Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I'm not sure that I could read that even if I wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Are people still wanting keys for this. Just noticed I have a few.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

crabcakes66 posted:

Yes!

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Definitely. If you could PM or email me one that would be awesome. :)

e: wewt

rap music fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 1, 2014

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

crabcakes66 posted:

Edit: Thanks so much man.

iNteg fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 1, 2014

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Keys are sent. Enjoy.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
You have any more? Codito at gmail if so please.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Only had three. All done.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

crabcakes66 posted:

Only had three. All done.

Where'd you see these? I probably have a few, I've never checked.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

queeb posted:

They email them out every so often or you get them via contests/giveaways on the forums. I think most of them just end up rotting away because of how they handle NDA breaks. If the person you invite gets banned you get banned with them.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

rainy day posted:

I think the same thing applies to the modern MMO market. MMOs sound cool and big and exciting so people like the sound of that and as a result they "want" an MMO in a shallow sense, but what they really want out of the game has nothing to do with, and is often antithetical to, the basic design concepts of an MMO.

Of course these players spend money like everyone else so from a purely business perspective so a lot of recent MMOs have awkwardly included content that caters to that crowd (the ones who want to play a single player game but like the idea of an MMO) and the result is a half-assed experience that doesn't give any type of player what they actually want.

People having no idea what they actually want is a well documented phenomenon . Obviously I'm not infallible either but I think there's a reason basically every MMO to follow WoW has ultimately had to go free to play and I don't think it's just because "pay to play is dying" for some inexplicable reason.
What do you even mean when you talk about the basic design concepts of an MMO, and what do you mean when you say MMOs nowadays are catering to a crowd that doesn't like those concepts? Be specific. If you mean that MMOs are more prone to not punishing you when you die, or showering you with 'undeserved' gear in the name of letting you catch up to your friends, say so. Your vague BS about players that don't have the ~true desire~ to play an MMO just makes you sound like one of those grognards who's upset that the genre moved beyond forced grouping.

Also, let's not kid ourselves here, the reason most MMOs switch their profit model isn't because there's a rash of evil single-player, uh, players muddying the waters as to what people really want from an MMO. It's usually because the game in question could not make enough money as it was, either because the game was poo poo and didn't grow it's audience as a result, or because the game was too niche to have the kind of runaway success most publishers expect.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

queeb posted:

They were in my gmail 'Promotions' tab for one of my accounts. Just didn't notice until now.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

rainy day posted:

Most people who prefer solo and occasional small group play would be much better served by a game that's not an actual MMO and the compromises made to try to please everyone hurt the game in the long run. It's gotten to the point where I think a lot of current 'themepark' MMOs (including present day WoW) would be much better if they were structured more along the lines of Phantasy Star Online, or the original Guild Wars with public "lobby" towns and solo or group instanced everywhere else. Unfortunately, MMORPGS are considered cool and a good bullet point on a box (or a slideshow for investors) so companies sink tons of resources into creating an MMORPG infrastructure (and making all the gameplay compromises that come with that) for a game that's not even designed for people who want to play an MMORPG.

This is a really strange point of view, because it's the hardcore players who insist on forced grouping who are almost literally playing an instanced game anyway - click dungeon finder, port to dungeon or raid entrance. Or in a less fancy MMO world, idle in main city, then port to raid. It's the solo and small group players who tend to be out and about in the world where you might bump into random strangers - how is that not playing an 'actual MMO'?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The next cool dude who replies to this with a fighting game avatar that isn't Capcom related can have my last beta key because gently caress if I know what else to do with it.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The next cool dude who replies to this with a fighting game avatar that isn't Capcom related can have my last beta key because gently caress if I know what else to do with it.

Meeee.

Edit: oh gently caress all, I misread. Oh well, I knew I should have switched to a Ciel avatar.

Edit 2: Okay, Kohaku will do it. You just incentivized a goon to switch to a superior avatar.

Zagposting fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 1, 2014

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Riftling posted:

Meeee.

Edit: oh gently caress all, I misread. Oh well, I knew I should have switched to a Ciel avatar.

Edit 2: Okay, Kohaku will do it. You just incentivized a goon to switch to a superior avatar.

Haha okay, good enough for me. Sending a PM your way.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

queeb posted:

If you do, I'd love to get in on that. I don't have PMs or anything fancy but I can throw down an e-mail. This game looks more and more fantastic the more and more I see of it.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

That's skirting dangerously close to saying "people don't know what they want, but I know better!" and while I agree that pay-2-play most likely isn't the problem in itself, most mmo:s released in recent years have had major issues one way or another, or just have catered to specific audiences and therefore not grown "large" (as compared to WoW, which is a dumb comparison to make for 'success' anyway.).

Anyway, I think this particular line of discussion is just majorly over-thinking the problem. The game will stand or fall on the basis of having varied content for many different types of players and on the quality of it's mechanics, said content and how it is presented.

godzilla hentai
Sep 6, 2010

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

If you do, I'd love to get in on that. I don't have PMs or anything fancy but I can throw down an e-mail. This game looks more and more fantastic the more and more I see of it.

I'd like one too if anyone gets more. I signed up for the beta 11 months ago, then took their winter beta survey that got emailed recently and... nothing.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I am not going to comment again on how long ago I signed up and then they silently threw away beta applications :colbert:

Have there been any big giveaways? The one that developer posted only had about 15 keys for each site which got given away randomly or in competitions.

TheCrushinator
May 19, 2008
I've found a curious issue with the dev/nc soft website. I thought my GW2 account would let me log in, apparetnly not, but it kept trying to let me login with the details for it until I got a message stating "too many failed login attempts login temporarily disabled. please try again in a few minutes". Ok, worked out I need an NCsoft account so I dutifully created one with my email account thats tied to my GW2 account and... same message. Tried making one with a different email account, same message. Anyone else experienced this bizarre behaviour? a cursory google shows up an issue from 2006 with old GW1 accounts but nothing to recent. Shame as I want to sign up for the beta.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

I hope this game gets delayed until summer so I can wallow in my sad smugness that I waited literally a year for a beta key.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Carecat posted:

I am not going to comment again on how long ago I signed up and then they silently threw away beta applications :colbert:

They never threw them away. They moved over to a new system (NCSoft) that let you apply again, but the original one is also still valid.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

TheCrushinator posted:

I've found a curious issue with the dev/nc soft website. I thought my GW2 account would let me log in, apparetnly not, but it kept trying to let me login with the details for it until I got a message stating "too many failed login attempts login temporarily disabled. please try again in a few minutes". Ok, worked out I need an NCsoft account so I dutifully created one with my email account thats tied to my GW2 account and... same message. Tried making one with a different email account, same message. Anyone else experienced this bizarre behaviour? a cursory google shows up an issue from 2006 with old GW1 accounts but nothing to recent. Shame as I want to sign up for the beta.

They probably disabled login from your IP bud because to them it appears that your computer is trying to force its way into an account. Just give it some time.

Skunk Growstrong
Nov 23, 2013

by XyloJW
People worried about the cash shop...

Not that I have any inside information or anything, because I don't, however...

Have you forgot about housing? The cash shop will be full of cosmetic housing implements!

Just you wait and see how obsessive people get about housing...

Tsargon the Great
Jun 4, 2005

~=~ NuMBa 1 PoSta~=~
CuTiE
I'm sorry if this is the incorrect place for it, but is there a goon guild for the beta? I just got in as Tsargbot

TheCrushinator
May 19, 2008

Doh004 posted:

They probably disabled login from your IP bud because to them it appears that your computer is trying to force its way into an account. Just give it some time.

Yup, contacted customer support after I found a way to get hold of them that didn't require me to log in to my account and they said the same thing. Now to play the waiting game for a beta key, or more likely, wait until april for release.

I'm downloading the Aion client for a laugh as its free but after checking the thread I don't think I should expect much.

Edit: has a decision been reached on seperate EU/US goon servers yet, or are the euro's rolling on US servers for safety in numbers?

TheCrushinator fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 2, 2014

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

TheCrushinator posted:

Yup, contacted customer support after I found a way to get hold of them that didn't require me to log in to my account and they said the same thing. Now to play the waiting game for a beta key, or more likely, wait until april for release.

I'm downloading the Aion client for a laugh as its free but after checking the thread I don't think I should expect much.

Edit: has a decision been reached on seperate EU/US goon servers yet, or are the euro's rolling on US servers for safety in numbers?

There's generally some goon presence on EU servers with most games but it tends to fizzle out in a few months. Lots of EU goons roll on US servers though and those groups tend to stick around for longer.

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
Is there an arrangement where if you pre-order you get guaranteed Beta access? Waiting on a key by email is not cutting it.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Fooma posted:

Is there an arrangement where if you pre-order you get guaranteed Beta access? Waiting on a key by email is not cutting it.

It wouldn't be too surprising if there was, but there's no word on a pre-order at all yet.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Guys, there's no preorder and no April release date!

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Guys, there's no preorder and no April release date!

Fall 2013 release...

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Are we just speculating or has there been word on another delay?

TheCrushinator
May 19, 2008

Arzachel posted:

There's generally some goon presence on EU servers with most games but it tends to fizzle out in a few months. Lots of EU goons roll on US servers though and those groups tend to stick around for longer.

Thats what I figured, but with 40man raiding I would like to play in my own closish timezone if possible. If not, then I'll just hit US straight off the bat to avoid rerolling in a few months.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

rap music posted:

Are we just speculating or has there been word on another delay?

Speculating, although it is a little odd that there's been no preorder campaign this late in the game if they're still targetting Spring. Everything that's been streamed, etc. makes it looks like the game is pretty polished and complete, so it's kind of curious that we're not seeing a bigger ramp up to launch.

Hard to tell with the NDA up, but either the back half of the game is still unfinished or who knows what.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

Tsargon the Great posted:

I'm sorry if this is the incorrect place for it, but is there a goon guild for the beta? I just got in as Tsargbot

If you are on exiles, whisper unicoroner. There are a few of us on at a time, usually.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
Pre-orders are usually a horrible indicator of a game's release. There have been games with pre-orders announced a month before the game's release.

Anyways, we've seen pictures promotional materials at a Gamestop (signs, character stands, etc.) that were apparently placed ahead of time. The link with those images was shut down pretty damned fast. Carbine probably has all of their marketing for pre-order ready to go at the press of a button.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

doomisland posted:

Fall 2013 release...

Oh so it'll be out on April 1st then, gotcha.

TheCrushinator
May 19, 2008

VanillaGorilla posted:

Speculating, although it is a little odd that there's been no preorder campaign this late in the game if they're still targetting Spring. Everything that's been streamed, etc. makes it looks like the game is pretty polished and complete, so it's kind of curious that we're not seeing a bigger ramp up to launch.

Hard to tell with the NDA up, but either the back half of the game is still unfinished or who knows what.

Could be a concious effort to keep peoples curiosity piqued? People get frustrated if they shell out $70-100 for CE only to find out its worthless when it goes f2p in 2 months as most MMO's have other than WoW. Rift gave it a good crack but in the end didnt have the sub base. I still think WoW is responsible for a lot of failures in the genre, not because its the gold standard (sadly it is, even nearly 10 years later) but because it has subs in the millions, and a new MMO is deemed to have failed by the publisher if it doesn't hit atleast 2-3 mil subs for 6 months+. Not everyone likes swtor, but I found it passable but because it didn't have the QOL stuff that people now expect from an mmo, such as dungeon group finder, working AH with useful filters, to many empty zones (tatooine) etc it got stale real quick. I still jump on for a laugh every month or two but it has never held my interest like WoW did, and GW2 is finally starting to do. Not sure where I'm really going with this other than I hope its being held back until its ready so that it has end game ready to go that is more than one raid that is cheesed in the 1st rush, or to really iron all the bugs out that can kill an mmo, which is usually the combat based bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The devs mentioned earlier that they underestimated how much hype the class reveals would generate, and are now trying to manage it so that it doesn't peak too far ahead of the launch date. Not opening for pre-orders yet is probably part of that.

• Locked thread