Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Man this game.

It's amazing how fast it went from "interesting but flawed" to "Coleman Francis's Nightmare Before Christmas: Oogie's Revenge".

I'm probably being too hard on it, but drat that level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I could go for some deep hurting right about now.

spooky attic
Jun 17, 2009

Ineffective at haunting cartridges.
How are you still sane after that?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
How are you supposed to get a better time on that? I mean the skeleton fight added a lot, but just about everything there is there to pad out the game.

I get the feeling they designed the levels in chronological order and ran out of ideas maybe back at the mad scientist one.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
So does this game get cool at any point, or does it just continue on this track until Voidburger and Kamoc claw their own eyes out just so they have something to talk about?

Pompitous
Nov 4, 2009

Space Cowboy

dijon du jour posted:

So does this game get cool at any point, or does it just continue on this track until Voidburger and Kamoc claw their own eyes out just so they have something to talk about?

If this happens it'll be the most meta Silent Hill Let's Play I've ever seen.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

How are you supposed to get a better time on that? I mean the skeleton fight added a lot, but just about everything there is there to pad out the game.

I get the feeling they designed the levels in chronological order and ran out of ideas maybe back at the mad scientist one.

Yeah, no kidding. This game's just been coasting ever since the Doctor level and even then it was running out of steam fast.

I got a kick out of Corpse Kid only just now noticing the Soul Robber. "Hey Jack what's that thing on your arm that's been there for the whole game?"

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, no kidding. This game's just been coasting ever since the Doctor level and even then it was running out of steam fast.

I got a kick out of Corpse Kid only just now noticing the Soul Robber. "Hey Jack what's that thing on your arm that's been there for the whole game?"

My family has like zero situational awareness so I don't even notice that kind of thing anymore. It's just, "Oh, yeah, took 'em a month and a half to notice the grody slime thing on Jack's arm, same old same old."

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

dijon du jour posted:

Depends on your definition of "cool." Really, most of the levels that are almost cool in concept end up being filled with total gameplay bullshit that ruins any coolness that was present. In two episodes, we get to see one of the most bullshit levels that most often makes people quit playing! :D

azren
Feb 14, 2011

abbic posted:

How are you still sane after that?

They aren't. They wouldn't be doing this to begin with if they were sane.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Man, the Games Challenge thread should do an all A-rank run of this game.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Discendo Vox posted:

I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Afraid of Audio posted:

I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy.

I would! I am a spiteful, hateful man who delights in the suffering of my adversaries.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Discendo Vox posted:

It's actually quite easy to A and S-rank the whole game! The game remembers each rank separately, so if you get a few non-A/S's in your roundup at the end of the level, you can go back and just focus on those specific problem areas. If you get an S, S, D, D, then follow with a D, D, S, S, the game will count it as an S, S, S, S and give you the figurine for the level (well, it would have done it for A rank too, but you get the idea.)

Though if you want straight-A/straight-S ranks in one go, that would be a pretty huge challenge.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

VoidBurger posted:

It's actually quite easy to A and S-rank the whole game! The game remembers each rank separately, so if you get a few non-A/S's in your roundup at the end of the level, you can go back and just focus on those specific problem areas. If you get an S, S, D, D, then follow with a D, D, S, S, the game will count it as an S, S, S, S and give you the figurine for the level (well, it would have done it for A rank too, but you get the idea.)

Though if you want straight-A/straight-S ranks in one go, that would be a pretty huge challenge.

Oh man, I had no idea it worked like that! Did I miss you mentioning it in one of the videos? Does that mean we'll see the magickal reward for getting all Ses?

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I am broken. I read the rank comments and my first thought was how it would sound when the rank was vocalised.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Discendo Vox posted:

Does that mean we'll see the magickal reward for getting all Ses?
You're already lookin' at it in these past few videos: It's the Phantom Jack costume! (What a let-down, right...?)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh god, pausing and using items from the inventory? As a central game mechanic?

Voidboigah, I am so sorry you're having to go through this.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Today, in something completely unrelated to this game or the movie it's based on, I discovered a company Jack would be most interested in.

Hangzhou Wahaha Group (Wikipedia)

(From a random tweet.)

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
WELP we're losing it I think.

Youtube (full commentary)
PolsyBlip (cut commentary)

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
So, does the boss have less health, or are you just expected to do the same fight but minus the DDR segments that actually do good damage?

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I like that when Jack talks to Igor it kind of looks like he's lovingly caressing his head.

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 29, 2014

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

heenato posted:

So, does the boss have less health, or are you just expected to do the same fight but minus the DDR segments that actually do good damage?
I think it's the same amount of health...? I'm not sure and I can't check if anyone else knows because there's literally only two GameFAQs for this game and they don't mention any difference in health, welp.

EDIT: In the update today, I complained about my thread not being rated yet aaaaaand I just looked now and it's rated so I look like a donkus. Oh well, THANKS FOR THE GOLD THREAD, cool dudes!

VoidBurger fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 29, 2014

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!

VoidBurger posted:

I think it's the same amount of health...? I'm not sure and I can't check if anyone else knows because there's literally only two GameFAQs for this game and they don't mention any difference in health, welp.
So the only thing changed about the boss is that it takes longer. This game just keeps getting better.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
And to think, I was regretting accidently selling this game, before having a chance to play it.
Regrets, no more! :v:

ScotchDK
Aug 14, 2008

mmmh, smooth...

ThatPazuzu posted:

I like that when Jack talks to Igor it kind of looks like he's lovingly caressing his head.

And yet Igor's sentence sounds so patronizing, as if Jack was his dog. With the amount of fetching in this game, he might as well be.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I can't help but notice the fact that Devil May Cry happened to also have a giant spider boss that you ending up fighting more than once.

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012
A better joke would have been Sherlock Bones.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Garbonix posted:

A better joke would have been Sherlock Bones.

Elementary, my dear WAHA~!tson.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Elementary, my dear WAHA~!tson.

Look what you've done, Kamoc. Look what you've started.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Look what you've done, Kamoc. Look what you've started.

Oh the WAHAmanity!

And, sorry, VB, I usually save my ratings for closer to thread ends. It helps ameliorate the heartbreak when a LP dies prematurely.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Spiders? In MY manhole? It's more likely than you think.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Ariong posted:

Spiders? In MY manhole? It's more likely than you think.

"Igor was eating Bone" was an awkward break.

Diogenes Bub
Jun 21, 2013
Goddammit Voidburger, when you said ragdoll pussy I laughed so hard I think I woke up my neighbors.

This game is so disappointing. The characters and world are recreated so faithfully with a really decent amount of detail, (I love how Jyack moves), but the gameplay is so... :geno:
I guess that's why there's not a lot to say.
(except waa-haa!)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Keep your chin up, Voidburger. Boss refights are one thing. But the same music? It would break a lesser LPer.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Glazius posted:

Keep your chin up, Voidburger. Boss refights are one thing. But the same music? It would break a lesser LPer.

But, if Voidburger was a lesser LPer, we wouldn't be here.

(I reserve the right to reverse said compliment unless she posts something soon.)

(And, yes, I realize I have no real right to say that, but I will anyway. My life is sadly lacking Voidawesomeness. I don't know WAAHAAt to do.)

Diogenes Bub
Jun 21, 2013
So Voidburger, can we expect some sweet LP collaboration shenanigans now that you and Zoe Quinn are awesome twitter buddies?
A Depression Quest LP with developer commentary would be sooo interesting.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
But Voidburger is already doing an lp of a depressing quest. Its name is Oogie's Revenge and its soul-crushing saminess. :smith:

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Diogenes Bub posted:

So Voidburger, can we expect some sweet LP collaboration shenanigans now that you and Zoe Quinn are awesome twitter buddies?
A Depression Quest LP with developer commentary would be sooo interesting.
Maybe once Zoe makes A REAL GAME, AM I RIGHT?????????????

Expect a longish update (well, long for this game, so like 20+ minutes) sometime this week. sometime NEXT week?? Bob and I are pretty busy with that dreaded work/other projects/life combo, so it might be a little difficult to get together for commentary.

Edit: Sorry, work comes first :(

VoidBurger fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
That's it, lads, we lost her. She couldn't handle it any longer. I was amazed she stuck through ShatMemz like she did, but it appears she's finally met her match. RIP, Voidburger. We WILL remember you.

• Locked thread