Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Smash it Smash hit posted:

I have a clean boost, would that be good nuff for running in front of the volume pedal?

thanks for all the help!

Yes. A buffer is usually just a simple op-amp or a simple transistor set up to run at unity gain (+1), so set your clean boost at unity gain and it will act as a buffer. It may not have ideal characteristics like the aforementioned very high input and very low output impedance, but if the pedal maker did they job well, it should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Agreed posted:

Yes. A buffer is usually just a simple op-amp or a simple transistor set up to run at unity gain (+1), so set your clean boost at unity gain and it will act as a buffer. It may not have ideal characteristics like the aforementioned very high input and very low output impedance, but if the pedal maker did they job well, it should.

sorry I am very laymen here is gain+1 just an ear thing or a certain point/mark I should focus on?

that being said, is the eb jr any good or is there any recommended volume pedal I should look for at the same price mark range.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Agreed posted:

So forgive my ignorance here, but what's the advantage of True Bypass of a Buffered Bypass? Is there one? Can too much buffering cause ill effects?

I'm trying really hard to wrap my head around this. But why would a higher impedance input allow more voltage to get to the next pedal? Is it a simple matter or matching the input impedance of the pedal to the output impedance of the guitar?

Also why would you want the buffer to output a lower impedance signal? Wouldn't guitar pedals be designed to accept a high impedance signal?

Edit: So is it because the impedance of a guitar is basically unavoidably high due to the nature of pickups, but pedals still want the lowest impedance signal to insure that the maximum amount of voltage hits the circuit, and a true bypass pedal doesn't reduce impedance so many of them in a row means less and less voltage is hitting every pedal down the line. But a buffer early in your chain send a low impedance signal through all the pedals, thus minimizing signal loss?

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 10, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

sorry I am very laymen here is gain+1 just an ear thing or a certain point/mark I should focus on?

that being said, is the eb jr any good or is there any recommended volume pedal I should look for at the same price mark range.

EB Jr is fine, you just run into some tone suck as you've noticed

HollisBrown posted:

Edit: So is it because the impedance of a guitar is basically unavoidably high due to the nature of pickups, but pedals still want the lowest impedance signal to insure that the maximum amount of voltage hits the circuit, and a true bypass pedal doesn't reduce impedance so many of them in a row means less and less voltage is hitting every pedal down the line. But a buffer early in your chain send a low impedance signal through all the pedals, thus minimizing signal loss?

That's the idea. Of course, you can just crank the treble on your amp for the same effect, but that limits the tonal palette of your amp.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

HollisBrown posted:

So forgive my ignorance here, but what's the advantage of True Bypass of a Buffered Bypass? Is there one? Can too much buffering cause ill effects?

True bypass allows you to take the pedal completely out of the circuit, minus a few insignificant metal-to-metal connections and some not insignificant additional wiring. Generally. Most people don't have really nice fully set up boards with absolute minimum cabling, so I tend to assume that everyone is using some variety of longer all-purpose patch cable, and those can add up to a surprising amount of additional cable after the initial pedal. Having a buffer in front of the pedalboard (but after any fuzzes or old rear end ODs with terrible input impedance that basically require loading the guitar to work properly) turns the signal from a passive one to an active one after the point that the buffer is in the signal chain, but any pedal turned on afterward (or any always-on pedal, e.g. a comp you just love or something like that) basically negates whatever you were intending to get from the buffer.

Buffers only work until the next active electronic device is encountered.

Too many buffers raises the noise floor. Some BOSS pedals have ... really weird choices with as many as five buffers in some of their pedals, internally, and not very good ones, which can cause them to gently caress YOUR SOUND UP but only if you have a lot of them. Typically, again, your average buffer is just a steady-as-she-goes op-amp (like a TL-072 op-amp, which is an integrated circuit that uses a JFET for its operational ... amplification... right, continuing on) wired up for unity gain or very slightly above it.

One buffer, not five, and a good one, with a high input impedance and a low output impedance - variable, but high and low, usually quoted as 1Mohm in and under 50Kohms or less out, though that's kind of bullshit since it changes based on guitar voltage and on the pedal that comes next or the amp's input loading on the output of the buffer, but saying "well the input impedance is high enough, and the output impedance is low enough, cool?" doesn't sell pedals. It does the job of conserving your tone best it can (by ~mostly preventing a lowpass filter from your guitar, thank your cables for that!), and making the signal from that point on low-Z instead of high-Z, with a much higher voltage than a guitar could put out on its own without active pickups.

I mentioned that it only works until the next thing it hits, so you might think, well why not have a bunch? Buffer after everything, problem solved?

Don't do that. It will raise the noise floor unnecessarily. Buffer where a buffer is needed, and nowhere else. It's usually overkill to have two of them, one at the start and one at the end of your pedal board, but that's a setup that works for a lot of people. It would be ludicrous overkill to have buffers interwoven between already active electronic devices. Just going to raise the noise floor.

An alternative to using buffers is to figure out "EQ zones" in your pedal board and use active recovery stages (in other words, an EQ pedal with the treble emphasized a bit). Given how handy EQs are anyway, I don't hate this idea, though I do think it's only really applicable or useful in a live situation and a better solution should be (easily) found for tracking.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Or just use multieffects units and cut down on your cable use.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
One of my New Years resolutions was to learn the basics of electricity as it relates to music stuff. Is there a good resource for that?

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

HollisBrown posted:

One of my New Years resolutions was to learn the basics of electricity as it relates to music stuff. Is there a good resource for that?

I've always liked Beavis's articles, which vary in difficulty of comprehension, but are always well illustrated: http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Yeah, Beavis' articles are good.

I'm also a fan of Rane's technical notes for covering fundamental principles.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Literally Elvis posted:

I've always liked Beavis's articles, which vary in difficulty of comprehension, but are always well illustrated: http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/

ynohtna posted:

Yeah, Beavis' articles are good.

I'm also a fan of Rane's technical notes for covering fundamental principles.

Both good but I need something that starts from almost nothing. I know terms but I can't read schematics.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

HollisBrown posted:

Both good but I need something that starts from almost nothing. I know terms but I can't read schematics.

I am in no way condescending to you, this is genuinely a helpful resource. http://www.instructables.com/id/HOW-TO-READ-CIRCUIT-DIAGRAMS/

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

HollisBrown posted:

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/SchematicToReality/

Good enough as any guide.

Dishman
Jul 2, 2007
Slimy Bastard
A common word of advice unless you already know electronics... don't get too deep with transistors until you really get a grasp on the rest of the circuit. They're interesting and unavoidable creatures, but the inner workings can veer away from the general concept of "this does that to an electronic signal".

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Looking for a decent octave pedal, I heard the microPOG and POG2 are really good, also saw someone playing a Trex Octave pedal and it sounded sweet. Are there any other suggestions I should consider?

I would like it to be able to handle chords, also bass/guitar friendly.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Looking for a decent octave pedal, I heard the microPOG and POG2 are really good, also saw someone playing a Trex Octave pedal and it sounded sweet. Are there any other suggestions I should consider?

I would like it to be able to handle chords, also bass/guitar friendly.

I had a microPOG for my bass, tracks absolutely flawlessly with chording. You can get some really neat sounds with the octave-up as well. It's very very CLEAN sounding in its octaves... Which can be a positive or a negative. I loved it for a good while, then started to miss the sound of a good, rich, analog octaver, so I ditched it for an MXR Bass Octave Deluxe. And while I get great sound out of that pedal, and it tracks well, I miss being able to track double-stops and chords.

I haven't played around with a POG2... Definitely looks and sounds interesting, I'm just not sure I could get much use out of the -2 and +2 settings, plus I already have an envelope filter, so I don't need the one that's on the POG2's circuitry.

I'd say for a bassist, the MicroPOG is plenty. But if you're a knob-tweaker and want to experiment with some crazy poo poo, and have the money... go for the POG2

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Sounds like the microPOG is what I should grab, do you think it would be able emulate stuff like this on bass? I am not entirely sure but I think they use an octaver, on some of their records they do a chimey synth like stuff which I THINK is just an octave up?

any experience or opinion on the OC3?

For reference:
Live https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GZINrCk1xM

The synthy stuff is at the beginning - record https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFjXVGFvb6U

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 14, 2014

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Sounds like the microPOG is what I should grab, do you think it would be able emulate stuff like this on bass? I am not entirely sure but I think they use an octaver, on some of their records they do a chimey synth like stuff which I THINK is just an octave up?

any experience or opinion on the OC3?

For reference:
Live https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GZINrCk1xM

The synthy stuff is at the beginning - record https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFjXVGFvb6U

I can tell you right off the bat you won't be able to get that sound from the MicroPOG alone... You'll need some kind of dirt/fuzz behind it. Yeah I can't really tell what they're using or if they're just tuned way the gently caress down.

I've played around with OC3s in shops, but I've never owned one. I've always just kind of thought of them as being mediocre in terms of tracking/triggering, but they have that nice warm, dirty sounding octave that the OC2 had. Also, the polyphonic mode on the OC3 isn't true polyphonic. It only tracks the first note you play in the chord, generating the octave for that note, and then allowing the rest of the notes to pass through "dry."

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Scarf posted:

I can tell you right off the bat you won't be able to get that sound from the MicroPOG alone... You'll need some kind of dirt/fuzz behind it. Yeah I can't really tell what they're using or if they're just tuned way the gently caress down.

I've played around with OC3s in shops, but I've never owned one. I've always just kind of thought of them as being mediocre in terms of tracking/triggering, but they have that nice warm, dirty sounding octave that the OC2 had. Also, the polyphonic mode on the OC3 isn't true polyphonic. It only tracks the first note you play in the chord, generating the octave for that note, and then allowing the rest of the notes to pass through "dry."

Alright, yeah I was definitely going to run some fuzz with it as well. You might be right, the only reason I thought it could be an octave was the fact they use it a bit in their recordings.

That is good to know about the OC3, I was tempted to grab one since they are much cheaper. Might just wait and grab a Trex or MicroPOG just keep an eye out for a deal on one.

Wanted to use it for a organ/synth sound for bass and to replace a bassist for guitar. Thanks!

greg_graffin
Dec 10, 2004

he died for your sins!!
Crossposting this from SA-mart. Bunch of pedals on the cheap!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3603536

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Alright, yeah I was definitely going to run some fuzz with it as well. You might be right, the only reason I thought it could be an octave was the fact they use it a bit in their recordings.

That is good to know about the OC3, I was tempted to grab one since they are much cheaper. Might just wait and grab a Trex or MicroPOG just keep an eye out for a deal on one.

Wanted to use it for a organ/synth sound for bass and to replace a bassist for guitar. Thanks!

Boss MO2 is worth a try for organ sounds.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
POG2 and don't look back.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
They're taking orders for $40 iStomps at MF again, I was looking last week and nobody had them at that price. Ships next week.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I do love my iStomp.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Welp, I just had to go ahead and order one. Got an iPad for Christmas and I've barely used it, now I might start to get some utility out of the thing. The Angelic Choir pitch shifting reverb reminds me of the shimmer effect on my Eventide Space Reverb, and as much as I love that pedal it takes up way too much real estate on the tiny pedalboard I use for the punk/garage rock group I'm currently playing with. Totally forgot I still had a gift certificate from my dad for my last birthday, so I paid nothing for it. Looking forward to it, thanks for the tip.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Some how I have become out of the loop but here is a thing that happened over a month ago that I knew was going to happen as soon as the kickstarter went up two years ago:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deviever/console-ii-cartridge-based-multi-fx-guitar-pedal/posts/683655

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!
Knew before even clicking the link it was the devi never cartridge system. I never understood how it was going to work when you consider how important the pot values are to an analog effect. As I understood it the carts would have to interface with a built in set of pots that would be the same for every cart.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

uncle spero posted:

Knew before even clicking the link it was the devi never cartridge system. I never understood how it was going to work when you consider how important the pot values are to an analog effect. As I understood it the carts would have to interface with a built in set of pots that would be the same for every cart.

larger pots can be made smaller by putting a resistor across them. That's be one way around it. When I was screwing around with building effects a few years ago I had a test bed with power some pots an in/out jack and a switch. That I had hooked up to a bread board do I could easily test out new circuits. The cartridge system should have been a more permanent version of that.
It was a cool idea but I never thought it would actually end up being produced either.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Yeah, in theory this thing could of existed. Should it though? Hell loving no. Would of been a neat proof of concept though. Just another false promise and dumb idea to throw on the pile of her lovely business decisions (rip dubstep pedal). Best news to come out of this is that Dwarfcraft Devices has taken over the business. Sucks though that they have to deal with a line of effects that have practicly flooded the market though.

Also lol at the fact devi outright admitted to using half of the money on herself.

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 29, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Stravinsky posted:

Yeah, in theory this thing could of existed. Should it though? Hell loving no. Would of been a neat proof of concept though. Just another false promise and dumb idea to throw on the pile of her lovely business decisions (rip dubstep pedal). Best news to come out of this is that Dwarfcraft Devices has taken over the business. Sucks though that they have to deal with a line of effects that have practicly flooded the market though.

Also lol at the fact devi outright admitted to using half of the money on herself.

A dubstep pedal? Wouldn't that just be an automated filter and then maybe some internal trim pots for distortion?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

A dubstep pedal? Wouldn't that just be an automated filter and then maybe some internal trim pots for distortion?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deviever/dub-step-the-dub-step-guitar-pedal

So basically for $150 more you would of ended up with something that probably would of ended up being a worse Copilot Dubscope.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Stravinsky posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deviever/dub-step-the-dub-step-guitar-pedal

So basically for $150 more you would of ended up with something that probably would of ended up being a worse Copilot Dubscope.

It is weird how bad all of these ideas are and yet the Eye of God is such a neat pedal

donut
Feb 4, 2001

The Rondo Music thread appears to have disappeared, so I guess I'll ask here.

Does anyone have any experience with Rondo's CNB pedal cases? Like most of their stuff they're significantly cheaper than the alternatives, so I'm just curious if anyone had any feedback. I've certainly been satisfied with the two guitars I've got from them, but this is a new category for me to try with them.

I'm particularly interested in this one, but they appear to be variants on the same construction. I would be upgrading from an old Samsonite briefcase with a slab of plywood in it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Hey guys. I'm looking for a distortion of some kind. I love the Big Muff but I just want a cheap distortion that doesn't sound completely terrible. I currently have a Vox Pathfinder 10 and I'm not recording anything more than demos and I'm certainly not gigging. It's just a pain to record in chunks because the gain and clean channel is a button on the amp. So I really just want a footswitchable distortion channel. I was originally going to buy a new amp but I figure if I don't care a huge amount about getting "my tone" and just want to record something in one take, a good distortion pedal should do it.

I'm currently looking at a Jet City Shockwave, which is cheap and I like Jet City amps' gain channel. I know it won't be exactly like one but YouTube demos sound good. Should I just go for a Boss DS-1 or something? Both the DS-1 and Shockwave are around AU$70 here. Give or take a bit. Are there any other good options? It's the first and, so, only pedal in my chain. I'd love to get all the effects I use virtually (Phaser, Chorus, Tremolo, Delay) but baby steps. For reference, I usually like sticking my guitar straight into an amp's overdrive channel for this kind of thing. In AmpliTube I usually use a Mesa Dual Rectifier model.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Ds-1 will always be my answer. Buy five and chain them together for unlimited tone.

Also if you like the big muff I can't imagine it wouldn't be hard to find one for around $70. If not new then used because those things are everywhere.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

donut posted:

The Rondo Music thread appears to have disappeared, so I guess I'll ask here.

Does anyone have any experience with Rondo's CNB pedal cases? Like most of their stuff they're significantly cheaper than the alternatives, so I'm just curious if anyone had any feedback. I've certainly been satisfied with the two guitars I've got from them, but this is a new category for me to try with them.

I'm particularly interested in this one, but they appear to be variants on the same construction. I would be upgrading from an old Samsonite briefcase with a slab of plywood in it.

Yeah its fine as long as you want just a plain pedal case.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

Hey guys. I'm looking for a distortion of some kind. I love the Big Muff but I just want a cheap distortion that doesn't sound completely terrible. I currently have a Vox Pathfinder 10 and I'm not recording anything more than demos and I'm certainly not gigging. It's just a pain to record in chunks because the gain and clean channel is a button on the amp. So I really just want a footswitchable distortion channel. I was originally going to buy a new amp but I figure if I don't care a huge amount about getting "my tone" and just want to record something in one take, a good distortion pedal should do it.

I'm currently looking at a Jet City Shockwave, which is cheap and I like Jet City amps' gain channel. I know it won't be exactly like one but YouTube demos sound good. Should I just go for a Boss DS-1 or something? Both the DS-1 and Shockwave are around AU$70 here. Give or take a bit. Are there any other good options? It's the first and, so, only pedal in my chain. I'd love to get all the effects I use virtually (Phaser, Chorus, Tremolo, Delay) but baby steps. For reference, I usually like sticking my guitar straight into an amp's overdrive channel for this kind of thing. In AmpliTube I usually use a Mesa Dual Rectifier model.

I am personally not a fan of the DS-1. Well, that's not entirely true, some of the older units actually sound pretty good. Should probably say I don't like the "modern, stock DS-1" I quite liked Satriani's tone when he was running two of them in series for his distorted tone, back when they were MIJ and had some differences in the circuit, and I quite like the Vox Satchurator that I own, which is pretty much an exact clone of the Japanese DS-1 (right down to the Made in Japan part), but with an added feature to kick the voltage up. It's on a footswitch, and works great if the pedal isn't already dimed out but doesn't do anything to speak of if it is. It's quite a bit pricier than a stock, modern DS-1, though, but if you're handy with a soldering iron there are a few simple and very inexpensive component changes you can make to an off the shelf DS-1 to make it into a pretty good sounding drive pedal, for what that's worth.

I haven't had any experience with Jet City's pedals, so I can't speak to that.

You might want to look around for some used pedals. I know there's effectively a huge price barrier for anything that had to make its way from the U.S., but if you could get your hands on a used Barber DirectDrive or Barber Dirty Bomb (or pretty much any Barber drive pedal, honestly) there's a better than good chance that it's going to be in full working order as he makes his stuff to last, and they're the least expensive great sounding pedals on the market. In my opinion, of course.

If you're looking for a Mesa-in-a-Box tone, options there start to really ramp up in price. The cheapest I can think of that's worth mentioning is the Ibanez Tube King reissue, just because its used price is often quite low. It's AC powered, so don't plug the jack into any other pedal or it'll fry it, and if you are getting it used, make sure you get the adapter with it, but it has a very Recto-like sound and also a nifty built-in noise gate that's configurable and works quite well. It actually runs the tube at a fairly high plate voltage, though most of the dirt is still coming from other parts of the circuit. Don't confuse it with the original Ibanez Tube King, which is basically a Butler Tube Driver and sounds COMPLETELY different (and is also a lot more expensive to get your hands on, incidentally). The Barber Dirty Bomb I mentioned earlier does a damned fine Mesa-in-a-Box tone, if you can find one used for a not-outrageous price.

I'd consider a modern, stock DS-1 as a sort of last resort. I mean, yeah, it'll distort your signal, but it's not the most pleasant distortion in the world and you might end up wishing you'd bought something else but now lack the scratch to do so.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 7, 2014

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Stravinsky posted:

Ds-1 will always be my answer. Buy five and chain them together for unlimited tone.

Also if you like the big muff I can't imagine it wouldn't be hard to find one for around $70. If not new then used because those things are everywhere.

Big Muffs run about $90-130 over here it seems, even used. But I'll keep an eye out.

Agreed posted:

Agreed post.

Haha, I was hoping I'd get an Agreed post! I went looking around for a Barber Dirty Bomb or DirectDrive. Found one. For AU$195. Used :/ I'm really starting to get annoyed by the lack of music stuff in this place. I will keep an eye out though. Would you per chance have some clips of the Dirty Bomb or DirectDrive? I know what a DS-1 sounds like, but I think you posted some clips of the Barber's in the Newest Purchase thread way back. I know this because I am a dork who has re-read that thread four times entirely now.

I'm not really focused on a Mesa-in-a-Box, because while I like the sound and it's my default go-to when recording through AmpliTube it's a bit thin and whatnot. If I have money I'd probably buy a Dual Rectifier but it's not at the top of the list.

Now I'm confused with a pro-DS-1 and anti-DS-1 post each!

Edit: Oh, and what's compatibility like for US pedals? They're still just 9V right? So if I get a AUS 9V adapter it'll just work?

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 8, 2014

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I missed the part where you mentioned you live in horrible place for imports. Start scouring ebay and craigslist because anything else is going to kill your wallet.

edit: Not agreed but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWNfAl4Na7Q

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAevs9Fir3k

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 8, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

You can also get Big Muff clones for not too much.

You also might want to look into Danelectro and Joyo stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
For some reason the Danelectro Black Coffee is great with small, cheap amps.