Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
What stuck out to me most about UF's schedule is that they play 9 games in Florida. That's crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Florida never ever ever leaves the state of Florida for non-conference games. The first time they will in awhile is for the Cowboy Classic.

Michigan is getting paid $6M to be there, so I assume Florida will be around there too.

PizzaDelivery
Jun 25, 2007
Not delivering pizzas since 1988
Cal DE Ted Agu dies after collapsing during conditioning run

:smith:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Regnevelc posted:

Florida never ever ever leaves the state of Florida for non-conference games. The first time they will in awhile is for the Cowboy Classic.

Michigan is getting paid $6M to be there, so I assume Florida will be around there too.

Last time was Syracuse in 91 or something.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Utah State is going to beat Tennessee and it is Going To Own

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

gently caress that's terrible :(

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Tulane sent an e-mail to alums today that contained the following.

"The 2014 football schedule is being finalized and will be released shortly. We will host 6 games on campus, and all 6 will take place at Yulman Stadium, commencing with the official opening of Yulman Stadium vs. old SEC rival, Georgia Tech University, on Saturday, September 6. "

I really hope that stadium gets finished in time for the Georgia Tech game, but the rumors I've heard are looking like that might not happen.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KKKLIP ART posted:

and I don't know enough about Mizzou to know if they will have as much firepower (I know they have the giant WRs still).

Mizzou lost a ton on defense, I'm not as plugged in as I used to be so I don't know what the outlook should be but I'm worried about it. They should be pretty damned good on offense unless Mauk turns into a pumpkin.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Grittybeard posted:

Mizzou lost a ton on defense, I'm not as plugged in as I used to be so I don't know what the outlook should be but I'm worried about it. They should be pretty damned good on offense unless Mauk turns into a pumpkin.

The SEC has quietly had its defenses turn into poo poo in the past two years

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Utah State is going to beat Tennessee and it is Going To Own

Maybe 5 years ago it would've owned, right now it would be a so what. Tennessee doesn't matter right now outside of recruiting.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Declan MacManus posted:

The SEC has quietly had its defenses turn into poo poo in the past two years

Ahem. I believe you mean they have loudly turned their offenses into awesome so that they can score points against those amazing NFL level defenses.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

The SEC hasn't quietly lost lost its defense, it has been talked about quite a bit actually. But seeing Mizzou get its big defensive players taken makes me happy

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Augh gently caress this offseason poo poo, the suspense is going to suck. If Strong & Co. can get maximum performance from all the theoretical talent on our roster, and Savid Ash can stay healthy, none of our regular season games look unwinnable. A subpar first season isn't going to have me calling for Strong's head or anything, but if we happen to do really well out the gate, it will provide a much-needed swing in momentum. Gotta take that hype back and fast if we don't want to slip even further in the minds of recruits.

I was definitely impressed with how hard the new staff hit the recruiting trail in the 2 weeks they had, if they can bring anything like that kind of intensity while producing results on the field, it could work out. We don't have the SECSECSEC hype working in our favor and Strong's never going to be a Sumlin-esque hip guy who can connect with 17 year-olds about Drake and #yoloswag and all that business, but a good year out of the gate could make us competitive for some 5* guys, especially if A&M's recent top 5 recruiting classes end up bringing them all the success we've had following 4 top classes from 2009-2012.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Didn't Alex Collins's mom steal his letter of intent and hide because she didn't want him to go to Arkansas?

In retrospect that's a good idea though considering Arkansas was Real Bad

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

DJExile posted:

gently caress that's terrible :(

Really sucks. He just earned his scholarship after a few years on the team and it seems like everyone loved him.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Issues between a recruit and his mother appear to be a telltale sign that he'll be a really good college football player. Alex Collins had an awesome season for Arkansas despite toiling in obscurity. Landon Collins is Bama's next great safety prospect.

Malik McDowell will probably destroy poo poo when he gets to MSU.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I just hope he's ready to start immediately so we can have him and Shilique Calhoun on both ends for a year :unsmigghh:

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I'm cautiously optimistic and pleasantly curious about Auburn. Feels good after last years "Who the gently caress knows?" feeling.

Somehow I missed that WVU is playing Alabama to kick off 2014. Bama will have a new QB, o-line, and will be reloading it's defense. How is WVU looking? The Rain Game against Auburn in 09 was pretty cool.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Morby posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic and pleasantly curious about Auburn. Feels good after last years "Who the gently caress knows?" feeling.

Somehow I missed that WVU is playing Alabama to kick off 2014. Bama will have a new QB, o-line, and will be reloading it's defense. How is WVU looking? The Rain Game against Auburn in 09 was pretty cool.

Not so great, as far as I know. God drat though, I really want them to win that game. I'd give them a much better chance (still not good) if it was being played in Morgantown, but no such luck.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
A&M's football schedule:

I think South Carolina is a loss but other than that it's possible that we win all of them up to Alabama. After that I could either see 1-3 or 3-1 depending on how Auburn and Mizzou do (and/or which LSU team decides to show up on Thanksgiving).

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

There will be a dip in Defensive production next year, but the Tigers have good depth at a lot of positions where they lost players.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Thermos H Christ posted:

We don't have the SECSECSEC hype working in our favor

Yea, because Texas is a plucky underdog.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
I was going to make fun of A&M for playing Lamar, but Oklahoma State played them last year. :ughh:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Fluffdaddy posted:

Yea, because Texas is a plucky underdog.

If only Texas was in the SEC, then they'd really be pulling in recruits

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Scuttlebutt is that the Cal player that passed had the sickle cell trait. Terrible to lose anyone, especially a young guy doing what he loves.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

Scuttlebutt is that the Cal player that passed had the sickle cell trait. Terrible to lose anyone, especially a young guy doing what he loves.

This seems like something the coaching staff should have accommodated, if they knew he had sickle cell.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Morby posted:

This seems like something the coaching staff should have accommodated, if they knew he had sickle cell.

It isn't a question of if, the NCAA mandates that all black students are tested for it to prevent deaths. Usually it isn't an issue because you can just do a warm up for a bit more than normal to prevent the blood from deforming. Considering he was on the team for a while, I am guessing he may have been out of playing shape due to the off season and he just didn't warm up enough. Stupid, preventable, tragic. We will have to see how the investigation goes before saying the coaching staff was to blame. Initial reports is he complained, they outlet him right then and there and he became no n responsive as they were taking him out on a gurney.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 8, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
As expected, UCLA names its linebackers coach Jeff Ulbrich as our new DC.

Dude's done an incredible job both recruiting and turning our linebacker corps into one of the best in the country, so a well deserved promotion.

SmellsLikeToast
Dec 30, 2005

A GREATER MAN THAN I DESERVE

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Issues between a recruit and his mother appear to be a telltale sign that he'll be a really good college football player.

Who was the guy last year at the UA game whose mom was REALLY pissed off that he chose LSU over Bama (or do I have that backwards)? That was datgum hilarious.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

SmellsLikeToast posted:

Who was the guy last year at the UA game whose mom was REALLY pissed off that he chose LSU over Bama (or do I have that backwards)? That was datgum hilarious.

Probably thinking about Landon Collins, the safety. He chose 'Bama over LSU and mama was mad. This year, Collins' half-brother Gerald Willis (DT) chose UF over LSU. Mama has a similar reaction. It's fairly easy to see why they both left the state.

SmellsLikeToast
Dec 30, 2005

A GREATER MAN THAN I DESERVE
Yea, I couldn't remember for sure which one he chose. I do remember some of the family being decked out in LSU colors. I guess it was his mom. That was the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Thermos H Christ posted:

Not so great, as far as I know. God drat though, I really want them to win that game. I'd give them a much better chance (still not good) if it was being played in Morgantown, but no such luck.

Alabama losing consecutive games to Oklahoma and WVU would be downright magical.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

LiquidFriend posted:

There will be a dip in Defensive production next year, but the Tigers have good depth at a lot of positions where they lost players.

Losing a pair of DEs that put up 20 sacks between them obviously sucks, but the DL development has been so good lately that losing Sam and Ealy isn't nearly as troubling to me as replacing Gaines and Wilson.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zoran posted:

Alabama losing consecutive games to Oklahoma and WVU would be downright magical.

I'm pretty sure Nick Saban will publicly murder one of his players as an example if WVU beats them.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm pretty sure Nick Saban will publicly murder one of his players as an example if WVU beats them.

I am also pretty sure that OU is a good football team and WVU sucks.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Battle of the FSU back ups

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Faantastic. Auburn signee Kalvaraz Bessent was arrested yesterday on felony pot charges after being stopped as a passenger in a car with 200 grams under his seat. Always a chance someone else claims it or whatever but gently caress. 4* CB.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fluffdaddy posted:

I am also pretty sure that OU is a good football team and WVU sucks.

Hence my dreaming up an implausible and over-the-top reaction to an implausible and over-the-top scenario.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Faantastic. Auburn signee Kalvaraz Bessent was arrested yesterday on felony pot charges after being stopped as a passenger in a car with 200 grams under his seat. Always a chance someone else claims it or whatever but gently caress. 4* CB.

Sounds like you guys just got the next Honey Badger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Thermos H Christ posted:

and Strong's never going to be a Sumlin-esque hip guy who can connect with 17 year-olds about Drake and #yoloswag and all that business,

I'm beginning to think the football illuminati got the Texas coaches mixed up

• Locked thread