Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Once you get over the initial hurdle this game sure gets a lot easier. I just had a developed world shard were both the AI players never got out of their initial ring because the second one was way too tough (I had suicided through mine) so my level 13 warrior was just cutting up a whole bunch of level 1-3 heroes that only had weak tier 1 troops without breaking a sweat. The tier 2 good units seem kinda bad though. The horsemen just get mobbed if you want to use their charge function and the horse archer ranged is just way too weak. Monks are basically only useful for keeping my warrior alive forever. I'm hoping those spear guys I just unlocked are better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Is there any way to judge how hard an encounter will be before doing it, or to back out once you've seen its too much? I've lost my first three armies now to exploring a province, finding a monster, guessing that I can take it, and then losing horribly because it had 100 some health and all my guys do 0-2 damage.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Xenoborg posted:

Is there any way to judge how hard an encounter will be before doing it, or to back out once you've seen its too much? I've lost my first three armies now to exploring a province, finding a monster, guessing that I can take it, and then losing horribly because it had 100 some health and all my guys do 0-2 damage.

Your hero will say something about the encounter like "They will trample me" or "I will easily beat them"

But they can be horribly, horribly wrong.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Uuurgh, just had a real grind of a shard. No iron to start with, but that was okay as I had plenty of money coming in and could bootstrap my way up to thugs without it. Went off to conquer my neighbours with my thug army and was able to smash Oinor and Herskil pretty quickly (both down by turn ~100). Hit Oinor so fast he only had adventurer guards on his capitol, Herskil was able to throw down a vampire guard at a chokepoint, which I dodged, but then had a backup ogres guard, which I had to batter through, losing some of my veteran troops. I'd passed Oumm a while back but pretty much ignored the guy as he was backed into a corner and wasn't a threat, Herskil had been the priority at the time. Now with just Oumm left I turned by army back around for the imagined leisurely jog to the finish line. Yeah he still had crap heroes and mainly tier 1 troops, but from somewhere or other he had found an absolute MONSTER of a guard. All thugs, executioners and war elephants, around about five of each, all level 15+. I had my commander-scout with some thugs and an archer kicking around exploring provinces. Battering your head against a brick wall doesn't even come close.

I spent at least fifty turns hunting around for SOMETHING to fight the guy with but came up with squat. Ended up throwing my two heroes against it, having them both splatter, rezzing them on the other side of the shard and marching them hell-for-leather to attack again with fresh troops, hoping what little damage I did each time wasn't getting regenned by the time they got there. Absolute nightmare.

But it worked. Eventually. And I now have access to magicians! I hope they're worth it.

edit:

Xenoborg posted:

Don't be afraid to throw your army against stuff and turn back time if you get splatted. You really need to get a feel for what units are capable of, it's important to see them in action. There's plenty of stuff that's technically terrifying, but with some clever footwork or use of magic can be made trivial (using web on knights or executioners, using fear on trolls, that sort of thing). There's also plenty of stuff that's always a nightmare. Like dragons.

suburban virgin fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 25, 2013

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Dragons are very easy, just use the spell that transforms one of your units into a dragon too. It's expensive but it works like a charm. Best part of this is, that if there is also an army with the dragon, they'll die trying to kill yours.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Tahirovic posted:

Dragons are very easy, just use the spell that transforms one of your units into a dragon too. It's expensive but it works like a charm. Best part of this is, that if there is also an army with the dragon, they'll die trying to kill yours.

I haven't even ever seen that spell, not to mention actually getting it, so I wouldn't call that "easy" by any stretch of imagination. I found the easiest way to kill dragons to be using a level ~13 scout with any crossbow (penetrates armor), precise shot (more pen), doubleshot and stamina rings to keep using doubleshot. Get a cheap army of spearmen or something and keep doubleshotting the dragon while it's eating the spearmen until it keels over. Doesn't even need tier 2 units or spells or anything.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Dropbear posted:

I haven't even ever seen that spell, not to mention actually getting it, so I wouldn't call that "easy" by any stretch of imagination. I found the easiest way to kill dragons to be using a level ~13 scout with any crossbow (penetrates armor), precise shot (more pen), doubleshot and stamina rings to keep using doubleshot. Get a cheap army of spearmen or something and keep doubleshotting the dragon while it's eating the spearmen until it keels over. Doesn't even need tier 2 units or spells or anything.

It's no quick win if you get it either. Only works for three turns (unless you have really high concentration), your transformed dragon only has the stamina (and movement, on the first turn) of the unit you transformed and there's no guarantee of doing enough damage. And you can't Astral Energy any more turns out of it or buff it in any other way because it's a dragon and immune to spells. Doubleshot scout is probably much more reliable.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The best way to kill a dragon is either with a scout and a bunch of cheap blockers surrounding him to keep him from being burned or just a solo warrior. Both strategies have worked without failinng for me. No success with wizards or commanders yet though. In fact I haven't ever had a commander be useful.

Anyone know if its even possible to form an alliance with others? I had the good bearded guy and the fairy being friendly with me for ages during a match (since I, thanks to a good starting position was way stronger then them combined) and constantly bribing me with money and neither would accept my alliance requests. On that note, anyone notice their positions on you changing from indifferent in the metagame at all? And finally anyone had problems with some achievements like having the a full item set and completing a shard without units dying unlocking? I did both on that easy one without effect.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

A giant spider with support will also easily dispatch a dragon since the web doesn't count as magic and the dragon can't do anything. Easily my favourite egg to find.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Davincie posted:

In fact I haven't ever had a commander be useful.

I was confused to hear people saying this since the commander is always my first hero, and always ends up carrying the majority of the weight throughout the match. I think it has to do with karma. A lot of people play good and use the scout/shield wall system, relying on the scout to do most of the damage and swords or pikes to protect the scout. This doesn't work nearly as well with evil units since they don't have the ranged protection, defence or healing to form a proper wall. Evil units work best when they run out and thump the other guy first, and a commander who buffs their ability to do that works wonders. Try it with good units however and you discover they really lack killing power. Without the archer to cover them a shield wall of good units just doesn't have the damage output, and without a commader a charge of evil units just doesn't have the weight of numbers or ooomph it really needs.

Anyway, that's my theory for why a lot of good players have trouble with the commander while I don't like the scout.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
I always play commander first too. I normally go commander -> scout -> warrior. Warrior can then use all the equipment you've found and quickly level, whereas playing catch-up with the other classes is much slower (for me anyway). Commander with spider (and in best case scenario faerie + astral energy) is probably the safest dragon killer. Also good for killing cults.

I think a heavily geared warrior is the only way to kill 3+ dragons though.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Commander and Wizard are really good, but also require the most knowledge of the game. You've got to figure out which unit- and spell combos you can use to clear the harder camps and work towards those. It's easier, but not necessarily more efficient, to just stick swordsmen and a healer in front of your Ranger or go solo Warrior.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Davincie posted:

The best way to kill a dragon is either with a scout and a bunch of cheap blockers surrounding him to keep him from being burned or just a solo warrior. Both strategies have worked without failinng for me. No success with wizards or commanders yet though. In fact I haven't ever had a commander be useful.

Anyone know if its even possible to form an alliance with others? I had the good bearded guy and the fairy being friendly with me for ages during a match (since I, thanks to a good starting position was way stronger then them combined) and constantly bribing me with money and neither would accept my alliance requests. On that note, anyone notice their positions on you changing from indifferent in the metagame at all? And finally anyone had problems with some achievements like having the a full item set and completing a shard without units dying unlocking? I did both on that easy one without effect.

I know that it's possible to work towards one of several joint overall win/ending with certain other masters by allying with them on the astral - I wouldn't be surprised if that made them ally with you within the individual shards.

Dropbear posted:

Yeah, I've played with good karma so far (the astral screen shows me as <player> the Pure) but I still get the "Inquisitors attack your province!" / "Barbarians attack!" / "Harpies attack!" / "Fire destroys sawmill!" / "Monolith gets cursed!" / "Prince conquers your lands!" / "Dark cult uses your altar to sacrifice babies!" constantly. The only upside seems to be that at times pilgrims bring me free items; sometimes these are rather powerful, sometimes rubbish.

EDIT: What I'm curious about is how the different choices in the "Your officials are corrupted"-events affect things. Is arranging a court session for show the best option in reducing corruption? It costs 300 gold, while fining the officials gives me 500. I could also execute them, but I suppose that lowers karma?

Also, bit of a late reply to this, but in the first game, a lot of those bad events you listed weren't just bad luck/karma - many of the locations you can find when you explore a province can cause events to occur if you leave them untouched for too long - like there's an inquisition base somewhere nearby when you start getting regular visits, and if you take them out they'll go away. I believe harpies are similar and pop into provinces neighboring whichever wild province they're in.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 27, 2013

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I used to think wizards were the go-to for a gold-starved start, but swordsmen and healers are expensive, even with proper resources. Outfitting a warrior has a big upfront cost, but that's more than compensated by the fact he doesn't need ~35 gold per turn in army upkeep, and since all of his skills directly increase his stats, he's not as dependent on gear and spells, either.

That said, I think I'll try getting a commander first on my next game. Otherwise I tend to put them off for too long and they never get to a really high level.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Has anyone been able to complete Zarr's quest to find a gear in Iron Feet? I control literally all provinces on this shard and there isn't a goblin province named that, and all the other goblin provinces haven't turned up anything of worth. What was the reward if you did manage to complete it?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The problem I had with Commanders is, that he depends on having high level units but keeps losing experienced units. If you encounter a camp with 5+ ranged units they will kill your tier1 and tier2 units in one turn. I've yet to find a way around that.
With a warrior or scout you don't really need to care, just buy new level1 units as they keep dying. Not having to worry about units dying also makes autoresolve possible.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Davincie posted:

Has anyone been able to complete Zarr's quest to find a gear in Iron Feet? I control literally all provinces on this shard and there isn't a goblin province named that, and all the other goblin provinces haven't turned up anything of worth. What was the reward if you did manage to complete it?

I am having the same problem, but the trick is that the Iron Feet province is next to an enemy's castle in my game, and they explore it to 100% before I can even get to it, presumably killing whatever easy peasy thing the goblins have defending the event.

Edit: Got it, had to reload half a dozen times to try to get to it before the AI destroyed the goblins. They have a troll and slugs, so you have a little time since the AI is a complete sissy when it comes to risking its forces. The reward is 200 energy or a schematic you don't have. I got the Monstrologist's guild which I have been seeing on some shards but hadn't gotten yet.

Also it is a human province with a goblin tower in it, not a goblin province.

Tellaris fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 30, 2013

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I just did that quest last night. I actually almost forgot about it and had to 'retreat' from a Siege so that I could get it. Nothing you couldn't miss out on though, so if you're just burning through the shards there's you'll get whatever later on. It wasn't even something scaled particularly high for me since I was/am at tier 4.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
Finally finished Genesis using the talisman ending. Think it took me 46 shards. I kept raising the skill level as I got better, and was playing on master by the last few shards fwiw.

Overall a great game, if a bit repetitive. Increasing difficulty any time I started to get bored really helped though.

Purchased and loaded up MotBW hoping for new content, was disappointed. Worse, the game really is clunkier and harder to interact with (and is it just me or is it impossible to see # of dungeons in a province from the world map?), and in return you get some updated graphics... Yikes.

Anyhow I got enough use out of Genesis that I don't feel bad about wasting $20, but it was wasted.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Are there worlds of Sand and worlds of Fear in Genesis? Have you played them in MotBW yet? Those two world types had an actual impact on how I played, rather than just being short on resources most of the time. Worlds of Sand roughly triple troop stamina use, which turns the tactical combat into a hilarious comedy of tired troops staggering around, and undead become a horrific unrelenting foe. Worlds of Fear make morale an important short term and long-term consideration. I had to bench troops in my capitol for a dozen turns to regain their nerve after they served in my shield wall. Inspiration could have shortened that time, but my commanders' turns were always more valuable spent on something else.

Also, you can see the number of locations in a province by waiting for the province tool-tip to expand. That's an annoying thing that's pretty much universally true in the game, the tool-tips pop up with the name, and then a couple seconds later expand to include all the information. The last patch added the terrain to a unit's tooltip, so you can actually tell if your soldier is in a forest or if there's just a couple decorative trees.

Also, MotBW pretty clearly has the AI cheat in combat against independents. I've been bottled up, unable to break through the third ring because every province has 2-3 rank III enemies and then a level 8 AI hero with rank I units will break through for me and I can take all their provinces without a real struggle. Except their capitol. That always has minotaur guards or something similar and I have to loot dungeons until I can kill them.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
I know this is probably a stupid question, but I can't figure out how to trade / sell resources. I'd like to sell my crystals for gold. How do you do this?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Dahbadu posted:

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I can't figure out how to trade / sell resources. I'd like to sell my crystals for gold. How do you do this?

You need to build an Alchemists' Guild (it's one of the mage guild buildings, I think it's the second or third upgrade) to transmute gems into gold (at a 1:1 ratio), or gold into gems (at a 25:1) ratio.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
So I've just started playing this and am trying to conquer my first shard. Only I've figured out more of how to play it very slowly so now I'm playing whackamole with the enemy heroes with my actual guy and my crappy rear end scout I'm trying to level until he's threatening. Is there a way to repair armor outside of your home province? What are the penalties for losing a shard and starting over?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Are the achievements still not working for anyone else?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Benagain posted:

So I've just started playing this and am trying to conquer my first shard. Only I've figured out more of how to play it very slowly so now I'm playing whackamole with the enemy heroes with my actual guy and my crappy rear end scout I'm trying to level until he's threatening. Is there a way to repair armor outside of your home province? What are the penalties for losing a shard and starting over?

You can repair your stuff by building a storehouse in the province where your hero is, which is unlocked by the Market in your home province.

If I remember, you can't actually restart a shard. Instead, you can surrender which will cause the shard to disappear and your astral energy income to lower. The unlocks from the lost shard will reappear latter in another shard, so you don't permanently lose the unlocks. Unless you're sure that you are beaten and that there isn't anything you can do about it, then you really shouldn't surrender. If you're playing whackamole with enemy heroes then it sounds like you're probably winning. Depending on how much you're dominating enemy heroes, you might consider just rushing towards the enemy home province rather then playing a war of attrition.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
http://groupees.com/bm9

eador + genesis for $5

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

And the soundtrack! It's awesome to work by if you like epic-scale fantasy type things.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The game got updated:

Improvements:

Changed and improved interface for rituals’ window on the strategic map.
Changed and improved interface for rituals’ tooltips.
Changed and improved interface for sights in the strategic map.
Changed and improved interface for provincial constructions on the strategic map.
Changed and improved interface for guards’ window on the strategic map.
Changed and improved interface for spells’ window on the tactical map.
Changed and improved interface for spells’ tooltips.
Added ability to control the province (hire guards, construct buildings, etc.) in the province’s info-window (in the bottom right corner).
Icons for units and items are now clickable in all windows, an information windows is showed after a mouse button click
Reworked skill information window for heroes/units and terrain information on the tactical map. They are now auto-scaled and can be changed. All tooltips are displayed normally, without covering the mouse cursor and an item.
Added visual clue for inability to construct buildings in the Citadel and provinces, perform a ritual and hire a guard during the current turn.
Achievements can now be viewed in the game and be exported to the Steam account.
Added ‘Lord of Bones’ achievement (summon over 50 skeletons or zombies in a battle for the shard).
Added two spells for multiplayer: ‘Create Golem’ and ‘Summon Phoenix’.
Increased available screen resolutions number that can be selected in the game.
Unified window close buttons.
Added detailed tooltips for difficulty levels.
Unit information can now be viewed during a shard attack.
Icon for building status in its tooltip is replaced with the text.
Improved tooltip for gold and gems status on the lower panel.
Scout that takes the path of Warrior (‘Adventurer’) now gains ‘Second Wind’ skill on level 10 (moving and attacking in the same turn without spending additional energy) and ‘Swiftness’ skill on level 20 (moving after the attack).
A few other small improvements.

Fixed:

‘Can’t Stop Building’ achievement.
‘Collector’ achievement.
Item sets not working correctly.
A bug that caused stamina to decrease before the shot happens.
All resources in the Necromancy window are now displayed correctly.
Incorrect location of the spells in multiplayer.
A bug that let player deploy army on the arena for AI.
A bug that caused disappearance of the whole garrison left in a province after upgrading Outpost to Fort.
Some letters getting cut out in the hero’s level up window.
Esc button working incorrectly in informational windows on the tactical map in some cases.
Hotkeys not working in a neutral shop.
Building tooltip covering contruction button on lower screen resolutions. Tooltips display is now generally improved on lower resolutions.
Inability to exit the province list after pressing Esc button.
Dialog bugs.
Tooltips covered by the lower panel on the strategic map.
Highlight of clickable elements on the astral map.
Incorrect display of the tooltip after closing radial province menu.
Battle result’s tooltip bug when attacking a province without guards.
Inactive shards on the astral map.
Province siege by rebels without a fight.
Player’s units not being selected after turn’s end if AI units weren’t able to do anything before that.
Game crash caused by transition to the tactical map after the ‘slugs attack’ event.
Game speeding up after quickly giving orders to two units.
AI’s turn freeze caused by it having more than 4 heroes and having opportunity to attack enemy capital.
Rare bug that doubled unit’s death if the hero had ‘Master of the Undead’ skill.
Empty trophy window after clearing an ambush.
Missing number for damage by towers during capital’s siege.
Game’s logic breach caused by long animation and inaccurate action order after the double shot.
Game’s logic breach after calculation of the shooting results during fast orders giving.
Synchronization bugs in attack and death animations on the tactical map.
Game freeze caused by transition to the tactical map when player’s province was in rebellion and he chose to suppress it with his army.

Despite not getting mentioned there are reports of the crystal only giving kill bowmen quests being fixed too. Next patch is going to have hotseat mode apparently.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Davincie posted:

Despite not getting mentioned there are reports of the crystal only giving kill bowmen quests being fixed too. Next patch is going to have hotseat mode apparently.

WTB real multiplayer. Honestly, why is that so hard?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Good to see that this game is still being worked on.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Unless I missed something, that chatlog does not make it sound like they fixed the horrible polymorph unit selection bug. So every game you start is still essentially a timebomb. :/

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Gimmick Account posted:

Unless I missed something, that chatlog does not make it sound like they fixed the horrible polymorph unit selection bug. So every game you start is still essentially a timebomb. :/

What is that?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

They did fix some bugs not mentioned so while I haven't encountered that bug in my extensive playtime you might be in luck. However I have heard that the campaign is now totally unplayable thanks to a crash bug in the astral screen so be wary of that.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
Oh, alright. The campaign is the only reason I want to play the game, so I better wait some more.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

WYA posted:

What is that?

When a polymorphed creature dies, that hex becomes totally unselectable by either you OR the AI (causing the next combat turn in which a unit settles down inside it never to end), for the duration of the shard. Now imagine if you built up money/experience through liberal use of arena fights... Yeah.

It's made all my longer games completely unplayable, and I was REALLY hoping that this patch would have fixed the issue. Alas.

EDIT: slight clarification!

Gniwu fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 18, 2013

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
So I fired up MOTBW the first time and god, what have they done with the interface. :(

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Hah, I sort of wish they had an iron man option for Eador so I wouldnt be tempted to save scum.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
oops. edit.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
Hey guys, what's the state of the Masters of the Broken World? Any patches planned for the future or are they done now? Is Genesis still superior or is MOTBW worth playing now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tarquinn posted:

Hey guys, what's the state of the Masters of the Broken World? Any patches planned for the future or are they done now? Is Genesis still superior or is MOTBW worth playing now?

I'd argue that MOTBW is significantly better now, and has been for a while. The last patch in September fixed most of the remaining issues (except possibly the polymorph bug; my latest run hasn't used that spell yet, so I couldn't really say). They are allegedly, according to the developer themselves, continuing to work on it, as well, but their track record on releasing patches in a timely fashion is... highly questionable.

Edit: apparently they're fairly certain they'll have a new, fairly big patch out by the end of February. So, March maybe.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 11, 2014

• Locked thread