Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Build engine always felt janky compared to the Doom engine. It was part of the charm of Duke 3D to go with the bad '80s action movie puns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

The Colonel posted:

I demand that someone create a Pirate Duke mod.

Interestingly enough there already was

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCXtfj-g7gM

NoodleBox fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 5, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I disagree about the Build engine feeling clunky. At least not the way Duke3D executed it. The level design in Duke3D is absolutely perfect and I've never played a game, let alone a shooter, that had as much design sense as Duke3D's levels. You still have the winding corridors and wide open spaces of Doom but the build engine allowed for so many things to happen within the levels like adding new pieces, rooms within rooms, and destroying the environment. The backpack blew my mind being able to fly around like loving Boba Fett raining rockets of enemies.

But like Doom it set the bar too high and nothing really followed it. I like Shadow Warrior but the enemies are broken beyond hell and it seems like the weapons kill you more often than the enemies. Redneck Rampage has a special place in my heart for the soundtrack and silly humor but the levels are garbage and the difficulty ridiculous. Blood is good but it also fell into the trap of Shadow Warrior with unwieldy weapons and Redneck Rampage of being too loving difficult. I don't know how Duke3D got so many elements correct right off the bat. The difficult was perfect, amazing levels, the enemies were challenging without all having instant hitscan automatic weapons, and the weapons/items were functional and fun to use.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Duke3D is one of those games where I have a hard time playing custom maps for it unless they are similar to the original maps. The total conversions and episodes I've played seem to be the worst about this, especially when they add enemies that differ significantly from the original enemies.

I tried out a bunch of Total Conversions and episodes over the weekend, and I could barely get through one level in each because they were terrible in comparison. The custom enemies tend to be the biggest problem. They tend to take a lot of damage, and deal a lot as well. A good example is the insect soldiers in Realms of Grune. While they only take 3 shotgun blasts, they have can use a freezer weapon that kill in one hit at 100 health. This is an enemy that you encounter in the first level of the game! Then of course there's Platoon, which is loaded with hit-scan enemies.

VVVVVV I played through the Roch series again last week. Its probably my favorite set of custom Duke 3D maps.

Mill Village fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 5, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Have you tried the Roch series? It's vanilla Duke but set in big city levels, and it works great.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

al-azad posted:

Blood is good but it also fell into the trap of Shadow Warrior with unwieldy weapons and Redneck Rampage of being too loving difficult.

The thing about Blood is that it's not a first-person shooter. It's a first-person grenade lobber. You need to throw dynamite behind every corner, over every palisade, and through every opening, so as to blast away enemies before they get line of sight with you.

Shooting is the backup attack for when you don't have dynamite anymore. It's kind of like punching in Doom.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Luckily, the dynamite in Blood is probably the most satisfying explosive weapon in any FPS ever.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Luckily, the dynamite in Blood is probably the most satisfying explosive weapon in any FPS ever.

I have a soft spot for the devastator from Duke3D too.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Mill Village posted:

Duke3D is one of those games where I have a hard time playing custom maps for it unless they are similar to the original maps. The total conversions and episodes I've played seem to be the worst about this, especially when they add enemies that differ significantly from the original enemies.

I tried out a bunch of Total Conversions and episodes over the weekend, and I could barely get through one level in each because they were terrible in comparison. The custom enemies tend to be the biggest problem. They tend to take a lot of damage, and deal a lot as well. A good example is the insect soldiers in Realms of Grune. While they only take 3 shotgun blasts, they have can use a freezer weapon that kill in one hit at 100 health. This is an enemy that you encounter in the first level of the game! Then of course there's Platoon, which is loaded with hit-scan enemies.

I'm not a big fan of DukeD TCs because they seem less like DN3D mods and more like resources from various games glued together with Duke one-liners slapped on top of it. DN3D's enemies aren't the greatest, but I'd rather see them than another goddamn edited Doom monster or enemy from a semi-obscure 2.5D FPS and textures from other games all over the levels. I play Duke to kill Pigcops and Octabrains in cities, not recolored Cyberdemons in levels using Quake 1 textures.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

I'll try and keep this OP updated, so lemme know if there's something cool I should add!

Altdeath is (alt)dead, so maybe remove it?

I saw no mention of ECWolf in the "Other" section with Wolf/Spear stuff.

Oh, and the osnanet site for GZDoom is kind of useless now, so it'd be better to link to here.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

KozmoNaut posted:

Chucking dynamite into a horde of zombies never, ever gets old.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
So, I've got pirate doom, grezzo 2, megaman, and reelism. Are there any other doom mods out there that me and a few buddies could play that change up doom in interesting ways.

Are there any good map packs to use Russian Overkill in? And I think I remember someone working on a team fortress style class pack for doom, It wasn't samsara I think it was actually TF2's classes. But yeah, any good maps and mod combos or interesting total conversions me and my friends can try?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Yet somehow the dynamite in Redneck Rampage is one of the worst.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

QwertySanchez posted:

Are there any good map packs to use Russian Overkill in?

All of them :getin:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

QwertySanchez posted:

So, I've got pirate doom, grezzo 2, megaman, and reelism.

Oh man, you're in for a treat. Grezzo 2 is basically what Postal 2 tried to be except it actually succeeds at it. Running With Scissors really need to play that game and take notes for any of their future games.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

QwertySanchez posted:

Are there any other doom mods out there that me and a few buddies could play that change up doom in interesting ways.

Maybe Mayhem Mansion? It's surreal, absurd, yet strangely coherent. I figure if you like Grezzo2's WTFness, you'll have no reason to dislike this one.

In co-op, Stronghold or Shotgun Frenzy might be worth a try.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

King Vidiot posted:

Oh man, you're in for a treat. Grezzo 2 is basically what Postal 2 tried to be except it actually succeeds at it. Running With Scissors really need to play that game and take notes for any of their future games.

Yeah, I've had a bit of trouble finding what level names I'm meant to use to get the game started, but overall we've loved Grezzo 2 so far, love the weapons and the cars.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I reorganized the Doom Mod section for you.

DOOM
Despite 20 years down the road, Doom probably has the most active of all communities.
"Vanilla" Mini-mods - The following are improvements that don't really affect the vanilla game.
Pistol Start - Starts you off on every level with a pistol and 100 health (For one that works with Smooth Weapons click here)
Smooth Weapons - Adds "in-between" frames to the weapons making the animations silky smooth
Hi-res Doom SFX - Improves the quality of stock Doom sounds by replacing them with HQ-versions of the originals from the original soundbanks
PalPlus - An alternate palette that desaturates a lot of the blues and greens and improves contrast. For monster blood that matches Alt2 (Cacos bleed blue, knights bleed green, etc) click here for a goon fix.
Smart Scavenger - This one can't claim to be vanilla but it's useful. Picking up an item over your capacity causes it to cascade into smaller pickups. Ex. Ammo box cascades into multiple clips, shotgun box > shells, etc.
Doom Expanded HUD - An alternative HUD, much cleaner and unobtrusive. Screenshot & version that works with Smooth Weapons.
Doom Expanded - A mod that throws a whole lot of eye-candy at Doom. Gameplay Video
ObHack - Now here's an oddity - while it won't produce anything even close to as good as hand-made maps, ObHack will randomly generate you new levels to play. Not much reason to use it, as there's already more hand-made levels than you could ever play in your lifetime, but it's an entertaining enough curiosity.
ReDoom - A mod similar in aim to Beautiful Doom, except made by, uh, me. People seem to like it, though! Gameplay Video

Gameplay & Multiplayer Mods
Brutal Doom - The mother of all enhancement mods, and definitely the most popular Doom mod in recent memory. Somehow Doomier than Doom itself. Can be really fun but can also gently caress up vanilla balance on some classic level packs, use carefully. (Gameplay Video of Episode 1)
Æons Of Death - The entire history of the FPS genre, mashed into Doom. Replaces enemies and weapons randomly with equivelants from basically every FPS game in the past 15 years or so. It plays better than it sounds. Gameplay Video
Diaz: The Last Hours of Purity - Similar to Aeons of Death in a way, but much more balanced and coherant. Based around a more realistic, tactical style, so there's more human enemies.
Ghouls vs. Humans for Skulltag - Two teams duke it out with five very different classes each. Has an active community and is very frequently updated.
Ultimate Torment and Torture: Invasion for Skulltag - a little spinoff project, with five excellent levels for Skulltag's Invasion game mode.
Megaman 8-Bit Deathmatch for Skulltag - A full total conversion by the maker of Ghouls Vs. Humans, giving deathmatch a NES-themed twist.
Stronghold: On the Edge of Chaos - A massive invasion-mode style mod by the creators of Knee Deep In ZDoom.
Reelism - Another mod by me! Basically a "horde mode" game controlled by a pissed off slot machine. People seem to like this.

Total Conversions - Uses Doom engine but replaces almost everything
Action Doom - Doom, Metal Slug/Contra style. One-hit kills, with lots of slow, chunky bullets flying everywhere. Lots of fun, and very tricky. Gameplay Video
Action Doom 2: Urban Brawl (STANDALONE GAME) - Doom, Streets of Rage style. A totally new game with a Sin City-style plot, multiple story paths, lots of secrets, and fantastic production values.
Aliens TC - One of the first major "TC" (Total Conversion) mods, and especially famous for actually getting C&D'd by 20th Century Fox. Not as technologically impressive now, but a great museum piece.
BGPA - Liberation - A semi-realistic, semi-tactical mod set in a bizarre sci-fi world where South America has united and attacked Scotland.
Chex Quest Trilogy (STANDALONE GAME) - The famous cereal-box giveaway game, with a third and final episode. If you're not familiar, it's basically a kid-friendly version of Doom. Silly, but pretty fun.
City of the Damned: Apocalypse - Doom meets Blood, with a lot of survival horror elements, and no small amount of puzzle solving and exploration. It may only be a single map, but it's gigantic, and you'll be doing a lot of exploring and working things out. The only downside is a slightly lackluster final boss battle.
Cold as Hell - A more survival-horror take on Doom, set in the 1950s at an arctic base where things go to hell pretty quickly. Large and linear, with some nice features like a wounds/bandaging system.
Harmony (STANDALONE GAME) - A completely new game by one of the Doom community's best mappers, seven years in the making. Needless to say, it's worth a look.

Level packs - Typically uses vanilla assets and gameplay, but not always
Alien Vendetta - One of the best MegaWADs out there - 32 of the best levels. Utterly brutal on Ultra Violence difficulty. Gameplay Video
Hell Revealed 1 and 2 - Two more classic MegaWADs. Geared towards experts. You have been warned.
The Community Chest Projects: 1 2 3 - A mishmash of MegaWADs by the Doom mapping community's best and brightest. 96 levels in all... more than enough to keep you busy.
Demon Eclipse Episodes 1 and 2 - Two episodes of a planned five episode series, both very distinct feeling. 18 new weapons, 24 new monsters.
Deus Vult 2 - A genuinely epic experience, with huge levels holding enormous amounts of enemies. Expect to die a lot on Ultra-Violence.
Doom 64 EX - Run the N64 version of Doom natively on your PC! Requires the N64 ROM.
Kama Sutra - 32 more levels of blood and guts. Last level can be considered both NWS and hilarious.
Knee Deep in ZDoom - The episode that started it all, remade using every ZDoom feature in the book. Whether it's actually fun is up for debate, but it's certainly a great demonstration of how far the engine's come.
Memento Mori 1 and 2 - Two more much-loved sets of demon slaying fun.
Scythe, Scythe 2 and Scythe X Episodes 1 and 2 - Widely considered the best level sets out there. Lots of cool design, lots of fun fights, no frills.
Requiem - An oldie, but a goodie.
Ultimate Torment and Torture - Astounding amounts of depth and polish. Great art, tons of new enemies and fantasitc level design.
Vae Victus - Seven excellent levels. Short and sweet.
Zen Dynamics - Nine maps of semi-sequelish Doom action, with all new weapons and tons of new enemies.
Winter's Fury - Latest (and most system-demanding) partial conversion getting all the accolades.
Nuts.wad - Classic.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

QwertySanchez posted:

Yeah, I've had a bit of trouble finding what level names I'm meant to use to get the game started, but overall we've loved Grezzo 2 so far, love the weapons and the cars.

There's some kind of "English Patch" out there somewhere, I have it installed on my game but I don't remember where I got it. It's just one small file, if I remember, but it translates the menu options. Well, most of them.

edit: apparently there's also a subtitles patch - http://depositfiles.com/files/8jcfd9l4z
For that matter it could be the one I have.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 5, 2014

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Using ObHack in conjunction with Aeons of Death makes for an... interesting experience.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Postal 2 is a line simulator. You can make it through the game with the taser and not kill anyone. Apocalypse Weekend is the lovely, lovely over-the-top shooter that's truly the epitome of awful design in a (back then) modern game. I put it up with Contract JACK as far as expansion packs that miss the point of their base game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Postal 2 actually started getting updates again very recently after it sold well on Steam. They're pushing out a big one on Friday-ish with various improvements like more voices, slight graphic tweaks, extra easter eggs, and the hover shovel from SMOD.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

That's pretty awesome that they're still supporting that game. I'll have to check out that version, I had just assumed there were just releasing the Complete version from GOG on Steam and leaving it at that.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I didn't like how Postal 2 had level transitions every 40 feet unlike literally every other Unreal engine game. The levels aren't even detailed very well! It was fun as hell in a Beavis and Butthead way when I was 13 that's for sure. Probably doesn't hold up well today.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I seem to remember the transitions being things like tunnels with very obvious screenshots of the next area used like textures on the insides of it like a goddamn Road Runner cartoon.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I've been watching this, and my main takeaway is confusion at why Doom and its contemporaries didn't have driveable vehicles.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

The Kins posted:

Postal 2 actually started getting updates again very recently after it sold well on Steam. They're pushing out a big one on Friday-ish with various improvements like more voices, slight graphic tweaks, extra easter eggs, and the hover shovel from SMOD.

Yeah, I mean don't get me wrong I still love Postal 2, but Grezzo 2 is basically what Concerned Parents see when they look at a game like Postal 2. I also have the Steam version of the game and it's so much better than vanilla, what with the A Week in Paradise (vast) improvements built in.

I always kind of liked the game and would play it every now and then, but I considered RWS to be pretty awful in-general. But then the Steam version came out with little tweaks, the achievements which were a bunch of Arrested Development references, and a special stealth patch on Christmas Day that gave fat peds Santa hats. RWS are alright in my book now.

I guess we're getting off-topic a bit, buuut I think people should try this mod if they have the GoG version: http://runningwithscissors.com/main/index.php?topic=808.0

The vanilla Share the Pain version has a ton of amazing scripted weapons that do stuff I didn't even know was possible in the game, like turning peds into Buddha statues, a rocket launcher that shoots heads that can be made to spin and puke, a remote-controlled cat (and airplane) launcher, and a pistol that can grow, shrink, stretch and rotate any limb... and more!

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

QwertySanchez posted:

Are there any good map packs to use Russian Overkill in?

I had a lot of fun doing Combat Shock 2 coop with Russian Overkill. I also added coop starts to Holy Hell and did that one. I think we had to noclip once or twice since the map wasn't designed for coop but it was pretty fun mowing down 10k+ monsters with nuclear missiles and the like.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

I've been watching this, and my main takeaway is confusion at why Doom and its contemporaries didn't have driveable vehicles.

I don't know why but I find the thought of driving around in some lovely 90s sprite based car on mars shooting demons out the window to be hysterically funny

Doom definitely would have been better with hydraulics

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just tried out Holy Hell with Russian Overkill and uh...

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
If everything is in Czech or Polish, it's probably Doom: but on the Amiga

Testament/Testament 2, Insanity, 1997

They seem largely the same, but T2 has more niceties like redefinable controls.

Wolfenstein 3D again. In 1997. But! At least it throws a map (both auto- and mini-) in, avoiding Wolf's biggest flaw. There's textured floors and ceilings/skies, too.

Maybe it's because I'm fed up with D:BOTA games that feature enemies that are boring shiny robots quickly knocked up in Lightwave or whatever (yes, you, Breathless) but I quite liked this. Largely because instead of boring shiny robots, it goes full out SKULLS

SKULLS

SKULLS

and features enemies that explode like this:

Later levels seem overly tight on ammo, and, again, no in-level saves make things more tedious than they need to be, but they've avoided the usual trap of doing the renderer and adding on the game as an afterthought. A pleasingly teenage-boy enthusiastic-amateur attempt at the demons-n-guns atmosphere of Doom, if hopelessly out of date by this point.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been trying the new duke 3d port for pc and it looks cool but the lobby system kinda sucks due to few players.

What's the quickest way to get into online doom coop?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

SpruceZeus posted:

Using ObHack in conjunction with Aeons of Death makes for an... interesting experience.
Kind of want to try ObHack with DoomRL Arsenal now.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

ColoradoCleric posted:

I've been trying the new duke 3d port for pc and it looks cool but the lobby system kinda sucks due to few players.

What's the quickest way to get into online doom coop?

Zandronum.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Project MSX oughta be listed under the Doom mods section, because it's really fun and cool.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Ah, the famous Colt Delayed Reaction .45 -- it's easier to use one-handed since you don't feel the recoil until well after the bullet has landed!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Prenton posted:

and features enemies that explode like this:

Dang, check out that translucent fire! :fap:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Geight posted:

Project MSX oughta be listed under the Doom mods section, because it's really fun and cool.

Seconded!

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=25836

Also Psychic is interesting:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21681

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009
Although nearly everyone knows about by now, and it has won a cacoward, you should put Samsara up there too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Ahahaha, my external hard drive shat itself yesterday, which it terrible since I had all my doom stuff over there. Just a bit over 3 gigs of Doom, Heretic, Hexen, and Strife mods, gone. The upside to redownloading, they're small files. The downside, of course, is that that'll take loving forever due to the sheer number of them.