Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jack's Flow posted:

Doppelganger talk. Mark Price JJ Redick. I guess. Had one game in high school where I made 11-of-14 3-point shots. Good passer. Horrible defender who gambled on steals, and was really bad when it came to blocking out his guy. Also, my coach once berated me for not fouling enough because I averaged less than two fouls per game. More fouls = better than!

All of this explains my unconditional love for players like Ben Gordon.

edit: Downgraded my doppelganger because I basically just ran around and came off screens.

I definitely had coaches who thought that if you weren't committing fouls then it was a sign you weren't putting forward a good enough effort on defense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Who is the worst player in the league? That's me.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mine is Anthony Bennett because I am comically inept at playing basketball.

e: and any team that picks me up instantaneously regrets it

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 30, 2014

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
Guess I'm Nazr Mohammed. Unathletic, no touch, but I'm tall, will set screens and rebound.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I play like Ben Gordon. When I get the ball it's going to the rim so you might as well go ahead and get in for the rebound.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Who is the guttiest scrappiest hustlingest player that is actually really lazy and doesn't deserve any of those monikers because that's me.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Doltos posted:

Who is the guttiest scrappiest hustlingest player that is actually really lazy and doesn't deserve any of those monikers because that's me.

Derek Fisher?

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Intruder posted:

Nothing feels worse than beating a guy then blowing the layup

This is me.

In terms of doppelgangers, I guess I play like Chandler Parsons? I try pretty hard, cut a lot and can hit threes sometimes :shrug:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

My game makes no sense, so I can't really compare myself to any NBA players. I'm 5'10, 180 pounds. I can't shoot or dribble very well, so I've learned how to play in the paint. I am a great rebounder, and get a ton of garbage buckets. I also have a good vertical, so that combined my defensive instincts gets me a few blocks per game.

Luckily, I was blessed with big rear end hands. I can palm a ball easily. That being said, I've mastered the baby hook. I learned how to do it just messing around, and realized that I was MUCH more consistent hitting that shot, compared to a jump shot. I have it down to the point where I can shoot it with either hand, and if I jump when I shoot it, it's almost unblockable.

People call me Hakeem sometimes, because I'm constantly pivoting, and spinning, before throwing up a baby hook. I can't compare myself to The Dream though. That's just stupid.

I also can do the Jordan one handed pump fake, but since I can't shoot, no one ever falls for it unless it's real close to the basket.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

the way to do it is "why do you try and emulate your game after?" and "who do you actually play like on the court?" to which my answers are:

penny hardaway (all-around guard that can work at any position on the court)/sam cassell (good handle, but I'm weird at driving to the bucket and can only really score on post-ups and mid-range)

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 30, 2014

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I have weirdly big hands for a 5'9 guy and can't dribble with pressure on me so my game is entirely based on running a lot. I usually have the guy guarding me sweat-drenched by 10 points in. I guess I'm some crappy version of Luol Deng.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I'm Shawn Bradley.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Doltos posted:

Greg Stiemsma.

e: RCarr, that vaguely sounds like how people describe Adrian Dantley. He was a post player but with the size of a guard, IIRC.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 30, 2014

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
I played last night and hit 12/18 from three over five games now I'm charging $50/hr for shooting lessons.

As a bonus my brother was guarding me all night so I get to talk massive poo poo all week.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Intruder posted:

A long, long time ago a group of about fifteen guys would get together every weekend to play full court. Aside from defense and rebounding, I am terrible at basketball. Can't dribble, can barely shoot, it's embarrassing. One game I got a steal and nothing but empty court in front of me so I take off, my team starts yelling at me to stop but screw those guys, how hard could it be to make an uncontested layup? I end up just absolutely slamming the ball off the backboard while everyone tries their best not to laugh at me.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Intruder posted:

Oh god, yeah. I played pickup on a street court in Thailand on a school trip in college, against some local guys. Really good ball-handlers (I'm not, at all). I get the guy isolated at the top of the key, and decide for whatever reason I'm going to try and do that Kevin Durant double-crossover thing, with the big sweeping dribble and poo poo. This typically results in my getting the ball stolen or the guy not biting because I'm a lovely slow ball-handler.

So I cross the guy, and it actually works. I break his ankles so hard he lands firmly on his rear end as I go blowing past him. I've got a clear line to the rim, and I pick-up my dribble still kind of overwhelmed I actually broke a guy's ankles. My spirit is soaring. Unfortunately, so is the ball as I airball the wide-open layup over the rim.

The group of Thai schoolchildren watching all laugh.

Probably a low point in my pickup career.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
I'd say my game most closely resembles someone like Grant Hill - not in terms of usually being the best player on the court (I was ok, not great), but in terms of his all around, jack-of-all-trades master-of-none game and relative size. I played every position on the court for significant stretches in organized games except SG (I couldn't shoot from the outside until I got contact lenses after university). I was a strong passer, good ball handler, enjoyed banging down low for rebounds, slashed to the hoop really well, used to be able to jump and hit off balance Derrick Rose layups. My weakness in organized games was lacking the "killer instinct" for scoring - I just didn't think to shoot much, and usually deferred to the couple guys on my team who looked to score all the time. So maybe more like Scottie Pippen I guess? I was a good defender. So yeah, I'm gonna change that to Scottie Pippen. And my best friend and teammate was Larry Bird - the athletic gifts of a physically handicapped giraffe, but he could shoot lights out, loved the pressure situations, and had terrible hair.

If Declan reads this thread - for further proof that Larry could beat Pippen, my friend (Larry) beat me (Pippen) one on one 80% of the time, even tho my game was better suited for that style. He just knew my game and frustrated me.

Edit\/\/\/ yeah probably.

The B_36 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 30, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The B_36 posted:

I'd say my game most closely resembles someone like Grant Hill - not in terms of usually being the best player on the court (I was ok, not great), but in terms of his all around, jack-of-all-trades master-of-none game and relative size. I played every position on the court for significant stretches in organized games except SG (I couldn't shoot from the outside until I got contact lenses after university). I was a strong passer, good ball handler, enjoyed banging down low for rebounds, slashed to the hoop really well, used to be able to jump and hit off balance Derrick Rose layups. My weakness in organized games was lacking the "killer instinct" for scoring - I just didn't think to shoot much, and usually deferred to the couple guys on my team who looked to score all the time. So maybe more like Scottie Pippen I guess? I was a good defender. So yeah, I'm gonna change that to Scottie Pippen. And my best friend and teammate was Larry Bird - the athletic gifts of a physically handicapped giraffe, but he could shoot lights out, loved the pressure situations, and had terrible hair.

If Declan reads this thread - for further proof that Larry could beat Pippen, my friend (Larry) beat me (Pippen) one on one 80% of the time, even tho my game was better suited for that style. He just knew my game and frustrated me.

you are probably just a scrub

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Declan MacManus posted:

you are probably just a scrub

anyone who doesn't have a killer instinct in street ball can go take a seat by the ladies

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Doltos posted:

anyone who doesn't have a killer instinct in street ball can go take a seat by the ladies

agreed man if i get the ball and i'm not open for three i fake and dribble in for an even worse shot

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Doltos posted:

I had a killer instinct in everything other than organized, official, 5 on 5, school vs school games. I was a leading scorer in more informal avenues - street ball, intramurals, 2 on 2 on my backyard court, even at the basketball camp I went to in the States for 3 years. I think my coaches were way to structured in their playcalling - we always had set plays that were supposed to run precisely, generally to get the best shooter the shot, or to get it down low. I always did better in a more free flowing offense where I could use my creativity and improvise.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

anyone who has a self-proclaimed "killer instinct" and is not good gets laughed off the court

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

mynameisjohn posted:

anyone who has a self-proclaimed "killer instinct" and is not good gets laughed off the court

noted killer instinct havers: mj, brian scalabrine

Skipper Klemens
Nov 11, 2004

The proudest moment in my basketball "career" was when the former coach of the Danish national team told me that I had a gift for rebounding. On my team I play a Anderson Varejao/Joakim Noah role. Anchoring the defense, rebounding, but also sometimes distributing from the high post.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Jummy posted:

A long, long time ago a group of about fifteen guys would get together every weekend to play full court. Aside from defense and rebounding, I am terrible at basketball. Can't dribble, can barely shoot, it's embarrassing. One game I got a steal and nothing but empty court in front of me so I take off, my team starts yelling at me to stop but screw those guys, how hard could it be to make an uncontested layup? I end up just absolutely slamming the ball off the backboard while everyone tries their best not to laugh at me.

I did this exact same thing in the teachers vs. students basketball game in high school with like half the school watching.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

mynameisjohn posted:

The guy who would unironically yell swish every time just before he clanked a long 3

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Doltos posted:

The guy who would unironically yell swish every time just before he clanked a long 3

The guy who yells "and 1" every time he's fouled and it never goes in

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Intruder posted:

The guy who yells "and 1" every time he's fouled and it never goes in

Then argues that the foul should count and they should get the ball back since it didn't go in

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

There's someone unironically posting about having killer instinct in pickup basketball games and I just want to pause and savor that for a little while.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Things I have shouted on a basketball court upon attempting a shot
-wet
-deuces
-cookies
-good
-bottoms
-woo (in a ric flair voice)

And variations for bank shots:
-bank
-bounce
-glass
-board
-corner
-boing
-bang-bang

I don't shut up, ever, it is probably really irritating

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Declan MacManus posted:

Things I have shouted on a basketball court upon attempting a shot
-wet
-deuces
-cookies
-good
-bottoms
-woo (in a ric flair voice)

And variations for bank shots:
-bank
-bounce
-glass
-board
-corner
-boing
-bang-bang

I don't shut up, ever, it is probably really irritating

So you're Carlos Boozer.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

i say wet and bang bang all the time

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Doltos posted:

So you're Carlos Boozer.

I have never called for an and-1 I ain't no maricon

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
The best shot call is "game" when hitting a 2 when tied at 11 :cool:

Alternatively "wet" and "rain dance" are always acceptable.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It's important to let people know when you are dropping bombs on their moms.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I also make whirring noises when I gather up because I am a robot from the future sent to rain bank shots down on your feeble 2-3 zone

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

THE RED MENACE posted:

The best shot call is "game" when hitting a 2 when tied at 11 :cool:

Alternatively "wet" and "rain dance" are always acceptable.

you can't win on two what scrub rear end court are you playing on this ain't the loving ABA

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I never talk more poo poo when I play than against the guys that yell "MISS" every time as you're shooting. That one thing pisses me off and makes me start talking like MJ or Payton for the rest of the game

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I never hear miss its always "short" which is way more annoying because there's no way that they would possibly know that the shot was short when its barely made it into the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
The most I say out loud is and one. I say game to myself if I'm shooting what could be a game winner. God I'm lame fuckkkk.

• Locked thread