Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Carry a medical toolbelt with a hypospray for each damage type, and a scalpel/saw. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I wonder if there's a way to track "lives saved" as an end-of-round mechanic. I'm not sure how exactly except maybe "some action you took on a person caused them to go from critical to normal health," but it would be a fun way to recognize the doctors (or borgs) who actually make an effort to keep people going.

Also an achievement (at round's end, if possible) for saving the life of an antagonist.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Do people really read the cheevos any more.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Yeah, MD is probably my favorite job aside from maybe AI. One thing that's not been mentioned that I find it helpful to do is to grab a calomel pill from the machine, dissolve it in a beaker, and then fill syringes with it (the pill is probably more calomel than any one person needs). Great for people who manage to stagger to Medbay after trying the barman's latest concoction. Calomel gets the poison out, charcoal heals them afterwards.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Check it out I made a new QM console.

for reference, the current static one

scamtank fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 11, 2014

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
That's badass scamtank!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Calomel can't actually kill you. If you're under 25 health, the tox damage it normally does will not take effect. Combined with its fast decay, a pill is perfectly fine for most poisons that aren't immediately murderous. Basically the problem with injecting calomel is that there isn't a mid-ground toxin that approach would be very helpful for. There's basically 3 levels of poison:
1) Whatever - this is stuff like atrazine and toxin, not that big of a deal even in large doses. Just treat this with charcoal, there is absolutely no reason to use a more exotic chem.
2) Oh gently caress - this is stuff like curare and pancuronium and that one toxin that comes from white mushrooms. Whatever they have in their body, they need out of it. NOW. Throw a pill of calomel in there. Don't be stingy, it's imperative that this poison get the hell out of their system yesterday.
3) OH MY HOLY CHRIST - Sarin, histamine overdoses, and the like. Without targeted treatment usually per-chem these victims will be dead very quickly. And even with targeted treatment they might not make it.

If you can get access to chem to make a large amount of Pentetic Acid, though, the other posters are correct about how amazing it is. It basically combines potassium iodide, charcoal, and calomel into a goddamn superchem.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The overdose and addiction of omnizine are really unnecessary, I think. It's a rare healing chemical that's barely available to the average MD, and I think all the bad side effects of it should be removed. It should be the holy grail of medicine, not "that's ok I guess".

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Thanks for the instructions, Coolguye.

oblongus
Sep 2, 2011
If somebody is about to die then having calomel or pentetic acid in their system makes things harder, my favourite dramatic medbay deaths happened because of other doctors dosing poison victims with too much of one of those. Use small doses to clear the poison and treat with normal medicine if the patient is well hosed.

re: omnizine - I don't think it is addictive and the only effect of overdose is short stuns, it's good for you.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

oblongus posted:

If somebody is about to die then having calomel or pentetic acid in their system makes things harder, my favourite dramatic medbay deaths happened because of other doctors dosing poison victims with too much of one of those. Use small doses to clear the poison and treat with normal medicine if the patient is well hosed.

re: omnizine - I don't think it is addictive and the only effect of overdose is short stuns, it's good for you.

Calomel is a nightmare if it's in the system, yeah, but pentetic isn't bad. You can cure burn/brute instantly, and suffocation with a defib if the patient is that far gone. Pentetic heals tox really quickly (three times faster than charcoal!) though, so it's not really a concern to have that in the system if the patient is heavily poisoned.

oblongus
Sep 2, 2011
When the guy is dosed with pentetic I have no chance of curing the heart failure with atropine, instead of the normal low chance.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Hey btw:

Coolguye posted:

Calomel can't actually kill you. If you're under 2520 health, the tox damage it normally does will not take effect.

This is also in the recipe manager, and the data was adapted from one of Cogwerks's posts. Calomel is not 'a nightmare' in someone's system by any stretch of the imagination. If someone's already in crit it's doing no damage at all.

The main issue with dosing someone with calomel is that it requires that you delay administering other lifesaving chemicals. You can't administer saline or epinephrine while calomel is active, because the calomel will just purge that too.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
On the subject of doctoring, I feel like I can treat most afflictions with only a few tools, but they can take a while to prep (15 minutes or so, I usually announce that medbay has hit gold standard when I'm done). When I feel like being a competent doctor, these are my steps:

1. Personal preparations come first. Raid a mechanical toolbox, breath mask on, fill up an emergency oxygen tank from the cryo canister and pop it on the belt slot. ProDocs are essential. Grab at least one spray bottle, there are two very close and a fair number of others scattered around. I try to get one for healing, one for personal defense, because a spray bottle is one of the deadliest things on the station.
2. Make the medbay lobby self serve. You can loot 8 standard, 3 fire, 3 toxin, and 2 oxy deprivation kits from around medbay. You can generally tell I'm on duty when they're all in the lobby, because the less piddling cases stinking up the place the happier I am. Keeps wanderers, thieves and violent nerds out as much as possible and buys you the time to do the nest steps.
3. Bust into chemistry to make some real healing chems. Dump a reserve tank, put in 10 units of blood, sugar, phosphorous and potassium to make a big cloud of blood. Scoop up 30 units, make a pill, do that twice. Set yourself up with 30 units styptic, 30 units carbon, dump the pill in and fill a spraybottle. Congrats, that's going to be your tool against all forms of brute and burn - a point blank spray will apply 5 units three times, healing 22.5 of each. I typically spike my synthflesh with cleaner to keep it neat, and keep a backup reserve tank stashed somewhere in case I run out.
4. Pentetic acid next. Try to make at 60 units or more, this stuff is fantastic. Fill a hypospray, stash the rest. Much, much better at flushing poisons than charcoal without the side effects of calomel - and the radbower's #1 hate, because it's the best thing for radiation too. Use it to flush chems or emergency tox healing more than normal tox healing as it's only twice as effective as charcoal at that, and the anti-tox charcoal pills are pretty huge - 50 units each!
5. A syringe of atropine for those emergency sarin cases and a second hypo of saline to treat shock.

That's pretty much all I carry. Works on just about everything but total heart failure (I don't like to hog the defib in case someone else needs it) or overwhelming (300+) damage. Don't forget you can use CPR to treat oxy damage.

If I get really bored, I make cryostylane-cryoxodone pills, meth, and my second spraybottle into the deadliest goddamn thing on the station.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Synthflesh is great if you're going out as an ambulance medic, but if you're hanging around medbay I feel like it's kind of pointless. Not including the ones in the medkits, medbay has 20 brute and burn slappers that are just ready from the get go. Pentetic is pretty amazing no matter what though, poisons that require calomel require so much attention from the doctor normally.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I do do the ambulance thing when called, but it's more a matter of inventory management for me to make synthflesh.

To change tack a bit: I need sleepypen ideas. I've worked out a hilariously effective method of jabbing most of the station, to the point that people have complained about a cloakpenner. I've yet to be caught or even suspected, it's that good.

Things that I have put into my sleepypen routine include
Traitor poisons (spider eggs, coniine, prions, all appropriately watered down to avoid waste, and all the less stellar ones)
Mercury
Nanites
Moonshine & Suicider for extreme intoxication
Port
Stable mutagen + lovely Bill blood
Radium & Unstable Mutagen mix for that 1-2 radiation punch

I'm down to the point where I'm thinking of trying itching powder or a hyperglycemic shock mix, just gimmicky poo poo that I'll probably spend more time making than penning. The one thing I can't do that would give me away is stuff that has an instantly noticeable effect. As stealthy as I can be, I need a little time to get some distance between me and a target before they realize they've been penned, so fiery chems are out, as is my idea of filling a pen with 1 unit of every addicitive chem I could think of.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
How do you water down stuff anyway?

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

dogstile posted:

Add extra fun stuff like mercury or radium. Really anything to take up some space in the pen so you have more od the limited amount of poison you get int he bottle.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013

dogstile posted:

Make your mix outside the pen, in a beaker or the like. Add ten units of your poison, water down with whatever else you can get your hands on. Water, welding fuel, or Discount Dan's for the hobochem route, or anything else if you have access to a ChemMaster. Return ten units of the mix to the pen, stab someone, add another ten units, and so on.

Very, very good for making those disease reagents stretch, or the amazingly deadly ones.

Shadowbag
Jun 1, 2011

When shitposting, it's always important to properly stretch first.
Soiled Meat

Grayshift posted:

...To change tack a bit: I need sleepypen ideas...
I'm down to the point where I'm thinking of trying itching powder or a hyperglycemic shock mix, just gimmicky poo poo that I'll probably spend more time making than penning...

Try filling a pen with Very High Fructose Corn Syrup. A single unit of that stuff breaks down into six or so of sugar, so jabbing someone with 50 units of the stuff translates to the biggest sugar coma you can give someone.

You can also make your own, too! Try sticking some VHFCS from a Dan cup in a reagent analyzer for a hint.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The poison that comes out of white mushrooms (Amantin?) is the ultimate sneaky poison. It does no damage whatsoever until it leaves your system, at which point it slams you with a truckload of stored tox damage. Even just 20 units is enough to gently caress someone over into crit, just go 40/60 amantin/water and you are ready to murder two people.

That's not very fun though. Dose it right and people just keel over dead. Dose it wrong and they stumble to medbay and get jacked up with charcoal and are later fine. Then again, the screaming that would accompany that might be pretty fun.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(
Way to doctor: examine them and slap the sticker on them that is applicable, if they tell you "I have been shot by a radbow." inject them with anti-tox.

I mean yeah you can be fancy but when you haven't bothered to learn any of the new chems this is the easiest thing. I have to ask which one is anti-tox every time I need it :(.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Klayboxx posted:

Way to doctor: examine them and slap the sticker on them that is applicable, if they tell you "I have been shot by a radbow." inject them with anti-tox.

I mean yeah you can be fancy but when you haven't bothered to learn any of the new chems this is the easiest thing. I have to ask which one is anti-tox every time I need it :(.

I fill a hypo with potassium iodine and set it to inject 15 at a time. One spray and radbow rads go away in about a minute. Give a little antitox and a mutadone pill just in case.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
I think signal jammers are bugged and don't work anymore. Twice now where I've had it activated and someone's still been able to call for help. Can anyone else confirm?

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Klayboxx posted:

Yeah okay, but this is similar to the chef going "I can't be arsed to learn how this works, so here's your food: a packet of uncooked sperghetti, no sauce".

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
One round I was loving around in space and made the mistake of trying to enter the derelict with the exposed nuclear reactor core. You used to be able to tell you were in a hi-rad environment by the trefoil icon, but cogs removed it, so I realized too late I was burning inside out. I made a dash for the pod, and back to the station, and made it to medbay a shivering, puking mess. Luckily, an MD had built five medbots, arranged in a cross in the medbay foyer. She dragged me to the middle of the cross, and in a few seconds I was back on my feet, healed to 100%

The moral is, don't get fancy, make a ton of medbots and let them do your job better than you ever could

(developers: can you make it so radiation poisoning makes your hair fall off?)

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds to me like that setup should've been in the Chapel :v:

Matty
Oct 29, 2010

Grayshift posted:

I do do the ambulance thing when called, but it's more a matter of inventory management for me to make synthflesh.

To change tack a bit: I need sleepypen ideas. I've worked out a hilariously effective method of jabbing most of the station, to the point that people have complained about a cloakpenner. I've yet to be caught or even suspected, it's that good.

Things that I have put into my sleepypen routine include
Traitor poisons (spider eggs, coniine, prions, all appropriately watered down to avoid waste, and all the less stellar ones)
Mercury
Nanites
Moonshine & Suicider for extreme intoxication
Port
Stable mutagen + lovely Bill blood
Radium & Unstable Mutagen mix for that 1-2 radiation punch

I'm down to the point where I'm thinking of trying itching powder or a hyperglycemic shock mix, just gimmicky poo poo that I'll probably spend more time making than penning. The one thing I can't do that would give me away is stuff that has an instantly noticeable effect. As stealthy as I can be, I need a little time to get some distance between me and a target before they realize they've been penned, so fiery chems are out, as is my idea of filling a pen with 1 unit of every addicitive chem I could think of.

One trick I like to to do is fill a pen with cfl3, smokepowder and blackpowder, preheat pyrosium in another beaker, then add the pyrosium to the pen and quickly jab someone (if you wait too long to jab someone, you're in trouble) If all goes well your target will erupt in flames, then a short while later will erupt in a cloud of fire and blackpowder that will then explode.

You can do this with poisons too, although spider eggs don't work in smoke :mad: probably just as well really!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

How do you fill something with smoke powder without it just instantly turning into smoke?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Mix the smoke powder components in a container with a stabilising agent (Iron, Oxygen, Water) in it first.

This used to be how you made napalm without setting everything (Including yourself) on fire.

e: To set the smoke off, use a timer/igniter or combine with a heating chem.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Matty posted:

One trick I like to to do is fill a pen with cfl3, smokepowder and blackpowder, preheat pyrosium in another beaker, then add the pyrosium to the pen and quickly jab someone (if you wait too long to jab someone, you're in trouble) If all goes well your target will erupt in flames, then a short while later will erupt in a cloud of fire and blackpowder that will then explode.

You can do this with poisons too, although spider eggs don't work in smoke :mad: probably just as well really!

Why try to time the smoke powder when you can just create the smoke inside of them? :getin: Hint: chocolate decays into sugar but only after a 1-2 second delay.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

ohrwurm posted:

Why try to time the smoke powder when you can just create the smoke inside of them? :getin: Hint: chocolate decays into sugar but only after a 1-2 second delay.

doing it this way smokes all the reagents in their bloodsteam and isn't an efficient way to poison the person you're penning.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Fun thing to do as a borg is to make a synthflesh-sugar patch and a phosphorous-potassium patch.

Go around sticking them on people in sequence, and not only do you turn the station into the janitor's worst nightmare, but you also heal people en-masse with the smoke cloud.

It's a great way to heal groups of people with minor injuries.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Zamujasa posted:

Fun thing to do as a borg is to make a synthflesh-sugar patch and a phosphorous-potassium patch.

Go around sticking them on people in sequence, and not only do you turn the station into the janitor's worst nightmare, but you also heal people en-masse with the smoke cloud.

It's a great way to heal groups of people with minor injuries.

I don't play janitor often, but I hate you for sharing this.

LeadRobot
Dec 9, 2010

Life's hard when your feet are the size of a house and also toxic.
Just....one unit of space cleaner.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Motherfucker posted:

doing it this way smokes all the reagents in their bloodsteam and isn't an efficient way to poison the person you're penning.

But were we talking about poisons or ClF3 and black powder?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

ohrwurm posted:

But were we talking about poisons or ClF3 and black powder?

Oh yeah, that would work.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I don't play janitor often, but I hate you for sharing this.

Space cleaner smoke is a thing, right? Why not follow the borg around with some patches for space cleaner smoke? Turn it into a game of tag or something.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
What happens when a vampire attacks you in Toxins Storage while you are in the middle of building a transfer bomb? He doesn't turn the valve to stop the super-heated tank of plasma from exploding and dies in a massive explosion and fire. Sweet sweet revenge from beyond the grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to
Things I've learned: sending yourself through the mail does not get you past spatial tears and will in fact simply dump you out of the chute at the point of the tear.

e: all this med and chem talk has been amazing. I need to up my doctor game; it's my favorite thing to do but I'm not a good chemist.

• Locked thread