Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

I've always enjoyed just about every part of Brother Bear. Not many movies have the protagonist deliver a "Sorry I killed your mom, kid" scene.

That is some seriously heavy poo poo honestly. Even I don't really remember a lot of Brother Bear but it strikes me as a movie that deserves some more appreciation. I remember it being nicely animated, the story was solid as far as I can remember and that really is a hell of a plot point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I got around to watching Wolf Children on today. Way too many feelings in this movie. It doesn't help that I'm also very susceptible to my heart strings being tugged by movies.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

redcheval posted:

That is some seriously heavy poo poo honestly. Even I don't really remember a lot of Brother Bear but it strikes me as a movie that deserves some more appreciation. I remember it being nicely animated, the story was solid as far as I can remember and that really is a hell of a plot point.

Sadly that's because 80% of Brother bear is pretty forgettable, the plot point and animation is good, but the characters don't really grab you.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Robindaybird posted:

Sadly that's because 80% of Brother bear is pretty forgettable, the plot point and animation is good, but the characters don't really grab you.

On the DVD the moose have an in-character commentary track and if your DVD player supports it they get shadowcast onto the screen like in MST3K :allears:

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

On the DVD the moose have an in-character commentary track and if your DVD player supports it they get shadowcast onto the screen like in MST3K :allears:

I do remember watching some of that, but I have a soft spot for them anyway because my dad loved Bob and Doug McKenzie.

I'll have to watch it again sometime soon just to see how it holds up, since yeah, it is pretty forgettable apparently!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Pick posted:

I seem to recall the film coming down in the main girl for lacking whimsy... in a warzone. Anyway.

I've never seen Peter Pan 2, but I remember seeing a preview for it that had Captain Hook's ship kidnapping the girl from London and then escaping during the middle of the Blitz. As I recall (which is not much, I was probably 11 years old) it looked pretty cool.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Samuel Clemens posted:

Aladdin and the King of Thieves is the one sequel that I feel can measure up to the original. It uses the established characters in a novel way without it feeling contrived and provides a satisfying sense of closure to the franchise as a whole. The two Lion King sequels are pretty good as well and different enough in tone from each other that they can stand on their own. I also have something of a soft spot for Kronk's New Groove, though that might just be because of Patrick Warbuton.

King of thieves Always felt a lot like the Aladdin cartoon. Not bad, but not at the level of Jaffar.

Pick posted:

I really like Bambi II, enjoyed the new Winnie the Pooh as much as the original (WDAS not DisneyToon though), think The Rescuers Down Under is better than the original (also WDAS), and have an odd soft spot for Cinderella 3. Also I think Return to Neverland is not bad as long as you don't let the bad moral or your awareness of hentai bother you.

Your perversions can't harm me! My innocence is like a shield of ignorance!

I haven't seen Bambi 2 yet, but it seems like a movie that could work.
Peter Pan 2 isn't bad, but that's because to me at least it felt like watching Peter Pan 1 again.
I need to watch th rescuers again. It's been like infinite years since I last saw it so it's all faded and in black and white.

Not to long ago I saw a movie called animals united. God that movie was terrible and boring.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Aladdin and the King of Thieves was intended as a finale to the TV show, where they'd reveal Mozenrath (aka White Aladdin) was Aladdin's brother. Instead we got Middle-Eastern Sean Connery Lite.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Despicable Me was on the telly last night and it was...fine. Perfectly serviceable. I liked how goofy it was, the bits that played out like an homage to old Tom and Jerry or loony tunes cartoons were great, and the sentimental bits were sweet enough. I didn't like it as much as Cloudy or the best Pixar films but I do sorta understand why it did so well financially, it's super accessible and has a ton of stuff with no dialogue that would cross international boundaries, and it's clever enough that adults aren't bored out of their skulls.

Weirdly, my roommate, who is usually quite cynical about that sort of thing, loving LOVES the minions. I mean, I don't have a problem with them, the physical humour is well played and their short tempers are amusing, but he just found them the funniest thing.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Looks like the people behind the Ratchet & Clank movie will be giving Sly Cooper the same treatment, albeit with some redesigns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFNJW8AoYSs

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Well that was a better teaser than Ratchet & Clank got I'll say that.

I hate the design of the hippo though. I have no idea if he looks like that in the game but I do not like it!!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah Murray looks nothing like that in the game.

Not sure they couldn't just go with the cel shaded style. Sly looks a bit weird.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Wow what the hell did they do to Sly's face.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Behonkiss posted:

Looks like the people behind the Ratchet & Clank movie will be giving Sly Cooper the same treatment, albeit with some redesigns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFNJW8AoYSs

He doesn't look raccoon-y enough, or stylized enough. It's like a generic male lead body with a raccoon face, which is boring. I've always like Ratchet and Clank more anyways.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

For reference, Here is how the Cooper Gang look in the newest game. I'm just excited on the concept alone. It's still 2 years off so I'm not worried right now.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Why didn't they just go for smoother versions of those designs? :confused: The hippo especially looks perfectly fine there.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Exactly. They didn't do anything with Ratchet or Clank but yet they decide to mess with the Sly Cooper gang. Almost feels like they are trying to show off their skills but it just looks so weird.

Being able to see Bently's eyes really throw me off. They just went a little overboard on Sly. He almost looks like his japanese counterpart. And I do mean that. I recall there was a video in Sly Cooper you can unlock that shows the Japanese trailer for the game and Sly looks way more different.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Had to do some comparisons, but the things that bother me about the designs are Sly's head needs to be a little bit taller and no whiskers. Then Murray needs his mouth fixed. No big jowlly jaw. Bentley is near perfect in my opinion from what we've seen of him. It's interesting he never left the drivers seat so we don't know if he'll be in a wheelchair or not.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Considering the plot seems to be getting the pieces of the book before Clockwork I"m assuming before the incidents in the 2nd game.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Shindragon posted:

Considering the plot seems to be getting the pieces of the book before Clockwork I"m assuming before the incidents in the 2nd game.

True, but they don't have to follow the original story to a tee. In fact, I hope they change a few details. Squeezing five unique villains and locals into a single movie that's probably 90 minutes would be tough. At the very least I'm glad they have the original voices for Murray and Bentley

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUxwqG3Tyao

Behold, the winner of the 1971 Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film :downsbravo:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Behold, the winner of the 1971 Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film :downsbravo:

This owns. I love when it takes forever to get to one stupid joke at the end. Award earned.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Holy poo poo, that sucks. What the hell, 1970s :colbert:.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Haha, was that like, just the only submission in 1971? Like, someone just saw that there were no contenders and was like "Hey, it's the crunch bird, oh! Thanks for the Acamedy Award."

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This is the weirdest variation of the Parrot sketch I've ever seen.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Anonymous Robot posted:

Haha, was that like, just the only submission in 1971? Like, someone just saw that there were no contenders and was like "Hey, it's the crunch bird, oh! Thanks for the Acamedy Award."

It was certainly the shortest of the submissions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jtLTS7T8cc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HnkeFuqf6Y

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Seriously looks like a Jay Ward film. Also reminds me of Bambi Meets Godzilla, which should've won an academy award for it's deep storytelling and stunning visuals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s3UogfAGg0

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Peanut President posted:

Seriously looks like a Jay Ward film. Also reminds me of Bambi Meets Godzilla, which should've won an academy award for it's deep storytelling and stunning visuals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s3UogfAGg0

I seriously love old-school underground animation, because it really makes you appreciate how much more accessible animation has become. Nowadays any 12 year-old can grab a copy of Flash through :filez: and make an edgy cartoon about Justin Bieber being killed with bazookas and machineguns or Sesame Street characters swearing, but back then you had to really work to make edgy animated parodies of things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A15v4tTab0Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uaaO57dTbg

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

Squallege posted:

I got around to watching Wolf Children on today. Way too many feelings in this movie. It doesn't help that I'm also very susceptible to my heart strings being tugged by movies.

:cry::hf::cry:
I'd been wanting to watch it for a while, but finally "treated" myself to Wolf Children (a low-key fairy tale romance, right?) after a tough week. Hooboy.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
drat, Cloudy 2 is on redbox already. I thought it was just in theaters like 2 months ago?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Eh it came out in September so that seems about right. I mean Frozen comes to DVD in March so about 2-3 months sounds right

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Pixeltendo posted:

Wow what the hell did they do to Sly's face.
What did they do to his voice?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I haven't played the Sly Cooper games so maybe you have to just be used to it over the years of playing them, but I can't stand the turtle's voice at all.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Macaluso posted:

I haven't played the Sly Cooper games so maybe you have to just be used to it over the years of playing them, but I can't stand the turtle's voice at all.

You kinda get used to it, but no, his voice is basically the worst. And he's the one who talks the most.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
The term 'uncanny valley' might not be appropriate, but Sly looks like someone pasted a raccoon head on a realistic-looking human body. It's eerie.

A Meatslab
Apr 15, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I honestly like it. I'd agree it's probably an acquired taste. v:shobon:v

It was really hard to sit through that trailer, though.

EDIT: I really hope they decide to redo it in the more cartoony art style because Jesus Cristo it looks bad.

A Meatslab fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 31, 2014

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I really like that all these knock off movies (what cartoonbrew call "Mockbusters") that I've seen are under an hour long.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The cast of the Captain Underpants movie has been announced.

quote:

Captain Underpants is based on Dav Pilkey’s popular book series and centers around two scheming fourth graders, George Beard (Kevin Hart) and Harold Hutchins (Thomas Middleditch) whose personal missions are to play pranks, hide in their secret treehouse and write comic books. But when they accidently bring their favorite comic book character, Captain Underpants, to life through a hypnosis accident involving their megalomaniacal principal Mr. Krupp (Ed Helms), their elementary school life becomes anything but elementary. Rounding out the cast will be Jordan Peele who will voice Melvin, the nerdy nemesis of George and Harold, and Nick Kroll as the insidious villain, Professor Poopypants.

Seems like a decent cast.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Hell yes a Captain Underpants movie, of the few books I've been hoping got a Animated adaption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So The Croods showed up on Netflix streaming, and I finally watched it. It's really good, a whole lot better than the concept of the movie lead me to believe. Half the fun is the creatures in that film (I want a parrotbretooth tiger).

• Locked thread