Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Robawesome posted:

and if you own a shop that sells Apple products, boycott them.

the most successful retailer in history. yes, surely they ill feel the burn of my corner store refusing to carry their products

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

theflyingorc posted:

im pretty sure bitcoins protocol does an excellent job of preventing COUNTERFEITING, but that has absolutely nothing to do with other types of fraud???

like, that's an advantage bitcoin has over cash - it is harder to counterfeit BTC than USD. that doesnt mean i cant tell lies because i have bitcoins

it is impossible to counterfeit coins under the protocol (software and buffer bugs aside)

bitcoins don't exist, they're another representation of the sum of a massively bloated transaction ledger

in order to actually counterfeit a coin, you need to counterfeit blocks. but in order for the counterfeit block to exist and the coin to exist it needs to get confirmed

and if it gets confirmed its no longer counterfeit but an actual transaction

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
slow friday

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

the most successful retailer in history. yes, surely they ill feel the burn of my corner store refusing to carry their products

Some mite-sized Australian telecom stopped selling Apple phones until Apple reinstated the Blockchain app. I hope Apple just stops letting them sell their phones altogether

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

theflyingorc posted:

i did so. if you can see that "akbarbitcoins" blocked you, then that's what twitter does

twitter.com/akbarbitcoins gives me a 404, whether i'm logged in or not. i am kind of stupid about twitter so if i'm doing this wrong just tell me

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
that really long post about digimon online exchange owns btw

I told him he was playing with people’s lives, and some people stood to lose their entire savings. Like Gonzague told me the night before, he mentioned technical issues, and that he would look into my case.
Then 20mins later at around 9.40am Gonzague arrived. “Good news” he said, we have sorted out your account, go and check it online. After I got Wi-Fi connection back the hotel I discovered my failed BTC withdrawal transactions had been cancelled and all my BTC were put back in the one place in the world I didn’t want them: The MtGox website. Back to joining the queue of 40,000 other BTCs.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Heresiarch posted:

twitter.com/akbarbitcoins gives me a 404, whether i'm logged in or not. i am kind of stupid about twitter so if i'm doing this wrong just tell me

forgot that my login wasn't my account name twitter.com/akbarbitcoins is my page now, if you can see stuff then that's me

also lol I have 47 followers from when the account was named "OUYAInc"

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
[–]lofties 28 points 3 hours ago
I had a job interview with MtGox a couple of weeks ago for a frontend developer position. After talking about their technical environment I declined the position. Contemplated publicizing my story, but I have zero proof that the interview took place. But gently caress me is their environment hosed up.
Either way, I have been recommending to my friends to move any BTC away from Gox as soon as possible, and regret not bringing this advice into the open. I'm a Tokyoite, so if you want to talk to me about the job Interview, or just drink a beer, send me a DM.

[–]sohhlz 9 points 2 hours ago
Can you give any more details of the interview and their environment?

[–]lofties 26 points 2 hours ago
I was told that up until a few weeks [at time of the interview] ago, there was hardly any development environment to test changes. Most changes were done straight on the production environment. Typing this made me throw up in my mouth.
The guy who interviewed me was very friendly, but I felt like a psychiatrist more than a job candidate. The dude went on about how lovely the atmosphere is at the offices, and what he told me about Mark seems to be spot on from what OP has said.
Interview guy, if you read this, sorry yo.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
[–]XSSpants 1 point 20 minutes ago
Bitcoin could really do with an FDIC-like entity.

Pygmy Pyrosaur
Jun 29, 2007

Welcome to
Kitty City

Dex posted:

[–]lofties 28 points 3 hours ago
I had a job interview with MtGox a couple of weeks ago for a frontend developer position. After talking about their technical environment I declined the position. Contemplated publicizing my story, but I have zero proof that the interview took place. But gently caress me is their environment hosed up.
Either way, I have been recommending to my friends to move any BTC away from Gox as soon as possible, and regret not bringing this advice into the open. I'm a Tokyoite, so if you want to talk to me about the job Interview, or just drink a beer, send me a DM.

[–]sohhlz 9 points 2 hours ago
Can you give any more details of the interview and their environment?

[–]lofties 26 points 2 hours ago
I was told that up until a few weeks [at time of the interview] ago, there was hardly any development environment to test changes. Most changes were done straight on the production environment. Typing this made me throw up in my mouth.
The guy who interviewed me was very friendly, but I felt like a psychiatrist more than a job candidate. The dude went on about how lovely the atmosphere is at the offices, and what he told me about Mark seems to be spot on from what OP has said.
Interview guy, if you read this, sorry yo.

wait, so whenever they were contemplating changing something, they just did it and looked to see if it worked?

lol

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

bitcoins: typing this made me throw up in my mouth.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Dex posted:

lol

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Dex posted:

how can people be this stupid

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Dex posted:

Most changes were done straight on the production environment

ahahaha

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ayn rand hand job posted:

it is impossible to counterfeit coins under the protocol (software and buffer bugs aside)

bitcoins don't exist, they're another representation of the sum of a massively bloated transaction ledger

in order to actually counterfeit a coin, you need to counterfeit blocks. but in order for the counterfeit block to exist and the coin to exist it needs to get confirmed

and if it gets confirmed its no longer counterfeit but an actual transaction

quoting a question I asked earlier

BeOSPOS posted:

here's a silly question, in a sustained 51% attack can the controlling party effectively revert past transactions as long as all succeeding transactions are recalculated/rehashed/whatever? Sounds implausible but would it be impossible?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

theflyingorc posted:

forgot that my login wasn't my account name twitter.com/akbarbitcoins is my page now, if you can see stuff then that's me

also lol I have 47 followers from when the account was named "OUYAInc"

yeah, i can see that page now. if you've got me blocked, i can't tell at all

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Heresiarch posted:

yeah, i can see that page now. if you've got me blocked, i can't tell at all

most social media stuff works that way - silent blocking tends to create way less drama, so most things default to that

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

BeOSPOS posted:

quoting a question I asked earlier

how far back are we talking here, because the thing about 51% attacks is that you write history faster than anybody else. so any transactions made after you started would be trivial, but going waaaaaaaay the gently caress back means starting from whatever block that transaction happened in and then catching up to now

so not impossible but kind of pointless

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

most social media stuff works that way - silent blocking tends to create way less drama, so most things default to that

yeah. apparently there's ways to find out but i don't really care that much. i don't think he did but it would have been funny

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
for anybody thinking "uh but wouldn't that totally be worth it if bitcoin was worth billions", yes, it would, which is why the network security is so important and can't ever be less expensive than the reward for beating it

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

BeOSPOS posted:

here's a silly question, in a sustained 51% attack can the controlling party effectively revert past transactions as long as all succeeding transactions are recalculated/rehashed/whatever? Sounds implausible but would it be impossible?

with a higher-than-51% attack, you could probably fork the blockchain at an arbitrary point

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

the coding equivalent of living in the zone.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

http://antonopoulos.com

a bunch of the links don't work because they look like "http://antonopoulos.com/blockchain.info"

master of the internet right here

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Heresiarch posted:

http://antonopoulos.com

a bunch of the links don't work because they look like "http://antonopoulos.com/blockchain.info"

master of the internet right here
he looks like a chubby version of the vampire kid from the munsters

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dex posted:

how far back are we talking here, because the thing about 51% attacks is that you write history faster than anybody else. so any transactions made after you started would be trivial, but going waaaaaaaay the gently caress back means starting from whatever block that transaction happened in and then catching up to now

so not impossible but kind of pointless

far back enough to reissue a large very transaction to your own wallet instead of the original recipient. (Does this make sense? I imagine you'd need the sender's private key to sign the old transaction. and not to mention retooling any subsequent transactions from either original sender or recipient's wallets. seems like a monumental use of resources & computing power.)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

twitter is loving awful at keeping conversations together, the url for the original tweet is now missing a big chunk of the back-and-forth, does this always happen or is there some special url i need to go to?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

it's never been hard to tell when somebody's parents did all the work

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Heresiarch posted:

twitter is loving awful at keeping conversations together, the url for the original tweet is now missing a big chunk of the back-and-forth, does this always happen or is there some special url i need to go to?

I noticed that too. I started looking at your other tweets and noticed it was still part of that chain. but I dont use twitter so i have no clue

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

BeOSPOS posted:

far back enough to reissue a large very transaction to your own wallet instead of the original recipient. (Does this make sense? I imagine you'd need the sender's private key to sign the old transaction. and not to mention retooling any subsequent transactions from either original sender or recipient's wallets. seems like a monumental use of resources & computing power.)

you'd need the private key for that so 51% won't help you. however if you have the resources to fork the blockchain from like 2010 and catch up to now you'd be able to claim the block reward from every one of those blocks anyway so gently caress it you could still be king butt

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

her dad made this, and then her teacher handed out awards based on how good the visual design is

good to see that science education in america is alive and well

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

so i just realized you don't even need an email to post at reddit, shitposting made easy

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
i am typing too many words about bitcoin so i am going to copy/paste some instead

[–]profBS 21 points 5 hours ago
Based on this story, I now suspect:
Mt. Gox has the coins. The coins are under lockdown as investigators crack down on them. Technical problem might be on purpose.
Thoughts?

[–]preferrous 10 points 4 hours ago
The coins are under lockdown as investigators crack down on them.
Very likely. Some government has probably subpoenaed the whereabouts of (at least part of) the cryptographic material needed to pull the coins out of cold storage, and now gox no longer has access to them.
Not lost, but not coming back anytime soon either.

[–]cypherreddit 5 points 3 hours ago
That would support the suggestion they are buying cheaper coins on other markets this weekend. They might be trying really hard to salvage the company.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

kiwid posted:

I noticed that too. I started looking at your other tweets and noticed it was still part of that chain. but I dont use twitter so i have no clue

yet another reason not to try to have actual conversations on this loving thing

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

i'm the hypothesis

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
did anyone post this yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHtzZukli3o

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

BEWARE: Tigerdirect and bitcoins (self.BitcoinMining)

submitted 40 minutes ago by d6ftRgNz

I don't know where to post this. r/bitcoin is more for companies starting to accept bitcoins and bitcoin news than anything else.

This is the account of the story as best as I can remember. Left out large amounts of time I spend on hold.

Story: The first day Tigerdirect accpeted bitcoins I placed an order using bitcoins. I haven't used my Tigerdirect account for a number of years, so I unknowingly placed an order with the wrong shipping address (billing is not needed as bitcoins were used).

After I had received order confirmation through email, I realized shipping address was wrong. I called customer service and asked if they can change shipping address to the right address. They stated they cannot do that.

So I asked if I canceled the order, would I get my bitcoins back. They stated I would get my bitcoins back within 24 hours. So I had the order canceled and reordered through the website with correct shipping info.

3 days later bitcoins still not returned, so I called customer service again and they stated that they do not return bitcoins but the refund would be in the form of a gift card, according to their website. I explained to them that I was told I would get the bitcoins back and I would not have canceled the order if I was going to get a gift card and I would have just arranged pickup of product with current resident.

Transferred to manager and restated my dilemma and they again told me the gift card solution. Then the manager said the transaction of bitcoins never took place as they did not receive payment from Bitpay. I assured him that the bitcoins were removed from my account and the manager then said the bitcoins would be returned to my account in 5 business days.

After the 5 business days and no bitcoins in my account, I again called and another manager said they were working on it. A particular customer service agent called me back asking for my contact info and a screenshot of the transaction of the bitcoins that were taken out. They then said they would work on the resolution of this.

After a few days I emailed this particular agent with no response after a day. I then called and left a message with no response after a few days.

Today I called customer service and was told to call corporate regarding this issue. Called corporate, got transferred to a manager, put on hold, then disconnected. Called corporate again and they said this issue is a customer service issue and was told to call customer service.

Called customer service again and was put on hold then told a gift card is the only resolution. I gave in as it has been 3 weeks and no resolution. The gift card would not be for the amount of merchandize but would be in the amount of the current exchange rate (who knows which exchange rate they use) of bitcoins to USD.

Currently the price of bitcoins is down because of MtGox closure.

tl;dr: made shipping address error on order purchased by bitcoins, canceled order being assured bitcoins would be returned, after various calls and large amounts of time on hold and dealing with customer service that seemingly did not want to deal with this situation, I am getting a gift card refund reflecting the current btc exchange rate which has taken a hit today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Heresiarch posted:

it depends on which part of the conversation you're looking at, sometimes it skips over entire threads because :iiam:

• Locked thread