Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBuckmister
Oct 18, 2008
There's a button now for "Smart Cast All" which probably everyone should use. You can just rebind shift to be normal cast for abilities that need it (Zac, Varus, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
Ryze also has the issue where there's a strong community perception that he's simple and just bashes his buttons once he gets into a fight, but he's actually fairly complex and if you're not good at him, you'll be pretty useless. So, people don't bother practicing him because they think he's a faceroller, then they play him and suck, then they conclude that HE sucks.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Also when people look at Ryze nerfs you have to consider that at the same time he ate his allegedly minor range nerfs, they also nerfed the items that had made Ryze OP in the first place so he got hit with both barrels.

He's not poo poo tier, but he's definitely matchup based and he's got a piss weak early game.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
He also doesn't have a real obvious set of masteries you should take for him, either. I think his skills have decent base damages from 1-3 without a mana crystal, so I'd run him 0/21/9 to help with his early fragility. I'd also start cloth/potions or boots/potions and run movespeed quints, hybrid penetration reds, armor and MR for yellows and blues. Just focus on last hitting early and get to level 3 as soon as you can. You can trade really well as soon as you hit level 3 with this setup by weaving auto attacks in between spells. Lead with E if you can to reduce their MR before comboing them fully. Cloth armor will be built into Frozen Heart later on. Rush Catalyst and Tear. Get your Rod of Ages, finish Sorcerer Shoes and Archangel's Staff. Now you get Frozen Heart and Void Staff. Unfortunately Ryze does not have much build differentiation from game to game.

Last item do whatever. If you build WOTA you'll have some extreme sustain as well as some nice cooldown and okay mana regen. Deathcap will put you around 550 AP and really ramp up your damage. Lich Bane is funny and makes you run faster. Furor enchantment on boots also makes you run faster. If you need MR, Spirit Visage is still great for Ryze. Since it's at 10% CDR, FH and your Q CDR reduction will put you at 40%. Same with WOTA. Banshee's Veil also owns.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I was wondering what a good Olaf build for the jungle is and how to play him. What do I max first and build first? Do I tank alot, farm alot, counter jungle? All the guides I'm seeing tell me to buy atmas impaler... so I figure you guys will be more help. Do I build tank? Ravenous hydra?

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

RC Cola posted:

I was wondering what a good Olaf build for the jungle is and how to play him. What do I max first and build first? Do I tank alot, farm alot, counter jungle? All the guides I'm seeing tell me to buy atmas impaler... so I figure you guys will be more help. Do I build tank? Ravenous hydra?
I don't play a lot of Olaf, but here is a link to the Probuilds Olaf page which you should use as a guide for what items work on Olaf. Atma's Impaler is not one of the items, you're either looking at mobafire or really old guides.

Off the top of my head, I would max Q first, E second, W last. I would say that Olaf is also primarily built tank, but he's versatile enough to benefit from damage occasionally. If you are jungling Olaf and your top is tanky, and your support is tanky, you can probably build Elder Lizard and then your tank items. Hexdrinker is probably pretty good. Hydra is pretty expensive for Olaf, and his damage is always relevant because he deals true damage and gets crazy attack speed when he's low.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

RC Cola posted:

I don't have specific Olaf advice, as I haven't played him since his rework. But as general advice, the answer to "Should I buy Atma's Impaler?" is always "Hell no.". The stats it gives you don't really mesh for anyone and it's pretty bad overall.

Olaf himself is pretty good, however.

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

RC Cola posted:

Usually straight tank with maybe a damage item if you're ahead. He still does a ton of damage built tanky with his true damage E so unless people are building a lot of health then you'll chunk some decent health off people.

R, Q, E, W for maxing skills and 9/21 masteries for him is the traditional way to go.

Logicone
Nov 3, 2012

Fur proud service to ze Axis, I hereby avard myself und mein subordinates ze Better zan Herp Ribbon!

You get ze ribbon! Und YOU get ze ribbon! EVERYONE gets ze ribbon!

Except Herp. Arschloch.
The last few matches have made me realize a glaring failure in the way I play - I have absolutely no idea how to itemize when I'm behind the curve in farm/kills. When I am, should I still be going for my usual item builds, or are there items/utility things (wards, pots, ect) that I should be prioritizing instead? Additionally, I've found the Elixir of Fortitude to be handy on some of my top laners becuase of the non-negligible health boost it can give me, but is the Elixir of Brilliance ever worth it? I feel like they're not, due to just being a small amount of AP and some CDR, but feel free to correct me if I have the wrong idea there.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Logicone posted:

The last few matches have made me realize a glaring failure in the way I play - I have absolutely no idea how to itemize when I'm behind the curve in farm/kills. When I am, should I still be going for my usual item builds, or are there items/utility things (wards, pots, ect) that I should be prioritizing instead? Additionally, I've found the Elixir of Fortitude to be handy on some of my top laners becuase of the non-negligible health boost it can give me, but is the Elixir of Brilliance ever worth it? I feel like they're not, due to just being a small amount of AP and some CDR, but feel free to correct me if I have the wrong idea there.

Fortitude potion is a common buy on top laners for some quick stats to try and surge to win the lane, but Brilliance potion is rarely bought unless you know a teamfight is imminent and you're yet to have the money for something better. I wouldn't buy it for general laning.

As far as being behind goes, the answer depends on what kind of position you're in. If you're top lane and getting your rear end beat by Renekton, then buying some armor is probably in your future. On the other hand, if the enemy marksman is shooting you better then you're shooting him, then varying your build up generally isn't going to help.
Once teamfights start, then your options open up a bit and you can consider, for example, whether it's worth buying a Hexdrinker, or if an early Guardian Angel might be a good buy.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hey guys, I'm seeing a lot of Lucian builds with IE as a fifth item and why pick that over say Black Cleaver with Lucians AD caster style gameplay? with no Shiv or PD the crits seem harder to land compared to using Lightslinger to proc Cleaver repeatedly.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
So I've been playing Anivia for a bit and she's pretty nice. I know you should max her E first but should I focus on building her more defensive or boosting her ability power? And any other tips for me to keep in mine when playing?

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

From what I've seen, Anivia tends to grab the mana first. Apparently, Anivia grabs 2 out of 3 from chalice, tear and rod ages. You just pick 2 of them you feel like grabbing to deal with your mana issues.

Aside from that, Anivia is bit more of a backline champ with the Q and R. I would suggest building more AP. I'm also not sure if leveling the E is the greatest idea considering the range but I don't really play birdy.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

So I've been playing Anivia for a bit and she's pretty nice. I know you should max her E first but should I focus on building her more defensive or boosting her ability power? And any other tips for me to keep in mine when playing?

Just follow the Froggen strategy:

(Froggen is a pro league player that was known for his Anivia play back in Season 2. People noticed he seemed to be able to win with the weirdest builds, which is why this thing exists.)

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Who are Blitzcrank's worst matchups in the botlane, and who's are some good backups to deal with those matchups who aren't Leona/Thresh.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Zerilan posted:

Who are Blitzcrank's worst matchups in the botlane, and who's are some good backups to deal with those matchups who aren't Leona/Thresh.

Leona is pretty tough for him, since she can poo poo out CC if you grab the ADC, and if you grab Leona well then you've got Leona on top of you. Blitz is kind of tough because he's really tough to hard counter. His entire game is literally just "land hooks". If you land hooks, you win, if you don't, you lose.

E: Caitlyn is pretty tough too since she's got all that range.

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 10, 2014

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Zerilan posted:

Sivir gives Blitz an absurdly hard time. He has to take risks to bait the spell shield or he won't be able to land a drat thing.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A good Morgana will be your worst nightmare as Blitz. If she's quick enough to react she can block all your grabs with her shield. Luckily you probably won't see many support Morganas, but if you do meet one you'll feel pretty useless as long as she's near you. Same thing holds true for Sivir, if she's good with her Spellshield you won't be able to land a grab.

What you want to do against these champions is try and bait out the shields by moving forward as if you were going to grab. As soon as the shield is down you'll have 20 seconds to get a grab in (assuming shields are level1).

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Thanks. Any good supports to run against those champs (preferably in 3150 or below price range) if I see them picked first and don't feel confident in being able to bait shields?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Zerilan posted:

Thanks. Any good supports to run against those champs (preferably in 3150 or below price range) if I see them picked first and don't feel confident in being able to bait shields?

Annie is pretty solid and costs basically nothing, other than that, most of the top tier supports are kind of expensive.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Thanks again. I have Annie, I just don't play her that often since even though she's a top tier support I just find her a lot less satisfying to play than Blitz or the occasional Alistar. I figure if I start looking at any of the expensive supports I should just get Leona or Thresh, but I find the role a lot less fun than Jungle or Mid so I don't really want to throw down 10k IP on support champs yet, unless Thresh shows up soon on the RP sale list.

EDIT: Slowly building up my roster of champs owned, with a good chunk of them coming from promos as I push through the 20s in SL.

Top: Teemo, Nasus, Poppy
Jungle: Amumu, Hecarim, Wukong, Master Yi
Mid: Kayle (Orianna as next planned buy)
Support: Blitzcrank, Annie, Alistar
ADC: Tristana, Sivir

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 10, 2014

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Taric might not be the hottest support these days (he got slightly reworked in the first pre-season patch and promptly nerfed in the second one) but he's still decent and just 1350 IP. He might not have the potential to make plays that Leona and Thresh have, but you should never underestimate him. Especially if the opposing team is running an all AD composition, since Taric likes nothing more than to build armour.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

So I bought Swain and I have a crush on him. I feel nearly unstoppable in dominion and 3s, but I would still love any advice if someone knows some not so well known fact that would seperate good Swains from great Swains.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Mercedes posted:

So I bought Swain and I have a crush on him. I feel nearly unstoppable in dominion and 3s, but I would still love any advice if someone knows some not so well known fact that would seperate good Swains from great Swains.

Buy Zhonya's, use it when you see an ignite ticking on you. If you can stall out the enemy's ignite they can't make their damage stick.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
:havlat: Free champ rotation for the upcoming week :havlat:

Darius, Leona, Master Yi, Varus, Soraka, Aatrox, Warwick, Ezreal, Ziggs, and Kayle

Leona is probably one of the best supports right now, since you can E into the enemy, and W. And barely take any damage.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

DarkstarIV posted:

:havlat: Free champ rotation for the upcoming week :havlat:

Darius, Leona, Master Yi, Varus, Soraka, Aatrox, Warwick, Ezreal, Ziggs, and Kayle

Darius: Dunkmaster General. He's got no escape, but he's got a good mix of damage and he's pretty tanky. Don't over-extend, but feel free to be aggressive. Who needs escapes when you can just murder everyone. His ultimate deals true damage, and if you get a kill with it, it refreshes its cooldown so you can use it again in the next 20 seconds. If that one gets a kill too, you get another 20 second reset. Top lane or jungle.

Leona: One of the god tier supports right now. Super aggressive playstyle, so requires some coordination with your carry or you just go in and die.

Master Yi: The bronzeslayer! Build damage, push Q, be king retard.

Varus: Medium range (though long on his arrow) carry. He's got no escape, but he's still pretty good. His ult is disruptive in team fights.

Soraka: Support. Has a heal, a silence, a mana restore (so infinite mana for your carry), and her ultimate is a global heal that hits everyone on your team. The ult is good for swinging engagements large or small, and picking up assists from across the map. It's a helpful version of karthus ult, basically.

Aatrox: Can jungle or top. I can't say much about him other than he's aggressive and to watch for his passive when fighting him. I don't really like him.

Warwick: He's got one button, but that one button is really good. Can top lane or jungle. Your ult applies Suppression, which is basically "gently caress YOU, YOU DO NOTHING", and that's what makes him viable at all. If you ult, make sure it is on a good target, not on their tank or something. I don't like Warwick at all, but he's playable.

Ezrael: Carry or sometimes mid-laner. He's all skillshots. Has a flash on a short cooldown and a global damage ult. I feel like he's kind of weak right now, but he's not terrible. Tricky to play, though.

Ziggs: The god king of mid lane, until his nerfs go through. Minefield for wave clear, slows and damage. Bomb for poke, your C4 charge can be used to jump over walls, and your ult has long rear end range. Keep an eye on fights in the jungle or the side lanes, if you pay attention you might pick up some kills or swing the fight by moving close enough to chuck your ult into it for crazy damage.

Kayle: Usually run as a mid lane anymore. Her ult makes whoever she targets COMPLETELY INVULERNABLE for a few seconds. She also has a skill that makes her auto attacks do ranged splash damage. Pretty strong right now.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Does Warwick's ult continue through a Zhonya's activation? If so, pure AP Warwick would be funny. DFG>ult>Zhonya's>Q and the adc is gone.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

KillerQueen posted:

Does Warwick's ult continue through a Zhonya's activation? If so, pure AP Warwick would be funny. DFG>ult>Zhonya's>Q and the adc is gone.

It's a channel, so I don't think so.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

Hey guys, I'm seeing a lot of Lucian builds with IE as a fifth item and why pick that over say Black Cleaver with Lucians AD caster style gameplay? with no Shiv or PD the crits seem harder to land compared to using Lightslinger to proc Cleaver repeatedly.

Lucian is a burst caster and the prospect of critting with his double hit passive is terrifying enough to make it a legitimate pickup. It's not a 100% solid must-buy thing, but it scales into lategame if you get another crit item(Youmuu's is I think one of the better choices) and can do some scary things to your DPS, as well as giving you enough flat AD to be a menace to towers, which is something that is really important and oft overlooked. Another theory as to why it's built is because absolutely no thought is gone into the decision and the player decides to build IE, which is a general marksman item since Lucian is a marksman. Take your pick of which one seems more reasonable!

Daedelous
Nov 14, 2012

Mercedes posted:

Being able to properly judge what order you need to use his skills in, there's no real set, it just depends on the champion you are facing, I haven't played Swain myself in a while but I do remember that Athenes was always a pickup to ensure I had mana if I was on an empty tank after a crow stomp, liandry's is also nice as most of his abilities tick.

If you are facing any suppression champs, being able to predict it coming to you so you can activate R quickly is invaluable.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
So many items are great on Swain. Tear/RoA/Athene's for mana (which he needs desperately), Zhonya's for two seconds of breathing room, Liandry's for that sweet DOT, Deathcap to make his spells really hurt, Will of the Ancients for mana regen and crazy good heals. He probably has the most versatile options of any AP champ besides Cho'Gath.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

my pog boyfriend posted:

Lucian is a burst caster and the prospect of critting with his double hit passive is terrifying enough to make it a legitimate pickup. It's not a 100% solid must-buy thing, but it scales into lategame if you get another crit item(Youmuu's is I think one of the better choices) and can do some scary things to your DPS, as well as giving you enough flat AD to be a menace to towers, which is something that is really important and oft overlooked. Another theory as to why it's built is because absolutely no thought is gone into the decision and the player decides to build IE, which is a general marksman item since Lucian is a marksman. Take your pick of which one seems more reasonable!
Thanks for the reply buddy. Does the passive both proc crits or are they considered seperate attacks for crit purposes?

Like I'm finding not every game goes that long on so I'm trying to figure out which is a better pick and it's probably more subjective than I'm realising. I like the idea of Cleaver on him so I'll keep trying it.

I was just trying to figure it out as an extra 25% chance to crit (without any other crit items other than Trinity Force) didn't seem to be worth stacking in my mind over say, Cleaver with its CDR/DMG/AP in comparison. Especially with how it stacks with Lightslinger, or even just over a second Bloodthirster maybe. I'll keep playing him and figure out what I like more.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

KillerQueen posted:

It's suppression. I'd have to test, but I'm pretty sure you can't do ANYTHING while suppressed. Including activate Zhonya's.

[EDIT] Oh, you mean if WW used it. No, it'd stop WW ulting.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

Thanks for the reply buddy. Does the passive both proc crits or are they considered seperate attacks for crit purposes?

Like I'm finding not every game goes that long on so I'm trying to figure out which is a better pick and it's probably more subjective than I'm realising. I like the idea of Cleaver on him so I'll keep trying it.

I was just trying to figure it out as an extra 25% chance to crit (without any other crit items other than Trinity Force) didn't seem to be worth stacking in my mind over say, Cleaver with its CDR/DMG/AP in comparison. Especially with how it stacks with Lightslinger, or even just over a second Bloodthirster maybe. I'll keep playing him and figure out what I like more.

Separate attacks, yeah. Cleaver is a nice gimmicky pickup on him(not a bad thing, necessarily, Lucian lends himself to cheese builds extremely well), but IE goes later into games, in a meta where games can go onto 50 minutes it seems like a stable pickup. If you want to look at builds, take a look at probuilds and compare varying builds by wins(w/r/t the people using them, obviously Dyrus's build on Draven holds less weight than, say, qtpie's). IE seems to be a solid pickup according to probuilds but how much of that is endemic to the item and how much of the IE success rate has to due with the fact that it's a late game luxury item is up for questioning. See what works for you, really! There is no particular reason to worry about how optimal your strategies are until they stop working.

mOVING_tARGET
Feb 3, 2014
man, i wish i had this back when i started LoL. i was so lost.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
For those who want to feel the true power of the Yi Zone, regardless of petty things like hard CC, Mercurial Scimitar is your BFF <3 forever.

I've been thinking with the Kayle nerfs that perhaps after my core of Nashor's/LB/DC I should go Gunblade (for funsies if I'm ahead) or BOTRK (for legit tryharding) and then Black Cleaver, just to experiment and see how she does dealing more mixed sustained damage to compensate for her weaker burst and enemy defensive itemization.

My computer is also shot, so no League for me until I get a new one. :smith:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I just played a game where our support bought a Sightstone and then Ruby Sighstone and didn't ward once. Ever. Not even the trinket ward.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

rabidsquid posted:

I just played a game where our support bought a Sightstone and then Ruby Sighstone and didn't ward once. Ever. Not even the trinket ward.

Was he last pick support who just didn't get a role he liked? If so that is some dedication to being passive aggressive about it. Not buying wards is bad supporting. Buying them and not bothering is "gently caress you team."

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

rabidsquid posted:

Maybe he doesn't understand how items with actives work? It actually trips up a surprising amount of new players. "Recommended items says buy this, so I buy this. I dunno."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zaodai posted:

Maybe he doesn't understand how items with actives work? It actually trips up a surprising amount of new players. "Recommended items says buy this, so I buy this. I dunno."

I thought this might be the case so I mentioned that Sightstone has refreshable wards but he called me a dumbass and told me he knew. Charming people in this game :allears:

Lightning Knight posted:

Was he last pick support who just didn't get a role he liked? If so that is some dedication to being passive aggressive about it. Not buying wards is bad supporting. Buying them and not bothering is "gently caress you team."

He was a duo queue with a Fiddlesticks and they instantly locked as a botlane. Fiddlesticks AdC was exactly as good as you can imagine it was.

edit: Oh man when the whole team is squishy characters so you build a tanky jungler the expectations are hilarious. Where are the ganks, why don't you have farm, why aren't you tanking? drat man I don't know I can't ever pull off ganks while tanking teamfights and doing CS and objectives :( This is like the best absurdist humor. Oh and the "where is the tank????" complaint came when they engaged in a 4v5 team fight while I was dead after I hit the entire team with Amumu ult and my team ran away. Where is the tank? A question for the ages.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 11, 2014

• Locked thread