Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

I just thought this was the best Reformation I've had in any game (I only engineered Reformed in the west).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.
That looks awesome, Europe is evenly divided in 3 religions for a change.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Zodium posted:

I just thought this was the best Reformation I've had in any game (I only engineered Reformed in the west).

Pretty religious borders? What witchcraft is this?!

Dickensian Aspect
Mar 18, 2009

Zodium posted:

What happened to the Ottomans?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
So did a Japanese unification as Uesegi, then went on to colonize Indonesia and North America.

Is there some way to shut down the constant "Kiristian" bad events? Because everything would be swimming (westernized in 1650ish after running into Spain and Portugal in America) if it weren't for the 20-30 rebels spawning all over my island imperium constantly because some governor decides to rub people's noses in their icons.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

dat one portagee posted:

I have a question regarding releasing vassals:

I'm Muscovy and currently kicking the crap out of Lithuania. I have about 97% war score, just a few more provinces to occupy until I could force them to release Ukraine. I figure it would be in my best interest to have a close friend in the area.

My question is, rather than just forcing them to release Ukraine should I take as many Ukraine core provinces as possible and create them as a vassal myself? Could I then feed them provinces from Lithuania to make a super vassal? I'm playing Ironman and don't want to gently caress up, especially because I just finished westernization and i'm getting hit with troubled times events left and right. I wasn't too sure if the create a vassal option would work like I think it would or not.

You should select one of the following:

1. Take 1 Ukraine province (possibly with a neighbouring non-ukraine province that you'll feed to them). Release Ukraine as a vassal. Next war, demand that Lithuania give all Ukrainian territory back. Disadvantage: 2 wars, Lithuania has a chance to recover and/or get better allies. Advantage: less aggressive expansion, your vassal will love you for all the returned territory.
2. Take it all, release Ukraine as a vassal. Disadvantage: heavy on the aggressive expansion, vassal won't be as happy. Advantage: 1 war, heavily weaken Lithuania.

Lum_ posted:

So did a Japanese unification as Uesegi, then went on to colonize Indonesia and North America.

Is there some way to shut down the constant "Kiristian" bad events? Because everything would be swimming (westernized in 1650ish after running into Spain and Portugal in America) if it weren't for the 20-30 rebels spawning all over my island imperium constantly because some governor decides to rub people's noses in their icons.
If you are under the influence of western trade, you should have a decision called "enact Sakoku law". It's got painful requirements, but it should stop the random conversion to christianity, and give your missionaries a boost.

(it also enables an event that will convert a province back to Shinto, at the cost of a large revolt on said province. Be warned)

double nine fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 10, 2014

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Dickensian Aspect posted:

What happened to the Ottomans?

I released Byzantium and subsidized them to the tune of 500g/month for a few decades.

Regular borders ain't shabby, either:

Zodium fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 10, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lum_ posted:

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Japan#Enforce_Sakoku_Law

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Zodium posted:

I released Byzantium and subsidized them to the tune of 500g/month for a few decades.

Regular borders ain't shabby, either:

Woah, you're going to have to step back and explain how Mega-Galicia happened.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I finally had personal Union go my way! As Russia I just fought off Castile for Austria but it's 1760 so the game will end a year after I integrate them. :(

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Soviet_Russia posted:

Woah, you're going to have to step back and explain how Mega-Galicia happened.

Generally, demand their release in peace, ally/subsidize them, then start declaring war on whoever they neighbor, like Castille and Portugal. You need them to have a big enough army to carpet siege with artillery, at least 40 regiments, or it'll be painfully slow. Go Offensive/Quality and roll in with one or two 32/8/40 stacks to wipe out their standing armies, let the little guy do the sieging, cede the provinces directly in the peace and patrol for any island rebels.

In this case, though, I just released one country per trade node and fed them my own cores because I had to go fight Sweden, and I hate micromanaging sieges.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

The single best roadblock to France is the Burgundian Inheritance, because it gives all the good parts of Burgundy to Austria.

Having played a bunch of games where the Burgundians lived on, I assure you that France will plow right through them without slowing down.

If you're Austria, the even better scenario is that you ally yourself with the Burgundians to kick the poo poo out of France at every opportunity, keeping in mind that if France and the HRE are at war, the event won't fire. As long as you accept Burgundy's call to arms against France, no succession crisis.

After 1500 the event will no longer fire. Coincidentally, this is also when Austria becomes eligible for a mission to enforce PU on Burgundy. A PU'd Burgundy is way better than split.

Greenllama
Jun 10, 2013

I am a green llama capable of posting on SA forums. Please adopt me.
Dominating the world with ryuku:
1)Sitting in front of your computer for about 10 hours with the game at max speed while you wait for a single interesting thing to happen
2)Instantly get wrecked by Japan when they suddenly decide to invade you
3)You won, no ???s and profits.. you just won

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Was renaming capitals actually put in with 1.4? I can't figure out how to do it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Badger of Basra posted:

Was renaming capitals actually put in with 1.4? I can't figure out how to do it.

It's in the beta patch and will be in 1.5.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

If you're Austria, the even better scenario is that you ally yourself with the Burgundians to kick the poo poo out of France at every opportunity, keeping in mind that if France and the HRE are at war, the event won't fire. As long as you accept Burgundy's call to arms against France, no succession crisis.

After 1500 the event will no longer fire. Coincidentally, this is also when Austria becomes eligible for a mission to enforce PU on Burgundy. A PU'd Burgundy is way better than split.

Not really. Burgundy doesn't lose their cores from the Inheritance, so you can immediately release them as a vassal and feed them their cores back from France/Austria, depending on who you play.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Zodium posted:

Not really. Burgundy doesn't lose their cores from the Inheritance, so you can immediately release them as a vassal and feed them their cores back from France/Austria, depending on who you play.

Yeah but that requires you actually get those cores off of France, instead of spending those early wars making them cancel vassals or release Toulouse or something.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Jackson Taus posted:

Yeah but that requires you actually get those cores off of France, instead of spending those early wars making them cancel vassals or release Toulouse or something.

It allows you to spend those early wars getting those cores off France, instead of sitting on rear end for 70+ years waiting to get them. It also makes it a lot easier to get the other cores you want off France, since you'll be stronger and they'll be weaker.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I'm about half-way through an ironman orthodox Ottoman WC and I can't decide between continuing and waiting for the patch. Cores are starting to disappear and the difficulties with vassal feeding are annoying me. The patch will alleviate that but will also add more AE, leading to bigger coalitions. I currently have a coalition of England, Castille and Muscovy against me and I'm about to move into India, I'd rather not have to fight the whole subcontinent every 5 years. How is AE with the beta patch? Should I try to finish the WC before the patch or afterwards?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How did you get that coalition? I ended my Ottoman save with a fully conquered Italy and Iberian peninsula thanks to continuous wars (literally the day the truce ended) and the only thing i got was a coalition from Savoy and a Madrid only Spain.

Agressive expansion is hilariously low, i could've conquered France too if i wasn't so lazy.

Also, is it me or does religious ideas seem like the best first idea to develop as Otomans?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Mans posted:

How did you get that coalition? I ended my Ottoman save with a fully conquered Italy and Iberian peninsula thanks to continuous wars (literally the day the truce ended) and the only thing i got was a coalition from Savoy and a Madrid only Spain.

Agressive expansion is hilariously low, i could've conquered France too if i wasn't so lazy.

Also, is it me or does religious ideas seem like the best first idea to develop as Otomans?

Muscovy has only -17 AE, GB has -43 and Castile -84 (they've been landlocked for a while, I'm currently feeding their colonies to Turkish West Indies). Those 3 plus Norway, Sweden, Munster and Hungary are the only independent countries left in that screenshot, everyone else is a HRE vassal. :)

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Vodos posted:

Muscovy has only -17 AE, GB has -43 and Castile -84 (they've been landlocked for a while, I'm currently feeding their colonies to Turkish West Indies). Those 3 plus Norway, Sweden, Munster and Hungary are the only independent countries left in that screenshot, everyone else is a HRE vassal. :)

And you're worried about the subcontinent ganging up on you?

Personally I'd be happy waiting or not as at this point you don't mind mega coalitions as it means you don't have to wait for peace.

Every time you get a new member to the coalition, declare war on them, annex\vas as much as you can from whoever you can, repeat every time a new member joins.

It's like free wars.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

And you're worried about the subcontinent ganging up on you?

Personally I'd be happy waiting or not as at this point you don't mind mega coalitions as it means you don't have to wait for peace.

Every time you get a new member to the coalition, declare war on them, annex\vas as much as you can from whoever you can, repeat every time a new member joins.

It's like free wars.

I'm not worried, I'm pretty sure I could win a war against all remaining countries combined, it's more that coalitions in India are annoying and tedious. It mainly pisses me off when they go sit on provinces working on cores. I hadn't looked at coalitions the way you described, they just annoy me.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Yeah, this WC attempt is going well so far...

Not pictured: Muscovy being utterly shat on by Novgorod and my control of Azores/Madeira/Canaries.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

A Tartan Tory posted:

Yeah, this WC attempt is going well so far...

Not pictured: Muscovy being utterly shat on by Novgorod and my control of Azores/Madeira/Canaries.

How the gently caress do you get Lancasters with those stats? I celebrate when mine have average stats higher than 2 early on. I really thought they were hardcoded to be poo poo but apparently I have just bad luck.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Vodos posted:

How the gently caress do you get Lancasters with those stats? I celebrate when mine have average stats higher than 2 early on. I really thought they were hardcoded to be poo poo but apparently I have just bad luck.

After the 0/0/0 I got a 0/0/1 heir. :downs:

Luckily, he died mysteriously in a boating accident on the way to the Azores and his younger brother took over aged 16!

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

I'm new to the post DLC EU4. Is Lithuania supposed to be able to make a protectorate out of Crimea? I thought that was for the new world colonies?!

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Jean Pony posted:

I'm new to the post DLC EU4. Is Lithuania supposed to be able to make a protectorate out of Crimea? I thought that was for the new world colonies?!

Protectorates are basically the new vassal system for those nations that are far below you on tech, it's not just the new world.

e.g. For westernised nations, any nation below the 140% Muslim tech group can be a protectorate.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Jean Pony posted:

Horde/Sub-Saharan/Meso-American/Chinese/Indian/North American Tech Groups all tend to be made protectorates instead of vassals by Western/Eastern powers.

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

Ok. Just sucks that Poland has Lithuania in a PU and Lithunia as fairly big Crimea as a protectorate when I'm Muscowy is all. POL/LIT would've sufficed on its own.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Having the Crimea as a PLC Protectorate is miles better than them being an Ottoman Protectorate. Of course, knowing how buggy the protectorate system is, they're probably still allied to the Ottomans! :v:

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Anyone have any tips for playing as Venice? Would it be a good idea to release Croatia and join the HRE? Would a vassal Croatia buy any Bosnian/Serbian provinces?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I was going to ask a modding question. In my CK2 game I am constructing my Roman Empier which is currently looking like this (in 1321):

Now, I might want to use the remaining time to expand to the borders of Trajan which would mean:

The problem is, wouldn't this make me horrifyingly powerful in EUIV right from the start? Additionally, I am not sure how mcuh fun it'd be with most territory capture already. Is there anyway I could split the Roman Empire up without it being completely different nations? Maybe something like Diocletian's tetrarchy:

However, I am not sure how you'd mod this in EUIV. Additionally, would there be any other interesting ways the Roman Empire could be balanced out? Another concern is, that if I blob in CK2, Europe will be a boring mess in EUIV.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
You're already going to be overpowered in EUIV.

But that's always going to be true if you don't start CKII late and restrict yourself from blobbing up.

Of course, you could always use it as a launching point to see if you could do a world conquest.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Fintilgin posted:

You're already going to be overpowered in EUIV.

But that's always going to be true if you don't start CKII late and restrict yourself from blobbing up.

Of course, you could always use it as a launching point to see if you could do a world conquest.

Rome 2: Rome Harder.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Yeah that game will be not much fun. The only thing left to do is declare wars, and you're guaranteed to win any war you declare.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Alikchi posted:

Yeah that game will be not much fun. The only thing left to do is declare wars, and you're guaranteed to win any war you declare.

He should play as another nation and take on the monstrosity he's created

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Farecoal posted:

Ryukyu calls for their saviour!

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Yeah I'm probably going to seize one more Empire title (Maybe Arabia/Persian) then break it up. Maybe Britannia breaking off to be its own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Farecoal posted:

Exactly. Although he should play his creation for the first 10 years or so, just make sure it's nice and stable out of the gate.

• Locked thread