Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
That's really funny because Lulu always used to be the lovely version of Janna, because people would max lulu's shield first and an ad carry with Janna shield would poop all over Pix. Then they nerfed Janna a bunch and now people figured out Lulu's slow and polymorph are always more valuable than a shield (it helps they nerfed the gently caress out of Lulu's E too).

I don't know, I hate not recommending champions in the newbie thread, but Janna is a pretty tough one to learn, because it takes a lot of game knowledge to use her appropriately, or else you end up saving folks with your ult, knocking people up before they use their gap closers, that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Janna was a top-tier support before the age of tanky supports that we're in now. Movement speed is a crazy useful stat even though it's not always immediately noticeable, and when her passive was global the added utility for her team was massive. She's still nearly unkillable in ARAM where ganks can't happen and a tornado will probably bounce the whole enemy team.

But Lulu is the most fun champion in the game imo. She's so enjoyable to play in lane and in teamfights, win or lose. She drains mana quickly, though; a Chalice is even more essential than most supports.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Any advice on playing Yasuo? I bought him with IP I had saved up and I can't seem to figure out how to not suck with him :( I normally play Taric support and thought it'd be fun to play something different but I'm having terrible luck figuring out how to not die a shitton.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
So I played as Morgana and it was okay. Other than the Q-W combo, what other things should I know when using her? I can't seem to get the hang of her Ult too.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Morgana gets built as a tanky mage. Build a Rod of Ages, a Zhonya's is definitely core and a chalice is a good pickup as well if you're against an AP mid. Your E doesn't block physical damage but it does block CC except for knockups.

The R is a little trickier. The usual combo is to Flash into the enemy team, throw out your ult and activate the Zhonya's when they started focusing you.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Tired Moritz posted:

So I played as Morgana and it was okay. Other than the Q-W combo, what other things should I know when using her? I can't seem to get the hang of her Ult too.

Morgana is one of my favorite mids, but she doesn't do enough sustained damage to carry a teamfight by herself, so you have to make sure at least one other lane does okay to win a game. Fortunately, she has amazing waveclear when you max W, and good ganks once she hits 6, especially if you can hit her Q when you show up. Her Q is currently the longest lasting hard CC in the game, if I'm not mistaken, with a 3 second root at level 5, so once teamfights start, they're really good when poking and trying to catch someone out of position.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Tired Moritz posted:

Gameplay-wise, I take Q at level 1 to help with leashing (throw a Q at the buff creep over the wall, walk to lane, you should get there just in time to not miss any CS) and then max R>W>Q>E. Use W to powerfarm and push, when you get to level 5 your level 3 W should be able to take out a full wave of caster minions, plus your Q and E make you super gank-resistant. Between the spellshield and being able to zone melee mids from CSing by dropping Ws under them, you've got some amazingly good matchups (crushing the dreams of a TF/Lux/Teemo is wonderful and you can set back like a Fizz heavy-duty early).

In lane, you've got a great "kill the poo poo out of somebody" combo as soon as you get to 6, if you catch someone with a Q in a good position W under them/E yourself if it's someone who can CC you/ult them/ignite if needed. In later teamfights, flash/ult/Zhonya's into the other team if they're clumped up, you'll majorly disrupt them/lay down some crazy stuns. Outside of 5v5 teamfights, catching someone out of position with a Q late is really deadly, you've got them locked down for three whole seconds with a puddle under them for whoever to jump on them.

Against AP mids I typically go Chalice - Sorc Shoes - Zhonya's - Upgrade Chalice to Athene's - Void Staff/Deathcap - the other one of those two - Frozen Heart/SV as sixth item to max CDR/max CDR with a blue elixir going depending on whether the other team's AD/AP damage is scarier. If they've got an AD mid, rush Seeker's Armguard/Zhonya's and build Morellonomicron instead of Athene's. I kinda like the idea of Banner of Command as a sixth item, but I haven't tried that out yet.

I'm not much of a fan of Rod of Ages on Morgana, although I know a lot of people really like it. Building a Will of the Ancients or something to augment her passive sounds good on paper, but it's really underwhelming in practice because of diminishing returns/spellvamp items being kinda crappy.

Phenotype posted:

Morgana is one of my favorite mids, but she doesn't do enough sustained damage to carry a teamfight by herself, so you have to make sure at least one other lane does okay to win a game. Fortunately, she has amazing waveclear when you max W, and good ganks once she hits 6, especially if you can hit her Q when you show up. Her Q is currently the longest lasting hard CC in the game, if I'm not mistaken, with a 3 second root at level 5, so once teamfights start, they're really good when poking and trying to catch someone out of position.

The one thing I'd add is that while her ganks are really good, they're pretty slow and you've got to be careful about when you choose to roam. If you're laning against like a Ziggs and the jungler doesn't cover mid, he's going to chew through like half of your tower by the time you get back because of his insane waveclear + passive.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
One other thing I'll add about Morgana, and this applies to a lot of champions, is that after you hit 6 you should try to save your Q until you HAVE to use it when going for kills. For example, if you're going for a gank bottom, don't just throw your Q at them right when you get there, that is a low percentage play. First, try to walk at them and see if you can get in ult range without using it. Like, maybe your support will stun them or they just won't be paying attention or it's just not warded or something allowing you to get in range. Then after your ult stun goes off, you have a guaranteed opportunity to hit them with your Q for follow up damage and stun time, ensuring a kill. The same principle applies in lane when your jungler is trying to gank. Try to land your ult first. Of course, it's fine to throw Q's out for harass in lane and also throwing them out with the thought "-if- this hits I can go all in him with my ult and ignite" that's fine too.

psymonkey fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 6, 2014

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Is Morgana support a viable thing these days? I've not had a whole lot of time for League outside of ARAM and want to get back into playing some SR. The new flavour of the months and support changes have me a bit nervous though since support was always my main role.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

moerketid posted:

Is Morgana support a viable thing these days? I've not had a whole lot of time for League outside of ARAM and want to get back into playing some SR. The new flavour of the months and support changes have me a bit nervous though since support was always my main role.

She's a pretty good counter to Leona, who seems to be the most popular support at the moment. If you are good at timing the Black Shield she works wonders against someone like Blitzcrank as well. Support & assist gold has made it a lot easier to be able to afford a Zhonya's now.

It's even better when you have a Katarina mid, because she is an absolute monster with that Black Shield.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Feb 6, 2014

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

moerketid posted:

It's not bad, but honestly, everything you can do with it someone else can do better/more efficiently. It's not a bad counterpick to a Leona lane, just make sure you take your E before Leona hits 2 otherwise you're going to get comboed. With the gold changes, Support Morg can actually pick up items and still do what she does midlane, especially because the Talisman helps her initiate better. I'm all for people trying things out, and learning for themselves. Bring her into a few games, see if you can get in the flow, and if you aren't feeling it, then try someone else.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Morgana is also a fairly solid counter to Taric, should you run into him. Spellshielding stuns is a bastard and your ult locks him down if he's trying to waddle to/from the fight.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

poorlywrittennovel posted:

It's not bad, but honestly, everything you can do with it someone else can do better/more efficiently. It's not a bad counterpick to a Leona lane, just make sure you take your E before Leona hits 2 otherwise you're going to get comboed. With the gold changes, Support Morg can actually pick up items and still do what she does midlane, especially because the Talisman helps her initiate better. I'm all for people trying things out, and learning for themselves. Bring her into a few games, see if you can get in the flow, and if you aren't feeling it, then try someone else.

Thanks for the feedback.

Should add that I'm not talking about taking her into ranked. I'd only feel comfortable taking traditional supports into ranked since I'm already pretty good with Nami & Sona and decent with the others. But trying out the alternative supports in normals seems interesting. I did support Cassiopeia in the last 5v5 I played and while totally unsuitable for ranked play, it was great fun and snakelady wrecked the place. :allears:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hey guys, I've seen some ADC builds build double Bloodthirster over Bloodthirster + Infinity Edge, when is the former worth it over the Infinity Edge?

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Jumping in on the Morgana chat, I really like running the Teleport/Homeguard combo on her to initiate ganks/teamfights. It's really hard to run away from a super-speed boosted Morgana ult.

Flipswitch posted:

Hey guys, I've seen some ADC builds build double Bloodthirster over Bloodthirster + Infinity Edge, when is the former worth it over the Infinity Edge?

If you are hilariously fed you should be going towards a full build anyway. If you ever decide to build double BT you should build it on champions who love that stat more than anything like a snowballing Draven/Graves/Ezreal/etc., and even then crits tend to outweigh whatever benefits are garnered by all the bonus AD and life steal on BT.

How Rude fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 6, 2014

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
So what's with the different game modes? ARAM is understandable but what the hell is Dominion? I just can't to get the hang of it. Should I bother playing the different game modes or should I just stick with Summoner's Rift?

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 7, 2014

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

So what's with the different game modes? ARAM is understandable but what the hell is Dominion? I just can't to get the hang of it. Should I bother playing the different game modes or should I just stick with Summoner's Rift?

The latter, seeing as that's what Riot's been doing. :goleft:

Dominion is a capture-the-flag style game mode that very few people bother to play. Twisted Treeline is the 3 vs 3 map. It isn't as popular as Rift, but its got a decent enough pool of players, at least compared to Dominion.]

Drunk Orc posted:

Any advice on playing Yasuo? I bought him with IP I had saved up and I can't seem to figure out how to not suck with him :( I normally play Taric support and thought it'd be fun to play something different but I'm having terrible luck figuring out how to not die a shitton.

Yasuo is very high skill cap. You need a lot of practice, general game sense, and instinctual understanding of his kit to really make him work. It's inevitable you will do terribly while you are learning him.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 7, 2014

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Also, you can play ranked in Summoner's Rift (solo/duo queue or 5 man organized team) or Twisted Treeline (3 man organized team). ARAMs and Dominion don't have a ranked mode.

ARAMs are still fun as hell though, and ultimately play whatever you find to be entertaining. That's why you play.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Dominion's not Capture the Flag, it's Capture and Hold, much like Team Fortress 2 when it first came out. It's fun but since Riot is in a cycle of ignoring it, because nobody plays it, because there's no ranked mode for it, because Riot ignores it, etc. it's not going to be as balanced an experience as Summoner's Rift.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Well Elise is really hard, but I find her clears pretty easy and her early game ganks and mobility great. Being low SL and lower skilled I can't do dragon at 4 but I have soloed it at 6 before, and it's nice that she can do dragon relatively early because my timing on objectives is probably my best jungler skill.

My problem comes in the team fighting phase. I usually engage in human form and toss an exploding spider/try and get a stun, and I will Q in human form if I can. Then I try to go into spider form for rappel. These are the IDEAS, in reality I will accidentally fire off a cocoon at someone standing still, W a line of minions, and rappel at the wrong time. Is there any trick to what I should be doing with her in team fights? I guess they're kind of tough in general as a still newer player but geez I am a mess team fighting on Elise.

As an aside a friend told me to try out Amumu and he's extremely easy. Really painless clears thanks to the passive on his E and his AOE damage, and you save a lot of time bandage tossing through the jungle. Only problem is that without blue buff I feel like I run out of mana a lot. Should I not be using his tears to speed up my jungling or is there something else I should be doing?

edit: I also have been getting yelled at a lot recently in jungle as well as support. If I go to ward I get told "we all need to team up" even though we've been getting crushed because nobody has warded anything. Two nights ago I was playing support and got told I needed to be warding more, when all three of my green wards were placed and I had the river by Baron pinked. Sure thing team where no one has placed a ward! I will get right on that! This stuff doesn't bother me but it's so bizarre how people have a complete lack of self-awareness.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 7, 2014

GoldenSeraph
Mar 8, 2006
reincarnation time!
Is the grind to 30 always this hard?
I just hit 20 yesterday and I find the grind to be hard somedays.

I've been mostly playing mid lately too. I don't like playing jungle, alot of pressure I feel to get stuff cleared out and gank successfully.

This game.

:negative:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

GoldenSeraph posted:

I've been mostly playing mid lately too. I don't like playing jungle, alot of pressure I feel to get stuff cleared out and gank successfully.

This game.

I'd love to mostly play mid. Every game I join has 4 people calling mid and throwing a huge fit when they don't get it. I've mostly just been playing Blitzcrank support and sometimes jungling. I like jungle and be better at it, but I always feel too passive, especially as a farming jungler like Amumu, despite always doing great with him late game.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

My problem comes in the team fighting phase. I usually engage in human form and toss an exploding spider/try and get a stun, and I will Q in human form if I can. Then I try to go into spider form for rappel. These are the IDEAS, in reality I will accidentally fire off a cocoon at someone standing still, W a line of minions, and rappel at the wrong time. Is there any trick to what I should be doing with her in team fights? I guess they're kind of tough in general as a still newer player but geez I am a mess team fighting on Elise.

As an aside a friend told me to try out Amumu and he's extremely easy. Really painless clears thanks to the passive on his E and his AOE damage, and you save a lot of time bandage tossing through the jungle. Only problem is that without blue buff I feel like I run out of mana a lot. Should I not be using his tears to speed up my jungling or is there something else I should be doing?

I find Elise's big advantage (take with a grain of salt, I play her but she's hardly my best jungler) is that she can dive on someone straight away and stick to them all fight. If that person is an adc, you can dive on them from afar, use your q, transform into human form and keep them locked down with spells and aas until you're ready to transform again. Elise really isn't that impactful in teamfights compared to characters like Amumu, her real strength comes from those ridiculous early ganks.

As for Amumu, your tears really aren't that useful against wolves and wraiths compared to just using your E. They do % damage, so they're great against bigger monsters (blue/red/baron/dragon) but unless you've got mana to spam it's probably not so important to use them against the little monsters.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Well Elise is really hard, but I find her clears pretty easy and her early game ganks and mobility great. Being low SL and lower skilled I can't do dragon at 4 but I have soloed it at 6 before, and it's nice that she can do dragon relatively early because my timing on objectives is probably my best jungler skill.

edit: I also have been getting yelled at a lot recently in jungle as well as support. If I go to ward I get told "we all need to team up" even though we've been getting crushed because nobody has warded anything. Two nights ago I was playing support and got told I needed to be warding more, when all three of my green wards were placed and I had the river by Baron pinked. Sure thing team where no one has placed a ward! I will get right on that! This stuff doesn't bother me but it's so bizarre how people have a complete lack of self-awareness.

I've done a few more games of SR again as support and I'm baffled that even when I am constantly at my ward limit and keeping pinks up and using my trinket, I'm still getting bitched at for SUPPORT U NEED WARD MORE

Have people not actually learned the new warding rules or what? Granted these are normals and not ranked, but I was in silver before and seem to get put in with teams who almost all have silver/gold borders. I am mystified.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

GoldenSeraph posted:

I'm curious about this as well. It's taken me two months to reach level 20 with two or three matches a day. It's not that I mind things going slow, I'm terrible at the game anyway and haven't even tried the majority of the champions. It would be fun to have full access to runes and masteries though. Jungling became a whole lot easier once the second quintessence unlocked.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 7, 2014

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Any advice for Rammus, and jungling in general? I was forced to jungle for the first time last night and I did Ok with him, despite never having done it before. Mostly due to an awesome mid who walked me through things. I got thornmail and melted Fiora multiple times. my biggest problem was gear. It seemed that by the time i finished getting the Spirit Golem thing that made jungling easy, it was time to teamfight and I ought to have been saving for warmog's instead.

GoldenSeraph posted:

This game.

I just hit 30 after months. I had a lot more fun when I stopped worrying about leveling and just played for fun. Even losing games get you xp, and they can be fun too, if you think of them as a chance to practice poo poo talking.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

The Dregs posted:

Any advice for Rammus, and jungling in general? I was forced to jungle for the first time last night and I did Ok with him, despite never having done it before. Mostly due to an awesome mid who walked me through things. I got thornmail and melted Fiora multiple times. my biggest problem was gear. It seemed that by the time i finished getting the Spirit Golem thing that made jungling easy, it was time to teamfight and I ought to have been saving for warmog's instead.

I just hit 30 after months. I had a lot more fun when I stopped worrying about leveling and just played for fun. Even losing games get you xp, and they can be fun too, if you think of them as a chance to practice poo poo talking.

Warmogs is in general kinda poo poo on Rammus, especially early, because he scales on armour and MR. Golem spirit on the other hand is fantastic and absolutely worth building. It also helps a bit with gold problems provided you keep getting big monsters when conservation goes over 40.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

SC Bracer posted:

Warmogs is in general kinda poo poo on Rammus, especially early, because he scales on armour and MR. Golem spirit on the other hand is fantastic and absolutely worth building. It also helps a bit with gold problems provided you keep getting big monsters when conservation goes over 40.
Warmog's Armor isn't what it used to be. It's still money-efficient but it's also received nerfs and price increases over the years and it's no longer essential on practically every melee character.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I don't play very much top lane so I might be missing some obvious picks, but the only character I build a Warmog's on is Mundo situationally as a later item (not much percentage damage on the other team from Elise/Vayne/anyone who typically builds BoRK, balanced AD/AP threats).

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

It seems like Warmogs is mostly picked up for the health regeneration to give some sustain to champions that don't pick up lifesteal or whatever.

Percentage damage is so common at this point that simply getting a ton of HP really isn't worth it. You're better off buying an item that gives you health and resists if you want to be tanky.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The only time I think I build Warmogs is if I'm going full tank Sejuani and it's like my last item. It's rare that I build it though.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
So, uh, why don't I see more people playing Ryze? Because after giving him a spin, it seems that if you're fast with his full combo, you just straight up chunk people before they can even react.

Seriously, he's fun as hell. "Oh, I see you're out of position! [R > Q > E/W > Q > W/E > Q] :vd:"

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
He has short range and like no mobility to make up for it

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

He's also pretty weak early game.

I think his combo actually makes him use the Q before the R though. Apparently, if you hit R while the Q is in motion, you can get reduced cooldown on the Q while stilling apply the AOE spellvamp effects to the Q flying at them. Haven't checked this, but you can give it a shot.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
Let me tell you all something. Ryze is still super good. They did nothing to him other than -slightly- nerf the range on his spells. Before that he was a 100% pick/ban champion. He's still a fantastic mid laner for everyone that's not pro. He is a FANTASTIC champion to pick up for new players.

- You can't gently caress up his spells cause they're all on click
- He scales off of tanky items - Glacial Shroud, Rod of Ages, Archangels staff - These items are all balanced around champions that aren't Ryze, and he scales ridiculously with all of them.
- He has an INSTANT, ON CLICK, RANGED root - the only other champions that have this are - Warwick, Lissandra, Fiddlesticks, Malzahar and all but 1 of those are on their ults.
- He shits out humongous late game damage despite building tanky. This is a quality few champions have.
- He DOES have mobility on his ult, it's not much but it's definitely enough to catch someone off guard.

His weakness is that he doesn't have the insane mobility roam that a lot of popular mid laners do, and also his early game is just a -tad- weak, but he can still farm with Q and also set up ganks with his root. If you're looking for a champion to pick up for mid lane I would 100% recommend Ryze.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, I'd still say Ryze is a good champ for new players. Nothing too complicated about his kit and he scales well. You can still roam around, but you'll just have to go into a pushed lane and be a bit sneaky. Root is pretty great.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Ryze's main problem is still his short range in laning. But if you play him against an assassin (and low elo players LOVE to loving play assassins) then you will utterly slaughter them.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I never understood why they didn't mention that his abilities scale with his maximum mana (as well as AP) in his passive. That took me way too long to realize as a newbie and it is something that separates Ryze from other mages (who mostly just build Ability Power items).

Also, if you aren't already Smartcasting your abilities then learn it with Ryze. His low cooldowns allow him to combo his abilities, so less clicking will make you more efficient.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

I never understood why they didn't mention that his abilities scale with his maximum mana (as well as AP) in his passive. That took me way too long to realize as a newbie and it is something that separates Ryze from other mages (who mostly just build Ability Power items).

Also, if you aren't already Smartcasting your abilities then learn it with Ryze. His low cooldowns allow him to combo his abilities, so less clicking will make you more efficient.

What do you mean by smart casting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Shadow225 posted:

What do you mean by smart casting?

Smartcasting is making it so if you're playing like Lux, instead of having to click Q and then click where you want the Q to go you just automatically cast to the cursor with a Q click. You can set it up for specific spells on the key bindings part of the menu.

Ryze is probably fine, but on-click abilities just aren't as fun as things you have to aim to me. Warwick might be the one exception, but I've only played like two games on him in the last few months.

• Locked thread