Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

LordSaturn posted:

Man, why does the only version with the Waste Land quote have to be multi-hundreds of dollars? :(

Also, was there a run on Wasteland lately? I know I didn't pay $75 each for my regular ones a month or two back.

Realizing this thing had jumped to $350+ got me to do my monthly "What judge foil has jumped in price?" check. Anyone know why the hell Mana Crypt spiked so much? ($250 for Judge, $200 for book promo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Some guy day-2'd a legacy event with monoblack that included Gray Merchant and possibly Nykthos but I haven't seen any indication it wasn't a crazy fluke.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I thought those tooth and nail/gen wave decks were using nykthos to make tons of mana, but I don't know if the decks are any good.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

Realizing this thing had jumped to $350+ got me to do my monthly "What judge foil has jumped in price?" check. Anyone know why the hell Mana Crypt spiked so much? ($250 for Judge, $200 for book promo)

Cube, EDH, and a very limited supply

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Bugsy posted:

I thought those tooth and nail/gen wave decks were using nykthos to make tons of mana, but I don't know if the decks are any good.

Is turn 2 hardcast Emrakul any good?

http://deckbox.org/sets/580380

To be fair, I need to be on the draw and draw 9 perfect cards. But still, turn 3 wins are pretty reliable and even when it doesn't, the deck's a lot of fun because people don't know what's going on until you cast Tooth and Nail entwined or Genesis Wave for 25.

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

Whaaaaat?! I just bought a Judge Crypt 2 weeks ago for $120. Low on TCG was like $122. What happened?

TicalStal
Apr 23, 2004
I promised America to the Fuhrer!
I started playing back during the first Rav and always had a soft spot for good old bob. I also liked tarmogoyf a lot given it was one of my few long term spec that paid off (I remember I traded for a few at the future sight pre release and showed my friends the card and they were like "meh").

When I played casually on mtgo back when I first started, I really liked seedtime because it was such a gently caress you to those draw-go blue decks that the payoff was awesome even if most of the time it was a dead card in the maindeck. Solemn simulacrum and eternal witness were my other casual favorites.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bugsy posted:

I have never played it or played against it but basically every pro I've seen refer to it just completely trashes it. It's fairly budget though so I bet it'll be popular.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

rabidsquid posted:

I have never played it or played against it but basically every pro I've seen refer to it just completely trashes it. It's fairly budget though so I bet it'll be popular.

It's probably not a deck that is going to win any major tournaments or anything, especially in my version where it's more of a combo deck than anything, but it's a ton of fun to play, wins out of nowhere, and it's pretty easy to make people misplay because they don't know what you're doing. Plus, Helix Pinnacle can be a valid sideboard option. I've always wanted to win with it.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
It can win a tournament but you're going to need to run hot. If your opponent shuts down your big cards, you have a bunch of wipeble things. The version with 4 Predator Oozes can get there after a board wipe. It's popular online because it's cheap and you can grind with it.

So I was watching one of the main modern brewers on twitch the other day and he was trying out a necrotic ooze deck. Seemed interesting.

4 Color Gifts seems to making a comeback online right now too.

Korak fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 8, 2014

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

I started playing at shards of alara block and only recently came back and my pet card from back then is this-

It is so much fun in casual games right now against my friends who run esper control with just etherling or not even a creature in their deck, which means a auto win since it completely mills them.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

Realizing this thing had jumped to $350+

I checked this and :stare:

I can't remember any other time when realizing I suddenly "have" over $1000 I didn't know about has given me such a sinking feeling. :smith:

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 8, 2014

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Since iOS apps are mentioned in the OP, have an adroid one:

MTG Familiar Card search, pricing, life counters, dice, Momir Basic generator? FREE. NO ADS.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
MTG Familiar owns because it's developed by a guy who loves Magic and doesn't want to dick over other players.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

My favorite cards from when I started playing? I loved royal assassin and will o' the wisp. Wisp was a defensive house and tapping down your opponents creatures with nettling imp and assassinating them or turning them into speed bumps with a sorceress queen was boss. Casting dark ritual t1 into a demonic tutor and a wisp or hippy/assasin is enough to make ghandi tilt.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Got my BNG fat pack today and opened two gods. :dance:

They were Karametra and Ephara :negative:

They're not terrible, all things considered, but they just don't seem as deliciously fun as Mogis or Xenagos.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TheLoser posted:

They're not terrible, all things considered, but they just don't seem as deliciously fun as Mogis or Xenagos.
Karametra might be the worst-conceived god from a design standpoint. Oh, you've got 5 mana? Let's get you some land ramp! :fuckoff: I can think of at least three better things to do in GW. Even "gain 5 life" would be more useful.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

My pet card is Chromium. It was the first elder dragon I ever owned. I sold it and regretted it later, but I've since picked up another. I know it's terrible, but I like it anyhow. Rampage was such a sick ability, they should totally have kept it around.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
My favorite card forever was Avalanche Riders. Nowadays I really like Young Pyromancer and Venser the Sojourner

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I run Avalanche Riders in a Naya Flicker deck I put together. T3 Avalanche Riders, T4 Restoration Angel while the echo is on the stack does not make for happy opponents, especially if you are on the play.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Tharizdun posted:

Karametra might be the worst-conceived god from a design standpoint. Oh, you've got 5 mana? Let's get you some land ramp! :fuckoff: I can think of at least three better things to do in GW. Even "gain 5 life" would be more useful.

To be fair, it has the biggest body of any of the gods, which I think is supposed to make up for the ability being kind of weak.

It could be cool with armageddon effects, I guess...

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
When this thread gets retired whatever you do don't make it Fallen Empires or I'll be forced to quit posting in it for 10 years or so.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
This might be a dumb question, but if I fuse Far / Away and target a creature to return, can the opponent then choose to sacrifice that same creature? I know the lefthand side happens first after resolution, but does the spell wait to resolve until both targets have been selected or what?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you called it Fallen Empires it would need to be four different (but mechanically identical) threads anyway.

e: ^ The sacrificed creature isn't a target. The spell happens in order - first the creature you targeted with Far is returned to its owners hand, and then the player you targeted with Away chooses a creature and sacrifices it. They can't choose the creature you bounced, because it's not on the battlefield at that point.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Tharizdun posted:

I'm hoping we get the development "score card" for Karametra in a future dailymtg article or as a bone thrown by Maro as to what happened. I think it's obvious that its ability was changed last minute with little testing. I don't believe the Future League somehow broke a 3-4 mana Karametra with the same ability.

Its Emmera + Voice switcharoo all over again.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Full Fathoms Five posted:

This might be a dumb question, but if I fuse Far / Away and target a creature to return, can the opponent then choose to sacrifice that same creature? I know the lefthand side happens first after resolution, but does the spell wait to resolve until both targets have been selected or what?

Far/Away only has one creature target when fused, the guy you want to bounce. As you said, the left side of the spell resolves first, so the creature you targeted will be returned to owner's hand, then your opponent will have to sacrifice a creature from those left after that.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Full Fathoms Five posted:

No, away targets a player not a creature and a player cannot choose a creature to sacrifice until the spell Away begins to resolve, which would not happen until the spell Far has resolved and returned the creature to hand.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

To be fair, it has the biggest body of any of the gods, which I think is supposed to make up for the ability being kind of weak.

A friend traded above value in his desperation to get the Karametra I pulled to use as the general in a new EDH deck. It basically gets her down, floats a ton of mana, Armageddon, then cast creatures with floating mana to get lands back while everyone else cries.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I stand by Birthing Pod as the best designed and most awesome card in magic history.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

redstormpopcorn posted:

MTG Familiar owns because it's developed by a guy who loves Magic and doesn't want to dick over other players.

MtG Guide is the best iOS app because it's 3 dollars one time and a good app and it updates constantly.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

a dozen swans posted:

I just wish they'd cite these explicitly, but yeah, good point.

It is explicit on Pay No Heed. It says William Shakespeare, King Henry IV, Part I. They still do it just not often. One I thought of now is the Dracula quote on Taste of Blood.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

redstormpopcorn posted:

Also a good looking app. Downloaded.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheLoser posted:

Wow, are you me?

Because those are the Gods I opened as well.

And then a Phenax in the following FNM draft. And a Master of Waves.

Special Mention of Things In My Box™

Pain Seer
One of Each Scryland
Flame-Wreathed Phoenix
Herald of Torment x2
Spirit of the Labyrinth x2
Courser of Kruphix
:swoon:Brimaz:swoon:

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Favorite card: Stunted Growth

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Went 2-0-intentional draw at FNM tonight with after P1P1 Kiora and P3P1 Sylvan Caryatid. I just forced simic the entire way, splashed white for glimpse the sun god (wasn't ever relevant). I put my shields down in my first match against a selesnya deck with T2 caryatid, T3 Kiora, pray to god they don't have a Mistcutter Hydra. He didn't, and I resolved the ultimate. Did it one other time tonight. :krakken:

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Naya ember swallower, lol.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

JerryLee posted:

I checked this and :stare:

I can't remember any other time when realizing I suddenly "have" over $1000 I didn't know about has given me such a sinking feeling. :smith:

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're getting at, but I always feel like there's kind of a mix between "Oh hey, I guess this card appreciated, yay" and the realization that I have X (where X = a way too high number) dollars tied up in wizard poker cards.

I foiled out my cube at (apparently) the last moment it was possible to foil a cube without bankrupting your family and going insane, and while I enjoy the appreciation that it's had, at some point soon it'll be patently irresponsible not to sell it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

A big flaming stink posted:

Probably due to the success of Jund Depths and Lands.dec recently. Only scrubs win with spells now.

Either that or just don't play any lands at all. It's all or nothing when it comes to lands.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Man, courser of kruphix is a house in limited. I just got done with a five round draft, went 4-1 going mono green after first picking that bad boy. Mischief and mayhem also surprisingly good, although risky.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Finally played Rakdos Aggro in Standard tonight; for some reason, there were only six players.

Round 1 I played an even faster mono red aggro deck. 0-2.

Round 2 I DEMOLISHED a RWU control deck. Doom Blading an AEtherling and actually killing it is an awesome feeling. Also, my opponent had to read almost everything and that was fantastic.

Round 3 I played mono green ramp. Game 1, turn four Mogis's Marauder ended the game. Game 2, he played a lot of big monsters, but I managed to keep playing guys and spells and eventually pulled it out.

I'm in love with the deck. I will be playing it even more in the coming weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

CountFosco posted:

Man, courser of kruphix is a house in limited. I just got done with a five round draft, went 4-1 going mono green after first picking that bad boy. Mischief and mayhem also surprisingly good, although risky.

I keep hearing this a lot.

You guys do know his ability doesn't let you play extra lands right? You still only get to play 1 per turn unless other effects are involved. I saw a few people at my pre-release misunderstand that ability.

• Locked thread