Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

comes along bort posted:

For some reason the Danelectro Black Coffee is great with small, cheap amps.

What else is Dano gonna test them with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Fair point.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

syntaxfunction posted:

Big Muffs run about $90-130 over here it seems, even used. But I'll keep an eye out.

Why not try out some Aussie pedals?

MI Effects Crunch Box
http://www.deluxeguitars.com.au/mi-supercrunchbox.asp

Crowther Hotcake (more OD than distortion)
http://www.deluxeguitars.com.au/crowther-hotcake.asp

MI Audio Megalith Delta ($$$ though)
http://www.deluxeguitars.com.au/mi-megalithdelta.asp

Anarchy Audio Vagiant
http://www.anarchyaudioaustralia.com/Vagiant.html

Tym Effects (king of Muff tones)
http://tymguitars.com.au/collections/effects/tym-guitars

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

qball posted:

Why not try out some Aussie pedals?

All good options but I think you missed the memo where I wanted a good but cheap pedal :) I'd love to justify spending $140 on an awesome pedal but I can't right now. The Jet City is $70 and the DS-1 is $65 which is more in line with what I'm looking at. Saying Big Muffs are $90-130 is me saying they're too expensive for my tastes, right now anyway.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Yeah, sorry misunderstood.

If you're in Melbourne check out the Swop Shop, they've always got a good cheap selection of used pedals.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

syntaxfunction posted:

Haha, I was hoping I'd get an Agreed post! I went looking around for a Barber Dirty Bomb or DirectDrive. Found one. For AU$195. Used :/ I'm really starting to get annoyed by the lack of music stuff in this place. I will keep an eye out though. Would you per chance have some clips of the Dirty Bomb or DirectDrive? I know what a DS-1 sounds like, but I think you posted some clips of the Barber's in the Newest Purchase thread way back. I know this because I am a dork who has re-read that thread four times entirely now.

I'm not really focused on a Mesa-in-a-Box, because while I like the sound and it's my default go-to when recording through AmpliTube it's a bit thin and whatnot. If I have money I'd probably buy a Dual Rectifier but it's not at the top of the list.

Now I'm confused with a pro-DS-1 and anti-DS-1 post each!

Edit: Oh, and what's compatibility like for US pedals? They're still just 9V right? So if I get a AUS 9V adapter it'll just work?

gently caress me that's expensive. I bought my DB for $99 US, it's up to about $125 or a bit higher now, but still, that's brand god damned new. Dave's a great builder and I love the DB circuit a lot but I wouldn't pay twice new price for a used unit. AUS gets turbo hosed, sorry man.

Still - if you're not happy with the demos posted (they predate Mike Hermans getting involved with Jet City Music, so they're not AMAZING quality demos like that cat puts out, but they're not awful, quite the opposite - though not super heavy, either of them, and also maybe not showing you the well rounded tonal options each pedal provides) I'll be happy to throw together some simple clips through a little practice amp. Dirty Bomb is heavy as hell, but has a lot of range too. Whole sweep of the Gain knob works quite well, and the two-band Bax EQ plus midrange switch is a brilliant dead simple to use but VERY effective tone stack. The primarily MOSFET-based drive on it responds extremely well to picking dynamics and of course guitar volume knob changes as well.

But $200 is a shitload to pay for a used pedal that cost about half that when it was first introduced :stare: That's halfway to an Openhaus, and already in the realm of some real heavy hitters in the high gain arena.

Someone linked the MI Audio Super Crunch Box, which is another great, very versatile circuit that will do just about any rock or metal thing you want, on the Marshall & Mesa side of things. It advertises itself as a MIAB, and has some Guv'nor heritage that makes that sensible initially, but it definitely isn't all the pedal can do - it's been a standout at general gainy stuff for a long time, and it looks like it has a much fairer price new. I know it might be a little rich for your wallet at the moment, but I would bet you the price of the pedal that you'd be much, much more satisfied saving up and getting it for the not-ridiculous Australian price versus buying a DS-1 that can be had in the states for $50 but doesn't sound anywhere near as good. Opinion, but a strongly held one.

If you just have to have something right now then I guess the DS-1 will work, just a shame to compromise if you don't have to. I dunno. Go with your gut. Take your amp and play some stuff in a store, maybe you'll find something cheap but not lovely. How much does it cost to get Joyo pedals shipped to you? The Ultimate Drive is a Fulltone OCD 2/VLOD clone, it sounds good, and in the states it's about $20 cheaper than a DS-1. That might be something to look at, prices permitting.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Get a rat.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

You can also get Big Muff clones for not too much.

You also might want to look into Danelectro and Joyo stuff.

You can get Joyo pedals from DealExtreme and I believe they ship free to Australia.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
How silly is it to put one compressor at the front of my chain and another one after my distortion, overdrive, flanger and phaser? Is there really a difference between the two or are my ears clowning me?

Also anyone ever use the Mooer Slow Gear clone?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Last night I ordered a Joyo Sweet Baby overdrive to replace my Boss SD-1 that I've had for probably a year or so and never been terribly happy with. I watched a shootout on YouTube with 8 different kinds of Joyo overdrive/distortion pedals and that was the one that sounded the best to me. I've been on a journey for a few years to find an OD or distortion pedal that fits the sound I want to achieve, a journey that's included a Big Muff Pi, RAT2, You Dirty Rat, Digitech Heavy Metal, LPB-1, SD-1 and I think one or two others, too. And out of all those pedals, I've never been extraordinarily happy with any of them. I know they all have different uses and tones but I want the one to rule them all and I haven't found that yet. Hopefully this Joyo is it, and if not, oh well, I'm only out $30 instead of the almost $200 Mad Professor Sweet Honey it's based on. If this isn't the magic pedal I've been searching for then I'll probably buy the Joyo Vintage Overdrive next, a $30 Tubescreamer clone that sounds even better than a Tubescreamer from the YouTube comparison videos I watched.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

juche mane posted:

How silly is it to put one compressor at the front of my chain and another one after my distortion, overdrive, flanger and phaser? Is there really a difference between the two or are my ears clowning me?

Also anyone ever use the Mooer Slow Gear clone?

Just a different form of gain staging than what may be conventional for guitar; so long as you know what it's doing well enough to understand why you're putting the comps where you're putting them, I don't see any issue with it. When using multiple comps it's important to be careful with how much compression you're applying or it'll just eat your dynamics completely - if that's a problem for you, beware, but if it's not and/or you're handling it without issues, the rule of "if it works, do it" applies.

Your ears definitely aren't misleading you, though, a compressor after dirt can actually do kind of a cool "sag" emulation like the power section of a tube amp's often very high voltage swing. I know a lot of guitarists who use a compressor like that, though it's not my preference, just personally. A comp up front is mainly for the range of subtly evening out string level coming from your guitar all the way to very overt big perceived sustain increase (perception is reality when it comes to this, especially if you're playing at volumes where that added compression helps your amp feedback keep your strings going).

One thing in particular, you'll get some phase smearing when using a comp with any sort of time-based modulation (flanger, phaser, chorus especially - it's more likely to just make a tremolo not work correctly than to actually cause weirdness with it) but that's almost certainly not a concern unless you're tracking, and can be fixed in mixing.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Last night I ordered a Joyo Sweet Baby overdrive to replace my Boss SD-1 that I've had for probably a year or so and never been terribly happy with. I watched a shootout on YouTube with 8 different kinds of Joyo overdrive/distortion pedals and that was the one that sounded the best to me. I've been on a journey for a few years to find an OD or distortion pedal that fits the sound I want to achieve, a journey that's included a Big Muff Pi, RAT2, You Dirty Rat, Digitech Heavy Metal, LPB-1, SD-1 and I think one or two others, too. And out of all those pedals, I've never been extraordinarily happy with any of them. I know they all have different uses and tones but I want the one to rule them all and I haven't found that yet. Hopefully this Joyo is it, and if not, oh well, I'm only out $30 instead of the almost $200 Mad Professor Sweet Honey it's based on. If this isn't the magic pedal I've been searching for then I'll probably buy the Joyo Vintage Overdrive next, a $30 Tubescreamer clone that sounds even better than a Tubescreamer from the YouTube comparison videos I watched.

I didn't really like the Sweet Baby. Given the nature of the Honey Bee and Sweet Honey and how much negative feedback is involved in shaping the sound and feel of that circuit, a clone that uses components with poorer tolerances is hard to make sound the same. Not nearly as on-point as the Ultimate Drive, which is pretty darn near identical to an OCD V2/VLOD. Still, don't give up hope on it, you might really dig it. I think it's just one of the more difficult to clone pedals that Joyo is aiming at because Bjorn's an awesome nutcase who can take a slew rate distortion circuit topology and turn it into a crazy good, high dynamic range light OD.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
The joyo dudes are hit or miss. 50/50 shot it will come in with the harnessing hosed. if you know anything about electronic stuff, when you get it, remount it and clean it up. the joyo pedals are notoriously fragile. my chorus ate poo poo within 2 weeks.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't know poo poo about the electronics inside pedals :( Will it be a big deal if I constantly keep it on a desk? I won't be using it for gigs, at least not for the foreseeable future, and it'll pretty much just be for bedroom recording sessions.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
In the market for my first pedalboard/case. Any recommendations for brands and shops in the UK?

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 10, 2014

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I don't know poo poo about the electronics inside pedals :( Will it be a big deal if I constantly keep it on a desk? I won't be using it for gigs, at least not for the foreseeable future, and it'll pretty much just be for bedroom recording sessions.

I should be alright but don't quote me. a friend of mine gigs with their OCD clone and even tours with it, he just got one of the reliable ones I guess

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Smash it Smash hit posted:

The joyo dudes are hit or miss. 50/50 shot it will come in with the harnessing hosed. if you know anything about electronic stuff, when you get it, remount it and clean it up. the joyo pedals are notoriously fragile. my chorus ate poo poo within 2 weeks.

Depends on the pedal. My compressor and Vintage OD (TS clone) are built like brick shithouses, but my US Dream and Sweet Baby don't feel nearly as solid, mostly w/r/t the foot switch.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

Depends on the pedal. My compressor and Vintage OD (TS clone) are built like brick shithouses, but my US Dream and Sweet Baby don't feel nearly as solid, mostly w/r/t the foot switch.

The Sweet Baby was kind of a total piece of poo poo in my opinion, like, would not use it live level of distrust of the construction etc., but maybe I just got an especially bad one.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Alternatively, try a Mooer Black Secret, which is a really nice RAT clone with RAT and Turbo RAT modes.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Agreed posted:

The Sweet Baby was kind of a total piece of poo poo in my opinion, like, would not use it live level of distrust of the construction etc., but maybe I just got an especially bad one.

That might just be the way they're built. I had to send my first one back because it broke in the box. Should've gotten the Ultimate OD with the refund :sigh:

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I mean really, we all know they are made in some shirty warehouse so, just think it depends which set of overworked hands gets on the particular box.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I guess if makes sense if you're on a budget but I don't see the point of those pedals. If you're going to play guitar as a main hobby you should go for exactly what you want. Get equipment that lasts, sounds great, and has a company or person with some sort of proven dedication to quality. Personally if I wanted a bunch of cheap effects I'd go for a well made mid range multieffects unit. I don't mean to sound like a dick though, just passing on advice that I wish I had before I started buying pedals and such.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Hey, Agreed, what do you think of the iStomp virtual pedals? I mean, the pedals themselves... er. The digital things you download into the hardware. Ever try one?

Davis, I spent about sixty bucks and got a complete line of Dano Cool Cats, and another 40 a few times for iStomps. I have pedals on pedals, and I enjoy having them. They're cheap but they're good enough to shape ideas with.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Warcabbit posted:

Hey, Agreed, what do you think of the iStomp virtual pedals? I mean, the pedals themselves... er. The digital things you download into the hardware. Ever try one?

Davis, I spent about sixty bucks and got a complete line of Dano Cool Cats, and another 40 a few times for iStomps. I have pedals on pedals, and I enjoy having them. They're cheap but they're good enough to shape ideas with.

Digitech iStomp? The one that's like $30-$40 now and includes all the pedals except for one (The Impossible Pedal) because they boned up the app support for it? :ohdear:

I think they goofed and should have not goofed, that's unfortunate, but the basic idea is legit.

If I'm thinking of something else, let me know.

I really like the concept of the OFD Soundblox 2 Guitar Micromodeler. It takes some ideas that I like and have seen "production proven" in other software but puts it into an (of course) proprietary implementation in a stomp. I don't particularly care for the list of pedals it models (in that I would have picked some more interesting choices, I guess, not that the ones they picked suck), but who cares, you can dick with them so much that they don't even remotely resemble the thing that they were supposed to be in the first place, and with the expression pedal you can morph between parameters seamlessly which is cool as poo poo and offers some extremely cool sounds. I first ran into a great implementation of that technology with Overloud TH1, and it's even better in Overloud TH2, though technically Marc Gallo's StudioDevil relatively inexpensive amp modeling software uses easy to modify xml files to define its amp parameters and thus it's actually quite easy to get in and DIY yourself some "this amp doesn't exist in the real world but I made it here and it sounds cool as poo poo!"

Arguably Revalver does something kinda like this, but going in and dicking around with the miller capacitance and stuff isn't really the same thing - it's very much attached to "anywhere there's a tube or a transformer, you can do a thing!" and hasn't had great attention to keep it competitive with other modelers in my opinion.

This OFD pedal, though, is only like $170 and gives you killer features for the price. Plus the whole parameter morph thing, which seriously just rules - both for the in-between, freaky cool tonal chimeras you can make by combining an octave fuzz with a Mesa Recto model and playing the in-between there, but also for the ability to seamlessly transition from, say, a lower to a higher gain drive that all works in conjunction with your picking and guitar controls and all that. Very neat idea. Will probably pick one up, I'm into gadgety poo poo like that big time as you well know, haha.

Digital pedals: gettin' better all the time. :getin:

Digitech iStomp: kind of a missed opportunity. :smithcloud:

Edit: Disclosure - I learned about the Source Audio OFD thingy through Tone Report, which is a magazine I'm going to be writing for going forward. I was checking out prior issues to see what the deal was and there's a review for it in this one plus a neato interactive ad thing with a video embedded. Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs2N7mFlKDU

Review starts on page 42 of what I believe is the current issue, issue 9. I don't know if it's available to purchase yet but soon as it is, preeeetty good chance I'm going to dive in.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 10, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I guess if makes sense if you're on a budget but I don't see the point of those pedals. If you're going to play guitar as a main hobby you should go for exactly what you want. Get equipment that lasts, sounds great, and has a company or person with some sort of proven dedication to quality. Personally if I wanted a bunch of cheap effects I'd go for a well made mid range multieffects unit. I don't mean to sound like a dick though, just passing on advice that I wish I had before I started buying pedals and such.
Fuckin' truth right here. Play what the hell makes you happy and makes you WANT to pick up your poo poo want play. Cheap, unreliable poo poo, whether it sounds good or not, won't do anything but frustrate you and cause you to spend more time lamenting the state of your gear than actually playing.

If budget's an issue (and really, when is it NOT?) there are PLENTY of used, QUALITY effects around that get close enough for all but TGP crowd as far as the sound's concerned. Hit up those tiny music shops in small rural towns, you'd be AMAZED what you find there.

Warcabbit posted:

Not directed at me, but I picked one up back when they first went on sale for $40 and I was pretty pleased with it. I ended up trading it off the other day because it didn't replace anything I already had but overall, I was really pleased with the build quality and how it sounded. If there was any sort of a homebrew scene for those, I'd probably snap up 5 or 6.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

iostream.h posted:

If budget's an issue (and really, when is it NOT?) there are PLENTY of used, QUALITY effects around that get close enough for all but TGP crowd as far as the sound's concerned. Hit up those tiny music shops in small rural towns, you'd be AMAZED what you find there.

To be fair, a Barber Dirty Bomb that retailed for either $99 as an introductory price or $140 now, brand new, is for sale used for $200+ local to him, and that's despite the fact that it's only 1:1.12 USD to AUD right now. So it's not just "TGP only" pedals that are apparently nutty expensive. Makes the Crunch Box look like one hell of a deal at its price in AUD given that it's a domestically manufactured pedal there.

I don't get the feeling that he's had a LOT of opportunities to look around for used pedals at the moment, but he's had quite a few good suggestions that will hopefully help him get something that isn't just a DS-1. I mean, it's not the worst pedal in the world, just seems like a shame to spend $70 on a new DS-1 when you can, hopefully, get some really remarkably good pedals for less than that used.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Agreed posted:

To be fair, a Barber Dirty Bomb that retailed for either $99 as an introductory price or $140 now, brand new, is for sale used for $200+ local to him, and that's despite the fact that it's only 1:1.12 USD to AUD right now.
Oh gently caress, sorry, I didn't realize we were talking about the AU gear issues. Yeah, that's a whole other can of worms.

Hey guy, does it get any cheaper if you just have someone stateside ship one to you?

Edit: Oh, and check your email, sent some pics of fancy lightbulbs.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Agreed posted:

...Makes the Crunch Box look like one hell of a deal at its price in AUD given that it's a domestically manufactured pedal there...

And you might be able to pick up an older Crunch Box now the Super Crunch Box is out.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

iostream.h posted:

Oh gently caress, sorry, I didn't realize we were talking about the AU gear issues. Yeah, that's a whole other can of worms.

Hey guy, does it get any cheaper if you just have someone stateside ship one to you?

Edit: Oh, and check your email, sent some pics of fancy lightbulbs.

1. Yeah, man, it is ABSURD how screwed prices are in Australia. Hopefully he can find a used Crunch Box. That'd be my go-to recommendation at this point. Everything else is "if you can't find that, then..."

2. I'm pretty sure they have really high import taxes and are serious as poo poo about them, based on some discussions with Aus friends. Correct me if I'm wrong, residents?

3/Edit: gently caress YES :allears:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I really appreciate all the suggestions you guys have given me. It sucks how the market for stuff is around here but I'm going to definitely keep an eye on the used places. It's just a bit ridiculous the disparity between the US and Australia, where you get people in the US talking about scoring pedals for under a hundred bucks that would cost $200 or so here.

I've only ordered one thing from the states (My G&L Ascari) and that cost me $180 for shipping, the cheapest option. Once you factor in shipping even for little things you pretty much approach local prices. Maybe save a little bit.

I'm not super keen on getting a DS-1 if I can get other pedals, and I'm in no rush, so I might sit on it and keep an eye out for used stuff. Thanks again for the great suggestions guys.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Agreed posted:

2. I'm pretty sure they have really high import taxes and are serious as poo poo about them, based on some discussions with Aus friends. Correct me if I'm wrong, residents?

If it's under a grand worth, you don't pay anything.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Digital Jesus posted:

How about if it's over? I think the discussion centered around a guitar, so pretty good chance it was higher than that. Either way, that's a hell of a lot more reasonable for affordable, smaller gear items. While dealers and distributors are surely constrained by their MAP relationships, there's nothing stopping a customer from making a private purchase and spreading a fairer price, good Samaritan style, apart from I suppose trust and starting capital...

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Agreed posted:

Digitech iStomp? The one that's like $30-$40 now and includes all the pedals except for one (The Impossible Pedal) because they boned up the app support for it? :ohdear:

I think they goofed and should have not goofed, that's unfortunate, but the basic idea is legit.

That's the one. What do you mean they boned up the app support? I figured they did, but I never heard what it was.
I own two, actually, and I like them - I mostly use one as a reverb and the other for 'whatever I feel like at the moment'

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 10, 2014

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Digital Jesus posted:

But if you are getting it from a brick and mortar store in Australia don't they tend to charge out the rear end because they feel like they can get away from it?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

I really appreciate all the suggestions you guys have given me. It sucks how the market for stuff is around here but I'm going to definitely keep an eye on the used places. It's just a bit ridiculous the disparity between the US and Australia, where you get people in the US talking about scoring pedals for under a hundred bucks that would cost $200 or so here.

I've only ordered one thing from the states (My G&L Ascari) and that cost me $180 for shipping, the cheapest option. Once you factor in shipping even for little things you pretty much approach local prices. Maybe save a little bit.

I'm not super keen on getting a DS-1 if I can get other pedals, and I'm in no rush, so I might sit on it and keep an eye out for used stuff. Thanks again for the great suggestions guys.

Yo you ever get a pedal?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Stravinsky posted:

Yo you ever get a pedal?

Haha not yet. Still keeping an eye out while unexpected things take money from my wallet. I'll definitely let people know when I do grab something.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I have a Tube Screamer clone, a Suhr Riot clone, and a Sweet Honey Overdrive clone. Which of these would be best for pushing a dirty channel into saturation for leads? I'm playing a Strat if it matters.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

I have a Tube Screamer clone, a Suhr Riot clone, and a Sweet Honey Overdrive clone. Which of these would be best for pushing a dirty channel into saturation for leads? I'm playing a Strat if it matters.

On what amp?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

iostream.h posted:

On what amp?

JCA50, 50 watt 6L6 on the bright side of things

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

Haha not yet. Still keeping an eye out while unexpected things take money from my wallet. I'll definitely let people know when I do grab something.

Email me your address or whereever you recieve mail at there was an email here. Now its gone because if shipping is not stupid you will get a thing.

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Stravinsky posted:

Email me your address or whereever you recieve mail at email because if shipping is not stupid you will get a thing.

Emailed away! You're an awesome dude!