Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Madmarker posted:

Because it makes the faeries free?

You lose a lot on using Vial, in contrast to merfolk. For starters, it's innate card disadvantage, and faeries lacks the homogeneity in mana cost among its lords (it has one lord) as well as Silvergill Adept to recoup those costs. What's more is that innate flash on most faeries takes away one of the strong points of vial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Scion of Oona is almost definitely a 4 of in UB faerie decks. I think I like playing the following as my creature base

4 Scion
4 Spellstutter
4 Bitterblossom
3 Mistbind Clique
2 Vendillion Clique

3 Creeping Tarpit
4 Mutavault

I don't know how good that is, but I like it.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zoness posted:

You lose a lot on using Vial, in contrast to merfolk. For starters, it's innate card disadvantage, and faeries lacks the homogeneity in mana cost among its lords (it has one lord) as well as Silvergill Adept to recoup those costs. What's more is that innate flash on most faeries takes away one of the strong points of vial.

Not disagreeing, just an idea why you would play vial in faeries.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Whoever upthread said they were spec'ing Scion of Oona, good call - it's up to $5 mid. The Faerie land is doubled to :10bux: and Bitterblossom has hit $85. What on earth is going on? There's no way Faeries is that good. Modern has also changed an awful lot since faeries was around.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
My favorite two main enchantment is at 60 on tcgplayer o.O

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Tharizdun posted:

Whoever upthread said they were spec'ing Scion of Oona, good call - it's up to $5 mid. The Faerie land is doubled to :10bux: and Bitterblossom has hit $85. What on earth is going on? There's no way Faeries is that good. Modern has also changed an awful lot since faeries was around.

bitterblossom goes in more than just faeries (BW tokens, jund), it is rare, was always popular even while banned (cube, etc.) was $18 even when banned, and someone or some group bought up almost all of them 3 weeks ago so any copies on the market command a HUGE premium. A ton of people want copies right now to test with. I am in the camp that think a reprint in the modern event deck is very likely. If you don't need it for a deck just wait. If you want to see crazy prices, noble hierarch went from like $24 to $54 tcgmid since yesterday.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 4, 2014

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Tharizdun posted:

I doubt Scion climbs much more, it did just have a reprint in Modern Masters. Then again, all of these other jumps are goddamn insane, so who knows.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

jassi007 posted:

noble hierarch went from like $24 to $54 tcgmid since yesterday.

Domain Zoo?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

AgentSythe posted:

Domain Zoo?

Hierarch is the next-best mana dork for decks that ran DRS for that reason, namely Birthing Pod (which gets better for other reasons now that DRS is out of the format). Domain Zoo itself actually got a lot of use out of DRS.

thefailtrain
Apr 4, 2011

Counterpoint: More pink.

AgentSythe posted:

Domain Zoo?

Wild Nacatl got unbanned with Bitterblossom, so probably. Not to mention, I seem to recall Heirarch getting played in straight Naya Zoo anyways despite not making red.

edit: Plus what Pinata said.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Domain Zoo is probably not a deck anymore; Naya zoo just seems a lot better than it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
BB is also has the tribal subtype so it pumps Goyf :eng101: I don't think anything else in the deck is tribal, at least.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

C-Euro posted:

BB is also has the tribal subtype so it pumps Goyf :eng101: I don't think anything else in the deck is tribal, at least.

Fringe case for Nameless Inversion as removal from time to time.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

C-Euro posted:

I've seen one Seal of Fire and one Tarfire on occasion to get enchantment and Tribal Sorcery in the yard. On top of Tribal Flames and Lightning Bolt they give quite a bit of reach.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Sampatrick posted:

Domain Zoo is probably not a deck anymore; Naya zoo just seems a lot better than it.

I don't know, Geist and Tribal Flames are both pretty strong arguments for at least 4 colour zoo, and you may as well get a Blood Crypt or whatever in there at the same time.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sampatrick posted:

Geist of St. Traft and the very popular tribal flames, snapcaster tribal flames.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Scion has doubled in median price, still pretty cheap at $5-6. Secluded Glen doubled and it's around $10ish.

Ok so let's go on the assumption Faeries becomes a tier 1.5 or flat out tier 1 deck. If we're going to see more shroud creatures in the format, does this mean forced sac effects become even more desireble?

Korak fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 4, 2014

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Sampatrick posted:

Tribal Flames isn't really a Zoo deck in the traditional sense. While Naya Zoo ran 12 1-drops, the 5-colour version hoped to use DRS or Noble Hierarch to ramp into Geist of Saint Traft; it was more of a 5-colour goodstuff aggro deck, and if you're running all 5 basic lands types anyways Tribal Flames is the best damage-based removal you've got.

I can see the deck continuing to exist using some combination of Hierarch, Grim Lavamancer, or Scavenging Ooze depending on the metagame, but having ramp + reach + graveyard hate in a single one-drop made it way stronger. I suspect it'll less focused on turn 1 plays and may start running higher CMC stuff like Elspeth or Thundermaw to provide reach instead.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Korak posted:

Scion has doubled in median price, still pretty cheap at $5-6. Secluded Glen doubled and it's around $10ish.

Ok so let's go on the assumption Faeries becomes a tier 1.5 or flat out tier 1 deck. If we're going to see more shroud creatures in the format, does this mean forced sac effects become even more desireble?

Between manlands, spent Spellstutters, and the Almighty Bitterblossom faeries seems pretty resilient against forced sacrifice effects. Wraths seem like the direction that will have to be pushed if they become a problem, especially Volcanic Fallout and Supreme Verdict.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Between manlands, spent Spellstutters, and the Almighty Bitterblossom faeries seems pretty resilient against forced sacrifice effects. Wraths seem like the direction that will have to be pushed if they become a problem, especially Volcanic Fallout and Supreme Verdict.

Doesn't Pyroclasm kill everything that Faeries plays as it stands?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

Doesn't Pyroclasm kill everything that Faeries plays as it stands?

Pyro is really easy for Faeries to counter, you really want Volcanic Fallout

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

TheKingofSprings posted:

So a more wipe heavy UWR would be a good way of fighting faeries?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Sampatrick posted:

Pyro is really easy for Faeries to counter, you really want Volcanic Fallout

Man. Volcanic Fallout is really big game in that matchup.

It... it might be correct to just play RDW. Like, it might not just be a budget thing.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
How does Illness in the Ranks affect the gameplan of Faeries? Torpor Orb could also do some work, though it does make Mistbind Clique a bit easier to play. I mean, Spellstutter is a beating, since it's just a straight up Counterspell on a body.

Man, Wizards just really loving pushed Faeries as a tribe, didn't they?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Sort of related, does anyone else periodically get the idea that Engineered Plague must be in Modern because they know it's been reprinted with new art or with the new card frame, look it up to be sure and nope, that was 7E and FNM respectively? :negative:

That'd be a pretty good plant for a core set one of these years. Of course you probably still couldn't rely on resolving it against Faeries, but just in general.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Veyrall posted:

How does Illness in the Ranks affect the gameplan of Faeries? Torpor Orb could also do some work, though it does make Mistbind Clique a bit easier to play. I mean, Spellstutter is a beating, since it's just a straight up Counterspell on a body.

Man, Wizards just really loving pushed Faeries as a tribe, didn't they?

Illness requires them to resolve a scion to win basically. It will be at least a 1 of in the sideboard of my affinity I think, I'm fairly sure with lingersouls and bitterblossom tokens are a thing in modern. Jund is likely to run the ajundi variant or we'll see more junk variants.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

jassi007 posted:

Illness requires them to resolve a scion to win basically. It will be at least a 1 of in the sideboard of my affinity I think, I'm fairly sure with lingersouls and bitterblossom tokens are a thing in modern. Jund is likely to run the ajundi variant or we'll see more junk variants.

That angle for Jund seems pretty dead without Deathrite to help fix the mana issues.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

TheKingofSprings posted:

That angle for Jund seems pretty dead without Deathrite to help fix the mana issues.

I agree, but 3 color is not a problem BGx won't die, but bitterblossom lingering souls may lean the deck toward Junk not Jund.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

JerryLee posted:

Sort of related, does anyone else periodically get the idea that Engineered Plague must be in Modern because they know it's been reprinted with new art or with the new card frame, look it up to be sure and nope, that was 7E and FNM respectively? :negative:

That'd be a pretty good plant for a core set one of these years. Of course you probably still couldn't rely on resolving it against Faeries, but just in general.

I'm trying to make Goblins work in Modern so no thanks. Illness worries me too now that you mention it, does red have anything that deals with enchantments?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

C-Euro posted:

does red have anything that deals with enchantments?

I suggest prayer to whatever deity you believe is your protector, or philosophical contemplation upon the meaninglessness of playing Magic, and thus the lack of reason to worry about dealing with enchantments in red.

Or, I dunno, splash white for enchantment removal or something.

Jenx fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 6, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Oblivion Stone. :v:

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
Killing them before they can get an enchantment is kind of Red's thing.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

C-Euro posted:

I'm trying to make Goblins work in Modern so no thanks. Illness worries me too now that you mention it, does red have anything that deals with enchantments?

No idea if this is too slow for Modern, but I'm running Ratchet Bomb in MURDERGOATS.dec for this very reason (among others).

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Engineered Explosives for 1.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

L0cke17 posted:

Engineered Explosives for 1.

Oh, right, duh. :doh:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah, the deck is supposed to kill people very quickly so hopefully they just don't draw one. Honestly I would just side out my token generators for something else if I thought my opponent was bringing in Illness, though losing those does slow the deck down somewhat.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Bought playsets of volcanic fallout and firespout. Ain't no aggro gonna take GR tron down. Unless it does, then I'm gonna be sad.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Could Faerie Imposter see any play to get back useful etb faeries? Sorcery speed for it sucks but getting spellstutter back for 1 mana to keep countering spells seems useful.

Korak fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 7, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Korak posted:

Could Faerie Imposter see any play to get back useful etb faeries? Sorcery speed for it sucks but getting spellstutter back for 1 mana to keep countering spells seems useful.

Familiar's Ruse could be just as useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Boxn posted:

Familiar's Ruse could be just as useful.

Doesn't let you recycle Cliques of various stripes, and doesn't add to your Faerie count for Spellstutter Sprite purposes. Also can't swing.

• Locked thread