Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Candycanes
Apr 7, 2007

marsisol posted:

We are looking for to fly home from a multi-week excursion in the UK.

•Origin: Dublin
•Destination: JFK or Newark
•Date: July 6th or 7th.
•Flexibility: Either day is fine or any other Irish airport.

Thanks!

About €500 on Aer Lingus, from DUB or SNN on the 6th?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinkie
Mar 12, 2012
Hello - I'm hoping to get some advice on when to book the following flight:

Origin: YYZ (Toronto, Canada)
Destination: BEY (Beirut, Lebanon)
Duration of trip with dates: Would like to leave on August 21/22,2014, must return September 9,2014.
Flexibility: A little for the departure date, none for the arrival date as I am going there for my best friend's wedding (which is Sept 7) and I have to be back at work September 10.

Should I be booking now or should I wait to closer to the dates?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I need to get from India to London. Flying domestically in country is no big deal, so whatever the cheapest, direct flight that isn't air india from wherever will be fine.

Origin: India
Destination: London
Duration: Depart: February 14th Return: February 17th
Flexibility: Little. I have a job interview the 15th-16th, and have to be back at work at the latest on the 18th

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Just pop that information into ita matrix and see what you get. You are so specific with travel times and so last minute just take what you can get.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Yeah, I was hoping someone in here was a magician.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah, I was hoping someone in here was a magician.

No magic, just a search engine and a pint of Smithwick's. For non-stop, your only real options are BA and VS. Both are offering $710USD/430GBP round trip fares. Given the route and where we are in the calendar, I'd jump on that quick, fast, and in a hurry.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Pinkie posted:

Hello - I'm hoping to get some advice on when to book the following flight:

Origin: YYZ (Toronto, Canada)
Destination: BEY (Beirut, Lebanon)
Duration of trip with dates: Would like to leave on August 21/22,2014, must return September 9,2014.
Flexibility: A little for the departure date, none for the arrival date as I am going there for my best friend's wedding (which is Sept 7) and I have to be back at work September 10.

Should I be booking now or should I wait to closer to the dates?

The question is whether or not the fares that are available are fares you're willing to pay, and whether or not you're willing to gamble on them not going up. The cheapest I see is nigh on $1200 for Egypt Air and Atalia flights, and friends don't let friends fly lovely airlines. Air Frog is running about the same, so that's an option.

JFK is abound $900 or so on TK, so you might consider checking to see if you can get to JFK for cheaper than
$300 and let that value judgement be your guide.

art of spoonbending
Jun 18, 2005

Grimey Drawer
We'll be flying from Rome to Paris (probably on easyjet) on Sunday June 15th on Australian passports with checked luggage. Any idea how long before the flight we would need to be at the airport? My light googling hasn't turned up any answers.
Cheers!

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Looking for a flight from NYC to AMS ideally on Aug 16th. Recently it's been showing me around $537 from JFK or $568 from EWR on IcelandAir. I'd pay a little extra for EWR for convenience of getting to airport and I see some more around $521 but they have a much longer layover. When I looked about a month ago (before trip was certain) I was seeing these around $460-470ish. Having never done a transatlantic flight before - is it worth waiting to see if it dips back to under $500 or should I jump on one now?

Citizen Dildoe
Jan 28, 2003

BattleSitar Galactica
Origin: Edmonton, Alberta (YEG)
Destination: Auckland, New Zealand (AKL)
Duration: October 1 - October 24, 2014
Flexibility: +/- a couple days on either end. It seems that Wednesday's and Friday's are cheaper on Air New Zealand so October 22 could work as a return.

I am currently looking at YEG to YVR (via West Jet or Air Canada, both have daily flights) and then YVR to AKL as there are direct flights to AKL (October 1 on NZ83, October 24 on NZ84). This feels like the best choice, but I don't know if I am overlooking a better option that connects elsewhere so I would appreciate a sanity check on this itinerary. Thanks!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Joose Caboose posted:

Looking for a flight from NYC to AMS ideally on Aug 16th. Recently it's been showing me around $537 from JFK or $568 from EWR on IcelandAir. I'd pay a little extra for EWR for convenience of getting to airport and I see some more around $521 but they have a much longer layover. When I looked about a month ago (before trip was certain) I was seeing these around $460-470ish. Having never done a transatlantic flight before - is it worth waiting to see if it dips back to under $500 or should I jump on one now?

It's a little early but this seems like a good price.

Are you doing a one way? If so that's a really good price.

Are you looking at a round trip and only flying the first part?

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

sellouts posted:

It's a little early but this seems like a good price.

Are you doing a one way? If so that's a really good price.

Are you looking at a round trip and only flying the first part?

I'm looking at one way for now because I'll be going to a few countries for a couple weeks and not positive where I'll be leaving from. Right now I think I may be leaving from LIS on Aug 29th +/- day probably back to PHL which is showing up as $553 on Kayak. I seem to be seeing better rates doing the NYC-AMS and LIS-PHL as separate one way trips instead of a roundtrip or multi-city. Unless there is something out there I'm not looking up right and don't know about.

Pfizzer
Apr 25, 2007
Origin: BNE (Brisbane)
Destination: London
Duration of trip with dates: approx 18 August to 8 September.
I am very flexible.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Well I got the Auckland flights - two returns, 16th dec to 11th jan, 1300 each with reasonable transfer time (2 hours) flexible economy and travel insurance thrown in.

Basically went to travel agent with thread advice and printouts, said 'beat that' and they did!

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mackieman posted:

The question is whether or not the fares that are available are fares you're willing to pay, and whether or not you're willing to gamble on them not going up. The cheapest I see is nigh on $1200 for Egypt Air and Atalia flights, and friends don't let friends fly lovely airlines. Air Frog is running about the same, so that's an option.

JFK is abound $900 or so on TK, so you might consider checking to see if you can get to JFK for cheaper than

EgyptAir and Alitalia are both ok. Plenty of trip reports on them up on Airliners.net and flyertalk.com if anyone wants to check. Safety records aren't bad for either one.

Pinkie
Mar 12, 2012

Mackieman posted:

I've pretty much resigned myself that it is going to cost a fortune. Thanks for the info!

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.
I have a question regarding Hipmunk. I've emailed them but haven't received a response yet and would like to get on this if possible.

Background
Origin: Vancouver, Canada
Number of passengers: 2 adults
Destination: Tokyo
Duration: about two weeks

Wanting to go in spring while avoiding the hanami rush as much as possible. I have been hoping we could do this for about 6 months but couldn't book because of job issues... but about five days ago it became apparent that we would be able to go! Originally we planned to go in early March but that's cutting it a bit close, so I started looking in April and this showed up:

Of course I jumped on it. It was a freaking miracle! The lowest I've seen YVR-TYO prices get was around $950 CAD. But when I try to book, the flight comes up as like $1300+ on Air Canada...so what gives? I called Air Canada and they had no idea what I was talking about. Is this some kind of members deal not open to the general public that Hipmunk is finding? I'd really like to buy these if I can.

Famine Poodle fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 30, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I've got a flight booked on Delta for my wife and I in the middle of March. However one of us may end up flying out earlier than the other. I don't see a way to do this online, is it something that could be easily done by calling them?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ah gently caress, it turns out my tickets are non-refundable, so it's another $200 to make a change on the ticket. I'm guessing there's no way around that? I don't have any standing with Delta to try and leverage.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's likely $200 + fare difference, and there's basically no good way around it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The fare is actually $60 cheaper, so at least they'll be nice enough to only charge me $140.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

The fare is actually $60 cheaper, so at least they'll be nice enough to only charge me $140.

Mackieman this is all your fault for not knowing this and telling him to wait :mad:

(Kidding fishman)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Id be flying early to visit a friend, but I bought both tickets because I just assumed I could easily switch.

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE WARN ME DESPITE MY NEVER ASKING? ;)

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
I'm like the Rain Man of booking domestic travel, but my international booking-fu gets less practice. First of all, coach/economy are right out, I am 6'5" and more hundreds of pounds than I wish to admit, and my legs would atrophy, go gangrenous, and fall off if I tried to sit in coach long enough to reach DUB, SNN, or LHR from LAS. I've managed to find Premium Economy (21" seat width, 38" pitch) for about $2,200 round trip to LHR. That's actually not bad, but does anyone here think it can be beaten? I'm planning to travel in late August / early September.

Also, any tips on renting cars overseas? I routinely get standard and full-sized cars for $100-$180/week here in the USA, but none of my tricks and/or resources seem to cross the Atlantic Ocean.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Famine Poodle posted:

I have a question regarding Hipmunk. I've emailed them but haven't received a response yet and would like to get on this if possible.

Background
Origin: Vancouver, Canada
Number of passengers: 2 adults
Destination: Tokyo
Duration: about two weeks

Wanting to go in spring while avoiding the hanami rush as much as possible. I have been hoping we could do this for about 6 months but couldn't book because of job issues... but about five days ago it became apparent that we would be able to go! Originally we planned to go in early March but that's cutting it a bit close, so I started looking in April and this showed up:

Of course I jumped on it. It was a freaking miracle! The lowest I've seen YVR-TYO prices get was around $950 CAD. But when I try to book, the flight comes up as like $1300+ on Air Canada...so what gives? I called Air Canada and they had no idea what I was talking about. Is this some kind of members deal not open to the general public that Hipmunk is finding? I'd really like to buy these if I can.

zomg so busy :( Sorry for the delayed replies. Between travel and planning my annual travel nerd gathering, I've been out of pocket.

In most cases, this issue comes up when the airline has sold out of a particular fare but their GDS updates (the database that Hipmunk pulls from) has not been updated. Most airlines update three or four times per day at various intervals, but not all fares or markets get an update every time. This can lead to stale results in the GDS. It is in the airline's best interest to not let that happen as much as possible, but it still does sometimes, especially on a particularly good fare.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

FISHMANPET posted:

Unless they pull a United and require the $200 change fee in new funds and issue a voucher for the fare difference. Revenue_____Friendly. :rolleyes:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

Mackieman this is all your fault for not knowing this and telling him to wait :mad:

(Kidding fishman)

:D

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

FISHMANPET posted:

Id be flying early to visit a friend, but I bought both tickets because I just assumed I could easily switch.

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE WARN ME DESPITE MY NEVER ASKING? ;)

The only airline that really works with is WN (Southwest). You only pay the fare difference, if any. But they're not transferrable anymore, so the funds stay in the name of the person they were originally ticketed for.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Centripetal Horse posted:

I'm like the Rain Man of booking domestic travel, but my international booking-fu gets less practice. First of all, coach/economy are right out, I am 6'5" and more hundreds of pounds than I wish to admit, and my legs would atrophy, go gangrenous, and fall off if I tried to sit in coach long enough to reach DUB, SNN, or LHR from LAS. I've managed to find Premium Economy (21" seat width, 38" pitch) for about $2,200 round trip to LHR. That's actually not bad, but does anyone here think it can be beaten? I'm planning to travel in late August / early September.

Also, any tips on renting cars overseas? I routinely get standard and full-sized cars for $100-$180/week here in the USA, but none of my tricks and/or resources seem to cross the Atlantic Ocean.

What's the difference on your routing from the PE seat up to regular C? If it's less than $1000, you may consider shelling out if possible. Extra miles that way too in most cases.

But really, I'm 6'8" and weigh in at more to love so I know the pains of coach all to well. For anything under ten hours, and a connection on the East Coast would provide that, United's Economy Plus isn't bad. Extra legroom, and if you can score an empty middle, it's not a bad way to fly. Delta has Economy Comfort as well, but it's not as nice or roomy. Those seats can be had for a lot less than $2200; more like $140 each way on top of the base fare cost. Just something to consider.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Looking to fly from LIS to PHL in late August and I have two options that are pretty much same price. They both have are multi-airline flights with a layover in BOS. One has a layover of 2hrs while the other has a 3hr layover.

My question is if a 2hr layover is enough time when factoring in that I would have to clear customs, etc. and due to the fact that the second flight is on another airline so may cause me trouble if first flight has delays? Or am I better off being safe and doing the 3hr layover? The LIS-BOS flight is on SATA and BOS-PHL is US Air.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you're ticketed as one ticket the delays between carriers will be far less of a problem. That being said I try to stay on the same airline if price are the same.

I think you'll be fine with 2 hours but it's been a while since I've cleared US customs without GE.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
Is there any way to travel from northern California to northern Florida and back without it costing $400? Time and date is extremely flexible here, though I was thinking of going in summer (may-June). I've checked around, but that seems to be the bare minimum and I was hoping for something a little cheaper.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

Is there any way to travel from northern California to northern Florida and back without it costing $400? Time and date is extremely flexible here, though I was thinking of going in summer (may-June). I've checked around, but that seems to be the bare minimum and I was hoping for something a little cheaper.

How long are you going for? Go to ITA Matrix, do 2 one way searches, use both the "nearby airports" and "See calendar of lowest fares" options. With that I can find flights a flight from SFO to Tampa for $120 and a flight from Orlando to SFO for $170. Not sure if those classify as "North Florida" though. edit: just looked at a map and they don't, sorry

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 5, 2014

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Joose Caboose posted:

Looking to fly from LIS to PHL in late August and I have two options that are pretty much same price. They both have are multi-airline flights with a layover in BOS. One has a layover of 2hrs while the other has a 3hr layover.

My question is if a 2hr layover is enough time when factoring in that I would have to clear customs, etc. and due to the fact that the second flight is on another airline so may cause me trouble if first flight has delays? Or am I better off being safe and doing the 3hr layover? The LIS-BOS flight is on SATA and BOS-PHL is US Air.

To echo sellout's thoughts, the 2hr connection seems fine to me. Moreover, there are lots of ways to get from BOS to PHL, including Amtrak if everything else completely shits the bed.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Yeah, it's the northern Florida bit here that is screwing you over. JAX is about the largest airport you can get to. How long were you planning on being gone? Random search for a week during that time period is about $380. Such is life when flying into small airports with limited service. Supply and demand economics bite you in the rear end.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
Yeah, about a week was the ideal timeframe. Sounds like you guys pretty much found what I found and I'm unlikely to find much lower. :sigh:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Yeah, about a week was the ideal timeframe. Sounds like you guys pretty much found what I found and I'm unlikely to find much lower. :sigh:

The only real option is to fly into ATL and drive down or into MCO/TPA and drive up. If you want to get real creative you might try looking at something near the region and then getting a separate WN ticket into JAX, but I don't recommend that for anyone but the most seasoned of travelers.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I need air from ATL to LAS.

It must be exactly on 10/24 to 10/29.
I would like to arrive in LAS around noon (or earlier).

Price is currently 460 on Delta.

Should I wait? Seems high to me.
When would be a good time to look?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

TheReverend posted:

I need air from ATL to LAS.

It must be exactly on 10/24 to 10/29.
I would like to arrive in LAS around noon (or earlier).

Price is currently 460 on Delta.

Should I wait? Seems high to me.
When would be a good time to look?

Yeah, you should be able to save $100 or so on that being this far out. Start looking once a day and when it drops, jump on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm gonna try my next flight with no checked baggage, so I guess I need some tips on that. Specifically, how do you deal with stuff like toothpaste and deodorant? I know you can get shampoo and conditioner at the hotel, but what about all the other stuff I need to keep myself groomed?

And then packing a small amount of clothes is another problem, but I think I can figure that one out (just don't pack so many clothes, dufus!).