Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icecastle
Jun 9, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

Manicure's a great anthem and the only song on the album that isn't pat Lady Gaga.

Teeth before Monster, but yeah, anything would have been better than Alejandro.

I think Alejandro is a great song. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

icecastle posted:

I think Alejandro is a great song. :shrug:

Yeah, but it's not really a single

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy
Alejandro being a single before Dance in the Dark baffles me.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

TheChaosPath posted:

Yeah, but it's not really a single

For something that's not a single it miraculously reached the Top 10 in nearly every country under the sun. I would agree that Dance In The Dark might have done even better though.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Manicure's a great anthem and the only song on the album that isn't pat Lady Gaga.

Not entirely sure what you mean by pat but Sex Dreams is quite a distinctive and engaging track that would make a good single, and isn't entirely similar to her other singles.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Sex Dreams is only better than Jewels and Drugs in my opinion. :smug:

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Apparently the next single is gypsy.

Source: the meltdown thread on gaga daily.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
hell yeah because Gypsy is great

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Oh awesome. I love Gypsy but I never expected it to be picked as a single. This rules.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So Gypsy as a single was apparently a mistake made by Interscope as Gaga & Co never said anything to them about releasing it as a single, but who knows! Maybe some time later :v:

And now European dates have been confirmed! (Taken from a Norwegian fansite)

"Rest of the European dates:
( Antwerp: 23 sept,
Amsterdam 25 sept,
Herning 27 sept,
Oslo Telenor Arena 29 sept,
Stockholm globen 30 sept,
hamburg 3 oct,
Prague 5 oct,
Koln 7 oct,
Berlin 9 oct,
30 & 31 oct paris,
2 nov vienna,
4 nov milan,
6 nov Zurich,
8 nov barcelona,
lisbon 10 nov. )"

Already pumped and ready to go to see her in Oslo! Might I be seeing one of you guys there too? :D

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Maybe, but I'll probably go Stockholm instead :v:

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I hope gaga becomes the it girl again. She peaked already but I'm getting tired of everyone dogging her now. I mean, this era was a mess and I get it, but give the girl a break.

"She's over" seems to be the mentality on pop music forums nowadays.

I think an album produced by Rick Rubin would be awesome, he seems perfect for her.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

somnambulist posted:

I hope gaga becomes the it girl again. She peaked already but I'm getting tired of everyone dogging her now. I mean, this era was a mess and I get it, but give the girl a break.

"She's over" seems to be the mentality on pop music forums nowadays.

I think an album produced by Rick Rubin would be awesome, he seems perfect for her.

I think the whole trying to make her work pass off as art was the reason why the general public lost interest in her. I mean, for me personally, I like that she's trying to make pop music and videos as art and I enjoy watching her creativity unfold. But the general public really doesn't care about that. What they want back is the girl who was a bit crazy, dressed in weird clothes but that made fun and crazy music and videos. But when she keeps on going on and on and on about people should recognize her as a true artist and the epitome of pop creativity, it's no wonder people are starting to feel disconnected to her.¨

Edit: And it's definately about the music as well. While Katy Perry and Rihanna can dish out songs that are instant-radio hits and will be played for some months, they are quickly forgotten again and are forced to dish out even more singles to remain relevant. I mean, who remembers what Rihanna released in 2009 and still keep it on their playlist? I know several of my friends still love both the old and new gaga songs, though most prefer the old because they were genuinely good songs that can last for a very long time, but that's what no the general public cares about. They want something fast and quick, something that will be on their mind for a while but that can and will be quickly forgotten again.

Stalins Moustache fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 30, 2014

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Britney Spears just made a post on Facebook about doing something with Gaga soon.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Do people really not remember "Umbrella" anymore? Because I feel like I hear about a dozen references every day it rains.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

Do people really not remember "Umbrella" anymore? Because I feel like I hear about a dozen references every day it rains.

Yeah that's a good song. Great production on it.

Also I don't really mind if Gaga is not a megastar anymore, as long as she keeps doing her thing, making good music and has a solid fan base she'll be fine. Certainly a few image adjustments would not hurt at this point though.

Kuikka
Aug 16, 2006
Back in the day, I was really taken with Gaga's Bad Romance music video. I genuinely thought that this was a woman who really understood what pop culture was all about. She was willing to collaborate with the best art directors, choreographers and music video directors to create an image for herself that was fantastic, unique and complete. Back then she also referred to her catchy pop songs as catchy pop songs because that's what they are.

I think somewhere along the line she lost her way regarding her own input. Slowly but surely she severed ties with all the key people who were there making it all happen. Back in the day we had NO IDEA that Gaga wasn't the strongest dancer because Laurieann Gibson made sure we never knew (personally I think that Gibson's role in Gaga's stardom was crucial). But the women ended up clashing and Gibson had to go. Gaga also sent her art director Nicola Formichetti packing because he could no longer meet her needs. And there's really no denying that Troy Carter was the mastermind behind Gaga's way of relating with her fans through social media. Three key professionals are gone and the general audience thinks she has lost her originality and relatability.

Here are two videos that really summarize the huge difference between Lady Gaga & Co. and Lady Gaga flying solo.

SNL 2011: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jllBU1SIEUg

Now imagine what that performance would have been like without a great choreography (suited for Gaga's needs but still visually very interesting), hugely talented dancers and amazing art direction? Here's your answer.

SNL 2013: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4123vzCDS4

Kuikka fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 1, 2014

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
Gaga is either getting tired of people trying to mold her, or not putting up with people trying to sell her out. As far as recent things go, I really hope news of the people she works with is under investigation. (The DWUW video hasn't been released...)

Remember the quote during the old lady scene in SNL? "I should fire my manager" because of a singing toilet? Remember those toothbrushes that were sold playing Born This Way?

I have my own personal feelings on the matter, one of which is that when she mentions 'betrayal' that in reality, her manager was taking her career to the bank with stupid ideas that have nothing to do with how she genuinely feels about her music/fans.

I also remember her leaving the VMAs because One Direction was being booed. I bet you Troy and her clashed horns, because he wanted her to stay.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Bina posted:

Gaga is either getting tired of people trying to mold her, or not putting up with people trying to sell her out. As far as recent things go, I really hope news of the people she works with is under investigation. (The DWUW video hasn't been released...)

Remember the quote during the old lady scene in SNL? "I should fire my manager" because of a singing toilet? Remember those toothbrushes that were sold playing Born This Way?

I have my own personal feelings on the matter, one of which is that when she mentions 'betrayal' that in reality, her manager was taking her career to the bank with stupid ideas that have nothing to do with how she genuinely feels about her music/fans.

I also remember her leaving the VMAs because One Direction was being booed. I bet you Troy and her clashed horns, because he wanted her to stay.

While it might be true, it's also true that pretty much every artist in any medium creates tighter, cooler, more interesting stuff when they have editors that tell them when something is a bad idea, or when to go in a different direction. Having one person in charge of an entire idea from planning to fruition usually ends up, well, like ARTPOP ended up.

There's some really cool parts, but it could have been tuned and shaped better, which would have made it a stronger album. Born This Way is exactly the same - some good stuff, lots of less great stuff. Fame and Fame Monster were awesome because they were edited.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Platypus Farm posted:

While it might be true, it's also true that pretty much every artist in any medium creates tighter, cooler, more interesting stuff when they have editors that tell them when something is a bad idea, or when to go in a different direction. Having one person in charge of an entire idea from planning to fruition usually ends up, well, like ARTPOP ended up.

Which is pretty good for the most part. There's only 1 or 2 tracks that are superfluous in my opinion.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Wandle Cax posted:

Which is pretty good for the most part. There's only 1 or 2 tracks that are superfluous in my opinion.

Yes, but that doesn't really seem to be the popular opinion, which is that a lot of it is pretty superfluous. Of course big fans of her are going to think otherwise, so it becomes a question of who it is you care to please, I guess.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Kuikka posted:

Gaga also sent her art director Nicola Formichetti packing because he could no longer meet her needs.

Saying she "sent him packing" is a mischaracterization. By all accounts their split was amicable, and according to Gaga there's was a lot more overlap with her new guy than people realize. Formichetti just wanted to progress in his career and didn't have time to keep up with her constant clothing changes.

Also Gibson had to go. She was saying really unprofessional and lovely stuff to the media, and I've read she was uncomfortable with Gaga's image and direction because of her strong religious convictions.

quote:

Fame and Fame Monster were awesome because they were edited.

Really? Fame Monster, sure, but to me The Fame is the only one of her albums with really obvious filler tracks that just don't fit (not including the BTW bonus tracks).

Anyway, anyone can just delete the songs they don't like. I'd rather have more songs and more choices than have her leave off deep cuts like, say, Heavy Metal Lover.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 2, 2014

Kuikka
Aug 16, 2006

Lord Krangdar posted:

Saying she "sent him packing" is a mischaracterization. By all accounts their split was amicable, and according to Gaga there's was a lot more overlap with her new guy than people realize. Formichetti just wanted to progress in his career and didn't have time to keep up with her constant clothing changes.

That might be true with Gaga's public appearances in front of hotels and whatnot, but I seriously doubt that the new guy was in charge of overseeing her image. It's not just about the clothing, which is why I'm referring to Formichetti as an art director. (I'm also not saying that Formichetti worked alone, because other people's input is an important part of the work process.) But the point is that Gaga looked fantastic during Fame and Fame Monster. Her image was so tight. It wasn't until BTW that things started looking a bit sloppy (and all over the place). Whatever the reason for their split, Gaga let him go, which to me is just bonkers.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Also Gibson had to go. She was saying really unprofessional and lovely stuff to the media, and I've read she was uncomfortable with Gaga's image and direction because of her strong religious convictions.

Yeah I heard something similar. But my point is that Gibson was perfect for Gaga because Gaga doesn't have a flow to her dancing. Gibson understood this and ended up creating a series of choreographies that REALLY set Gaga apart from everyone else. They almost had their own language to them. All the movements were intentionally jerky in order to hide Gaga's non-flow. They were also technically very simple which made them perfect for everyone to practice in their own living room.

And yet professional backup dancers can make anything look so interesting and wonderful. Has anyone noticed that her DWUW performances have been the first ever where her dancers are nowhere to be found? Before Gaga would never enter a stage alone if she wasn't sitting down next to a piano. But now she's showing her painfully awkward impromptu moves for the all world to see and there are no dancers to distract the audience with.

The Graham Norton Show 2013: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6RoOUXRK1w&t=159s

Dr. McCheese
Sep 19, 2007
I ♥ Katamari.
I actually preferred that Graham Norton Show performance to her AMA performance with choreograph dancers. You always lose some of her vocals with the choreography, and I don't think that this particular song requires it in the way that a typical catchy pop song would. Speaking of her backup dancers, I hope Mark Kanemura returns for the artRave, this dance he choreographed for SYTYCD was insane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qupMqgrk4A

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Platypus Farm posted:

Yes, but that doesn't really seem to be the popular opinion, which is that a lot of it is pretty superfluous. Of course big fans of her are going to think otherwise, so it becomes a question of who it is you care to please, I guess.

People who didn't like the album just didn't like it, I don't think the problem was that there were too many songs. You would be hard pressed to find a popular pop album which didn't have at least 4 "filler" tracks. Artpop has 15 songs in total, I think it's reasonable to say there are 11 good tracks there which is a whole album's worth. Most people probably don't often listen to albums all the way through these days anyway. A bad album would be one with not many good songs to listen to. Plenty of people probably thought that about Artpop but they weren't saying, gee I like these songs but there are too many. No, they just didn't like the songs that were there.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'd rather have a good EP than a bad LP. Having too many songs I consider filler reduces my opinon of the work as a whole, even if some of the few individual parts are good. Not the greatest comparison but I wouldn't consider a book with 5 good chapters and 5 bad chapters a good book.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 3, 2014

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'd rather have a good EP than a bad LP. Having too many songs I consider filler reduces my opinon of the work as a whole, even if some of the few individual parts are good. Not the greatest comparison but I wouldn't consider a book with 5 good chapters and 5 bad chapters a good book.

If you don't like a song on an album you can skip it, delete it, rearrange it, whatever. Whereas a novel usually tells a linear story, and the chapters are not self-contained units.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Well great. Gaga tickets sold out in a few seconds for all her UK shows, even at £80 ($130) a standard ticket. I wish she was less popular these days. Spoiled a perfectly nice hungover lie-in too.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

So apparently she's doing a collab with Britney Spears. I wonder if it's a do what u want urban mix or something or a brand new song.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

somnambulist posted:

So apparently she's doing a collab with Britney Spears. I wonder if it's a do what u want urban mix or something or a brand new song.

I just can't see it being ANOTHER version of Do What U Want. I think she's over pushing this particular song, especially with all her talk about restarting the Artpop campaign.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

somnambulist posted:

Maybe it's a collaboration on a new version of Sexxx Dreams.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

somnambulist posted:

I can see her doing a duet for Artpop. "A hybrid can withstand these things."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

somnambulist posted:

I posted this a page ago and people decided to argue about whether Lady Gaga's career was over instead :(

E: Not even a page ago, it's on this page.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

somnambulist posted:

I'm pretty sure it was a rumour because she apparently just went to see Britney's Vegas show, but it wouldn't surprise me if we get to hear collab a few years down the line(or maybe in ARTPOP Volume 2).

Apparently she's filming a music video for G.U.Y! I hope it's true because it's one of my favorite songs from the album and it has a massive potential to become a hit. And it's been quite some time since we last saw a Gaga video! I wonder what happened with the Venus and DWYW video.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Does anyone know how the littlemonster presale works for eu shows? I signed up, joined event in Stockholm and still nothing. Official sale is in three days :ohdear:

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Skilleddk posted:

Does anyone know how the littlemonster presale works for eu shows? I signed up, joined event in Stockholm and still nothing. Official sale is in three days :ohdear:

It's a clusterfuck at the moment apparently. Some countries doesn't have working codes, some doesn't need codes at all, some have only some tickets etc etc.

But you'll be able to buy the tickets by using ARTPOP as the code if you're going to Stockholm :).

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Stalins Moustache posted:

It's a clusterfuck at the moment apparently. Some countries doesn't have working codes, some doesn't need codes at all, some have only some tickets etc etc.

But you'll be able to buy the tickets by using ARTPOP as the code if you're going to Stockholm :).

Thanks , but can you explain more? Where should I use this code, and can I buy more than one ticket :ohdear:

I promised some friends I'll get tickets (I always do) but it's always such a shitstorm to get them. Don't want to disappoint them

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Skilleddk posted:

Thanks , but can you explain more? Where should I use this code, and can I buy more than one ticket :ohdear:

I promised some friends I'll get tickets (I always do) but it's always such a shitstorm to get them. Don't want to disappoint them

You can buy up to 4 tickets at a time with the special code.

You can buy a ticket here! https://tickets.axs.com/eventShoppe...s%3F&ref=evs_fb

..Huh. Seems like you swedes won't be able to get standing spots.

Boob Dylan
Jan 3, 2013

Stalins Moustache posted:

I'm pretty sure it was a rumour because she apparently just went to see Britney's Vegas show, but it wouldn't surprise me if we get to hear collab a few years down the line(or maybe in ARTPOP Volume 2).

Apparently she's filming a music video for G.U.Y! I hope it's true because it's one of my favorite songs from the album and it has a massive potential to become a hit. And it's been quite some time since we last saw a Gaga video! I wonder what happened with the Venus and DWYW video.

Oooh, I know it's just a random set shot but I love the aesthetics going on here. It kinda reminds me of the Videophone video (except with flowers! YAY! :sparkles:)

Maybe that's why she's been so quiet lately? I hope so. I've missed her music videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Boob Dylan posted:

Oooh, I know it's just a random set shot but I love the aesthetics going on here. It kinda reminds me of the Videophone video (except with flowers! YAY! :sparkles:)

Maybe that's why she's been so quiet lately? I hope so. I've missed her music videos.

Agreed! It looks awesome as hell. I was wrong, though! Apparently it's not G.U.Y as nothing is yet to be confirmed. It could very well be Gypsy, Sexxx Dreams or any other potential songs!( I really hope it's Gypsy to be honest).

Let's take a trip down memory lane! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0Qhu0aK6nI&t=64s Found this video on tumblr and it gave me immediate nostalgia. It's a brilliant opening and I really hope she's gonna include that song in the setlist in her artrave tour.

• Locked thread