Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Bleeding bible and dead squirrel in the credits. :ohdear: I don't want either of them to die.

The Hood kid's walking mincemeat though.

The psycho in the woods has to be Rabbit, right? But I don't think he's the one who killed the girl.

He looked a bit too heavy set for it to be Rabbit. I thought the killer was probably Rebecca's Brother and the Amish girl.

The Amish girl probably caught the two making out and gets the Brother to repent by killing 'Eve', the woman who seduced him and brought sin into his life. She then gets him to drown/baptise Rebecca to save her from her sins.

It didn't look like the guy in the woods was trying to kill Hood, just knock him out so he could run away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Join me in the binge through season 1, now watching season 2 club.

Random thoughts because I binged through the thread too:

The cold open with the heist was kind of out of place, but fun.

Some things aren't drawn out cliche, like the old buddy from prison hanging around a few episodes. Nope, killed

I don't think lucas has fight training. Its pretty clear the albino handed him his rear end the first fight, so he spent every day of 90+ days in solitary working out and punching a wall to build strength. He can just take a punch and dish it out. The elbow block was a direct call back to that.

The rabbits daughter seems to have some moves, but I'm not sure if that was from the past or her training with the guy in town.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

I just caught up on season 2. Holy hell the bible beat down was fantastic.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did you guys not watch the origins? The Field episode has Rebecca basically getting all sexy with herself in a field while being spied on by an Amishulk, who produces a knife, then runs off.

Fans of Rebecca should watch it.

Roundboy posted:

The rabbits daughter seems to have some moves, but I'm not sure if that was from the past or her training with the guy in town.

It was pretty obvious from last season while she was fighting Olek that she has trained in Samba or a tv like version of samba/krav. Olek even mentioned that she had been practicing, but she still hit like a girl

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 26, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rocksicles posted:

Did you guys not watch the origins? The Field episode has Rebecca basically getting all sexy with herself in a field while being spied on by an Amishulk, who produces a knife, then runs off.

Well yea it seem like it was an Amish person who murdered the girl and kidnapped / murdered the boy. Especially after the amish girl sends Rebecca to that bridge and she gets attacked.

Also everyone should watch the origins. They provide a few more plot points for the backstory. I should get around to watching the ones with Carrie but they seemed boring. The one I did watch had her talking to her husband and deciding whether or not to visit Hood while he was in jail.

Surreal Windmill
May 18, 2007

Wherefore set upon this magical round hill, the windmills go Round and Round as do we all

Roundboy posted:

Join me in the binge through season 1, now watching season 2 club.

Random thoughts because I binged through the thread too:

The cold open with the heist was kind of out of place, but fun.

Some things aren't drawn out cliche, like the old buddy from prison hanging around a few episodes. Nope, killed

I don't think lucas has fight training. Its pretty clear the albino handed him his rear end the first fight, so he spent every day of 90+ days in solitary working out and punching a wall to build strength. He can just take a punch and dish it out. The elbow block was a direct call back to that.

I always figured Ana trained with Olek and company.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was a killer episode, I hope Deputy Hotness doesn't get killed off.

So maybe I'm trying to read into things a bit too much but does anyone think the numbers the safe dial spin to in the credits have any significance?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

So maybe I'm trying to read into things a bit too much but does anyone think the numbers the safe dial spin to in the credits have any significance?
It's a different code this season than last. Apparently there's a whole numerological angle, like Lost, but it's just an in-joke, not a plot thing.

Like, 99 is one of the numbers, and this week Kai read psalm 9:9 from the Bible or something. It's all up on the Banshee website.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Everyone should check out the Banshee Origins website, there's a bunch of neat scenes that gives some more background.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Rhyno posted:

They unlock the vault on the website: http://www.welcometobanshee.com/vault.htm Code: 62 07 30 99.

Also this season they are doing numerology videos(each episode has more than 1 video that you play in sequence):

http://www.welcometobanshee.com/numerology.htm

Also last year after the season they released a combination reveal video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkGbVdwEk48

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

redweird posted:

I dunno, I kind of felt he got his rear end handed to him in that fight and won only because of his biting and that loving sweet elbow block, as well as the fact that he just does not stop fighting no matter how many times he gets punched. He does some pretty sick stuff but it's always super brutal rather than graceful.

Against the MMA fighter he lands those first two hits and only lands one more before he smashes him with the bottle. Then he bites his ear, gets mad arm locked, bites his leg and hits him in the nuts. Once he breaks his wrist with the elbow block he just tears him apart though in the most brutal way.

Although in the first fight scene against the two thugs he takes them apart pretty quick. I think Hood suffers against well trained combatants but his ability to take a beating evens it up a little.

Man, cannot wait for more Banshee.

That fight seemed 'off' to me because in every fight up to that point we see Hood (and why are we referring to him as his cover name anyway?) just be ruthless and go for the kill every time, but suddenly this guy that doesn't have the drop on him is pushing hi poo poo in. When Sanchez started to gloat I was thinking maybe Hood was playing some sort of game to draw out the guy's nastiness in front of everybody, but no they play it straight with this guy who just a couple episodes ago was jamming hot sauce bottles down people's throats and jabbing security guards in the neck off the bat suddenly is trading punches with a guy bigger than him instead of playing to his strengths (fighting dirty).

Like, earlier in the episode when Sanchez called him out and Hood kind of shakes his head and walks away, I read that as him (Hood) knowing he could push Sanchez's poo poo in but actually doing it would draw attention, so he just kind of shrugs and walks away.

Also, just finished the school hostage episode where Rabbit finally figures out where Hood and Ana are hiding. Holy poo poo things are going to get ugly now. I wonder how Rabbit and Proctor are going to get along... :drat:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

WarLocke posted:

Hood... why are we referring to him as his cover name anyway?

Uh... what else would you call him? They've never told us his name.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Uh... what else would you call him? They've never told us his name.

:downs: I realized after I posted that I couldn't remember his real name. Oh well, Hood it is. (Or John Smith the totally-not-special-forces dude)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I never even thought to check out the show's website. Thanks guys!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

WarLocke posted:

:downs: I realized after I posted that I couldn't remember his real name. Oh well, Hood it is. (Or John Smith the totally-not-special-forces dude)

If they're smart they'll never give is his name and detailed backstory beyond what they've given us now.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I'm only up to episode 8 (the Ana/Olek fight and Rebekah being shunned) and I have to say one of the things I really, really like about this show is how Kai Proctor isn't an evil antagonist for the sake of being evil. He's a hosed-up dude, no doubt, but there's a man in there, under all of that. A man that truely cared about his friendship with the tribal chief, and one who manages to still care for his family while also not being able to follow their ways. He's not a cardboard obstruction for Hood, he's a character in his own right.

Now, Rabbit? Maybe not so much. Hopefully he'll get some more nuance/fleshing out in the future, but right now he's just the shadowy evil mastermind out to get our protagonists.

e: Also Joe (Cho?) is the best character. "I remember you, mothafucka" *kicks dead body*

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 29, 2014

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Job, pronounced, Jobe

I kinda like Burton, or Smithers. He gets it done right.

Although i've been a big fan of Antony Starr for a number of years, he's such a great actor. He crushes this role.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 29, 2014

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
The suspense with Burton is killing me. On the one hand, I love that they're keeping him in the background and letting Kai show that he's perfectly capable of taking care of himself, even in the face of a gang of thugs, but on the other hand, I really need him to wreck poo poo. I waited all last season for it, though that bit with the guy and the bottle was pretty cool. It's just that every time he takes his glasses off, it's like Stabler rolling up his sleeves, but without the payoff. In this last one, he just took out one guy's knees, and then mic-dropped the baseball bat. It's too much. Too much. Unleash the beast, Burton. Preferably this season.

Surreal Windmill
May 18, 2007

Wherefore set upon this magical round hill, the windmills go Round and Round as do we all
Officially renewed for Season 3.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Yes!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Surreal Windmill posted:

Officially renewed for Season 3.

Hell yes. This is currently my second favorite show behind Justified.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I just caught up with the first two of season new, I really like the way the fight scenes are still mostly done with long takes. There's probably a bit of CG magic in there but wgas anyway.
Also the screen wobbles when there's poo poo going down inside Hoods head bits are excellent. And the music is perfect.

Ed Brubaker should write an episode for season 3.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

KatWithHands posted:

The suspense with Burton is killing me. On the one hand, I love that they're keeping him in the background and letting Kai show that he's perfectly capable of taking care of himself, even in the face of a gang of thugs, but on the other hand, I really need him to wreck poo poo. I waited all last season for it, though that bit with the guy and the bottle was pretty cool. It's just that every time he takes his glasses off, it's like Stabler rolling up his sleeves, but without the payoff. In this last one, he just took out one guy's knees, and then mic-dropped the baseball bat. It's too much. Too much. Unleash the beast, Burton. Preferably this season.

Yeah, I enjoy the fact that he rocks the suit and bowtie with the glasses. As soon as the glasses come off you know something is going down. I was re-watching season 1 the other day and even in the pilot when hillbilly guy comes after Kai he is very slow and methodical as he approaches the guy. Then in the Sanchez episode when he goes in the trailer and comes back out. He just straightens up his suit and puts on his glasses all nonchalant. As much as I want to see him unleash the beast all over someone's face I expect that my imagination does a better job than how it would play out on film.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

The way Burton just drops that bat after showing up every one of those guys with one swing is just awesome.

I wonder if we'll ever get a Hood/Burton fight and if so just how awesome it will be.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

WarLocke posted:

The way Burton just drops that bat after showing up every one of those guys with one swing is just awesome.

I wonder if we'll ever get a Hood/Burton fight and if so just how awesome it will be.
You can't. A season is not enough time to heal the damage those two could do to each other, even in Banshee la-la-land.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That waitress made a smart move by going somewhere else.

e: Kai Proctor continues to loving own

e: hey it's Harry Knowles! :v:

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 1, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Well yea it seem like it was an Amish person who murdered the girl and kidnapped / murdered the boy. Especially after the amish girl sends Rebecca to that bridge and she gets attacked.

Called it! Rewatching the origins, it looks like its the same guy too.

And I hope Nola comes back because goddamn shes a badass. Kai was right, she is the one with the balls in the family. I was really hoping that she would kill her pussy brother and take over.

Job you have the most fabulous and extravagant outfits.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Also really hope that IS the last time we see Rabbit. Very powerful scene to go out like that. More meaningful than killing him I think. Though the post credit scene kinda hints it won't be =/

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That was pretty good, as always, though not as good as the last few weeks. I'm guessing that it was just meant to be a pause in the mounting tensions between the Kinahu Moon and the Amish, but the ending kind of diffused all the tension.

Amused by how bored Rebecca looked during her sex scene. Also Hood Jr. looks like her brother. More incest!

Surprised that Cheyton let both those cops off at the end. He doesn't seem the type to let both survive.

Love Nola and Job. She better be back soon (though I don't doubt that she'll be back). I'm looking forward to her taking over from her chump brother.

Not a big fan of the continued existence of Rabbit, though I do want his nurse to turn out to be a ninja assassin. :black101: That'd rule.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Good episode. Love Job. He's so fabulous. The mounting tension in this episode is great. poo poo's mounting. Also like the big indian guy's racist jab.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Rebecca is so amazing I hope she learns under her uncle and becomes a bad rear end.

I really like the premise of Hood and find him a very interesting character. I pray to gently caress we never really learn his back story.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Holy hell is this a well directed and incredibly depressing episode.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
What a stunningly gorgeous episode. And deeply emotional too. The show runners and cast were tweeting that it was going to be different from anything they'd done and I wasn't sure what to expect but I get it now. Really well done. The cinematographer should win a loving award.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah that felt like a completely different team of people writing and filming than the normal episodes and it worked really, really well.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eh, I wasn't too big of a fan of the change. I was really happy when the FBI guy showed up half way through because I was starting to get bored, but sadly that was short lived. :v: I figured the style would change to something more frantic once the sniper attacked, but no it went right back to the same poo poo as the first half.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 8, 2014

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
I liked that we got to take an emotional detour from the action of the show, like a breather without actually taking a break from episodes. With shows like Banshee, where they do fantastically well already with fusing dramatic performances in with the action, you get these times where you wonder "could they do as well if it were purely drama?" The creators took a gamble with this, and I think it paid off.

But I did get pretty excited when I recognized Rebecca from Strike Back (Lyne Renee) at the car, and that was sort of a dead giveaway for that spoiler. Was expecting her to have a bit bigger role than that, considering.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007
That might be my favorite episode so far. I didn't expect to find such wonderfully depressing imagery in a Banshee episode but, welp, there it was.:shrug:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This latest episode was like something you'd get on an HBO megahit.

I don't know what has prompted this drastic shift in everything but if they take this direction with the back half of the season I can see at least one Emmy nod if they are the episodes in the "For your consideration" packets.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

pentyne posted:

I don't know what has prompted this drastic shift in everything

One of the writers/producers/showrunners watched Drive apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh wow, that was good. And intense. I'm absolutely shocked/gutted that they killed Racine. Zeljiko Ivanek was really, really good in this. I mean, he's always loving great, but I thought this was up there with his work on Damages.

I do hope this means the other characters will have more to do in the next few episodes. The show could always do with more Job. He's so cool.

(also I miss Nola)

• Locked thread