Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

MourningView posted:

A Michigan Man would never be allowed to intimidate and threaten a rape victim, unless he's, like, really good at protecting the QB's blind side.

-Bo Schembechler.

Do you have a source for that quote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Neodoomium posted:

Dude you should see how they're reacting to this on mgoblog. For all the guffawing they did about Penn State's fans, they sure are quick to jump right in that boat with them when it's one of theirs.

(do not look at mgoblog's comments)

I don't think I've ever been more disgusted by the MGoBoard.
I thought that there might be a handful of morons who would presume Gibbons' guilt. I never dreamed that there'd be this sort of mass freakout.

Let's review:
  • This matter was investigated by police, under the glare of press coverage, back in 2009.
  • Gibbons, per the police report, cooperated in the investigation, without securing counsel or claiming any privilege against self-incrimination.
  • No criminal charges were ever filed.
  • No civil case was ever filed by the alleged victim.
  • The matter has been kept alive, if that can even be the right term, in the public eye by one Douglas Smith, a retired university employee who blogs as the "Washtenaw Watchdog." Smith has made a second career out of more or less regularly showing up at Regents meetings, city council meetings, etc. to pursue his crackpot peeves about all manner of personal grievances.
So now, with no real adjudication of any kind, we see the MGoBoard (and assuredly, most of the Western World) presuming that Brendan Gibbons was guilty of sexual assault. It is sickening to me. Who needs a judge or a jury? Evidence schmevidence. Verdict now, trial later. Or maybe not. Who needs a trial?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dattserberg posted:

Do you have a source for that quote?

From the way Michigan fans carry on he is the moral compass for the entire university so I am extrapolating a tad.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Is Bo Schembechler some dead white football coach or something?

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

MourningView posted:

From the way Michigan fans carry on he is the moral compass for the entire university so I am extrapolating a tad.

Oh, it was a joke. I just thought what you said was funny for the reasons you listed above.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Is Bo Schembechler the Paterno-esque figure I believe him to be (minus the rape) (I hope)

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Declan MacManus posted:

Is Bo Schembechler the Paterno-esque figure I believe him to be (minus the rape) (I hope)

There hasn't been the institution-shaking revelation about him yet, so by and large Michigan fans continue to revere him as a demigod. I allow myself to look back on him very fondly until I'm given a reason not to, even though his tenure led directly to us fans considering a double reverse sweep to be the pinnacle of trickery.

"Whoa! He FAKED handing it off! Is that even legal?"

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

Bo is a revered figure when speaking of Michigan football. He did a lot to get the program to it's current level as a hallmark football university.

As the GM of the Detroit Tigers, that's another story. He fired Ernie Harwell, therefore he probably lacks a soul.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Neodoomium posted:

There hasn't been the institution-shaking revelation about him yet, so by and large Michigan fans continue to revere him as a demigod. I allow myself to look back on him very fondly until I'm given a reason not to, even though his tenure led directly to us fans considering a double reverse sweep to be the pinnacle of trickery.

"Whoa! He FAKED handing it off! Is that even legal?"

Actually amusingly his offense was a lot closer to what Rich Rod was doing than it was to what the stodgy traditionalists want and what Hoke keeps talking about doing. They're really worshipping at the alter of Lloyd Carr when it comes to actual football stuff.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

MourningView posted:

Actually amusingly his offense was a lot closer to what Rich Rod was doing than what the stodgy traditionalists want and what Hoke keeps talking about running. They're really worshipping at the alter of Lloyd Carr when it comes to actual football stuff.

That's true. Anthony Carter being a major example of the dynamic offenses Michigan would run out there.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
I was in the band when they filmed some stupid short for ESPN with Bo and Nick Lachey. Bo talked to us a little bit and lamented the days when women weren't allowed in the band and how the world isn't a "man's world" anymore. It was like hanging out with my angry racist grandma. So, big surprise, he's just a big dumb Paterno who no one should be looking up to as a role model. Good at coaching football doesn't mean we should build statues and shrines.

This whole ordeal has been really stupid and embarrassing. I'm pissed that Hoke and Brandon just sat on this poo poo with hand-wavey "let the legal process play out." People should be fired over this poo poo but they'll just do the Notre Dame thing and nothing will happen. I'm really starting to hate this Hoke-Brandon regime and I would be happy to see them both gone.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Declan MacManus posted:

Pretty much, but all of his institutional stuff was largely done behind the scenes. The program was very close-knit, didn't speak out against the program in public, the ties to alumni were strong, and the team was kept as controversy-free as possible.

The general consensus is that in the Schembechler years, Gibbons wouldn't have stayed on the team in 2009, and Lewan would've been pushed to potentially the point of quitting for being a dumbass. It would not have been a public thing, but the player would have been dismissed and expelled for something ambiguous like a violation of team rules. Players got kicked off or expelled for team rules over any kind of criminal activity, so that kind of thing hardly ever happened.

The main difference between Paterno and Schembechler, other than the obvious, is that Paterno made a large public deal about how morally upright his program was. Bo, on the other hand, only brought it up when controversy came to him, starting with a couple seniors signing with agents in the '80s.

MourningView posted:

Actually amusingly his offense was a lot closer to what Rich Rod was doing than it was to what the stodgy traditionalists want and what Hoke keeps talking about doing. They're really worshipping at the alter of Lloyd Carr when it comes to actual football stuff.

Bo actually liked Rich Rodriguez, and his offense. However, Bo died one year before Rich Rod was hired.

Of the big wide receivers in recent Michigan history, there's a big gap between the Moeller wideouts (Desmond Howard, Amani Toomer) and the guys from the last decade (Braylon Edwards, Mario Manningham). Once Lloyd got the coaching job after Moeller was forced to resign, the offense was largely structured around one running back and one major wideout until 2005 or so. Michigan's running backs were Anthony Thomas from 1997-2000, Chris Perry from 2000-03, and Mike Hart from 2004-07, with the offense running through those guys. There was not much variation in Michigan's offense, until someone graduated out.

Dattserberg posted:

Bo is a revered figure when speaking of Michigan football. He did a lot to get the program to its current level as a hallmark football university.

As the GM of the Detroit Tigers, that's another story. He fired Ernie Harwell, therefore he probably lacks a soul.

The story around Ann Arbor is that Tom Monaghan, the founder of Domino's Pizza and then owner of the Tigers, hired Bo to be the team president, after Schembechler retired from Michigan. Monaghan wanted to make lots of changes in the marketing department, and Bo thought taking the public criticism would be the honorable thing to do. Instead, Monaghan made him the fall guy, and fired him by fax on his wedding anniversary while his wife was dying of cancer.

The lesson, as always, is that Michigan athletics should never listen to executives from Domino's Pizza and their marketing strategies.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
The really interesting/horrifying part of this to me is whether the school actually did anything to stop the investigation/hide evidence/whatever or if there simply wasn't enough evidence for a criminal prosecution.

If it's door #1 a whole bunch of people should get fired and thrown in jail. If it's door #2 we just get to be sad about the fact that a guy who probably raped someone and his buddy(ies?) who sided with him and threatened the victim were never so much as suspended, much less booted out of school.

Given that we're talking about college football I kind of automatically assumed it's the worst case scenario which is awfully depressing in itself.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Because we're not spending enough time talking about rapes: Ole Miss CB Bobby Hill was arrested for sexual battery. Let us remember that all boys are presumed right until proven ain't.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Because we're not spending enough time talking about rapes: Ole Miss CB Bobby Hill was arrested for sexual battery. Let us remember that all boys are presumed right until proven ain't.

Was he part of the group shouting homophobic slurs at the theatre?

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe
Bo Schembechler has been dead for 7 years, how he would have handled it means jack poo poo. How Brandon, Hoke, and RichRod have handled it is the only thing that matters

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Reminder that MGoBlog is the blog that harassed the organizer of a HS football all-star game for including a QB who was committed to Michigan State at the time.

LARGE THE HEAD fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 30, 2014

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Reminder that MGoBlog is the blog that harassed the orgenizer of a HS football all-star game for including a QB who was committed to Michigan State at the time.

As I recall the whole thing was skeezy because the guy wasn't even invited to the game until MSU started recruiting him. It wasn't that it was MSU per se, it was that it smacked of conflict of interest and illegal recruiting.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
You'd be surprised at how often stuff like that happens

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Brian should just make a new site with no comment section or message board and also never attempt humor.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Dangitt Bobby!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Spintzel posted:

Dangitt Bobby!

Bill obviously put him up to it.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Brian should just make a new site with no comment section or message board and also never attempt humor.

this! but also stop whining about the stadium playing music!

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

:toot:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Detroit_Dogg posted:

He can be a funny dude when he's not leaning on lolcats or something similar. He just does that a lot.

Oodles of Wootles posted:

Bo Schembechler has been dead for 7 years, how he would have handled it means jack poo poo. How Brandon, Hoke, and RichRod have handled it is the only thing that matters

I was just using him as shorthand for the whole Michigan Man thing.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 30, 2014

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pfff, when was the last time Georgia Tech did anything of value?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

While its funny, it would have been better coming from Bama, LSU, or Florida. Tell me all about your BCS wins Texas A&M :allears:.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
A&M is the gift that keeps on giving.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Other schools in our half of the country have won a bunch of championships. Kiss their rings you dirty Northerners. :smug:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Detroit_Dogg posted:

A&M is the gift that keeps on giving.

They're an SEC tradition

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Reminder that Sagarin and Massey both rated Texas' 2013 strength of schedule higher than A&M's. And A&M claims a national championship based on Sagarin so clearly he's very legit.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MourningView posted:

Actually, Dave Brandon's biggest selling point when he became the AD was that he played for Bo, and that he's a Michigan Man that understands what it means and all of that.

On another note, dog mascots

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

swickles posted:

While its funny, it would have been better coming from Bama, LSU, or Florida. Tell me all about your BCS wins Texas A&M :allears:.

Learning to ride Alabama's coattails is a key part of being a SEC member; they're just trying to fit in.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Thermos H Christ posted:

Reminder that Sagarin and Massey both rated Texas' 2013 strength of schedule higher than A&M's. And A&M claims a national championship based on Sagarin so clearly he's very legit.

Reminder that gently caress Texas.

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe

MourningView posted:

I know, my point is the same as yours. They venerate Bo the same as PSU does Paterno.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

AsInHowe posted:

On another note, dog mascots

If only UGA would stop inbreeding our mascot's bloodline so we can stop ending up with a dog that looks like it wants to die at any given moment:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Wittek transferring from USC.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

KKKLIP ART posted:

If only UGA would stop inbreeding our mascot's bloodline so we can stop ending up with a dog that looks like it wants to die at any given moment:

This is how you breed a bulldog mascot:

As cute as Dubs? No, but makes up for it with pure awesomness and longetivity (sorry Uga).

Also, I will be opening nominations for The 4th Annual Ben Roethlisberger Douche of the Year Tournament on Monday, as Sunday is the official close of all good football.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

He's had a rough career but somehow managed not to improve one bit in his four years at USC. Go FCS, young man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Reminder that MGoBlog is the blog that harassed the organizer of a HS football all-star game for including a QB who was committed to Michigan State at the time.

In MgoBlog's defense that guy was a real bad QB and I think he's dead or something now

• Locked thread