Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

S Danger K posted:

I see a bunch of expansions are 50% off at the moment. Should I pull the trigger on a few of these or wait for a 75% off deal?

I'd say to do it - the only times I've seen 75% sales have been on Steam at Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I got 2000 simpoints for registering my game and one of the expansions (I forget which, the ohters only got crappy rear end reward packs). I bought like, a super sleepy bed and a teleporting breakfast/poop machine to make my sims lives easier (and involve less sleeping). I still have just over 1000 left.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

If sims could eat on the toilet or drink coffee in the shower I'd be so happy.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

That's something coming to Sims 4 if I recall. Maxis and EA were talking up greater Sim action multi-tasking, like being able to read a cookbook while you're cooking or talking on the phone and walking around the house.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I got 2000 simpoints for registering my game and one of the expansions (I forget which, the ohters only got crappy rear end reward packs). I bought like, a super sleepy bed and a teleporting breakfast/poop machine to make my sims lives easier (and involve less sleeping). I still have just over 1000 left.

Yeah, I think the base game comes with some points. I have a set of modern-looking couches and seats, and a couple of fancy appliances from that. That's from before they started adding like neato custom stuff to the store, so it's just cooler skins for the regular microwave and coffee machine, with maybe higher food ratings. What I don't have is a bitchin glassmaking forge, or a bunch of arcade machines and a big couch with built-in cup holders.

SheepNameKiller posted:

If you don't have any other available seats in the house, sims will absolutely sit on the toilet to eat a meal. I learned this by way over-extending my budget in the most recent go-around.

Oh man, I hope Sims 4 brings us shower beer.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

deadly_pudding posted:

If you don't have any other available seats in the house, sims will absolutely sit on the toilet to eat a meal. I learned this by way over-extending my budget in the most recent go-around.

yeah but will they poop at the same time?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm disappointed the gambling skill didn't come with a gambling addiction mechanic, but then the grimdark sims game of my dreams probably couldn't swing a T rating.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Sims who are on fire will no longer be forced to attend graduation before they can put themselves out.

Oh man, I'm sad I never had that. Just image the scene: "Dude, you are burning!" "Shut up, this is my graduation and nothing will make me miss it!"

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Torrannor posted:

Oh man, I'm sad I never had that. Just image the scene: "Dude, you are burning!" "Shut up, this is my graduation and nothing will make me miss it!"

I would give anything for a graduation photo featuring a burning sim throwing the peace sign and hugging his grandparents.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
To the people having problems with long load times: I had this issue as well for a long time, I have something like 4 gigabytes of mods and it was killing my will to even boot up the game. Even looking through costumes if I ever got into CAS took forever.

However! There is a solution. The wizards over at modthesims have come up with a program called CC Magic. Apparently the slowdowns happen because either the game or the system cannot handle all those files being loaded or checked up on at once, and CC Magic solves this by organising all your objects into sets and compressing them into single package files, so what you are left with is maybe 5 big files instead of ten thousand small ones.

Using this program decreased my load times from over half an hour (if it loaded at all) to under a minute and noticeably reduced the in-game lag.
It was comparatively easy to install and manage and works together with RigFix, another program that solves the bug of chairs not connecting to tables properly that was introduced with the Pets expansion/the accompanying patch.

You can get these programs here:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=461888
https://www.thesimsresource.com/fixyourgame/step1

CommonSensei
Apr 3, 2011

I would give anything for a graduation photo featuring a burning sim throwing the peace sign and hugging his grandparents.

Sent as a postcard, "Wish You Were Here"

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

“Become Enemies with Child” wish no longer appears.

Sims who are on fire will no longer be forced to attend graduation before they can put themselves out.

Baby Sims will no longer become stuck on a Sim’s hand while driving a car.

Sims will no longer receive a wish to “Skinny Dip” with Mummies.

Pianists will no longer continue playing pianos that have been detonated.

You're making a very strong case for buying Sims 4 on launch and never patching it.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
I'm a bit jealous, because my glitches are never that funny. They're just highly frustrating and confusing.

For instance, in my current neighborhood, using the 'Prepare Lunch > Autumn Salad' interaction causes the Sim to freeze, their queue to get stuck (Resetsim does not work to fix this), and a catastrophic lag spike that makes saving and exiting the game a challenge. I had to download NRAAS Mastercontroller just to fix it. This has occurred three times with the same results.

Of course, the 'Serve Lunch > Autumn Salad' interaction is just fine.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Huge Liability posted:

I'm a bit jealous, because my glitches are never that funny. They're just highly frustrating and confusing.

For instance, in my current neighborhood, using the 'Prepare Lunch > Autumn Salad' interaction causes the Sim to freeze, their queue to get stuck (Resetsim does not work to fix this), and a catastrophic lag spike that makes saving and exiting the game a challenge. I had to download NRAAS Mastercontroller just to fix it. This has occurred three times with the same results.

No, you're right. I never get the fun glitches, either. I had to scrap a legacy save I was pretty invested in a couple weeks ago because an investigator sim stopped being able to turn in Opportunities, and a Fairy sim stopped being able to cast spells. I'm running with nraas again now, though, so hopefully I'm done with that.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

You're making a very strong case for buying Sims 4 on launch and never patching it.

The Sims 4: The bugs are better than the features

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
Well I was going to buy $50 worth of expansion packs before the sale ended, but Origin seems to hate my card. At first it was Error #10049 now after figuring that out it is error #10048. Wish I found out about this sale sooner so I could have figured this out, but I guess today is the last day of the sale and I will miss out.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
If you guys like to see these Sims stories, I recommend checking out Vinesauce's Sims videos. They're mind boggling :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS1iajgWXqg

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I wish your sims could keep the job abilities they get from future jobs when they return to the present.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Huge Liability posted:

Stuff like this tends to happen due to outdated mods. Try updating or removing mods that don't explicitly mention compatibility with your patch number.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

TOM TOADSBY AND SHARKBAIT JONES!

Toadsby is so bad at being a magician that a witch turned him into a toad!

Jones got eaten by a shark and is scared to go in the water!

They live on a lovely houseboat together and try to pay their bills!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

My interest is piqued :magical:

This is like what an Adam Sandler movie looks like through the lens of intense sleep deprivation, I bet.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

My interest is piqued :magical:

This is like what an Adam Sandler movie looks like through the lens of intense sleep deprivation, I bet.

So far its mostly Toadsby performing for tips for 8 hours at a time and not getting any then crying and eating nachos, while Jenkins stays home and doesn't catch any fish at all.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

primelaw posted:

If you guys like to see these Sims stories, I recommend checking out Vinesauce's Sims videos. They're mind boggling :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS1iajgWXqg

:stonk:
I think the appeal of FirstPersonShitter's stories is that things are just absurd enough. None of those weird... slider abortions. My god.
:stonklol:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Haha what's Jones going to do if he' fishing and catches a shark?

There's a drowned ghost family in my neighborhood and my sim was being a lifeguard (it sucks, it's like firefighting with no stealing) and one of the drowned ghosts started to uh... drown again... and my sim was distracted playing on his ipad and the ghost stopped drowning and marched out of the sea to lecture him. Like, don't involve me in your death-reenactment roleplay, blue dude.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

There's a drowned ghost family in my neighborhood and my sim was being a lifeguard (it sucks, it's like firefighting with no stealing) and one of the drowned ghosts started to uh... drown again... and my sim was distracted playing on his ipad and the ghost stopped drowning and marched out of the sea to lecture him. Like, don't involve me in your death-reenactment roleplay, blue dude.

"Look, pal, I'm on level 259 of Candy Crush Saga. Go reenact your drowning on someone else's beach. I'm not paid enough for this."

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Christ. Now I want to make the house from Beetlejuice. Two drowned ghost spouses, and then another family of two humans and I'm not sure if Lydia counts as a witch, all living under the same roof.

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 11, 2014

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

deadly_pudding posted:

Christ. Now I want to make the house from Beetlejuice. Two drowned ghost spouses, and then another family of two humans and I'm not sure if Lydia counts as a witch, all living under the same roof.

She should be gothy and researching alchemy and poo poo but not actually a legit witch yet.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I'm having trouble deciding on a good job for Sharkbait Jones. Toadsby has managed to turn his career around and just put on his first hit performance at the local coffee house, so the pair have enough money to start actually covering their walls and replacing their furniture with stuff that isn't made out of actual trash.

Sharkbait's been making some decent money out of fishing but he yearns for something more. Something without the risk of catching sharks.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Gardening is like fishing in the ground. Let the soil be your ocean. And you can garden even on a houseboat.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Make him a chef specializing in shark fin soup.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Holy poo poo Bot Building is hard. There are so many parts and pieces to make and keep track of it, it's kind of overwhelming compared to even gardening. I actually had to make a paper list of my common chips and their ingredients, because I felt like I was spending half my time in game looking at ingredients.

On the other hand now that I've put in all the work I can make a plumbot worth $14k, so that's nice. The first bot I built has been with the family in their tiny home the entire time, spending every free moment learning logic so he can make the Young Again potion, making his creator and creator's wife immortal.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Well, tonight's session went quickly to a dark place. I threw a wedding party for my wizardly detective, only to find out upon her arrival that his fiancee had shifted permanently into "ex-girlfriend" mode.

The next day, he autonomously cast Love Charm on himself first thing after he woke up, so I had to get him the hell out of his house or risk hot makeouts with one of his housemates. Long story short, Thadius may have used his magic to break up an entire family and marry a lady who fell in love with him while not in her right mind.

Should I roll with that outcome, or use my player authority to bust up his marriage? Why is Love Charm a thing they can cast under Free Will mode? :gonk:

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses

deadly_pudding posted:

Well, tonight's session went quickly to a dark place. I threw a wedding party for my wizardly detective, only to find out upon her arrival that his fiancee had shifted permanently into "ex-girlfriend" mode.

The next day, he autonomously cast Love Charm on himself first thing after he woke up, so I had to get him the hell out of his house or risk hot makeouts with one of his housemates. Long story short, Thadius may have used his magic to break up an entire family and marry a lady who fell in love with him while not in her right mind.

Should I roll with that outcome, or use my player authority to bust up his marriage? Why is Love Charm a thing they can cast under Free Will mode? :gonk:

Are you playing a challenge or just for fun?

If just for fun then go ahead and break it. If a challenge then either follow the rules of the challenge or again break it up

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

dereku posted:

Are you playing a challenge or just for fun?

If just for fun then go ahead and break it. If a challenge then either follow the rules of the challenge or again break it up

It's unintentional challenge, haha. This guy can't keep a girlfriend because he keeps love-charming people, so all his girlfriends eventually accuse him of cheating and break up. This one only worked out because I rushed the marriage on the same day as the charm. I'm curious to see if it works itself out when she slaps the poo poo out of him for being in the same building as an ex a day or two down the line.

Das_Bass
Feb 11, 2014

SheepNameKiller posted:

If Sims could do more than one task at a time I'd be happy. Who stands up just to talk on the phone?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

You should break up with her by casting a love charm on a hobo and then convincing that random lady to talk to him/her. That's the best way to get rid of someone you magically seduced by accident.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tenik posted:

You should break up with her by casting a love charm on a hobo and then convincing that random lady to talk to him/her. That's the best way to get rid of someone you magically seduced by accident.

Alternately: Set her on fire :twisted:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

deadly_pudding posted:

Ha, why did you prevent him from making out with his housemates? Imagine the drama once he inevitably cheats on them! :black101:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I wish you could throw away the cellphone. Toadsby gets like 50 date invites per day because other sims randomly fall in love with him at his shows. Its loving annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Das_Bass posted:

If Sims could do more than one task at a time I'd be happy. Who stands up just to talk on the phone?

My brother! All he can do while on the phone is talk, pace and look annoyed if you try to interrupt him.

• Locked thread