Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Wasn't there an actual Arab American QB that started for the Bills once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Doltos posted:

Wasn't there an actual Arab American QB that started for the Bills once?

I think it was Gibran Hamdan.

Rap posted:

Did not know that about any of those guys. Do any of them identify as Arab-American? Flutie's great-grandfather immigrated from Lebanon, Wikipedia tells me, but is that a close enough tie for him to see himself as Arab-American?

Jeff George does for sure. Self-identity is a tough one. People kind of pick and choose and a lot depends on how insular they were once they came to the US, which part of the family is doing well or liked, and whether they have ties to something like the Orthodox Church or anything else that may keep that Arab connection alive.

It would be funny to see an analyst compare Manziel to George and Flutie and proclaim that "Arab QBs have moxie." Though at least we've reached the point where more often than not players are compared to other players based off of attributes and not race or ethnicity.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
On the other hand, most of those kinds of judgements are fed by what people see and I doubt many consider those guys anything other than white.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Aniki posted:

I think it was Gibran Hamdan.

Hamdan only made it on the field during the regular season once, during his first season with Washington, and mostly bounced around practice squads and backup slots. He did play a bunch of preseason and NFL Europa games though.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Grozz Nuy posted:

Here's a Rotoworld article on with a bunch of stats on the second-tier WRs.

Further strengthening my belief that Robinson is the best of the tier-2 receivers. Or possibly the bottom of tier one.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Speaking as a Bama homer that loves unsung hero Kevin Norwood to death, Odell Beckham Jr. was the best receiver I had the pleasure of watching this year.

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008
My ND homer self believes TJ Jones will be a decent slot guy for someone. Ran some solid routes and had pretty good production considering Tommy Rees was his QB...

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Jarvis Landry had two drops all year.

And he did this:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24301139/video-jarvis-landrys-amazing-catch-vs-arkansas

Draft that man, somebody.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

We did it guys. We have proof that wizards exist.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

He's going to make some team very happy in the second round.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars
I really wish KC could somehow get both Landry and Beckham Jr and just have an all LSU WR corps. That would own.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
They'll both be gone by your second pick. I could see the Ravens targeting Landry in the second as he's the closet thing to a Boldin clone this draft has.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I would really like to see the Panthers get Beckham Jr. with their first, but I have my doubts that he'll be there.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

zimbomonkey posted:

Further strengthening my belief that Robinson is the best of the tier-2 receivers. Or possibly the bottom of tier one.

Robinson and Landry are the two guys I like, and they're probably the best fits for the Niners offense of the group as well. Although now that I think about it, that may subconsciously influence the prospects I find myself liking in the first place.

If Gilbert and Dennard are off the board when the Niners pick/they don't feel strongly enough to move up and get one of them in a trade, taking Robinson at 30 would be all right by me.

Vaya con Dios!!!
Aug 14, 2006

drat I was hoping people were sleeping on Beckham Jr. and Landry.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
At least a few mocks are projecting a run on WRs in the mid-to-late 1st, as several teams there need one.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Wishlist: We grab Clinton-Dix in the first, Kouandjio in the second, and Brandon Coleman in the third.

Our secondary would be stacked. The second is a good time to find a RT like Kouandjio who should immediately help the run game. Coleman would be the perfect compliment to a WR core that includes Torrey Smith and JJ. (Hopefully it turns out better than Doss.)

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Two overrated Bama players and a receiver who is pure measurables. That sounds pretty terrible man.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

pure measureables

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Size, physical attributes, whatever.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
I doubt Lee or Evans will be there at #16 personally, it's too early then to go after a RT. Clinton-Dix has shown ball skills and outside of picking up Byrd in FA is probably the best option to start at FS where we have a gaping hole. Kouandjio got better as the season went on and a bad bowl game doesn't totally erase that. Coleman is what you can expect out of a third round reciever if you're aiming for someone with a high ceiling. We already have three, maybe four legitimate passing targets, it's the right situation to go after a guy like that.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Jarvis Landry aka Juice is so loving good and a special teams monster.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Never draft from LSU, except for weed guys. Is Landry a weed guy?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

SlipUp posted:

I doubt Lee or Evans will be there at #16 personally, it's too early then to go after a RT. Clinton-Dix has shown ball skills and outside of picking up Byrd in FA is probably the best option to start at FS where we have a gaping hole. Kouandjio got better as the season went on and a bad bowl game doesn't totally erase that. Coleman is what you can expect out of a third round reciever if you're aiming for someone with a high ceiling. We already have three, maybe four legitimate passing targets, it's the right situation to go after a guy like that.

I really think we need a pass catcher and this draft is so good there that it would be foolish not to try early. But...

SlipUp posted:

I doubt Lee or Evans will be there at #16 personally, it's too early then to go after a RT.

quote:

I doubt Lee or Evans will be there at #16 personally

quote:

Lee or Evans

SlipUp posted:

Lee Evans

:aaa:

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I think Lee could very easily be around at 16 considering his knee and lackluster production last year in comparison with 2012. I'd expect him to go in the early 20s. I think the early second round is when WRs will start flying off the board.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The draft is always supply vs demand so all those WRs with 1st/2nd round grades will be shaken up at the time of the draft. I see no issue with Lee or Evans dropping or one of the tier 2 WRs falling to the third day. Watkins is the only one who is solidifying his draft position at the moment. It feels like people are cooling off on Lee kinda in the same way people cooled off on Brian Robiskie a while back.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Rotoworld posted:

Appearing on the Dan Patrick Show, Alabama QB AJ McCarron said he is unsure if he will throw at the NFL Combine.
Oh draft night is going to be loving great if he's in the green room. He's so loving confident, this is gonna be amazing.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I feel like if he were that confident in his abilities he'd be begging to do the drills. No senior bowl and no throwing at the combine. Who does he think he is? Andrew luck and rg3??? He's getting terrible advice

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Quest For Glory II posted:

Oh draft night is going to be loving great if he's in the green room. He's so loving confident, this is gonna be amazing.

Well he's still got his pro day if he doesn't do the combine. Many throwers opt for that route if they're not confident in showcasing their talent on the same day as other guys.

It sounds like he's getting really bad advice but I'm not sure how much practicing he's doing on the side to convince NFL front offices to take him.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Can this be some kind of hypothesis testing? Is someone pulling some strings to judge how far just being a BCS champion winning QB can get you?

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 30, 2014

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
If you take AJ McCarron in the first five rounds, you're nuts. I'd take Boyd over him in a heartbeat.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I wouldn't start either of them. If my QB goes down I'd much rather have McCarron waiting in the wings than Boyd. You won't be more likely to win with either but you'd be more likely to lose with Boyd.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Yeah McCarron needs to take whoever's giving him advice and trebuchet their rear end of a cliff

Of course watch it be some relative of his

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
It's probably his tattoo giving him advice

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

only god can evaluate me

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Doltos posted:

I wouldn't start either of them. If my QB goes down I'd much rather have McCarron waiting in the wings than Boyd. You won't be more likely to win with either but you'd be more likely to lose with Boyd.

So either you don't really get logic or you think McCarron is more likely to cause your team to tie

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I think everyone understood what he meant. He won't win you guys by himself but he's much less likely to melt down and lose them singlehandedly

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Grozz Nuy posted:

I think Lee could very easily be around at 16 considering his knee and lackluster production last year in comparison with 2012. I'd expect him to go in the early 20s. I think the early second round is when WRs will start flying off the board.

He was healthy and productive by the time they got to their bowl game, so I doubt it will hurt him that much

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I think everyone understood what he meant. He won't win you guys by himself but he's much less likely to melt down and lose them singlehandedly

I understood nothing. Me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Rap posted:

I understood nothing. Me

that dog is also brown.

Crazy got what I was saying. If my starting QB went down I want a game manager in his place since the odds of winding up with a Nick Foles like performance is small. Guys like Boyd would start running all over the field fumbling and tossing stupid picks en route to a blow out loss. It's pretty much exactly like the Vikings situation with Joe Webb.

• Locked thread