Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Can anybody give me advice on Kog'Maw other than the advice I my friends give me, which is "Don't play him?"

It feels like he should be really good since his W gives him so much range, plus he has armor shred and % health damage when so many people are picking tanky champions now, but his lack of an escape causes a lot of trouble for me and I still get screwed even with the range increase.

I think part of my problem is probably I need to get better at last hitting, so I can get good items earlier, but as soon as the jungler shows up I'm probably dead unless I'm laning with Thresh or playing really scared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Monathin posted:

I know I used to beeline for it on like, AD Blizcrank builds, but yeah, Manamune was essentially rendered completely irrelevant because it had huge stats and Jayce could max it out by like the 20 minute mark.

Though an AD Chalice upgrade wouldn't be so bad. Mana Font + a resonable amount of AD instead of Manamune's scaling AD + effect. Make it about as easy to upgrade as Athene's and I could see it useful for a mana hungry bruiser and give them a little more viability.

How're you building Jayce, LK? I can never seem to get him rolling, and I'm wondering if I'm just loving up somewhere.

Yeah, I'm not sure how they'd balance Manamune between being hella OP and useless like it is now except for like, what, two champions? Jayce and Kha are the only two I can think of who'd want it and Kha doesn't even need it anymore cause both he and it got nerfed so hard.

AD Chalice would have to be rather weak on providing actual combat stats to not totally overshadow Manamune, I think. I'd like to see them take all the just straight up manaless champs (Garen, Kat, Riven, etc.) and make them have mana though, cause at least Riven might be interesting if she were forced to build Manamune, for example.

Uh, I haven't gotten to play Jayce too much, but I've generally been going Muramana -> BOTRK -> BC. I don't think I've had a game go on long enough to reach full build but after that I'd probably go LW -> IE -> Sunfire/GA. I've built a Maw in a game with a fed Akali though. I dunno, I basically build Jayce like I build Kha, I just have a ton of fun nailing people with lightning blasts and then beating the poo poo out of them with my hammer. :allears:

How am I supposed to play ranked, exactly? It feels like every game either my whole team gets rocked or all but one of my lanes wins and the one that loses loses cause some rear end in a top hat who's gold/plat/diamond is smurfing and is having fun crushing silver/bronzes. Am I just supposed to accept that I'm going to get smashed every game by a smurf and be useless forever in ranked? I guess that's the plight of a new level 30 Bronze V-III. :smith:

Edit: And the practice of saying "GG" after the game is obnoxious, unless it was a close game with evenly matched teams it wasn't a good game, it was probably miserable for the losing team, especially if you only won cause your bot lane is duo queue plat smurfs running Vayne/Thresh. It just smacks of rubbing it in and I hate it cause it's obviously supposed to be a polite gesture.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 1, 2014

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Can anybody give me advice on Kog'Maw other than the advice I my friends give me, which is "Don't play him?"
Kog can deal gigantic amounts of damage from a long range, but he's slow and squishy. You absolutely need someone to peel for you or you'll get jumped on with no escapes but Flash. Hence why he's hard to use in solo queue but great in tournaments where the players all coordinate nicely. I don't even pick him unless I have a friend on Skype playing a tank to defend me.

El Spider
Nov 9, 2012

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

It feels like he should be really good since his W gives him so much range, plus he has armor shred and % health damage when so many people are picking tanky champions now, but his lack of an escape causes a lot of trouble for me and I still get screwed even with the range increase.

I think part of my problem is probably I need to get better at last hitting, so I can get good items earlier, but as soon as the jungler shows up I'm probably dead unless I'm laning with Thresh or playing really scared.

Lucian/annie and leona/jinx are really strong lane combos right now that you might run into as kog, and they'll pretty much poo poo all over you at every stage of the game. If you're hell bent on playing him make sure your support is someone like lulu or janna that can get you out of a bad spot. Aim to have season 2 tanks like shen/malphite top on your team to take as many hits to the face as possible. Playing him solo is bound to get you killed and frustrated but if you can coordinate a team that allows kog to act like a turret lategame you're set. Just keep in mind that a lot of popular champs right now will ignore your entire team and throw you in the juicer despite all of this.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
:sigh: I've lost 4/4 provisional games, two as Anivia and two as Yi. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna lose all 10 and actually place in Bronze V. Why do I suck so much at this game? :smith:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Lightning Knight posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure how they'd balance Manamune between being hella OP and useless like it is now except for like, what, two champions? Jayce and Kha are the only two I can think of who'd want it and Kha doesn't even need it anymore cause both he and it got nerfed so hard.

AD Chalice would have to be rather weak on providing actual combat stats to not totally overshadow Manamune, I think. I'd like to see them take all the just straight up manaless champs (Garen, Kat, Riven, etc.) and make them have mana though, cause at least Riven might be interesting if she were forced to build Manamune, for example.

Manamune is already pretty hilariously irrelevant, and is relatively weak in game unless the game goes on forever. I think like, at max it gives you something like 40 bonus AD, for a total of 60-70. It's potentially good for really long games, which is it's balance. A more expensive version (Manamune is 2100 gold) that produced more immediate results would be a fine addition. Maybe like 40 AD, Chalice's mana regen stats + passive, and... I dunno what else. CDR? There's very little in the way of AD+CDR items, too.

Honestly I don't mind if it overshoots Manamune cause Manamune is trash and having an item that fills the gap for mana-hungry bruisers would be nice. Like, say.

Oasis Blade
Chalice (880) + Pickaxe (875) + Recipe (1045) = 2800
40 AD (Note: Could be more? 40 is probably lowballing it.)
15 Mana Regen
20% CDR
Passive: MANA FONT: Increases your mana regeneration by 1% per 1% mana you are missing.
Passive: Restore some percentage of your mana upon kill or assist.

There's a quick and dirty "AD Grail" that's probably terrible, but it would get the job done probably better than Manamune ever could.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Lightning Knight posted:

Edit: And the practice of saying "GG" after the game is obnoxious, unless it was a close game with evenly matched teams it wasn't a good game, it was probably miserable for the losing team, especially if you only won cause your bot lane is duo queue plat smurfs running Vayne/Thresh. It just smacks of rubbing it in and I hate it cause it's obviously supposed to be a polite gesture.

I'm in the habit of saying GG WP after a 5v4 or a troll on the other side if the other team played well and made a fight of it. It's not rubbing it in at all -- I'm acknowledging that they were good players and might have won in a fair fight.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
So I tried out AD Twisted Fate in a few custom and PvAI games, and he actually seems pretty strong. Having a 1.0 AD ratio on his Pick a Card makes it really hurt, and his E provides some good damage on top of the big attack speed buff. Been building Triforce, Statikk Shiv and either BORK or BT on him and he's done well so far in these practice games.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

This is some crybaby poo poo. Most people still have a good time when they lose, and well adjusted ones even go so far as to blame it on mistakes they made rather than smurfs or whatever. GG barely loving means anything, it's like saying bye before you leave. Nobody is rubbing anything in. You're just being a baby.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Well, I actually won a placement game, even though I got shitstomped in lane and my team might as well have been playing 4v5. I feel so much worse in ranked than in normals and I don't understand it, I'm playing the same champions the same way I usually do but I haven't had a good game yet, it's depressing. That my computer itself is crapping out too isn't helping matters.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

People in ranked tend to be better. If you're feeling like you can't win your placements, you could just play normals instead. I think the general suggestion is not to touch ranked until you've got something like 100 - 150 normal wins and got your full rune pages.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mysticblade posted:

People in ranked tend to be better. If you're feeling like you can't win your placements, you could just play normals instead. I think the general suggestion is not to touch ranked until you've got something like 100 - 150 normal wins and got your full rune pages.

I've won 143 normals and I've got rune pages that are 85%ish complete, I just feel really useless in ranked. My first game I got shitstomped by a Ryze as Anivia cause I had no clue what Ryze does and he just walked all over me, my second game was as jungle Yi and had the other team with their plat smurf duo bot that crushed my whole team (including our fed Zed, of all things), my third game I was third pick and had mid but some rear end in a top hat who was last pick decided mid was his and instalocked Brand, and I attempted and failed hard at taking Anivia bot as support and we got stomped in general. My fourth game I was jungle Yi again and we just got smashed in general, it was just a lopsided game and our duo bot refused to surrender so we had to play out the lovely game.

The game I won I took Heimer hoping I'd do better with a different champ and got utterly destroyed by the enemy team's Cait mid, of all things. Before we won the teamfight that won us the game (every other lane of theirs got hammered and they ended up surrendering), I was 6 of our team's 8 deaths and felt miserable, at one point I just stood there and let Cait kill me under tower (since she apparently has an AA range longer than the tower range) cause I knew running was pointless given that she'd just ult me.

:sigh: I feel good when I play normals but I've gotten destroyed in almost every ranked game so far. Only in my fourth game did I play marginally ok personally, and it was pathetically awful compared to my average normal game (where I can at least break even on KDA and usually take objectives, at least as Yi). I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong specifically but I figure I might as well get the provisionals out of the way and then I'll probably be a low enough bronze division I'll be able to start doing ok again against people my level.

Yo Eleven
Aug 5, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

My first game I got shitstomped by a Ryze as Anivia cause I had no clue what Ryze does and he just walked all over me

As someone that plays a little bit of ranked with even now only has 136 normal wins (I think I did my Season 3 placements when I had ~105 normals) you weren't ready for ranked. This sentence is one of those ones that you'll look back on later and go "Oh, I wasn't actually ready. I didn't even know what playing against Ryze is like." If you can't go through the list of champions and think of five seconds' worth of tips when playing against them, you aren't ready. I remember in mainly the last thread that you also get really irritated really quickly, and I'm willing to bet that an early death or two puts you on tilt (Caitlyn can destroy Heimer's turrets if she goes mid, and if she took you out early you don't stand under turret and let her kill you repeatedly, you call for help or take jungle creeps or move to another lane or do anything other than die repeatedly.) Take some deep breaths, don't finish your placements now, and keep getting better at the game. Breaking even on KDA isn't the goal. Objectives are the goal. Not dying is the goal. Winning is the goal.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I honestly think that if you look at a champ and you can't work out a general strategy for what to do base on their skills even if you don't know all the subtleties of the matchup you aren't really ready for ranked regardless of your wins. I played mostly support for my ranked placements and at this point I know how everything that goes into botlane normally works so I always have a gameplan in mind for winning or keeping the lane even. Whether it works or not is kind of beside the point but doing well in ranked is also very much a case of knowing the game as it is mechanics.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

So I tried out AD Twisted Fate in a few custom and PvAI games, and he actually seems pretty strong. Having a 1.0 AD ratio on his Pick a Card makes it really hurt, and his E provides some good damage on top of the big attack speed buff. Been building Triforce, Statikk Shiv and either BORK or BT on him and he's done well so far in these practice games.

The 1.0 AD ratio on Pick a Card is deceptive, because picking a card fully replaces his next auto-attack with the chosen card's effect, and his AD value gets added onto it as magic damage. So you're ultimately just converting your AD into magic damage for that one attack. Useful if the enemy has less MR than armor, I suppose, but it's not necessarily the force multiplier you might think it is.

At least...I'm pretty sure that's how it works. :riot:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 1, 2014

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I just played a game as Sona where I went 11/2/11. I legitimately have more fun supporting as Sona than trying to carry. Granted, my Sivir helped bail me out of some bad initiations, but I was still wrecking that game. This game is so much more fun when you have teammates who can effectively communicate.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Lightning Knight posted:

:sigh: I've lost 4/4 provisional games, two as Anivia and two as Yi. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna lose all 10 and actually place in Bronze V. Why do I suck so much at this game? :smith:

I went 3-7 in mine and went from Silver IV to Bronze V. I gained 29 LP for a few games and am halfway through bronze IV after a few games. You'll get to where you belong.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lightning Knight posted:

I've won 143 normals and I've got rune pages that are 85%ish complete, I just feel really useless in ranked. My first game I got shitstomped by a Ryze as Anivia cause I had no clue what Ryze does and he just walked all over me, my second game was as jungle Yi and had the other team with their plat smurf duo bot that crushed my whole team (including our fed Zed, of all things), my third game I was third pick and had mid but some rear end in a top hat who was last pick decided mid was his and instalocked Brand, and I attempted and failed hard at taking Anivia bot as support and we got stomped in general. My fourth game I was jungle Yi again and we just got smashed in general, it was just a lopsided game and our duo bot refused to surrender so we had to play out the lovely game.

The game I won I took Heimer hoping I'd do better with a different champ and got utterly destroyed by the enemy team's Cait mid, of all things. Before we won the teamfight that won us the game (every other lane of theirs got hammered and they ended up surrendering), I was 6 of our team's 8 deaths and felt miserable, at one point I just stood there and let Cait kill me under tower (since she apparently has an AA range longer than the tower range) cause I knew running was pointless given that she'd just ult me.

:sigh: I feel good when I play normals but I've gotten destroyed in almost every ranked game so far. Only in my fourth game did I play marginally ok personally, and it was pathetically awful compared to my average normal game (where I can at least break even on KDA and usually take objectives, at least as Yi). I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong specifically but I figure I might as well get the provisionals out of the way and then I'll probably be a low enough bronze division I'll be able to start doing ok again against people my level.

Just stick to normals because the time and effort that is involved with rank seems that it's just going to frustrate you, play what makes you feel good instead of what makes you frustrated. You've spent a lot of time ranting the past few pages and it doesn't seem like you'll get much enjoyment out of it. Especially if you don't want to take the time to learn.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

My buddy occasionally plays Koggles and the issue we had is we basically had to build our team comp around him, which only really works in 3man+ premade teams. I loved playing Sejuani at the time so I was dedicating my CC effects to what was threatening him so he could deal his tons of damage. One of my buddies picked up Nami on my recommendation so he could dedicate his CC to keeping Koggles alive. We stopped not long after because it basically works better with any ADC we found.

The biggest difficulty we found now is the amount of champions that have gap closers to get to him, but a lot of the dedicated assassins seem to have fallen off so I think it's a bit safer to play him now than it was like, 2-3 months ago.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Even though assassins have fallen off some, the most-played tanky bruisers in the current meta are all very good at diving a carry with no escapes.

I absolutely adore AP Kog though, just for how well he sieges. And in ARAM. ARAM Kog is such a beast.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah, that was what stopped my buddy playing Kogs, I tend to dive ADCs as Shyvana or J4 a lot and he said he can't really see a way to stop it from the otherside, so he stopped playing him.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Don't play Kog'Maw. It's probably the best advice you could get surrounding him. He isn't a bad hero, just not one you should be using. He is squishy, lacks escapes, has a giant target on his head saying "KILL ME PLEASE" and is extremely weak botlane in this meta. The amount of skill required to make Kog work is greater than the skill you would have in this thread, combine that with the fact you have to have a team build around defending him(which isn't going to happen, it's even hard to pull off in premades) and he just isn't a reliable guy to learn.

Last hitting practice is pretty easy(but a little annoying), go into a custom game, turn off runes and masteries and just last hit. Runes and masteries help you last hit, so if you can last hit without them you can last hit with him. Your goal is 80 cs by 10 minutes, little higher or lower depending on your skill level. You will probably not get that in games most of the time, but being able to get it during practice helps a ton. Run that drill every week or so and you will start to notice last hitting becomes something that you just do instead of worrying about. If you get to that point, you will be dramatically better. It doesn't happen overnight, but those are the steps that you can take to get there.

As for junglers(this is one of my areas that I am actually good at!!), my best advice to dealing with junglers is if you are playing normals(do NOT do this in ranked) is to play as ballsy as humanly possible in response to jungle ganks. Your team may hate it, you will probably fail all of the time at first, but if you use it as a tool you will learn exactly what can and cannot kill you in a jungle gank. If you do that enough, you will start finding most jungle ganks really ineffective and you will end up seeing a lot of failed ganks where before there was only certain doom.

Another option that worked for me that not everyone has access to(but I would highly recommend) is to play a game with a diamond jungler on the other team. If you have ever been ganked by a diamond Shaco multiple times, you can pretty much get out of any gank. Evelynn too. Anyone that can gank regardless of your wards. It's somewhat hard to explain, but people play differently depending on what factors are available. If you see a sudden increase in aggression and the jungler isn't on the map, you are probably being ganked. Playing against junglers at a higher level like that, who know where your wards are and how to bypass them, will help you get a read on people which you can translate to greater gank security.

Also, practice kiting, dodging and juking. I cannot tell you how many times I lived off of sub-100 health just by kiting them around and making it too risky for them to tower dive. If you can dodge skillshots you can survive the brunt of most damage, increasing your EHP by a considerable amount. For instance, if Amumu ganks you. Oh no! But if you practice dodging skillshots, you can see him flying at you, and he suddenly stops moving. By taking a sudden turn, you dodge his stun, and you can walk right to tower. Easy!

If they try to dive you, you can use the strongest kiting strategy in the game: ring around the rosie. Never underestimate that strategy. Never. If you are getting ganked by a melee champion, play ring around the rosie with the tower. You WILL get the kill most of the time. See, towers aren't just a thing that shoots stuff. They are also an impassable barrier. Most junglers are melee, so by abusing this fact you can force them to walk around the tower to get you, taking a lot of damage. I've played at all sorts of skill levels, and my range of effective games I've dealt with are Bronze to Plat and that is the one tip that has never failed to serve me well.

Lastly, don't ever panic. If you are being ganked, do NOT panic. Playing Tryndamere is the best way I ever learned this. Tryndamere, by the way, is an awesome hero to play because of how fun and ballsy he is, and he is pretty effective up until Gold(at which point he takes a lot of skill to win lanes with, so watch out!!). Anyway, with Tryndamere you can't use your ult when it feels right. You have to use it at the last possible second, otherwise you probably will end up dying. That's the way to treat the game. Health is a resource. Health is a resource.

If you are low health, you are in danger of dying, but you have yet to die. Don't say "I'm low health, I'm going to die!!". Calculate how much damage they can probably do. Don't blow summoners immediately. Click on the enemies, see how fast they run. Are you faster? Do they have a gap closer? Be smart about it. Making correct decisions like that is what makes you play better. If you panic you will probably end up dying, or wasting poo poo that you had no reason to use in the first place. If you are incapable of survival, and realize this, you turn around, and do as much damage as humanly possible without blowing any summoner spells and go out in a blaze of glory. Or you turn around and run in a completely random direction to keep them from hurting your team. Either way, don't die in an attempt to run. That's inefficient.

A lot of League playing is about making good decisions, and if you panic in response to a gank you are not helping that at all. Knowing your limits and being collected is the best way to get out of jungle ganks. Several goons who have played with me have commented on how I can survive things that I had no business surviving, but it really isn't that impressive, anyone can do it if they learn to see health as a resource. If you can't get a proper read on your opponent, sometimes the best option is to lose health in the short term to survive. Other times, it's just about how much you have practiced juking, dodging, and kiting. By using all of them, you will be able to get out of way more jungle ganks than you had ever thought possible.

E: Just to further drive the point home, do NOT!!(!!!!!) use summoner spells if you are going to die. Never ever!!! Unless you can get a kill with it, using a summoner spell that only has a small chance of saving you is not worth it. Imagine you use flash while being chased, but they are all full health and can dive the tower and do so anyway. Now you don't have flash in lane. Say you're up against a Blitzcrank or something stupid like that, something where you have to escape if you get caught out. You don't have flash now, you get hooked, you die.

pog boyfriend fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 1, 2014

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Uh, I haven't gotten to play Jayce too much, but I've generally been going Muramana -> BOTRK -> BC. I don't think I've had a game go on long enough to reach full build but after that I'd probably go LW -> IE -> Sunfire/GA. I've built a Maw in a game with a fed Akali though. I dunno, I basically build Jayce like I build Kha, I just have a ton of fun nailing people with lightning blasts and then beating the poo poo out of them with my hammer. :allears:

How am I supposed to play ranked, exactly? It feels like every game either my whole team gets rocked or all but one of my lanes wins and the one that loses loses cause some rear end in a top hat who's gold/plat/diamond is smurfing and is having fun crushing silver/bronzes. Am I just supposed to accept that I'm going to get smashed every game by a smurf and be useless forever in ranked? I guess that's the plight of a new level 30 Bronze V-III. :smith:

Manamune is still a good item. Jayce and Nidalee loved tear items because they got to charge it for free. Jayce was extremely overpowered on release, and was still a little overtuned at the time of his latest nerfs. However, :riot: nerfed both his kit and his favorite item at the same time. Now you have to play him perfectly or you'll lose your lane and be useless lategame because he needs so much gold now.

I would never build BOTRK on Jayce or Khazix. You want to stack AD on both of these champions. BOTRK is a waste of gold for an AD caster. Zed is the only exception - his ult is made for the BoTRK active. Every other AD caster wants Ravenous Hydra or Bloodthirster if you're itemizing for lifesteal.

My Jayce build would go like this: start doran's blade and rush a brutalizer. You'll then want to start your tear -> manamune if you're going to build it. If you don't have it before 15 minutes, don't bother. I would then go for a BF sword into bloodthirster. Then Last whisper. Now upgrade your brutalizer to a black cleaver. Your Manamune should be fully charged now. If you didn't buy it, work on a GA or IE or something.

I don't think AD Chalice would ever happen because you'd see it on a ton of AD champions, including top laners and AD carries.

Ryze is a champion that also got nerfed at the same time his itemization got hit. He's in a lovely place right now. The only way you should lose to Ryze as Anivia is if your positioning is awful and he gets a lead. He will still do a lot of damage if he gets close to you. so as Anivia, you would need to zone him away from you. The best way to do this would be to land a good Q on him if he walks up to you. Then throw an E at him and auto attack him a couple of times. After you hit level 6 he should be completely useless. IF you get behind or waste your skills on creeps, you'll need to apply pressure elsewhere on the map and hope he fucks up while roaming. Ryze may be able 1v2 once he gets a charged Rod of Ages and Sorcerer Shoes and a Seraph's Embrace.

With 143 normal wins, you have probably only hit level 30. You should play at least 100 more games before attempting ranked because almost every single person queuing up has more experience than you. Otherwise, ride out the lopsided losses until you get placed. You'll be in bronze but you'll be able to climb if you are learning each game. It sounds like you may not enjoy ranked now or ever. Don't keep playing if you hate it.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

my pog boyfriend posted:

E: Just to further drive the point home, do NOT!!(!!!!!) use summoner spells if you are going to die. Never ever!!! Unless you can get a kill with it, using a summoner spell that only has a small chance of saving you is not worth it. Imagine you use flash while being chased, but they are all full health and can dive the tower and do so anyway. Now you don't have flash in lane. Say you're up against a Blitzcrank or something stupid like that, something where you have to escape if you get caught out. You don't have flash now, you get hooked, you die.

This is very good advice, and something I sorely need to get better at. I burn Flash for nothing way WAY too often when I'm completely screwed and I know it.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

Lightning Knight posted:

You play ranked just like normals, except typically in my experience people take the game slightly more seriously and tend not to give up quite so easily.

Here's a general message to all newbies: This game is incredibly hard to play. I've been playing for a few years now, and it sounds like you just hit level 30, which means you are still terrible at this game, and you will be terrible for a long time. There are so many things to know and understand how they interact, let alone predicting what the tendencies of players are, and recognizing their mistakes, plus internalizing all of the mechanics that are basic to experienced players. Here's a small list of things that I have learned along the way: learning how to mechanically play the champions I liked, how to internalize when to use summoners and actives on items, which bushes you can safely face check, when baron is a good/terrible decision/steals, when you can win a 4v5 based on ultimates on cooldown, which champions can split push, how to react to a split push, when you can finish a game, and when continuing to push is suicide. This list is basically endless.

Play ranked (and normals) with the attitude that you want to improve and learn more about the game in order to win, not to show everyone else how good you are. If you take this approach, you will learn from your mistakes rather than worrying about whether someone on your team fed the enemy mid laner 15 kills and give yourself excuses for why you did everything perfectly. You won't care if you're silver or bronze, and you will carry yourself out of there pronto if you improve. If you watch professionals, many of them are constantly analyzing their mistakes, even in games that they stomped. If they go 15 and 2, they're analyzing whether the two deaths were avoidable, or whether they could have had two extra kills if they played a given scenario differently.

Also one more attitude tip: people have a tendency to want to prolong games where they are ahead. They're fed as gently caress and can one-shot even the tankiest member on the enemy team. This is fun, and this is why people play the game, so they tend to avoid closing out the game and instead start roaming and doing everything they can to run up their score and let people know how incredibly awesome they are. This gives enemy teams with a backbone the chance to get back into the game and come back. Conversely, people want to surrender games where they're doing poorly because playing from behind sucks and everyone can crush you, so they end up surrendering games that are absolutely winnable. Don't do this. Close out games where you're ahead as fast as possible, and learn how to play from behind (or stall games) in order to take advantage of teams throwing, which they will do.

Disclaimer, I'm also terrible at this game, because everyone is terrible except people who have made it to challenger or Diamond 1 99LP. Seriously, the pros will stomp people who aren't on their level - that means everyone who plays this game wins enough to get to approximately their level, and then wins 50% of their games - even if you're the top 1% of LoL players, you will get stomped 50% of the time and watch as you helplessly flail around your base as the enemy team does whatever the gently caress they want. Matchmaking works in this regard - if you improve and win more than you lose, you will climb the ladder.

Also there really aren't as many smurfs as you probably think there are. I leveled up a smurf recently, and it took approximately 15-20 games before I was clearly playing with experienced players, and by level 25 or so, the quality of play was probably higher than my average game at mid platinum. I'm not joking, based on in game chats, the queue was full of diamond and platinum smurfs and the play reflected that. The matchmaking in this game is generally pretty effective at picking teams (although right now with the MMR reset things have been wonky). Don't confuse someone snowballing a game with being a smurf, even if they claim they're a diamond smurf or whatever, if they're in silver or bronze, it's almost certainly bullshit.

mushi fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 1, 2014

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

mushi posted:

Also there really aren't as many smurfs as you probably think there are. I leveled up a smurf recently, and it took approximately 15-20 games before I was clearly playing with experienced players, and by level 25 or so, the quality of play was probably higher than my average game at mid platinum. I'm not joking, based on in game chats, the queue was full of diamond and platinum smurfs and the play reflected that. The matchmaking in this game is generally pretty effective at picking teams (although right now with the MMR reset things have been wonky). Don't confuse someone snowballing a game with being a smurf, even if they claim they're a diamond smurf or whatever, if they're in silver or bronze, it's almost certainly bullshit.

This is a good point to remember in both ranked and mid summoner level games. Once you get past your first few pvp games at level 5, you probably aren't really facing smurfs anymore since you will probably go even or worse decaying your elo, while true smurfs are likely trying to get to 30 and quickly jumping up ranks until they only play other smurfs. I was leveling up a smurf recently, and by the time I hit level 8 it was increasingly clear the people I was playing were not still learning the ropes.

As for ranked, true smurfs will rarely go out and say they're smurfing. Usually a telltale sign of a smurf is when they get first pick, do bans like heimer, soraka and blitzcrank and proceed to absolutely dominate the game. If someone throws out that they're smurfing after they kill you a few times, you're probably against someone your level whose having a good game. I know if I ever have a good mid game I'll tell people I'm Faker.

As mushi said, actual smurfs are more than likely fighting actual smurfs. It's actually somewhat rare to play against an actual diamond in a bronze game, and you'll absolutely know when that's happening. When the enemy Mordekaiser is 10-0 and pushing down inhib tower at 20 minutes, that's when you need to worry about a smurf. Not when enemy yasuo is 3-0, talking in all chat, and still hasn't taken out the outer turret.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

my pog boyfriend posted:

Ptsh, don't be a pussy. Some of my most genius escapes are from trying poo poo that's stupid as hell 90% of the time. Wasting the summoner spell is better than waiting for the perfect time which may never come.

Like potions in RPG's.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

E->W->Q, almost instantly one after the other. E gets you up in their face, W buffs your attack speed, which helps get out Q faster, and then Q refreshes the cooldowns of E and W with each strike.

But it also heavily depends on where you're playing him. That's a hard, all-in, gank-y combo and doing it too much is going to blow all your mana if you're in lane. And like all gap-closers on junglers, any time you can manage to hold onto E for if/when they try to Flash or otherwise get away, then all the better.

If you are in lane, the other option is to activate Q, hit minions twice, then E in and hit the knockup on your opponent. If they turn on you or you smell blood, hit W to hammer on them and win trades. There's also always the option of just walking up to them and hitting W->Q and bullying them a bit.

Note that Q refreshes your auto attack timer. So let yourself stab them once, and then hit Q right away. You'll do a sort of "boomboom" double attack and get that extra damage out fast.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Xachariah posted:

Ptsh, don't be a pussy. Some of my most genius escapes are from trying poo poo that's stupid as hell 90% of the time. Wasting the summoner spell is better than waiting for the perfect time which may never come.

Like potions in RPG's.

True, but I tend to really waste it by just trying to Flash towards my tower when I'm chased by three guys with gap closers and I have gently caress-all health which really isn't worth it. Something like a Flash over the nearest wall, leg it and pray is always worth a punt because the awesome escapes are worth the times someone else on their team will head you off a second later.

mushi posted:

...learn how to play from behind (or stall games) in order to take advantage of teams throwing, which they will do.

I really wish more people I end up playing Ranked with would get on board with this. So many times it's possible to turn things around from a reasonable disadvantage by just playing safer and baiting out something dumb from the enemy team, which happens fairly often. They're rolling down mid, your team is hanging under a tower, suddenly one or two of their fed guys get cocky, get caught out, die... Now it's 5v3, the rest of them go down and boom, you're blasting up mid yourselves to get an inhib down. Not a rare occurrence.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Robzor McFabulous posted:

True, but I tend to really waste it by just trying to Flash towards my tower when I'm chased by three guys with gap closers and I have gently caress-all health which really isn't worth it. Something like a Flash over the nearest wall, leg it and pray is always worth a punt because the awesome escapes are worth the times someone else on their team will head you off a second later.

One major thing I wish I would see more is people knowing when they are caught out, and instead of running for their tower which they will NEVER reach (being chased by someone with a perma slow, or a stun, or whatever), they turn around and make them pay for the kill. Running away while getting shot to death just gives them free gold. Turn your rear end around and go all in on them. You'll still die, but they just lost 25% of their health doing it.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011
Yeah completely agree, definitely something I need to get into the habit of doing.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Xachariah posted:

Like potions in RPG's.

You're saying this to the guy who says "I'll stall them" with 300 health, going in 1v3 and deliberately taking tower to bait them to me and surviving. There is a time to use summoners, and making a last ditch effort to survive is not them. If you know you can escape with them, sure, but otherwise use flash as a tactical nuke. People count flash timing for a reason.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FrancoFish posted:

One major thing I wish I would see more is people knowing when they are caught out, and instead of running for their tower which they will NEVER reach (being chased by someone with a perma slow, or a stun, or whatever), they turn around and make them pay for the kill. Running away while getting shot to death just gives them free gold. Turn your rear end around and go all in on them. You'll still die, but they just lost 25% of their health doing it.

Depending on the circumstances you can also make them waste time chasing you by running towards their tower/jungle and try to stay alive as long as possible. If you have 2-3 people chasing you it can give your team time to take down dragon or a turret elsewhere since they should be 4v3 at least.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Shadow225 posted:

I just played a game as Sona where I went 11/2/11. I legitimately have more fun supporting as Sona than trying to carry. Granted, my Sivir helped bail me out of some bad initiations, but I was still wrecking that game. This game is so much more fun when you have teammates who can effectively communicate.

I had a normal with Sona yesterday where the other team ran a Jinx/Riven kill lane, and after playing safe for the first few levels we let the Riven with like no farm overextend and just started crushing them. I finished 7/0/17 with two of those kills coming from the Riven trying to 1v1 me later on.

Once you get the hang of Power Chording, she's so much fun. I feel like I need to work on using the W power chord better personally, I always forget about it.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

my pog boyfriend posted:

You're saying this to the guy who says "I'll stall them" with 300 health, going in 1v3 and deliberately taking tower to bait them to me and surviving. There is a time to use summoners, and making a last ditch effort to survive is not them. If you know you can escape with them, sure, but otherwise use flash as a tactical nuke. People count flash timing for a reason.

I'm just saying don't wait all game for the "perfect" moment, I'm not saying you aren't a baller.

Tetraphagia
Jun 27, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

Once you get the hang of Power Chording, she's so much fun. I feel like I need to work on using the W power chord better personally, I always forget about it.

When is a good time to use your W power chord? I'm a big fan of Sona, but I know I'm not using Power Chord as well as I should be. It seems like W would be super situational, where Q and E are almost always good choices.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tetraphagia posted:

When is a good time to use your W power chord? I'm a big fan of Sona, but I know I'm not using Power Chord as well as I should be. It seems like W would be super situational, where Q and E are almost always good choices.

Essentially, use W for when you get engaged on. If the enemy carry is coming for you, W chord them, and then start building up to another one. It is very easy to underestimate how much damage her W stops.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Well, final score is 2 wins, 8 losses, and I ended up in Bronze IV. Woo for sucking.

Though my final game was jungle Yi and I went 22/2/6 with four triples and a quadra, two or three turrets, two dragons, and a Baron. I was so confused, I went from being totally poo poo on every game to it feeling like an average normal game where I'm doing well. I guess I won't argue, but jeeze. :psyduck:

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lightning Knight posted:

Well, final score is 2 wins, 8 losses, and I ended up in Bronze IV. Woo for sucking.

Though my final game was jungle Yi and I went 22/2/6 with four triples and a quadra, two or three turrets, two dragons, and a Baron. I was so confused, I went from being totally poo poo on every game to it feeling like an average normal game where I'm doing well. I guess I won't argue, but jeeze. :psyduck:

Guessing that the last game was your final game the algorithm probably put you up against some extremely low ELO players to try and more accurately place you. 10 games still isn't enough so your rank/elo is going to continue changing until about 50 games in, so don't be upset if you fall further than 4 (or super cocky if you raise up to 3)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Asema posted:

Guessing that the last game was your final game the algorithm probably put you up against some extremely low ELO players to try and more accurately place you. 10 games still isn't enough so your rank/elo is going to continue changing until about 50 games in, so don't be upset if you fall further than 4 (or super cocky if you raise up to 3)

Makes sense, they didn't seem like they were individually terrible - their top lane Malph actually poo poo on my Jax and our bot lanes were even - but I helped my mid lane Ori win lane against their Akali and their Nocturne didn't bother to build a jungle item so I think he was gold starved rushing a BT. We also seemed to have overall better teamwork than them and they had a bad habit of focusing me and letting me outplay them by W baiting them into a Q blink dodge so I could assassinate Akali and then Noc. I guess in retrospect the game makes sense, ah well. Hopefully I can crawl my way back up now that the placements are over and I'll ideally get people mostly my own ELO.

Edit: drat, two ranked games in a row where I did personally well and the team was ahead but we lost anyway. One cause our team just could not stop focusing their hyper tank Vi and they just got back in the game, and one cause our ADC had to leave for a personal emergency and we weren't far enough ahead to win the 4v5 (though we got close and I repeatedly deleted their carries as Yi, I just couldn't carry hard enough as the most fed person on the team). At least I know that I'm pretty alright when I'm against people my level, though. :unsmith:

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 2, 2014

• Locked thread