Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Fruit, fruit, tits, tits, plant, plant.

Good episode, I was wondering how LJS was going to keep his rear end alive. I see those with face melting STDs were relegated to the cave, but how prevalent was condom use back then? I want to hear a parrot do a safe sex PSA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Good second episode - things are looking up. Kinda disappointed they killed off the guy with the facial scars so early as he had a lot of character. The 'accountant' seems so out of place and it's funny every time. Really looking forward to seeing how this show turns out, enjoying it so far. It's a shame more people aren't watching it. The pirate political chess is pretty interesting and a side of it that I don't think I've seen on television before.

Also:
"Sure I can't suck your cock while you do that?"
"Uh thank you, no."
"Use my hand? Sing you a song? Something worth paying money for."

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Is Starz not available online if you have Comcast? :confused:

Captian Nuke
Aug 5, 2012
Actually what I liked most about this episode was that the characters actually shared information with each other instead of arbitrarily withholding it. I was worried that they were going to drag out the "who stole the map" plotline for half the season like Helix would have. Instead Flint and his crew compare notes and reach the logical conclusion immediately which then drove the rest of the episode. A nice change from typical writing on these sorts of shows.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

sleepingbuddha posted:

Good episode, I was wondering how LJS was going to keep his rear end alive. I see those with face melting STDs were relegated to the cave, but how prevalent was condom use back then? I want to hear a parrot do a safe sex PSA.
They were prevalent enough that they were attributed as the cause of a lower birth rate in England back in 1666. Seeing as the show is set somewhere between 1716 and 1720, (telling from the biographies of some of the side characters,) The opening text in the first episode say the show is set in 1715,* so it's not much of a stretch that they were in somewhat widespread use by then.

It's also been said that sailors were among the earliest adopters of condoms due to having sex with filthy port trollops causing your dick fall off and your face melt while you go bugfuck mad with syphilitic insanity. I imagine that spending a couple months between ports stuck on a boat with someone going through that would be all the motivation needed to reach for the sheep-gut when you get it on.

*Edit: got the date wrong.

Mad Monk posted:

I wish they would try to be at least a little authentic and pay more attention to the time period, the language is too modern, they don't have to go full out with it but they could tone it down a notch. When you have Capt. Vane walking around lighting cigars with a zippo, you know they aren't even going to bother trying.
Yeah that doesn't fit with the era, but to be fair, they didn't actually show him lighting whatever it was he used to light his cigarillo, (Ferrocerium strikers being the innovation with lighters), or even the device itself - just closing it with a ker-chunk noise in the blurry background.

My guess is whoever was in charge of historical accuracy saw that some time after filming and went "WTF those didn't exist in the early 18th century!" and the director went "uh, well...um gently caress... I guess we could make it all blurry so you can't see what he's using? I dunno." It's a pretty forgivable mistake considering the decent amount of historical accuracy in the rest of the show.

Captian Nuke posted:

Actually what I liked most about this episode was that the characters actually shared information with each other instead of arbitrarily withholding it. I was worried that they were going to drag out the "who stole the map" plotline for half the season like Helix would have. Instead Flint and his crew compare notes and reach the logical conclusion immediately which then drove the rest of the episode. A nice change from typical writing on these sorts of shows.

Yeah the writing is pretty tight considering this show is just starting out. In that sense it sort of deserves a positive comparison to Spartacus. Not sure what the critics were complaining about, but I have high hopes for this show.

Svaha fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 5, 2014

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

sleepingbuddha posted:

Fruit, fruit, tits, tits, plant, plant.

This has to be the thread title, pretty please?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I can see how they made a show about pirates on the cheap: having hardly any scenes set on the water. I hope we get more boat action later in the season.

Anyway this is still pretty fun even if it's rather silly.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah I really like how funny the show can be while being set against this backdrop of 'Everything is about to come crashing down' and the general downturn of things towards the end of the pirate era.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Hedrigall posted:

I can see how they made a show about pirates on the cheap: having hardly any scenes set on the water. I hope we get more boat action later in the season.

Anyway this is still pretty fun even if it's rather silly.

There are some big sea battles coming in the second half. :)

Edit: oh also, it wasn't made on the cheap.

Five Cent Deposit fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 3, 2014

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

VDay posted:

Yeah I really like how funny the show can be while being set against this backdrop of 'Everything is about to come crashing down' and the general downturn of things towards the end of the pirate era.

It's more like the beginning of the 3rd era of the golden age of piracy, (in the immediate aftermath of the war of Spanish succession), so they still have a good decade or so before it truly all goes to poo poo. Still towards the end, I'll admit, but at the beginning of the era where the majority of the most notorious pirates gained their infamy.

Mind you, pirate careers in that era were pretty short and generally ended violently. You could argue that the whole era from beginning to end was the downturn of the pirate era, but when people think of pirates this is generally the era they are thinking of.

Svaha fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 3, 2014

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah this show (at least on screen) looks to have a substantially bigger budget than Spartacus had. That or they're getting far better with their background filling CGI. A lot of the effects and specifically the arena crowd looked incredibly bad throughout Spartacus' entire run and it's a shame because that show deserved better. I was thankful during the first few arena scenes in Gods Of The Arena that they had a physical set with an actual live crowd there even if it was much smaller. The crowd in the bigger arena looked completely flat after being put in and it was bizarre.

Here's to hoping they do much more on location filming with their historical dramas in the future. I think Game Of Thrones has proven without a doubt that filming on location and having mostly real environments will make the show look leagues better than the competition. If Starz wants to be seen as a big player in original programming they're going to have to invest in it.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 3, 2014

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Really I thought Spartacus looks great and had way better focus on cinematography the GoT it's real life locations are usually super boring.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Yeah this show (at least on screen) looks to have a substantially bigger budget than Spartacus had. That or they're getting far better with their background filling CGI. A lot of the effects and specifically the arena crowd looked incredibly bad throughout Spartacus' entire run and it's a shame because that show deserved better. I was thankful during the first few arena scenes in Gods Of The Arena that they had a physical set with an actual live crowd there even if it was much smaller. The crowd in the bigger arena looked completely flat after being put in and it was bizarre.

Here's to hoping they do much more on location filming with their historical dramas in the future. I think Game Of Thrones has proven without a doubt that filming on location and having mostly real environments will make the show look leagues better than the competition. If Starz wants to be seen as a big player in original programming they're going to have to invest in it.

Spartacus had those awesome people who portrayed the crowd in the arena going all wild, shouting and loving and screaming and fighting. It was glorious. Game of Thrones is sterile as heck compared to that.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Charlie Mopps posted:

Spartacus had those awesome people who portrayed the crowd in the arena going all wild, shouting and loving and screaming and fighting. It was glorious. Game of Thrones is sterile as heck compared to that.

Yeah compare the Tourney of the Hand to well any battle in Spartacus and tell me which is more visually interesting.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah compare the Tourney of the Hand to well any battle in Spartacus and tell me which is more visually interesting.

Yeah, I thought Spartacus was leagues better than GoT at things like making the background settings feel like real living, breathing places with actual populations and getting a consistently epic feel out of their limited resources.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Yeah, second episode was a solid continuation of quality. I'm in for this season. I actually like that it's a lot of political intrigue since that's actually what a lot of pirating would have been in this case. I'm also warming up to Long John Silver now that we can see where they're going with him. Trying to figure out how they were going to trap him really kept my attention the whole episode, and I did not see his solution coming in the slightest.

This really is A Good Show.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I'm amazed at how the advance reviews are that this show is too TALKY. It's a drama.

Dead Snoopy fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 3, 2014

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Charlie Mopps posted:

I'm not saying the crowd itself wasn't great I'm saying the way they were inserted into the arena shots looked flat and ridiculously fake. It looks like the crowd is being projected onto a giant flat screen. It's not something that made me enjoy the show less it just felt like a shame because of how good the show is otherwise. There are other moments that stand out (Solonius in the arena) as being really poorly done but I really enjoyed Spartacus so I'm not going to say it wasn't a great show overall regardless.

So far Black Sails looks great so I doubt there is much to worry about on that front anyway. The one sea battle we've seen so far looked pretty good so the future ones on a bigger scale should too.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
It's too bad every female character / actress in the show is terrible. Particularly Eleanor in her petrified forest of woodenness. Spartacus had its share of boobage, but also good actresses and characters to back it up.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

pigdog posted:

It's too bad every female character / actress in the show is terrible. Particularly Eleanor in her petrified forest of woodenness. Spartacus had its share of boobage, but also good actresses and characters to back it up.

Poppycock

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think that knowing the plot of Treasure Island is probably about as spoilery as knowing how the slave rebellion ends in Spartacus. ie. knowing historically that spartacus loses and dies and that certain events 'happen' didn't actually spoil anything with regards to how the show depicted those events and chose to make them part of the intricate character plot and themes.

Similarly, obviously everyone knows (even if you haven't read it) that Long John Silver is in Treasure Island and he's looking for Treasure that's on an Island. There's certain implications there, but crucially all the additional information we learn about what's being depicted in Black Sails (and it is incredibly sparse anyway) comes from particular characters and thus can be hand-waved away with 'they are actually biased/lying'.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

Alchenar posted:

I think that knowing the plot of Treasure Island is probably about as spoilery as knowing how the slave rebellion ends in Spartacus. ie. knowing historically that spartacus loses and dies and that certain events 'happen' didn't actually spoil anything with regards to how the show depicted those events and chose to make them part of the intricate character plot and themes.

Similarly, obviously everyone knows (even if you haven't read it) that Long John Silver is in Treasure Island and he's looking for Treasure that's on an Island. There's certain implications there, but crucially all the additional information we learn about what's being depicted in Black Sails (and it is incredibly sparse anyway) comes from particular characters and thus can be hand-waved away with 'they are actually biased/lying'.

Took me reading IMDB to figure out that Billy here is actually a young Billy Bones from the book.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I'm not saying the crowd itself wasn't great I'm saying the way they were inserted into the arena shots looked flat and ridiculously fake. It looks like the crowd is being projected onto a giant flat screen. It's not something that made me enjoy the show less it just felt like a shame because of how good the show is otherwise. There are other moments that stand out (Solonius in the arena) as being really poorly done but I really enjoyed Spartacus so I'm not going to say it wasn't a great show overall regardless.

So far Black Sails looks great so I doubt there is much to worry about on that front anyway. The one sea battle we've seen so far looked pretty good so the future ones on a bigger scale should too.

Spartacus arena scenes, especially in the first season, had an aesthetic that looked cheap and fake (because, you know, it was cheap and fake) but the show understood its limitations, had fun with them and so it made the cheap & fake work for itself. Yeah, Solonius' death looks completely ridiculous, but that's alright, it works (for me, anyway)! It's even a bit... thematic, really. The later seasons somewhat abandoned that aesthetic, probably both because they had a bigger budget and figured out how to make stuff look good with it, and because it was no longer thematically as appropriate. I like Game of Thrones, it's a pretty show but it is not visually nearly as fun or exciting as Spartacus -- which is fine, they're going for a more grounded look anyway, but you know, that stuff is done in movies all the time with bigger budgets so it's really no surprise that even a very expensive TV show looks a bit lackluster in comparison.

So hey, Black Sails! Yea or Nay?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is way better than I was expecting. And it started stronger than Spartacus too. If this scales half as well then this is gonna be a good show.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Elentor I love your FFVII LP.

I like this show a lot. So the whole family that died and had all the cool body modifications/tattoos were supposed to be Moors right? I would have really liked to see them have a larger part in the story, so far for me they were the coolest part of this show even with their small amount of screen time.

Do you guys think Max was going to take the other woman with her all along, or she just asked her to run away with her and tried to play it off once she got caught? I think she just came up with that off the top of her head once her plan wasn't working out for her.

I like captain Vain and his crew of world of warcraft rogues and I think his theme song that plays every time you see him standing there, alone, contemplating pirate things like a badass, should be A Kiss From A Rose by Seal.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

MentholsNBeer posted:

Elentor I love your FFVII LP.

I like this show a lot. So the whole family that died and had all the cool body modifications/tattoos were supposed to be Moors right? I would have really liked to see them have a larger part in the story, so far for me they were the coolest part of this show even with their small amount of screen time.

Do you guys think Max was going to take the other woman with her all along, or she just asked her to run away with her and tried to play it off once she got caught? I think she just came up with that off the top of her head once her plan wasn't working out for her.

I like captain Vain and his crew of world of warcraft rogues and I think his theme song that plays every time you see him standing there, alone, contemplating pirate things like a badass, should be A Kiss From A Rose by Seal.

Haha I love Vain too. He's a pirate's pirate.

eternalbuffalo
Jun 8, 2005

Life still hard.
Wait, I'm confused. Why did he fall at the end? Did the hotness of his wife floor him??

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

eternalbuffalo posted:

Wait, I'm confused. Why did he fall at the end? Did the hotness of his wife floor him??

I think just exhaustion after keeping the whole treasure fleet thing a secret for so long, holding off the mutiny, trying to catch the cook before Vain got ahold of him, etc. Dude hasn't been able to rest for a long time, it seems.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

eternalbuffalo posted:

I think it was just all the day's events catching up on him. Unless I missed some switchover, the whole episode picks up right where the last one ended. So he went straight from that fight with Singleton to chasing John all over hell's half acre.

edit: ^^^^ also that.

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008

eternalbuffalo posted:

I assumed it was just him being relieved to be home finally. Especially after his whole thing with Eleanor and the treasure ship is a long game of being able to have peace.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Uh slight tip to everyone so that you don't repeat my mistake, the actor page on IMDB is kinda spoilerish concering the fate of characters.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Xoidanor posted:

Uh slight tip to everyone so that you don't repeat my mistake, the actor page on IMDB is kinda spoilerish concering the fate of characters.

If it's what I think it is, you've got nothing to worry about. Never never never never never never never never never loving never trust IMDB's information about the cast of future episodes. They're the last people to know.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also a good chunk of the characters on the show are real people, so if you really want to know you can just check Wikipedia. Or play Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag since there's quite a bit of crossover seeing as they take place around the same time period.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
^But Spartacus had real characters too, and many of them died in real life early on in the war but lived until the (near) end of the series.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think we can all agree that everyone should read up on all the real pirates in this show just because of how interesting their lives were. It sucks that Black Sam is already dead. That dude was something else.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think we can all agree that everyone should read up on all the real pirates in this show just because of how interesting their lives were. It sucks that Black Sam is already dead. That dude was something else.

The show starts in 1715, so Black Sam is still around. :)

Svaha fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 5, 2014

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Just catching II. WTF is Ponder Stibbons doing on a pirate ship?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Is John Silver extremely bad at math? He tries to sell (with a partner) a map for five thousand pesos for treasure that's worth five million. Unless his share is less than 1/1,000 of the prize, that's a loving awful deal. And of course there's a high risk of the crew not successfully capturing the treasure ship, but it's probably a wash against the risk of loving over a crew of pirates to sell to another crew of even shadier pirates.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I think it's more a matter of what people can afford as opposed to what it is worth. Vane's buddy had to take out the entire savings of their ship in order to purchase it. I don't think anyone on that island except for that guy whose daughter is running the place can actually afford to pay what the map is worth and that wasn't going anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I really hope somebody takes a look at the guy who plays Flint for a remake of the Shogun miniseries. He's practically a perfect Blackthorne.

• Locked thread