Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Marquis de Pyro posted:

In MgoBlog's defense that guy was a real bad QB and I think he's dead or something now

Counterpoint: caring who plays in a high school all star game is loving creepy as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MourningView posted:

Counterpoint: caring who plays in a high school all star game is loving creepy as poo poo

When it's an obvious recruiting inducement, people pay attention to it. The guy was having so bad of a season he didn't even get invited until MSU started recruiting him for some dumb reason, and then suddenly he was named as the starter. The organizer claimed that since MSU wanted him, he must be good (even though he was terrible) so he deserved the start.

Caring who plays in a high school all-star game is generally dumb, but caring about potential recruiting violations is not.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Tonight on NBCSN, there was a commercial for a class-action lawsuit against the NCAA, regarding concussions. Same style as those other lawsuit ads over diet pills or something, but with a football helmet graphic and specific mention of the NCAA.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Deteriorata posted:

When it's an obvious recruiting inducement, people pay attention to it. The guy was having so bad of a season he didn't even get invited until MSU started recruiting him for some dumb reason, and then suddenly he was named as the starter. The organizer claimed that since MSU wanted him, he must be good (even though he was terrible) so he deserved the start.

Caring who plays in a high school all-star game is generally dumb, but caring about potential recruiting violations is not.

oh no a team we play is illegally recruiting a bad player, we'd better put a stop to this at once

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

MourningView posted:

oh no a team we play is illegally recruiting a bad player, we'd better put a stop to this at once

A Michigan Man reports all cases of improper behavior.

Except certain cases of "sexual battery". That's just boys being boys.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

The only time I cared was when they had a no-offer Mara kid QBing one of the Army AA games and had John Brantley (5* with a billion offers) on the bench/punting. In hindsight, it was probably a blessing in disguise to not be subjected to Brantley's QB play, but it irritated me that the kid got a spot solely because of his name.

I was so excited for JB to be a Gator. :(

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

swickles posted:

While its funny, it would have been better coming from Bama, LSU, or Florida. Tell me all about your BCS wins Texas A&M :allears:.
Texas A&M: Co-opting the achievements of the SEC since September 25, 2011.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JT Jag posted:

Texas A&M: Co-opting the achievements of the SEC since September 25, 2011.

In fairness they were probably co-opting Texas's achievements as well.

PizzaDelivery
Jun 25, 2007
Not delivering pizzas since 1988
Penn State just launched a program for recent graduates (2010-2014) to get season tickets at a reduced rate ($300/ticket).
So now I have season tickets as an alumnus, which is a bit strange but awesome :v:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Detroit_Dogg posted:

A&M is the gift that keeps on giving.

So's herpes and you're more likely to see that at A&M than a national title.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Steve Patterson is ruminating on the Longhorns playing a game in Mexico City: http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/01/report-texas-ad-steve-patterson-considering-longhorn-game-in-mexico-city.html

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Jesus Christ no

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Couldn't make traffic there worse than usual. It could be kinda cool.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

College teams shouldn't play out of the country. It stinks for the fans.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I want that because with the crazy atmosphere we can finally get Tecmo Bowl 100 yard TD bombs

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Spacebump posted:

Mexico is a rogue province of Texas.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.

Deteriorata posted:

Mexico is a rogue province of Texas.

- William B. Travis, 1836

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A friend of mine was in the USC band and he said USC and... I think Stanford, had been tossing around the idea of playing a game in China years ago, but I don't think it ever went very far.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Spacebump posted:

It's Mexico City, not Japan. Morgantown is farther away from Austin than Mexico City is

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Declan MacManus posted:

It's Mexico City, not Japan. Morgantown is farther away from Austin than Mexico City is

You don't have to use distance to justify not wanting to go to Morgantown.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

MourningView posted:

"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake, it's bad manners"
~Bonaparte

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I think this will end up in a hilarious failure

Do not play a football game in Mexico City jesus christ

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Azteca crowd not sure if they should only pelt one team with batteries and pee bags, pelt both.

:munch:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

I wonder how many college football players have passports.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Thoguh posted:

I wonder how many players actually have passports.

Navy and Notre dame played in Ireland this year so I doubt thats a big hurdle.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

DJExile posted:

A friend of mine was in the USC band and he said USC and... I think Stanford, had been tossing around the idea of playing a game in China years ago, but I don't think it ever went very far.

Not a good idea, the Stanford band would probably spell 'Free Tibet' on the field and bad bad things would happen.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Not a good idea, the Stanford band would probably spell 'Free Tibet' on the field and bad bad things would happen.

Is 200,000 angry Chinese people beating the Stanford band to death with their own instruments a bad thing?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Mark Hollis has been toying with the idea of having an MSU-USC basketball game in Athens because of their team names.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thoguh posted:

I wonder how many college football players have passports.

Don't people go to Cancun all the time?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Mark Hollis has been toying with the idea of having an MSU-USC basketball game in Athens because of their team names.

That idea is legit awesome as hell.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Neodoomium posted:

Wouldn't Turkey be more appropriate?

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

Texas gets like 6 or 7 home games a year quit being babies it's just one game. they're not playing the whole season in Mexico City.

Is college football even popular outside of the United States? I doubt it

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Neodoomium posted:

Hollis is a goddamned warlock.

Almost completely unrelated, but with the recent callbacks from MSU to the Spartans of antiquity, I hope we get a marathon in East Lansing sometime in the near future. Maybe Hollis can set that up, too.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

Is college football even popular outside of the United States? I doubt it

My in-laws are Jamaican and they got everybody in some random bar in Kingston to cheer for the Gators the '09 BCS CG. So there are those 30 or so people.

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe

Anals of History posted:

Hollis is a goddamned warlock.

Almost completely unrelated, but with the recent callbacks from MSU to the Spartans of antiquity, I hope we get a marathon in East Lansing sometime in the near future. Maybe Hollis can set that up, too.

Capital City River Run is adding a full this year and supposedly a bunch of the course will go through campus

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Oodles of Wootles posted:

Capital City River Run is adding a full this year and supposedly a bunch of the course will go through campus

Oh man, I had no idea. Putting that down on the calendar. Thanks! [/derail]

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

Texas gets like 6 or 7 home games a year quit being babies it's just one game. they're not playing the whole season in Mexico City.

I don't think that's the exact reasoning at play here.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Will Mexico City newspapers run articles with "5 reasons Charlie Strong isn't a narcocorrido coach"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Texas loses and at least one fan debates whether or not he could get away with murdering the QB or whoever and hanging him from a bridge because it would blend in with the other bodies.

• Locked thread