posted:

Yeah, 3-5 aged pretty well. I would suggest learning keyboard shortcuts for it since mouse control is annoying. I also don't recall them being very buggy beyond the double shot bug and being able to shoot/close door before things get to react.

Via keyboard shortcuts the UI clunkiness is almost entirely bypassed.

Those games were buggy as hell! MM3 was mostly just cheaty exploits like the double shot bug, strafing not allowing enemies to act, and fleeing at strategic points to swim in deep water without any skills, but 4 and 5 both had a myriad of bugs that could CTD, prevent you from completing quests, made riddles impossible, and even a couple that would come up when combining the two games. There was also a bug with one of the two where you could crash upon finishing the game, before viewing the ending sequence. I think we got really used to bugs back then and just sort of wrote it off as part of the experience, since patching was so uncommon. When you go back and actually play these games, it becomes really apparent how unpolished they were.

Oh, and the spelling mistakes. Oh my god, the spelling mistakes.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Whoa, upgrading to master air magic was.. quite the jump. With Sparks / Lightning Bolt my character would do something around 50 damage to everyone in a group, 100-200 to one. Chain lightning seems to do 300-700 to a group! :stare:

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Any way to force this thing to run with higher-quality textures on a 32-bit OS? As is, it's capped at medium, which looks terrible.

On an unrelated question, anyone know if scholar hirelings stack? I've got the one who comes with a quest, but there's a second you can hire in Karthal. And there doesn't seem to be any other hirelings(with the possible exception of the treasure hunter) that are even remotely as good.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

The Insect Court posted:

Any way to force this thing to run with higher-quality textures on a 32-bit OS? As is, it's capped at medium, which looks terrible.

On an unrelated question, anyone know if scholar hirelings stack? I've got the one who comes with a quest, but there's a second you can hire in Karthal. And there doesn't seem to be any other hirelings(with the possible exception of the treasure hunter) that are even remotely as good.

I like the chef myself; it gives a +10% bonus to your main stats for ~200 turns after you rest, so the bonus is on almost constantly, and can be pretty hefty.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

There's chef (+10% stats), dog (secrets), treasure hunter (LOOT LOOT LOOT), appraiser (if you somehow don't have expert prime), and the doctor (actionless debuff dispels). There's probably a few other good ones that I'm forgetting.

Dar
Oct 22, 2000

ShiroTheSniper posted:

I'd skip 1 unless you are hardcore nostalgic for 80s era RPGs. 2 is good if you emulate the Genesis version, they actually did a really nice port that is way better than the PC version. 3 4 and 5 are still excellent and have aged really well. 6-9 are just way too ugly for me to even bother playing, also don't like the new party system of those games that is unfortunately perpetuated in 10.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Dar posted:

6-9 are just way too ugly for me to even bother playing, also don't like the new party system of those games that is unfortunately perpetuated in 10.

What do you mean by a new party system? Like, classes getting promotions, or..?

Also, a tip for people playing on the Warrior difficulty - use those drat wards! My brain went "hey, those warding spells are probably meant to be used" a bit late, which probably made the early game quite a bit harder. Especially groups of monsters that do elemental area damage are much easier with an element ward + arcane ward on.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Narrow class variety and only 4 characters. I didn't like that part of the games either, for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
The secret to murdering the hell out of Ravenous Ghouls is Chain Lightning.

Goddamn, I thought it'd be nearly as useless as D&D style Chain Lightning, but NOPE. It gets stronger when you're fighting more enemies. My freemage has managed to hit 600+ damage crits before with a Chain Lightning against three targets. Such an awesome spell.

• Locked thread